May 29th :: An Interview with Uwe Boll

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
James
LRR Crew

May 29th :: An Interview with Uwe Boll

Postby James » 29 May 2008, 16:27

Podcast is a go go.
Talk if you must.
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 29 May 2008, 16:29

Excellent! This should be most fascinating.

(edit) There's an awful lot of background static. It mostly doesn't interfere... but it's very slightly distracting.
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 29 May 2008, 17:16

Yeah, weird audio...
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 29 May 2008, 17:25

Forum rank for Emperor Gum: Mattgasm?
Hero of Canton

Postby Hero of Canton » 29 May 2008, 17:27

Downloading now :)

It's going to be an awesome podcast.

4th!
Heh? Meh.
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 29 May 2008, 17:31

There's also a whole lot of dead air at the end of the file. Hey, it's not dead air! The cast is talking in the background and Paul does a voice.

I wouldn't say your agnosticism is particularly important to me, I was simply curious.
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
Hero of Canton

Postby Hero of Canton » 29 May 2008, 18:24

Yeah, theres around 15 minutes of silence at the end.
Heh? Meh.
TimeCruiserMike
First Video: 1337

Postby TimeCruiserMike » 29 May 2008, 19:51

it was kinda eerie . . .. cuz i didn't realize it was still playing. i had gotten up gone to do stuff and came back . . . and then i started hearing faint voices and had no idea where they were coming from . . . and then all of a sudden i hear Paul very loud and very clear.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 29 May 2008, 20:29

Josh Groban DOES look a shit-ton like Ben. And this comes from an identical twin, who never agrees when people say "Oh, these two things look alike."
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Citin

Postby Citin » 29 May 2008, 20:38

Oh my God that sound clip was hilarious, sweet podcast guys
"I'll be in Africa. If you need me just phone Africa, I told them to expect your call." - The Pointy Haired Boss
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 29 May 2008, 21:45

Who's the black private dick,
That's a sex machine to all the chicks?
SHAFT!
Yer damn right.

Who is the man,
Who would risk his neck for his brother man?
SHAFT!
Can you dig it?

Who's the cat who won't cop out,
When there's danger all about?
SHAFT!
Right on.

They say this cat Shaft is a bad mother--
Shut your mouth!
But I'm talkin' about Shaft.
We can dig it.

He's a complicated man,
But no one understands him but his woman.
John Shaft!

~Shaft~
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 29 May 2008, 22:52

Yup, about 13 minutes of dead air at the end finishing up with 30 seconds of Graham concluding a podcast across the room & finally Paul saying "Perhaps here would be different."

Good to hear the background on the interview & I'm glad it went so well. I'd like to see more footage on the DVD or perhaps a bonus video if it's worth sharing.

Hmmm... For whatever reason I'm never credited for my questions in Ask LRR.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Vadim

Postby Vadim » 29 May 2008, 23:46

That was a very funny episode of CSI with good reason. It's called two and a half deaths and was written by the guys who write two and a half men. that week's two and a half men was written by the folks who do CSI as well. Possibly one of the funniest episodes of either show i've seen.
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 30 May 2008, 11:51

wtf? Who asked the Transformers question?

It wasn't ported from Japan, that was OURS. Japan is the one that fucked it up!

Also, Paul hit the nail on the head when he said that sometimes people have bad experiences, and you're just the face they put with it. Man, I worked as security for six years, and I stood at the door, so I was the last person they saw. I got blamed for EVERYTHING. People got pissed at me for stuff THAT MY BOSS DID.
-Wraith
DP

Postby DP » 31 May 2008, 22:04

I should say, you know, I don't play video games, I've never watched an Uwe Boll film, and my only real exposure to Uwe Boll has been through this site and its videos. Oh! I also watched Lowtax get pummeled by Uwe on the Youtube or somesuch (you sure dodged that one Graham).

Anywhoodle, I still found this weeks video interesting, as well as the accompanying Lrrcast. The video, of course, treated him very respectfully and objectively, as an interview should. Likewise, it was nice to hear a little editorialism (if that's the right term) on the Lrrcast. What I mean is that it was nice to hear a bit of how you guys interpreted the interview.

I believe that it is important to understand how and why people do the things they do - we have an odd tendency of dehumanizing the things we do not immediately understand or identify with. Uwe is a man just like many others, and it is interesting how this interview helped demonstrate that. As, I think more than one person has pointed out, you have succeeded in helping to humanize the guy - and that, I think, is a great thing. I hope many people who are acquainted with Uwe Boll's reputation see this video.

One last thing: Some comments were made to the effect that it seemed incredible that Uwe was striving for realistic characters and such considering that he apparently does not achieve this in his own movies. It was also noted in the Lrrcast how Postal is, in Uwe's eyes, a clear parody film, whereas that aspect of it seems lost on viewers. I can't help but wonder whether some of these dissonances arise from "translation" issues. Let me try to explain -

I have watched some anime in my day. Not much, mind you, as I cannot stand most of it. Some of it, however, seems quite good, occasionally surpassing or at least rivalling some of the best North American TV. I have to say though, I always watch it subtitled, and never dubbed. My favourite anime in Japanese often seems incredibly uninteresting, awkward, and inhuman when dubbed in English. I am not really sure why this is.

Part of it, I think, is that the English voice actors used in dubbing are not very good. I presume that English dubbing for anime is not very prestigious or well paying, so talent will not be drawn towards that art. But it may also be that my favourite anime really are terrible in a way, but their awfulness is masked by the way I watch it. For example, I don't hear the stilted dialogue, and unbelievable emotion, I only read it. The dialogue I do hear has all the emotion and nuance that I can imagine to be there, although I do not understand any of it directly. I also lack the cultural background necessary to interpret the voice track the way a born and bred Japanese person would. If I was Japanese, would I not dislike anime for a lot of the same reasons that I dislike it in dubbed English?

I have come to think that certain stories are better told in a language that the watcher does not understand. Or, more specifically, it may be that watching movies in another language simply has a very different effect on how the movie or show is watched and interpreted - different things are emphasized to the viewer when they do not understand the language; different things seem important.

Is it possible that Uwe's movies seem particularly bad to North American audiences because they lack the proper framework through which to view them? That is to say, to someone who does not understand English as a native speaker does, would these films be better? That is the framework through which Uwe himself would be viewing them, after all. I wonder - are his films more popular in other countries than they are here? Is it possible that he is actually making decent to good films, and that his Anglophone audience, sadly, just does not "get" them?

Sorry for the long post. But hell, this is my reaction to the video and all.
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 31 May 2008, 23:02

Thing is, there's a difference between real film and dubbed film, in that the director has a say in one and not the other. Dr. Boll makes his films in English. If Kenneth Branagh's movies got re-dubbed into German, people wouldn't 'get' all the Branagh that went into it.
We get Uwe's 'Boll-ness' first hand, and it's poorly reviewed. I haven't seen "Alone in the Dark", but I'm willing to trust that it's a bad film for the purpose of discussion (without adding any personal spin).
dezreavey

Postby dezreavey » 02 Jun 2008, 18:16

What is the name of the game Paul is playing now?

D!
ShortBreak

Postby ShortBreak » 03 Jun 2008, 10:06

dezreavey wrote:What is the name of the game Paul is playing now?

D!

I think it was On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 03 Jun 2008, 11:10

I just played through the demo of Rain-Slick Precipice, and that is fucking awesome! Really liking it, kind of a Final Fantasy/Monkey Island feel.
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 04 Jun 2008, 16:54

You guys mentioned upcoming Iron Stomach Challenges, any word on when those are coming?
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness

Return to “LRRcast”