May 15th :: Son of a Bitch

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
LS

Postby LS » 16 May 2008, 06:22

After such a Matt-centric (as in centered around Matt, not as in a Matt-flavored-eccentricy) video, I was looking forward to Matt getting out in front and getting a lot of air time on this podcast...oh how the fates do torment me.
Fancy Morgan: the Matt lover.
kkief02

Postby kkief02 » 16 May 2008, 06:25

Cake wrote:
kkief02 wrote:
Cake wrote:
kkief02 wrote:and cake they keep mentioning you...

Why? What did I do? I try not to be a pain in the ass. I can't listen till I go to work.
*giggle* it's at the very beginning of the podcast

kkief, when you turn 18, I am going to spank you for that.
ohes noes
Graham wrote:It was less "filler" and more "I'm Morgan! I want to show off my hat! I have sex with dead horses!"
davefp

Postby davefp » 16 May 2008, 07:07

As a Brit, I feel obliged to point out that 'Reading' is pronounced 'Redding'. Also, Eddie Izzard is awesome.

Edit: Bill Bailey is awesome too.
Valandil

Postby Valandil » 16 May 2008, 08:09

The "Yes, Indeed, Rar-ther" accent is generally associated with the dying brand of "Queen's English" or "BBC English", sometimes also referred to as "Received Pronunciation", or in many cases just "Posh" (But not in the sense of Posh Spice -- she's anything but.). It's what the British middle- and upper-middle-classes in the 1920s-'70s considered to be a "Pure" way of speaking: devoid of any particular regional accent, with words being clear and easy to hear and understand (Hence "BBC English", since most news anchors had that way of speaking to ensure clarity).

It isn't truly "Accent-less", because it is its own accent (because, obviously, it is distinct from other ways of speaking). It is not, however, regional: It is more based on social upbringing than particular area, since it is also associated with a Public School education -- My particular way of speaking is also born out of this kind of upbringing, and people have referred to me as "Posh" before; however, "Posh" speech carries with it a certain air of superiority, whereas my own way of speaking is region-less without the upper-class air.

Some of the information in the above is probably inaccurate, but a Wiki search for "BBC English" would probably turn up something.
Wraith wrote:WHY DOES THIS KEEP GETTING HARDER?!
whereibelong

Postby whereibelong » 16 May 2008, 08:23

On the "dialect density" of Britain: I go to university (Google Maps tells me) 58.1 miles from home, which even by British standards isn't far - yet still I notice changes in the way I speak as I move between the two - and that's just what I pick up of the accent a full on Essex accent is quite different to a full on Cambridge accent... but then a full on Essex accent is quite different full stop.

YouTube
Peter Sellers
"British Accents
Lacerta
Affable Marmot
First Video: How to Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Lacerta » 16 May 2008, 08:32

is the Underground Orbiting Space Station anything like Astrobase Go?
semper fidelis tyrannosaurus
Heathen
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Heathen » 16 May 2008, 09:11

In case any of you are interested, here's a selection of what I would consider typical accents for some of the larger regions of England, although listening to this collection I realise how many variations there really are even in small areas. The Library is woefully lacking in terms of Welsh and Scottish coverage, but I'm sure you're familiar with the former through watching Torchwood and the latter through being subjected to Connery's 'acting', although I would note the fact that there are several noticeable sub-divisions in both of those, and in fact Welsh accents in many areas are almost indistinguishable from Midland-English. There also aren't any particularly good samples from Northern England, but if you recall Christopher Eccleston's performance in Doctor Who's first revived season, you'll get at least a broad idea.

I personally conceive of many of these accents as being far thicker than they actually sound, which I suppose is to be expected, or perhaps I just remember things in parody form.

These are all MMS streamed WMA (take it up with the National British Library, seems to play just fine in QT though).

Mancunian (Manchester)

Liverpudlian (Liverpool)

Cockney* (London)

West Country (Devon, etc.)

* There can be a lot of controversy with regard to characterising London-area accents, and as there are so many, and as so many of those are listed in the archives, I'll just stick to Hackney.
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 16 May 2008, 11:30

SO jealous of the Lrrers who get to see Cake, they're being mean to us here in the states... Also, I would think the concert would be pretty popular, because I know a lot of people who own multiple CD's of theirs...
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 16 May 2008, 13:56

Valandil wrote:The "Yes, Indeed, Rar-ther" accent is generally associated with the dying brand of "Queen's English" or "BBC English", sometimes also referred to as "Received Pronunciation", or in many cases just "Posh".

That being said, Posh is, in my opinion, slightly different from RP. RP is really exactly what it sounds like, the almost scientific boiling down of the English accent into an easily understood, region-less, well-educated-sounding voice that worked well for broadcasters (they've gotten more - ahem - flavourful since then!)
There is a clear analogue in the States, where national news people are 'supposed' to sound like they're from the Midwest so as not to alienate anyone. It's not too different from the way most of you guys sound, and you're right to note the obvious distinction between your accents and the 'oot in the frosty noorth' voice.
'Posh', on the other hand, with its connection to the wealthy and titled, has grown a silliness all its own. I've heard it said that the correct way to say 'oh, hello' in the Posh accent is to say the words "Air", "Hare", and "Lare".

As to the bunker...World Orbiting Underground Neo-Dome? W.O.U.N.D.?

The William Johnson Memorial In-Joke-Atorium [In England]?

The Scientific Orbital Space Laboratory for the Astronomical Study of Pointless Redundancy in Satellite Nomenclature?
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 16 May 2008, 14:22

RE: the prank question

Graham, the term you are looking for is "M.A.D. - Mutually Assured Destruction".
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Learn good diction by practicing your vowel sounds.

Postby Evil Jim » 16 May 2008, 16:04

Code: Select all

LRR Armed Electronic Industrial Orbiting Underground Base = LAEIOUB

Not only does this acronym use all five major vowels in alphabetical order, you can have oodles of fun pronouncing it. I say it similar to the word "lab" but with far too much emphasis on the vowel.

"Ah'ma goin' daoun to tha LAEIOUB!"
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Re: Learn good diction by practicing your vowel sounds.

Postby tak197 » 16 May 2008, 16:42

Evil Jim wrote:

LRR Armed Electronic Industrial Orbiting Underground Base = LAEIOUB

"Ah'ma goin' daoun to tha LAEIOUB!"

Like if Arnold "the governator" Schwartzenager (my guess to the spelling) had a lab to go down to?
Evil Jim

Re: Learn good diction by practicing your vowel sounds.

Postby Evil Jim » 16 May 2008, 17:32

tak197 wrote:Like if Arnold "the governator" Schwartzenager (my guess to the spelling) had a lab to go down to?

More like if Yosemite Sam had a Lab. . . . And a speech impediment. . . . Or was just really excited about it.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
jtaylor
ASCII Ninja
First Video: Talk Like a Pirate

Postby jtaylor » 16 May 2008, 18:33

Loading Ready Run's World Orbiting Underground Laser Death Star Is Naturally Great At Beating Other Underground Teams Creating Highly Entertaining Electrical Signals Everywhere

LRR WOULD SING ABOUT CHEESE

LRR would sing about cheese.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 16 May 2008, 19:00

jtaylor wrote:

Loading Ready Run's World Orbiting Underground Laser Death Star Is Naturally Great At Beating Other Underground Teams Creating Highly Entertaining Electrical Signals Everywhere

Wow.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 16 May 2008, 19:30

jtaylor wrote:

Holy crap!
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
DJScythe15
First Video: Rejected Wii Play Games

Postby DJScythe15 » 16 May 2008, 19:40

As far as the fortress name, I suggest STOBE, Sub-Terranean Orbiting Base of Evil. Or USFED, Underground Satellite Fortress of Eternal Doom.
I tend to be overly apologetic. Sorry about that.

Game Info:
Steam: djscythe15
Pokemon White: DJScy / FC:0690-4616-8450
Evil Jim

Postby Evil Jim » 16 May 2008, 23:09

jtaylor wrote:

GODDAMNIT!

... my only consolation is that jtaylor already has a forum rank so I've not been robbed of anything but pride.
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 16 May 2008, 23:35

The Horrifyingly Efficient Turret Having Intese Neuro Gearworks In Normal Timecube Hemispheres Enclosing Several Kickass Yugoslavian Thermonuclear Hairtrigger Arms That Really Arent Incredibly Nice So Fire In Rare Events.

THE THING IN THE SKY THAT RAINS FIRE
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
Bob The Magic Camel

Postby Bob The Magic Camel » 17 May 2008, 02:40

Massive
undergrOund
Orbiting
buNker

M.O.O.N.
theINC

Postby theINC » 17 May 2008, 04:09

That Heliospheric Extraterrestrial In Nanaimo, Canada Orbiting & Winning New Shit.

THE INC OWNS
Woland owes me 10 points.
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 17 May 2008, 11:03

The Orbiting Weapons Node of Eldritch Destruction.

pwned.
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
Reversematt

Postby Reversematt » 17 May 2008, 21:14

Advanced Center for Research On New onlYne Movies

A.C.R.O.N.Y.M.

Motto: Now with more orbiting death lasers!
www.aalgar.com - Transformer reviews, webcomics and the Sarcastic Voyage podcast
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 18 May 2008, 11:31

Reversematt wrote:

Advanced Center for Research On New onlYne Movies

A.C.R.O.N.Y.M.

Motto: Now with more orbiting death lasers!

I heart metahumour.
jtaylor
ASCII Ninja
First Video: Talk Like a Pirate

Postby jtaylor » 19 May 2008, 12:03

Buried Above Ground Edible LRR Spacecraft

Return to “LRRcast”