Green Noon download copy-protection error question...

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Green Noon download copy-protection error question...

Postby King Kool » 10 Mar 2008, 11:56

I was going to mess with the download of Green Noon 'cause I had a idea for a funny movie to break it down into (if I could get the green screen to work). The problem is, once I got the thing on my Mac, it refuses to recognize the file in any editing software. I can play it in Quicktime just tine, but in Final Cut, it thinks it's a big, blank picture. I can't upload it at all to iMovie, iDVD, or DVD Studio Pro; it says the file is "copy-protected."

I did download it on my PC (my mac doesn't go on the internet), but could that really be the problem? Anyone else have an idea?
AndyTheSkanker

Re: Green Noon download copy-protection error question...

Postby AndyTheSkanker » 10 Mar 2008, 11:59

King Kool wrote:I was going to mess with the download of Green Noon 'cause I had a idea for a funny movie to break it down into (if I could get the green screen to work). The problem is, once I got the thing on my Mac, it refuses to recognize the file in any editing software. I can play it in Quicktime just tine, but in Final Cut, it thinks it's a big, blank picture. I can't upload it at all to iMovie, iDVD, or DVD Studio Pro; it says the file is "copy-protected."

I did download it on my PC (my mac doesn't go on the internet), but could that really be the problem? Anyone else have an idea?

Yep. DRM. Preventing you sharing it.
Kick her in the taco, paco
Non Sequiteur Champagne!
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 10 Mar 2008, 12:02

I guess that makes sense so I don't just chop off the LRR and put on Ebaumsworld.com or something. Still, weak.
AndyTheSkanker

Postby AndyTheSkanker » 10 Mar 2008, 12:06

Just hook your mac up and DL the bitch =P.

Non Sequiteur Champagne!

Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Postby Paul » 10 Mar 2008, 12:13

As far as I know, there is no DRM on LRR videos. It could be something that Revver has started adding, but they haven't mentioned anything about it. There is some special code at the end of all the videos to display the ad, I guess that might be messing things up for non-Quicktime programs.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 10 Mar 2008, 12:17

AndyTheSkanker wrote:Just hook your mac up and DL the bitch =P.

That would be difficult, and I doubt it would make a difference. I'm just wondering if there's a way out of it.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 10 Mar 2008, 12:46

Just for kicks, I'm gonna download it on my XP machine and see if that makes a difference.

Edit: Nope. Made no difference. I doubt the means of transmission matters much and it's something to do with the file itself.

Edit 2: This was discussed in the Green Noon thread when Unlucky was trying something and could not upload the format to Premiere. I don't know if it was ever solved.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 10 Mar 2008, 14:48

All right. As a lark, I downloaded "The Mirror" to see if it would work, and it's not even the same file type (this was when they used MP4s). I think the little ad at the end is what's causing the trouble. When it's played in Quicktime, it sits there trying to load the advertisement. I'm guessing FCP doesn't know what to do with that part of the file and it spoils the whole thing.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 10 Mar 2008, 15:25

If I remember (AND THAT'S A BIG "IF") I'll try and throw a non-Revver one up on the site somewhere.
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 10 Mar 2008, 17:03

Well, you gotcher bad news, and you gotcher good news. First, your bad news. Are you ready? You ready for it? Are you?

BAM!

ahem.

And then, you gotcher good news:

IR 1337 vid-h4x0r

This should be 100% editable.
-Wraith
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 10 Mar 2008, 17:09

Graham wrote:If I remember (AND THAT'S A BIG "IF") I'll try and throw a non-Revver one up on the site somewhere.

That would be excellent, but don't bust your butt on my account.

Wraith wrote: This should be 100% editable.

That's great, except it's a WMV file.

(downloads it anyway)
Wraith

Postby Wraith » 10 Mar 2008, 17:14

Yes, it is WMV. I figured, if I was going to convert it to an easily editable file format, why not choose, you know...a good one.
-Wraith
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 10 Mar 2008, 17:19

Wraith wrote:Yes, it is WMV. I figured, if I was going to convert it to an easily editable file format, why not choose, you know...a good one.

What I meant was, other than the quality loss (which would make keying harder), I don't know how to make a WMV work on my Mac. I wrestled that bear back in September and the bear won.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 10 Mar 2008, 17:21

King Kool wrote:I don't know how to make a WMV work on my Mac. I wrestled that bear back in September and the bear won.

Dude, fuck that bear up:
http://www.flip4mac.com
http://www.perian.org
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 10 Mar 2008, 17:31

I guess I didn't wrestle for very long.
AndyTheSkanker

Postby AndyTheSkanker » 10 Mar 2008, 17:38

Dude. Next time, kick it in the crotch with the good ol' google boot =P

Non Sequiteur Champagne!

King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 10 Mar 2008, 17:39

The googles do nothing...
Wraith

Postby Wraith » 10 Mar 2008, 17:40

King Kool wrote:
Wraith wrote:Yes, it is WMV. I figured, if I was going to convert it to an easily editable file format, why not choose, you know...a good one.

What I meant was, other than the quality loss (which would make keying harder), I don't know how to make a WMV work on my Mac. I wrestled that bear back in September and the bear won.

Wow, mac won't edit a format compatible with every other video editor I've ever seen.

Windows - Because compatibility is fun.
-Wraith
AndyTheSkanker

Postby AndyTheSkanker » 10 Mar 2008, 17:44

Wraith wrote:
King Kool wrote:

Wow, mac won't edit a format compatible with every other video editor I've ever seen.

Windows - Because compatibility is fun.

Ubuntu can.

Linux - Fuck gaming. We just do everything else better. Buy a damn console. Hippy.

Non Sequiteur Champagne!

Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 10 Mar 2008, 17:45

Hey Wraith, blame Microsoft (or, THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE WINDOWS) because they stopped supporting the WMV9 codec for Mac years ago. Which is why those other things had to be made.

And now Final Cut has no problem with it. FCP can even export it.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 10 Mar 2008, 18:03

Right now, I'm looking for some way to just snip whatever's on the end of the MOV file off. If I use the WMV and then re-convert it to MOV, if there's any more loss, I dunno how good of a key I could even attempt with it. Movie Maker doesn't understand the MOV file and Quicktime doesn't have any native editing, even on the mac, near as I know. If there's some way to export it to my camera, then I can re-import it without loss.
Wraith

Postby Wraith » 10 Mar 2008, 19:13

Graham wrote:Hey Wraith, blame Microsoft (or, THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE WINDOWS) because they stopped supporting the WMV9 codec for Mac years ago. Which is why those other things had to be made.

And now Final Cut has no problem with it. FCP can even export it.

I'm confused. Firstly, I'm not sure what you mean by "they stopped supporting it." It's a codec. Once it's out there, what more is there to do? I dunno, I'm not a big video person, maybe I'm missing something.

Secondly, which is why WHAT other things had to be made?

I dunno, I've just always hate quicktime and everything related to it. The player (that they've developed for well over a decade now) is the only media player I can think of that doesn't have a "stay on top while playing" option, and untill a year or two ago, the only thing that would play .mov files on a PC was Quicktime and Realplayer (and even then you had to have Quicktime installed, because the codec wasn't available alone).

Personally, I'm hoping that with the popularity of Youtube, MyspaceTV etc., more players and editors will include built-in support for FLV files.
-Wraith
Wraith

Postby Wraith » 10 Mar 2008, 20:12

Best I could do. WMV, AVI and MPEG-4.
-Wraith
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 10 Mar 2008, 20:32

I can't get to my Mac right now, so I'll have to test it later. I think the MPEG-4 might work, and I MIGHT be able to convert the AVI. We'll have to see tomorrow.

Thank you very much.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 10 Mar 2008, 22:09

Wraith wrote:Personally, I'm hoping that with the popularity of Youtube, MyspaceTV etc., more players and editors will include built-in support for FLV files.

Quicktime does :D

The issue is that Microsoft didn't make the SDK for WMV9 public for the longest time, and didn't update Media Player beyond v9. Meaning no Mac developers could use the codec because MS wouldn't let them know how.

But it's all sorted now.

I can't wait to see what you come up with, King Kool.

Return to “General Discussion”