An Interview with Uwe Boll

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Baconus
First Video: Eyewitness Accounts

Postby Baconus » 26 May 2008, 18:00

Wow i never though Uwe Boll could make sense but he seems to really know what's going on in movies today.

Thanks for posting this even over your "scheduled Sillyness"
Ozeki

Postby Ozeki » 26 May 2008, 18:00

Amazing interview.

I actually, really though that Bloodrayne 2 was a giant turd of a movie. The first one was somewhat decent.

His attitude is good but he just doesn't try hard enough when MAKING the movies.

I though that Postal would be some kind of a rebirth for him as he was not taking it seriously this time. It looked like it could have been really funny.

Oh and LOL at "BAYSWATER" street at the end.

All in all I think he should stick to comic stuff and perhaps cheesy B-movie quality stuff instead of competing in the big money blockbusters arena.
Pretzelcoatl
The Feathered Pretzel

Postby Pretzelcoatl » 26 May 2008, 18:01

That was a fascinating interview, Uwe Boll comes off quite sympathetic. Which is too bad because I was really enjoying the whole "Uwe Boll versus the internet" pretense, but now I think I'm not allowed to make fun of him anymore.
"Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
~Douglas Adams
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 26 May 2008, 18:05

On a serious note, now, I'm really going to enjoy listening to the next podcast.

Graham, I hope you get a chance to share the details with us. Any possibility of the full version becoming downloadable from somewhere?

(On that note, did that fan-created alternate version of 'High Noon' ever get shown on LRR?)
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
StoneageRocker
Ret-con'd: Correct

Postby StoneageRocker » 26 May 2008, 18:06

StoneageRocker wrote:Did he come to you, or did you go to him?

Graham you seem to have this knack of answering other people's questions and ignoring mine
In England.........

Juki

Postby Juki » 26 May 2008, 18:07

Wow... a glimpse of the man instead of the persona. It was fantastic. I love how you didn't hit him hard or fawn over him.. you asked the right questions and just let him talk to you about his ideas.

I'm very impressed.

I wonder which theatre in Vancouver's showing Postal? I may go check it out this weekend.
Fuzzyfreaker
First Video: CSI: CSI

Postby Fuzzyfreaker » 26 May 2008, 18:12

Wow, great interview.

After watching this, I have really changed my opinion about the guy. Sure, this won't affect how I think about most of his films, but he makes some very good points about his films and why they are in the condition they are in. Very intruiguing stuff.

Also, my friend seemingly swears that he mentions him about 3/4 into the interview. He mentions an "18 year old kid in Minnesota who can only see about 3 movies," and apparently he wrote a letter to Uwe Boll mentioning something to the fact that he only has a local theater that shows about 5 movies, and because of his deep passion for film, he sees whatever comes into that theater, and questions why Mr. Boll doesn't put the quality into his films that are meant to leave your viewer satisfied.

That'd be crazy it it was true... but... huh...
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 26 May 2008, 18:17

Regardless of his tactics, he still makes bad movies.

Even with a low budget, you can make a good movie.

Somehow with great source material, he still makes bad movies.

I don't get it.
I can't think of a signature.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 26 May 2008, 18:18

Someone needs to get this onto BoingBoing, Kotaku, Penny Arcade, anywhere and everywhere. The internet deserves to be enlightened somewhat.

~Alja~
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 26 May 2008, 18:18

The thing about experiments is that most of them fail.

Uwe Boll has gotten people to view his experimental films. They're quite daring and unconventional... but sometimes that can be a bad thing.
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
'"
Misty
The Goddamn Batman
First Video: Suspend Your Disbelief

Postby Misty » 26 May 2008, 18:23

I'd just like to say that my initial reaction to just seeing the thumbnail was "HOLY. FUCK."

...I'll go watch the video now.
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 26 May 2008, 18:33

I agree, this was a pretty good interview. That being said, after you were kicked out of Starbucks I was *waiting* for him to say, "I am the only fucking genius drinking at Starbucks right now."

I must agree that Dr. Boll is very insightful about the problems with modern cinema. The things about how limited most people's access to films can be, the filling up of festivals with rubbish like 'Kung Fu Panda' (a film with no interesting or original concepts, starring a man who does not, in the classical sense of the word, actually *act*.) and obnoxious people who are so fucking proud of how they haven't seen the film they despise so much...all true. The last one really resonates for me because of 'Life of Brian'. Uwe Boll is not Monty Python in any way, and I'm not expecting a lot from 'Postal', but the parallel here is that:

1) the release of 'Life of Brian' met with criticism from people who hadn't even seen it.
2) the release was restricted, sometimes across whole countries.

What Boll seems to want to do, turn controversy into sales, is very similar to what actually happened with 'Life of Brian' and Kevin Smith's 'Dogma'. Could Uwe Boll make better movies with Michael Bay's budget? Probably not, but it's best not to eliminate the idea entirely.

Melendwyr wrote:On that note, did that fan-created alternate version of 'High Noon' ever get shown on LRR?

Huhwaaaaa?
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 26 May 2008, 18:37

Graham wrote:Allen, Lavos...

He LIVES in Vancouver. Just hang out at a Starbucks in Kitsilano and you're bound to run into him.
Besides, it came together in a matter of hours, so I didn't have time to tell anyone.

WE ARE SO THERE.
LAVOS! TO THE BOLLMOBILE!
PSNid: Obee1
XboxLive: LastErrand
Undefeated Lord of Donuts
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 26 May 2008, 18:38

When Graham made the "no CGI" version of 'High Noon' available, one of the forumites put together a really very impressive and fairly different story by splicing and re-arranging the base video. He linked to it, and there was some brief talk about hosting it on-site.
'"
Tensen01
Sketchasaurus Rex
First Video: Who Watches Movies?

Postby Tensen01 » 26 May 2008, 18:39

Well crap... is there any way to UNsign the petition?

The bastard made great points about hollywood and stated the same thingsI've been thinking about movie for the past 5 years...
theduckthief

Postby theduckthief » 26 May 2008, 18:41

All I could say when I saw this was "Ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod!"

Great interview Graham. I never thought LRR would ever get this opportunity.

Although I do notice that he doesn't mention a great script being essential to making a good movie.
In Soviet Russia Desert Bus crashes Bill twice!
Kara
First Video: The Bet

Postby Kara » 26 May 2008, 18:43

Cuddos Graham. You made a really great interview here, and I would love to see it uncut.

You managed to stay really fair to the man going into it despite your dislike for his work.
ZephCrow

Postby ZephCrow » 26 May 2008, 18:47

That was...fantastic. It's surprising to actually see just who he really is after hearing so much trash talked about him. I wonder how many of the people just go along with what everyone says instead of actually listening to him realistically.

This really has changed my opinion on him, and it seems like it's doing the same for others as well. I hope this starts some sort of movement in his reputation.
bith

Postby bith » 26 May 2008, 18:51

Wow, so did you just walk up to him & say something like "you want to do an interview?" Also, I liked the whole subliminal advertising thing

MasterGunner wrote:I just finished watching it on Revver, and I have to say it's extremely fascinating. Uwe Boll here seems like a normal, fairly intelligent person, who is simply playing his bad rep and what is expected of him. I have to say, I have a lot more respect for Dr. Boll now.

I agree, it is a bit weird, but it's nice to know that all of this crap he's been pulling is just for publicity. I have to say I have a bit more respect for Boll, but that really doesn't change my opinion of his movies. I wonder what he'll think when he sees the older videos about him on LRR as he's bound to check the site now that he's on it. Also, I'm a little surprised that one of the few theaters Postal is in is close by.
Last edited by bith on 26 May 2008, 19:14, edited 2 times in total.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 26 May 2008, 18:52

Brilliant. Very good interview. I'm glad you did this.

I definitely get his point, and sort of sympathize with him. It's easy for people to jump on an internet hate machine, but when you hear the guy talk, actually see him in real life, it really brings you back down to earth, I think.
davefp

Postby davefp » 26 May 2008, 18:56

Wow. Just... wow. Fascinating interview, I really enjoyed watching it even if it was something of a departure from your scheduled programming.

My opinion of Uwe Boll has definitely changed. I must admit that I've never seen one of his movies (as far as I know), but it was great to see 'the real' man in contrast to his recent internet videos. I also agree that everyone and their mother needs to see this.
Gray24
First Video: Whichever was the first video...

Kevin Smith?

Postby Gray24 » 26 May 2008, 19:01

I had a question. I watched through the interview with Uwe Boll, and he mentioned that your really shouldn't make in independent movie. I don't know if this refutes his argument, but wouldn't Kevin Smith, not being a structure director, and finding success make an independent movie possible. Remember, Smith wrote and filmed Clerks while working in a convenience store.

Opinions?

Oh, and P.S. I really enjoyed the interview. My opinion, like Graham's has changed of Uwe Boll.
David E Gray

Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 26 May 2008, 19:02

Uwe Boll is no Kevin Smith.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
azazelbuddha

Postby azazelbuddha » 26 May 2008, 19:03

nice to see that Dr. Boll isn't completely insane, however, i still didn't like Bloodrayne2.

idea: though he's prob really busy, you guys should see about having him cameo in a skit. Either as himself or dress him up. (worse thing he could say is, "sorry, i'm don't have time.") just a thought...... :P
sarcasm is your body's natural defense against stupid

everyday i think people can't get any stupider; everyday i'm proven horribly wrong

i will wear black until they make something DARKER
florn
It's Over 2000!!!

Postby florn » 26 May 2008, 19:04

I don't think I've seen any Uwe Boll movies, I'll probably see postal. I have no opionion of the person. Sausage.

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”