Deeply Religious

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
kimmeekimkim

Postby kimmeekimkim » 14 Apr 2008, 18:19

A delightful (and titillating) blend of controversy and utter ridiculousness. Great church names... if only they were real, maybe I would become religious! The balance was spot on, though, so that you could say the potentially insulting caged in utter nonsense. More excellent work: MWAH!

PS: Know of any bookies taking bets on the Pope-off?
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 14 Apr 2008, 18:28

ive got 2 subway stamps on Mope.
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Postby Kathleen » 14 Apr 2008, 18:56

1) Good catch on the Of Montreal reference!

2) Re: 1 dimensional characters. The video was written to be under 3 minutes long. If you are going to have one character be completely insane, you need to have a straight man. Paul's character was very 1 dimensional, but I think that it was a pretty realistic way that a straight man would react in the given situation.

3) Religion: This is an extremely silly video, and I'm not actually using it to diatribe against anything, except perhaps people who take religion too seriously. My friend Becky's dad is a minister with the United Church, and his thinking is that religion should be a joyous thing, not the downer many folks take it for (and make it into).
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
Ash

Postby Ash » 14 Apr 2008, 19:02

tak197 wrote:
I found this video to be incredibly funny. If you look at my first post, I was speechless. The only comment I could make was on the friggin urn. I was just laughing up a storm. Also, I found Christopher Moore's Lamb: the Gospel According To Biff, Christ's childhood Pal amusing and entertaining.

anyone who hasn't read that book need to. it's fucking amazing.
WARNING: This motion picture contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
Lavos
Lavos
First Video: 1337

Postby Lavos » 14 Apr 2008, 19:16

Man is there anything Paul can't pull off?
i dont know what's happening anymore
eiopqrtuwy
Smartest SpamBot Ever
First Video: Rejected 'Get a Mac' Ad's

Postby eiopqrtuwy » 14 Apr 2008, 19:29

WARNING!: THIS POST EXPRESSES SOME NEGATIVE VIEWS. PLEASE DON'T WHINE AT/ABOUT ME JUST BECAUSE I HAVE A DIFFERING OPINION.

This weeks ad had a pretty bad audio quality, some extra echo-y sound to it. Which I figure contributed to the un-funniness of it, but wasn't wholly to blame. The punchline/slogan was too much of a stretch for me. It seems as though the ads have been going progressively downhill in hilarity and I think you should stop running them in the near future, before they become a nuisance rather than a welcomed bonus joke.

While others seem to have found the "FIRST VIEW OMG" joke to be funny, I found it to be even more annoying than when people actually do it in these threads. I didn't laugh and it totally threw off the timing for the rest of the video (since I was half expected you to break the forth wall again) giving me a fairly lackluster feeling for the entire video.

Rewatching the video starting at 1:30 vastly improved it, and it earned a few more laughs, although it was still seemed rather off-the-wall and scatterbrained at times.

Oh well, I guess not every video is custom tailored for me, and there is always next week. See you then! :D
HomerTheBrave

Postby HomerTheBrave » 14 Apr 2008, 19:32

Indeed. Bad. Ass. and then entering seminary. Yay Paul!

Someone might have asked already, but geez.... Where do guerilla filmmakers get a silver service like that? Perhaps that's makes them 'guerilla'...
CaesarMagnus

Postby CaesarMagnus » 14 Apr 2008, 19:47

The commercial was funny. I love how the punctuation made the ad "Bad. Ass."

I just found the video to be rather weak. The "first" joke felt incomplete, and I thought the video would ultimately come back to that as the punchline, but it never did. The rest of the video felt like someone had a bad run in with a religious fanatic and had to vent in some way. :roll:

Meh, better luck next week.
ZephCrow

Postby ZephCrow » 14 Apr 2008, 19:52

Oh man, the second wig that Graham wears look so damn greasy! He talks in a friendly manner, but that hair just shouts "dirty old man".

The Delivery is excellent on this one and the Highlander jab is slick and fantastic.

The mention of Cherry Christ reminds me of Graham's 'Christ!' as a play on 'Crush!' shirt.

Also, to jump on the bandwagon, nun Ash is quite hot, if I say so myself. And I'm even female.
CheeseGrater

Postby CheeseGrater » 14 Apr 2008, 20:00

I loved the ad and the video itself (as I told Graham in that underwear store today!), but I have to admit that the 'zero views' interruption caught me off guard in a negative way. It kind of made me expect further interruptions on the same note, and I couldn't get into the video as much as I usually do. Upon further viewings I skipped past the interruption and I'm liking it more and more each time.

(It probably didn't help that I saw the video was up, got excited, and used it to introduce you guys to them. They were very confused. My fault for not watching it first!)

As for the video -- very nice! I'm always up for light-hearted fun-making, and the church names were very cute. Also, Ash as a slightly naughty nun? My goodness -- she's just lovely! Loved the bit about small potatoes. And I like having the ads at the beginning -- they're a tasty treat before the main course. :)
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 14 Apr 2008, 20:05

Thank you for addressing the counter. Also, Ash in naughty nun outfit more plx.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
forkbomb!
Location: Cedar Hill and Cedar Hill: the Nexus of the Universe.

Postby forkbomb! » 14 Apr 2008, 20:36

Loved it. "The blood of King of kings" is maybe the funniest line evar.

4 'technical' issues that distracted me, although they probably didn't affect my enjoyment of the video too much:
  1. I re-watched the opening ad several times trying to figure out what Paul was eating (I came to the conclusion that it was chocolate chips. Perhaps others found this more obvious; I don't bake). If this ambiguity was a ploy to trick me into multiple ad viewings, clever!
  2. As many people have noted, the '0 views' gag, although hilarious, confounded my expectations. Until half-way through I was anticipating Is Paul's Boyfriend Cheating 2: Electric Boogaloo. I suppose if it lets you get in a second church-name gag and an Of Montreal reference I cannot complain.
  3. Matt--although a perfect choice for the nerd voice--poofs the mic, making my speakers go 'pthbbb' on every plosive. I recommend a pop filter.
  4. There was a boom mic visible in roughly 20% of the video.

CheeseGrater wrote:as I told Graham in that underwear store today!

Interesting... Although in my mind I'm going to replace 'Graham' with 'Ash', as that makes the anecdote much better, because... well, see the preceding four pages of this thread.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 14 Apr 2008, 20:56

"Mmm...Christy" really? What a groaner.
I'll agree with what some people said before, some of the audio seemed choppy, and it really cut off Paul to go to Graham on a few ones. Technically speaking, definitely not one of your best, but I thought it was quite funny (especially the bit at the beginning with Matt talking about the views. lulz)

Good show, chaps!
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 14 Apr 2008, 20:58

forkbomb! wrote:There was a boom mic visible in roughly 20% of the video.[/list]

Hah! tricksy mirrors over grahams shoulder!
Do the Catterpillar!

*wiggle wiggle*
DJScythe15
First Video: Rejected Wii Play Games

Postby DJScythe15 » 14 Apr 2008, 21:44

I saw this early today but didn't have a chance to comment until now, so I'll do my best to give good comments.

Although I'm a proud Catholic and found a few points a tad offensive (mostly the snack uses of the Eucharist), I still found it incredibly funny. Much like Assessment, I can see hints of Monty Python in this skit (Remember the Church of St. Loony Up the Cream Bun and Jam?) and enjoy that vein comedy. Graham's acting really shines in this, as he goes from formal priest to casual lecher and back in just a few seconds. The references also shine, from the Highlander popes to Kathleen's final implentation of her "Naughty Nuns" plan from way back. (Although there was nothing SLIGHTLY naughty about that outfit! DAMN!) Finally, while I did find the zero views jabs funny, I'm slightly concerned that the reference might not carry on after people finally understand the system, leaving newcomers slightly confused.

All in all, top class acting, witty writing, and pretty damn hilarious.

Also, once again, to Ash's costume, DAMN!!!
I tend to be overly apologetic. Sorry about that.

Game Info:
Steam: djscythe15
Pokemon White: DJScy / FC:0690-4616-8450
Yukikaze

Postby Yukikaze » 14 Apr 2008, 21:52

This video had me in that same awkward state of laughter that I was in before when discussing nipple piercings in the middle of a Bible study. Always a good thing.

(The guy later got his hangly-dangly pierced, and ran around flashing most of the guys at my brother's birthday party. I managed to escape with my eyes unraped.)

I believe it very carefully balances the line of "gone too far." Also, anyone who thinks this one's bad really should go watch "Writer's Room," which in my opinion actually did go a tad too far.

Still safer than the "Mr. Diety" webseries, though, and you'll find worse blasphemies in public television that nobody even bats an eye at.

Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket, anyway?

Ad: great. No. Also, if those were chocolate chips, I totally understand why he ate the whole bag.

0 views interruption: metahumor is always a win in my book!
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 14 Apr 2008, 21:55

in all honesty, and with no offense intended, Ash isnt really THAT hot. Yes shes attractive, but the vast majority of the population would be in such a outfit. its just unfortunate, or fortuitous, depending on your allignment, that its always Ash.
LRR has a history of Excellent use of Girl.
=D
Do the Catterpillar!

*wiggle wiggle*
DJScythe15
First Video: Rejected Wii Play Games

Postby DJScythe15 » 14 Apr 2008, 22:02

Vaughn wrote:in all honesty, and with no offense intended, Ash isnt really THAT hot. Yes shes attractive, but the vast majority of the population would be in such a outfit. its just unfortunate, or fortuitous, depending on your allignment, that its always Ash.
LRR has a history of Excellent use of Girl.
=D

Well, although I agree the outfit certainly was part of it, your point brings up that the definition of hot varies from person to person. That'll be my last comment on that, as I don't want to look like a perv who's arguement boils down to "OMG BOOBS!" (^^);
I tend to be overly apologetic. Sorry about that.

Game Info:
Steam: djscythe15
Pokemon White: DJScy / FC:0690-4616-8450
florn
It's Over 2000!!!

Postby florn » 14 Apr 2008, 22:12

Nice Monty Python like banter
Philes

Postby Philes » 14 Apr 2008, 22:16

I apologize in advance for the wall of text ahead:

I'm going to try and make this as constructive as posible. I do this because I genuinely enjoy this site! I like most of the videos, absolutely ADORE several, and am indifferent/ambivalent about the rest. To me, this week's video falls in the later category, unfortunately.

I agree with half of what eiopqrtuwy (that's quite a mouthful) said about the ads. The sound quality was definately lacking, especially when the real sketch immediately follows it. It's like listening to the audio through a cardboard tube. I realize you guys are busy people and that the ads are something of an "extra," but I'd love for them to be really polished.

On the other hand, I thought the joke was well done. The aviator sunglasses totally sold the joke, as was Paul's rock-solid delivery. If you can keep making the ads funny, keep doing them! It's like a bonus joke!

Now, on to the meat of the update. For me, I think a running theme for this week's video is "sloppy."

The breaking of the third wall was really jarring. Normally I enjoy meta humor (your Quantum Documentary remains one of my most favorite videos on this site, and one of the first ones I show off when showing people your site), but copping out to this joke seemed juvenile somehow ... it might not have been so bad if the rest of the video made meta jokes and broke the 4th wall, but it didn't. A series of Pauls walking in to each-differently-wigged-Grahams' churches would have made for a cool video perhaps, but without the continuation of the idea it just seemed sloppy and out of place. Watching the video while skipping this initial part made the experience a little more seamless.

Graham's 2nd wig was either a little too "over-the-top" or unrealistic for me, but that's a nitpick. I enjoyed most of the jokes within the sketch, but it was the little things. Seeing behind-the-scenes staff in the mirror? Sloppy. The whole "check out the tits on Mary" joke series wasn't funny to me. I just seemed like a sloppy attempt to get some shock laughs out of me. And the cut back to Graham sitting back down seemed especially noticeable to me. And Graham's stuttering of "the blood of kings" line...I never see that in LRR videos. Was that the only take you had and you didn't notice it at the time?

And as much as I enjoy seeing a little "naughty nun" boobage, it seems like a fan service cop-out to me. As well as Ash handled herself without having any lines to speak, it seemed awkward for her to stand there while Graham delivered at least four without a peep. I feel the same way about the "secret bible" scene where Paul makes noises instead of saying something.

Looking over this post again before I submit it, I realize it comes off as excessively negative. I only post these because I believe that feedback is what makes the world go round, and that I *know* you guys are capable of making much better videos than this. I know you can't spin gold every week, and perhaps I'm being a giant douche nozzle by posting this, but I can always hope! Please don't hate me......

Failing all that, at least I created some flamebait for diehard fans to rip me a new one with.
There are things in this world that I dislike. One of the things I dislike the most is a serious argument, well constructed, delivered by someone who makes themselves difficult to respect.
wordnerd

Postby wordnerd » 14 Apr 2008, 22:24

I have to say that the part that made me fall off the bed was the comparison between the percentage that you would molest someone and the percentage that that person would accept said molestation. What would be the cut off line for acceptance into seminary? What would happen if the percentage of acceptance of molestation were higher than the possibility of your molestation?

I think I'm thinking about this too much.

Also, it seems like this video has caused some more lurkers to climb out from under their respective bridges, including me.
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 14 Apr 2008, 22:26

Yeah, i DID notice alot of 1 postcounts. Strategic! people tell people about things they hate more than things they like. and are more inclined to involve themselves with it =D
Do the Catterpillar!

*wiggle wiggle*
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 14 Apr 2008, 22:30

Hey Philes, I wouldn't worry.
You're not being a dick about it or anything.

Having said that, I feel that a lot (nearly all) of your points are matters of opinion that other people may disagree with, but ideally they will treat their responses with the same candor as you have. Which I appreciate.
Philes

Postby Philes » 14 Apr 2008, 22:47

Well, opinions are like assholes, and all that.

On the creepier side, I showed the video to one of my friends and he's now scouring the site for more videos with Ash in them. He's currently watching the Shaolin video, and I cannot see his hands from where I am sitting.
There are things in this world that I dislike. One of the things I dislike the most is a serious argument, well constructed, delivered by someone who makes themselves difficult to respect.
blackfangs

Postby blackfangs » 14 Apr 2008, 23:11

great video im sure everyone who posted first lately feels like a ass now lol

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”