Nintendo DS games

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
kingtorm
First Video: Who Watches Movies?

Nintendo DS games

Postby kingtorm » 05 May 2008, 15:35

Hey guys, i'm buying a DS in a few weeks and was wondering what games i should buy, the DS is going to come with the new zelda game and i'm going to buy the new super mario bros. But what other games are worth buying.
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 05 May 2008, 15:37

Contra4?
Final fantasies?
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 05 May 2008, 15:57

Mario Kart is a given.
Phoenix Wright is pretty kickass.
Elite Beat Agents is addicting.
Cooking Mama is mysogynistic, but fun.
Brain Age is meh.
The New Super Mario is cool.
Mario Party is good, though the final boss battle is difficult.
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 05 May 2008, 16:14

Cooking mama on the Wii is hilarious, especially when you work in a kitchen.
i was the only one of my friends who could do the Panfrys, because i was the only one who knew which ingredients should go in when =D
Do the Catterpillar!

*wiggle wiggle*
Scone

Postby Scone » 05 May 2008, 16:40

Pokemon Diamond/Pearl are pretty fun. You only really need one of those though.

FFXII: Revenant Wings is a surprisingly good game. Though if you get it, I want to give a piece of advice: The final boss gets harder the more of a completionist you are.
<- <- <- <- HOPE

Image To The Lab! Image
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 05 May 2008, 16:42

BrainAge is awesome, don't listen to Tak.
Also, puppies.
PSNid: Obee1
XboxLive: LastErrand
Undefeated Lord of Donuts
Woland

Postby Woland » 05 May 2008, 17:11

Meteos
Puzzle Quest
Contact
Tetris DS
The Simpsons Game (if you can stomach licensed games, you'll enjoy this fun little game; don't pay too much for it though)
Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time

If you can find it Final Fantasy Tactics: Advance (yes, its on the GBA, but it roxors)
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 05 May 2008, 17:16

That new Square Enix RPG for the DS is pretty nifty.
"The World Ends With You."

Check that one out.
I can't think of a signature.
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 05 May 2008, 17:16

Oh, look into that 'The World Ends With You' thing.
Do the Catterpillar!

*wiggle wiggle*
kkief02

Postby kkief02 » 05 May 2008, 17:20

I've already got "The World Ends With You" and it is fucking awesome
Graham wrote:It was less "filler" and more "I'm Morgan! I want to show off my hat! I have sex with dead horses!"
kkief02

Postby kkief02 » 05 May 2008, 17:21

Oh and the 3 phoenix wrights and Apollo Justice. Fucking Kick-ass games.

Graham wrote:It was less "filler" and more "I'm Morgan! I want to show off my hat! I have sex with dead horses!"
The Happy Friar

Postby The Happy Friar » 05 May 2008, 17:45

impossible mission! :D
Not responsible for delays due to incorrect address, payment information, publisher date change, inclement weather or Samus and Solid Snake exchanging vows in a small but tasteful civil ceremony.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 06 May 2008, 05:46

Games I have that I recommend you buy (ordered by playtime value, IE the ones at the top of the list produce nearly limitless play, while at the bottom are more "play once, put in a closet for a few years")

Tetris DS
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl
Animal Crossing Wild World
Final Fantasy III
Mario Kart DS
Advance Wars Dual Strike
Jump Ultimate Stars
Puzzle Quest
Meteos
Elite Beat Agents
Kirby Canvas Curse
Pheonix Wright Ace Attorney
Hotel Dusk Room 215
Yoshi's Island DS
New Super Mario Bros
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Mario and Luigi Partners in Time
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow

I'd also recommend that "The World Ends With You" thing. I'm planning on buying that. Looks good.
Kawaiicaps

Postby Kawaiicaps » 06 May 2008, 07:23

You can get 2 free ds games from this website

http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/join. ... 8116115365

There are a few 100 point games (brain age, mr driller, rub rabbits) no fantastic games, but after you receive your first free game you can get a 200 point game.
Star fox or tetris ect.
Check it out because the DS and advance games are low point value and you can get those for free right away.

Yeah I'm still trying to get people to sign up for this website. It's an awesome website and I am getting tonnws of free games. so sue me. it really works.
-^_^-
Kawaiicaps

Postby Kawaiicaps » 06 May 2008, 07:28

AlexanderDitto wrote:Games I have that I recommend you buy (ordered by playtime value, IE the ones at the top of the list produce nearly limitless play, while at the bottom are more "play once, put in a closet for a few years")

Tetris DS = its so fucking easy IMO. they totally changed it so that any noob can beat it.

Animal Crossing Wild World = only good if you did not play the other animal crossing to death. its pretty much the same game.

Advance Wars Dual Strike = No no no! Worst advance wars in the series. get day of ruin instead
Jump Ultimate Stars = Or jump superstars. these games rock but are hard to find because they are imports. If you like smash brothers and can understand at least some japanese (or can fake it) get one or both of these games. can be found on ebay I believe.

Puzzle Quest = RPG with Bejewled.... get this only if you love basic rpg games and can not live without bejewled.

-^_^-
wilson_x1999
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wilson_x1999 » 06 May 2008, 08:05

AlexanderDitto wrote:Games I have that I recommend you buy (ordered by playtime value, IE the ones at the top of the list produce nearly limitless play, while at the bottom are more "play once, put in a closet for a few years")

Tetris DS
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl
Animal Crossing Wild World
Final Fantasy III
Mario Kart DS
Advance Wars Dual Strike
Jump Ultimate Stars
Puzzle Quest
Meteos
Elite Beat Agents
Kirby Canvas Curse
Pheonix Wright Ace Attorney
Hotel Dusk Room 215
Yoshi's Island DS
New Super Mario Bros
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Mario and Luigi Partners in Time
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow

I'd also recommend that "The World Ends With You" thing. I'm planning on buying that. Looks good.

My name is Wilson and I totally approve this list.
browncoat

Postby browncoat » 06 May 2008, 08:09

Kawaiicaps wrote:You can get 2 free ds games from this website

There are a few 100 point games (brain age, mr driller, rub rabbits) no fantastic games, but after you receive your first free game you can get a 200 point game.
Star fox or tetris ect.
Check it out because the DS and advance games are low point value and you can get those for free right away.

Yeah I'm still trying to get people to sign up for this website. It's an awesome website and I am getting tonnws of free games. so sue me. it really works.
-^_^-

Too bad they don't let Europeans join ^^
But, one comment: Mr. Driller = BAD ASS ADDICTIVE!
I've only played the GBA-version, but... well, I'm still playing it, because it's so hard to beat. And still so much fun.
A recommendation, that one ^^

PS: I should be getting a DS these days, too.
Good timing!
Can't take the sky from me. Again.
DJScythe15
First Video: Rejected Wii Play Games

Postby DJScythe15 » 06 May 2008, 08:19

I also say that The World Ends With You is a must-buy. It has a nice combat system, great (2-D) visuals and cutscenes, a badass jpop/jrock soundtrack, and a intriguing (albeit semi-emo) plot. In short, imagine Kingdom Hearts without referential Disney and Square characters and a bit more edge.

As for other games, let me see:

Phoenix Wright/Apollo Justice: 4 very good games with challenging, innovative gameplay, memorable characters, and funny writing.
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl: It's Pokemon with more creatures, online play, better graphics, and more time-sensitive events. Nuff said.
Mariokart DS: Like with Diamond/Pearl, this is the original with a nice dose of online play.
Nintendogs: A bit of a classic, this might not be for everyone. However, odds are you're going to be saying "Awww!" after a few minutes of play.
New Super Mario Bros: A welcome throwback to the good old day of 2-D Mario platformers.
Elite Beat Agents: The most fun you're going to have with a game that plays cheesy music. Beware: as the soundtrack includes covers of Cher, The Village People, and Avril Lavigne, playing without headphones may make people thing you have "teh ghey". XD

These, of course, are just a few of many good recommendations, but it's enough to give you a good start.
I tend to be overly apologetic. Sorry about that.

Game Info:
Steam: djscythe15
Pokemon White: DJScy / FC:0690-4616-8450
Valandil

Postby Valandil » 06 May 2008, 23:52

Kawaiicaps wrote:Advance Wars Dual Strike = No no no! Worst advance wars in the series. get day of ruin instead

I just Wiki'd "Days of Ruin" ... NO ONE TOLD ME THERE WAS A FOURTH ADVANCE WARS GAME! I AM GOING OUT TO BUY THIS RIGHT NOW!

Yeah, Dual Strike was kinda silly, in the whole scheme of the Advance Wars series. I think that it peaked with the original. The original had an utterly beautiful cartoony theme and the characters had edges that neither of the following games captured properly. Grit was awesome in the first game, then he lost his edge, and the awesome arguing relationship between him and Olaf just became ... meh.

I'm into Advance Wars way too much ...
Wraith wrote:WHY DOES THIS KEEP GETTING HARDER?!
NecroVale
Card-Carrying Cool Person
First Video: Door to Door

Postby NecroVale » 07 May 2008, 01:03

Kawaiicaps wrote:You can get 2 free ds games from this website

Star fox or tetris ect.

-^_^-

Will that site eat my soul?
Allen! wrote:I know, it confused and aroused me.
Also made me hate him more.

Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 07 May 2008, 01:45

I have yet to get my free game from Goozex.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 07 May 2008, 03:44

Valandil wrote:
Kawaiicaps wrote:Advance Wars Dual Strike = No no no! Worst advance wars in the series. get day of ruin instead

I just Wiki'd "Days of Ruin" ... NO ONE TOLD ME THERE WAS A FOURTH ADVANCE WARS GAME! I AM GOING OUT TO BUY THIS RIGHT NOW!

Yeah, Dual Strike was kinda silly, in the whole scheme of the Advance Wars series. I think that it peaked with the original. The original had an utterly beautiful cartoony theme and the characters had edges that neither of the following games captured properly. Grit was awesome in the first game, then he lost his edge, and the awesome arguing relationship between him and Olaf just became ... meh.

I'm into Advance Wars way too much ...

Dual Strike is just so filled with content, though. It's got story mode, the war room, combat, coop, tons of maps to buy and characters to unlock and shit to do... between medals and upgrades and experience, there's tons of stuff.

I suppose you can get Days of Ruin if you want... I haven't bought it, since I haven't finished the first advance wars, but frankly, I'm a little put off at the thought of a more "gritty, realistic" advance wars. Part of the brilliant fun of Advance Wars is the bright colors and lovable characters.

As a side note, I respectfully disagree with Kawaiicaps' estimations of several of the games I mentioned.

Tetris DS, while it is "too fucking easy," offers tons of modes of play, online wifi play, which can get pretty intense, and is only "too fucking easy" if you turn on all of the easy helper stuff, like the drop shadow and things like that. Yes, infinite spin is back, but it's only easy if you want it to be. Seriously, if you want it to be hard, just crank up the speed and don't be a jerk while playing.

Animal Crossing Wild World has all the amazingness of the first game, true, but benefits mainly because it is portable and playable anywhere. The level of addiction is nearly 3 times higher because of this. Also I find it more cozy and charming than the original. There are some drawbacks, though. Also, Wifi town visiting with other people, if you have friends.

Jump Ultimate Stars is vastly superior to jump super stars if only because it has lots more characters in it. If you're going to import a game all the way from Japan, why would you get Superstars? You don't really need to know any Japanese to play the games, either. I figured things out after a few hours. Plus, there are online walkthroughs if you're completely clueless.

Puzzle Quest: even for people who can "live without bejeweled," it is a fantastically addicting game, as it combines all the elements of RPGs you love (storyline, adventuring, beating up monsters, collecting items and going on quests) and swaps out turn based combating for turn-based-bejeweled. OK SO IT IS SORT OF LIKE BEJEWELED, but you don't have to be a Bejeweled freak to like Puzzle Quest. It is a good marriage.
Valandil

Postby Valandil » 07 May 2008, 06:01

I'm a little put off at the thought of a more "gritty, realistic" advance wars. Part of the brilliant fun of Advance Wars is the bright colors and lovable characters.

I would agree with this. Like I say, the first game had awesome characters. The creators seem to have decided that the cartoony style wasn't for them and instead opted for a more ... generic? tack.

Have only just started playing the fourth. It's done well, definitely, but maybe that's my "I haven't played Advance Wars for 8 months, gimme gimme gimme" sense tingling.
Wraith wrote:WHY DOES THIS KEEP GETTING HARDER?!
blackdragontaz
The Goddamn Batman

Postby blackdragontaz » 07 May 2008, 08:22

Cake wrote:I have yet to get my free game from Goozex.

That depends on what game you requested. Ihad to break down and change my free game after 2 months of waiting. The next day my new game ships. Some games are just stocked (traded) more often than others.

Also Phoenix Wright and Apollo Justice FTW. And don't pass up The World Ends With You, a must have right now.
scorpkahnpoop

Postby scorpkahnpoop » 07 May 2008, 09:02

Wario ware touched was good before it was lost (Not my fault).

Mario Kart is easy fun.

The brain age thing sucks.

Return to “General Discussion”