Deeply Religious

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Captain Derk
First Video: Keytars

Postby Captain Derk » 14 Apr 2008, 16:04

Excellent vid. Nicely written. Loved the opening gag.

I would pay good money to see a papal steel-chair cage match.

And Ash as a naughty nun? Epic win.

[edit] Speaking of the writing; "Kevin Barnes" is a nod to Of Montreal, isn't it?[/edit]
Last edited by Captain Derk on 14 Apr 2008, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.
King Kool wrote:Captain Derk, you are my hero.
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 14 Apr 2008, 16:07

Y'know, this video really needed a "look at the wang on St. Matthew!" joke.

Hindsight is always 20/20. (And we could always stand to see a few more hinds, if you know what I mean.)
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
RoomKeyNinja

Postby RoomKeyNinja » 14 Apr 2008, 16:10

Whatchamabiscut wrote:Really? I though that recently they had been going somewhat downhill with Unnatural Resources and the like but this was their epic return to greatness! (Customer Servicing was good to, just not as good).

That's why I said it has more to do with me then the jokes.

No matter what you're watching, people have different tastes. My two favorite videos on the site are 'bump in the night' and 'Toilet Humor'. Does that mean I think those two videos are the best? Not objectively, but they touch off something that I find funny.

That's why I wanted to be clear I wasn't actually offended, just didn't quite think it was up there with some of the others. You disagree. The best part is, we can both still be fans. Yar.

Also, on the subject of ads, how can I possibly object to an extra joke?
Is eternally grateful to Misty for this .gif
Also plotting how to destroy Bill, as all Ninjas should
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 14 Apr 2008, 16:13

I just realized something. In "Nuntastic", Kathleen states that people want only slightly naughty nuns, and not especially naughty nuns (the whole "nun thigh, but not too much nun thigh" thing). However, Ash seems to fall decidedly on the "especially" naughty nun side of the border. On the other side though, Ash is just the exception, as she makes one smokin' hot especially naughty nun.

...Ok, maybe I'm reading a bit too much into the whole LRR/Naughty Nun thing.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Valandil

Re: Put the ads at the end

Postby Valandil » 14 Apr 2008, 16:18

AlexanderDitto wrote:But I was hoping this would be a Church of the Beatles, what with the first sign. XD

Graham's second wig made him look like a Beatle, I thought. From their earlier stuff with the sensible haircuts and suits, before they went trippy.

Lawman wrote:"LRR T-Shirts: If you buy them, we'll stop with the ads."

I'm not sure this would actually increase sales. I like the ads, thus I would be compelled by such a campaign not to buy any shirts, for fear that the ads would stop. Paul as Badass = win. It took me a while to get that it was an ad -- I only noticed paul wearing the shirt about halfway through it. Absolutely brilliant, though, as all the others have been.

Thoughts on the actual video: Eh ... It was a little silly. Python-esque silly, certainly, but Python-esque on a level that I don't really "get". Not to say that it was or wasn't good -- just not my thing, I guess. I think it tried a bit too hard to do something that could've been achieved more subtly.
theINC

Postby theINC » 14 Apr 2008, 16:34

The ad was bad... ass.

I paused the video to stop my laughing on the "first person to view" thing. That irritates me SOOOOOO much!

Good old "churchy people molest children" jokes. It's true.

Paul whimpering at the Secret Bible is big lols too

I find it funny that no-one cares about New Zealand when Kathleen is from Christchurch.

Slightly naughty nuns FTW.

Where did you film this, just randomly? (Graham's parent's library. Ooook. I should L2 read page 1 before posting)

And, because this video DOESN'T have Morgan in it, does that mean the Podcast will?
Last edited by theINC on 14 Apr 2008, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.
Woland owes me 10 points.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 14 Apr 2008, 16:36

ATTENTION: if you were offended by the content of this video in any way. please watch the following:

http://loadingreadyrun.com/videos/view/63/offensisensitivity

get back to me when you've done so.

that is all.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Pirate Jack

Postby Pirate Jack » 14 Apr 2008, 16:38

I really don't see those as Catholic jokes. Except maybe the molestation bit.

But is anybody really accusing the Catholic church of being too consumerist or too sex-crazy? They're not making fun of the real Catholic Church, they're making fun of a bizarro church.

Ash is hot, as always.

EDIT: Matt, you're right. That video is much more offensive. Fisheye?
Graham and Paul signed my Wiimote. I never have to do anything cool ever again.
AeroCmdr
Requires Additional Pylons

Postby AeroCmdr » 14 Apr 2008, 16:51

Great video! The opening gag was awesome and Ash did make quite the naughty Nun.
Woland

Postby Woland » 14 Apr 2008, 16:58

I was wondering whether the timing of this video had anything to do with the Pope's visit to Yankee Stadium. I know it's not exactly Victoria, but it's the same hemisphere (...).

Also, after thinking about the video a little more I have to say that I really liked Graham's part in it (as a militant athiest I was far from offended), but I found Paul's character a little one-dimensional. I know that in order for the joke to work on the "the priest's character is wildly different from the understood norm of Catholicism" it helps to have a character who represents that "understood norm"; on that level I get the Paul character. However, I feel that a greater depth of this character was sacrificed in order to get to this point. Follow me here...
The one-dimensional seminarian is good for showing the corruption in this fictional version of the Church because you have the publicly known church undermined by the (possible) corruption found beneath the surface. This act of undermining is performed by the seminarian's response to the Secret Bible, etc.

However, it seems to me that the video follows this service more strongly than anything else. Specifically, it seems to me that the video was intended, first, to undermine the church and, second, to entertain the audience with witty observations of contemporary life. This is not a bad thing! There's nothing intrinsically wrong with trying to undermine the church. The only reason I even bring this up is that LRR usually follows this second purpose, the witty observations. For this reason I feel that this video is a little out of place. It's not bad, not poorly written, and Ash is hot (there, I said it). But it's not up to par in terms of witticism found in other videos.

I'm not bashing the video, just observing something that seems to me to explain why some people don't like it as much as others (those that don't like the video, not those who are offended). Kudos if you actually read this far...

Having said all THAT, I feel that the interruption in the beginning was topical, technically useful, and a witty observation of the LRR microcosm.
I was wondering whether that interruption was also penned by Kathleen, or if that was added by Paul and Graham.

Ten points if you read all that.
Zero points if you just skipped down to here.
TheSugarRay

Postby TheSugarRay » 14 Apr 2008, 17:07

I think this may be one of the least offensive offensive jokes about Catholics but only because most of the things mentioned where blazingly silly like the Moslem pope and you made sure to spread the haresey (why can I not spell this word?) to several people groups. Also, the 4th wall break helped to take the edge off the blade by clearly showing that the skit is a step away from reality (I don't know for sure if that was you intention).

There was so much in this video. There is a lot to be said about this video.

Matt wrote:ATTENTION: if you were offended by the content of this video in any way. please watch the following:

http://loadingreadyrun.com/videos/view/63/offensisensitivity

get back to me when you've done so.

that is all.

-m

I don't think that video applies because this stuff is understandingly offensive. In that video everything that is taken as offensive was because of some weird item association hyper-logic that is hard to comprehend. I'm not offended, I probably should be but I'm not.

to end on the best note: Naughty Nuns
...or a baby
Don't fondle energy coils.
mmeh36

Postby mmeh36 » 14 Apr 2008, 17:09

I think my favorite part was Paul having only a 4.68 percent chance of someone taking him up on a molestation offer. He went from indignant to dejected so fast, I almost fell off my chair laughing.
theINC

Postby theINC » 14 Apr 2008, 17:12

Woland wrote:
Ten points if you read all that.
Zero points if you just skipped down to here.

I'll be keeping track in my signature to when I get my ten points.

Also, that was a pretty good rant.

Woland owes me 10 points.
TheSugarRay

Postby TheSugarRay » 14 Apr 2008, 17:12

Pirate Jack wrote:I really don't see those as Catholic jokes. Except maybe the molestation bit.

But is anybody really accusing the Catholic church of being too consumerist or too sex-crazy? They're not making fun of the real Catholic Church, they're making fun of a bizarro church.

Ash is hot, as always.

EDIT: Matt, you're right. That video is much more offensive. Fisheye?

It's hard for me to say ash is hot because when I think about the name ash my mind goes directly to Bruce Campbell's character in the evil dead. The strong chinned, one-liner spouting, chainsaw-handed, zombie slayer...never mind. Now that I reflect on it more it is easy to say that Ash is hot.
...or a baby

Zed Alpha

Postby Zed Alpha » 14 Apr 2008, 17:28

Hm...Ash is sexy in a...very direct way. Bruce Campbell, despite his awesomeness, is a kind of ass-end-of-a-toad ugly that gives him an air of refined handsomeness and raw asskickery.
Frozengale wrote:You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
Nomadic
First Video: Serious Cravings

Postby Nomadic » 14 Apr 2008, 17:28

In order:

Ad: EPIC WIN. Paul = badass with or without the sunglasses / pose...though they did help. XD

Interruption: I couldn't help but rofl. Leave it to LRR to make an inside joke even more hilarious. =D

Side Note: Ash as naughty nun...HOT. Remind me of Sin City for some reason. >.>

Also, as long as you take this as comedy designed to be COMPLETELY WRONG IN EVERY ASPECT, you shouldn't be offended by it. It's SUPPOSED to be jaw-down wrong. XD
Successfully lurking since 1709.
TheSugarRay

Postby TheSugarRay » 14 Apr 2008, 17:34

Zed Alpha wrote:Hm...Ash is sexy in a...very direct way. Bruce Campbell, despite his awesomeness, is a kind of ass-end-of-a-toad ugly that gives him an air of refined handsomeness and raw asskickery.

No argument, I'd just like to throw in a "bad-ass-ass-kicker" to not be out down in the hyphen department.

I have a sigma with the name ash. It should most in Mass effect because ASHley Williams happens to share a last name with Bruce's character as well--I had Shepard boink the alien (after a long character relationship filled with frilly feelings and romance and not tasteless sex)
...or a baby

Cuttlefishman
First Video: Field Guide to Homo Mortuus

Postby Cuttlefishman » 14 Apr 2008, 17:34

Does anyone else besides me find it funny that some people thought "The Writers Room" was offensive, especially in comparison to this video?
Valete Omnes
kkief02

Postby kkief02 » 14 Apr 2008, 17:39

"mmmm, christy"
Graham wrote:It was less "filler" and more "I'm Morgan! I want to show off my hat! I have sex with dead horses!"
Flewellyn

Postby Flewellyn » 14 Apr 2008, 17:50

Well done, Kathleen! This was hilarious.

And of course, well done Graham and Paul. And Ash, of course; I mean, Ash's hotness is well established by now.

What I wanna know is, why haven't we also established Kathleen's hotness? This needs to be emphasized more!
Pirate Jack

Postby Pirate Jack » 14 Apr 2008, 18:10

Flewellyn wrote:What I wanna know is, why haven't we also established Kathleen's hotness? This needs to be emphasized more!

Then we're focusing on everyone in one gender, and our objectification of women becomes much more obvious.
Graham and Paul signed my Wiimote. I never have to do anything cool ever again.
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 14 Apr 2008, 18:13

We've already dealt with Paul's attractiveness, and Morgan... well, he's Morgan.

We DO need to focus on the rest of the guys more.

Perhaps part of the problem is that there's a gender disparity on the boards? Interesting, I'd never considered that before.
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 14 Apr 2008, 18:15

I am a Christian by faith, so this sort of "blaspheming" content should make me want to stab the crew with the nails of Christ.

Key word in last sentance: SHOULD

I also follow the belief that one can only be truely understanding of one's religion if they can get a laugh at the satirization of that religion.

I found this video to be incredibly funny. If you look at my first post, I was speechless. The only comment I could make was on the friggin urn. I was just laughing up a storm. Also, I found Christopher Moore's Lamb: the Gospel According To Biff, Christ's childhood Pal amusing and entertaining.

Long story short, religion is something to hold dear to yoruself, but don't get caught up in the seriousness to understand the parody.
robothero
First Video: Ways to drink a Coke?

Postby robothero » 14 Apr 2008, 18:15

When he mentioned the "Secret Bible" I was more expecting him to start going, "It has 12 commandments and 9 disciples..."
krzwis

Postby krzwis » 14 Apr 2008, 18:15

Cuttlefishman wrote:Does anyone else besides me find it funny that some people thought "The Writers Room" was offensive, especially in comparison to this video?

I've been creeping LLR for over a year but never joined forums till now

The writer's room targeted the bible and to many serious Christians and just litterature guys the bible is viewed as something extreamly holy. The bible has been around more or less 2000 years and principles of the bible have been used in establishing governments, influence further litterature and philosphy and expand into alot of places.

As it was mentioned earlier, the video was made to be crazy so people would have fun with it instead of being like all "i am hurt!". LLR doesn't fling insults or their beliefs...they just joke around and have fun, and when people understand that they're not so insulted.

As Matt mentioned, yes people have sensetivity, but w/e.... LLR is not made to insult faith, just poke fun at random parts of life..... like Timbits, and horror films, and mimes, and documentaries, and random video games. South Park does a similar job...

if that makes any sense...thats what i think anyway

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”