Inside D&D 4th Edition

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Tirk

Postby Tirk » 02 Jun 2008, 22:20

Can I marry LRR? Seriously.

..call me :wink:
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 03 Jun 2008, 00:34

forkbomb! wrote:Matt and Jer's long-winded spiels. Some of the phrases Matt used were [possibly intentionally] clunky to my ear, like the redundant sounding "when he approached me about the blah approach to 4th edition", or the nearly unparsable-on-first-listen "skewing 4E to 5 to 8 year olds".

These phrases are long-winded & clunky to your ears because (as you said) you don't know anything about D&D.

If by "blah" you mean the "Direction & Didactics approach" then I would like to point out the following:
D&D = Dungeons & Dragons
D&D = Direction & Didactics

A joke playing off the name of the game itself.
Last edited by Evil Jim on 05 Jun 2008, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 03 Jun 2008, 04:27

NekoDaimyo wrote:And I thought the Other Player with Graham and Paul was Ben.

I think it was Matt wearing the Angry Bob wig
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
robbit

Postby robbit » 03 Jun 2008, 05:16

Heh. I have been watching LRR for months, and stopped into let you know this video was a blast.

I do offsite customer service for Wizards, and I loved this and have shared it with the other CS staff. We start supporting D&D Insider when it launches, so it is pretty topical for us. :D
Android

Postby Android » 03 Jun 2008, 07:13

I didn't catch the "connect the dots to see the picture" of the Invisible Stalker until the second time through
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 03 Jun 2008, 11:16

I thought this video had great content, but it was just a little sluggish. More dynamism (instead of people standing still talking) or slightly tighter editing would have been good.

I laughed at the demon-summing teacher, but enough people believe D&D lets you do that as it is - should we really be encouraging them?
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
Jer
LRR Crew

Postby Jer » 03 Jun 2008, 11:19

Yes.

Step 1: Controversy
Step 3: Profit
NecroVale
Card-Carrying Cool Person
First Video: Door to Door

Postby NecroVale » 03 Jun 2008, 11:52

Jer wrote:Yes.

Step 1: Controversy
Step 2: ?????
Step 3: Profit

Better...
Allen! wrote:I know, it confused and aroused me.
Also made me hate him more.

Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 03 Jun 2008, 14:48

Android wrote:I didn't catch the "connect the dots to see the picture" of the Invisible Stalker until the second time through

I didn't see it right away either. First time through I saw the blank space & took too long wondering at it before I could see the title.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
novel_concept

Postby novel_concept » 03 Jun 2008, 22:17

Oh, man. I teach elementary school, and this was very funny. I liked the little song for teaching the game to those who don't know basic math (perfect!).

Occasionally teaching can be a very frustrating and tedious experience, and I am tempted to burst out with something rather inappropriate. For example, I've been tempted during several staff meetings to bust out with, "Not the Tippy-tahs!" when faced with new hoops to jump through with our teaching. Now, I can imagine asking my class, "Who would like to summon a real demon?" after trying to introduce reflex angles (the evilest of all geometric concepts).

Eeeeexcellent.
Frost

Postby Frost » 03 Jun 2008, 23:06

AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 04 Jun 2008, 05:54

The BEST part of this video had to be the little song. That made me laugh out loud. It was great, but the song was seriously the highlight for me.

I want a full length version on my iPod, STAT.
Jer
LRR Crew

Postby Jer » 04 Jun 2008, 09:57

It's seriously 30 seconds long! It's more a jingle than a song ;).
Frost

Postby Frost » 04 Jun 2008, 10:48

Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 04 Jun 2008, 10:55

Jer's name is now Joey Peachfuzz. Apparently.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 04 Jun 2008, 13:54

Dominic Appleguard wrote:

Jer's name is now Joey Peachfuzz. Apparently.

If only the man looked at Jer in other videos, such as Pull Yourself Together. He ain't peachfuzz, fo shizznizzle.
James
LRR Crew

Postby James » 04 Jun 2008, 18:23

So i did a quick scan of the thread to see if this was mentioned, but I LOVE the fact that the stuffed bear that is drawn with the kind flayer is BOBO from the simpsons!!

I can't remember if Graham ended up mentioning that in this weeks podcast or what. Or if Tensen has been waiting for someone to mention it. BRAVO good sir, BRAVO!
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 04 Jun 2008, 19:33

A jingle, then! I mean, jingles can be expanded to full length songs. Who could forget "Brylcreem: the musical" or the difficult-to-type "J-E-L-L-O: L-I-V-E" or even the smash hit "The Andy Griffith Show Theme Over and Over until your Ears Bleed" ?

Also I like the "Peachfuzz." Stubble's in, yo. Beards are so 1980's.
-=Nate the Great=-
Or should I say, Nate the So So.
First Video: Moshpit Etiquette

Postby -=Nate the Great=- » 04 Jun 2008, 21:15

I don't think I'm enough of a fanboy to get most of these jokes.

But I'm sure they're funny.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 05 Jun 2008, 14:59

Nice video guys. Having never played D&D and living in a culture of "D&D players are nerds" I don't really know the game at all but this video still manages to give me a good chuckle.

Laura, looking even better this time. I like it :P

PS: Is Graham always so annoying when playing a boardgame (reffering to the "King me!" section ) :wink:
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Alex Steacy
First Video: Beats me! No seriously Graham hits me.

Postby Alex Steacy » 05 Jun 2008, 20:14

Zhyard wrote:The thing they are baking is a Gelatinous Cube,

I wasn't aware you could bake jello... Is it anything like deep fried ice cream?

Also, I downloaded the 4E PDFs (so leaked they had the damn printer's marks on them) to give them a look over.

I'm tentatively excited about the new system. So far I've found a LOT of things that make you go:

"What!? That's bullsh-"

and then

"Oh wait..."

and then

"Oh! That makes way more sense!"

There are going to be an awful lot more fireworks and special effects going around, but I think it could be a lot of fun, especially when you consider how much streamlining they've done to the combat system, so you don't spend 4 hours with your nose in the books on one encounter.

Also little nuances I like:

Everyone can heal themselves a little bit, so you don't *need* a party cleric to be everyone's healing bitch. Its a thankless job that nobody likes being saddled with, so I'm glad they fixed that.

Way more movement! You push, pull, slide and generally flit all over the place, which sounds like it will be a lot of fun.

More options when you're fighting! In 3.5, the biggest difference between what a 1st level fighter and a 20th level fighter does in combat is just the number of attacks they toss out. Now, you can do all sorts of awesome stuff, and I suspect many of the early-level powers will maintain usefulness into later levels.

Casters don't hit "empty". There is nothing more frusturating and useless than a spellcaster who has blown his load. Now, even if you use up your big guns, you'll have a variety of tricks that you'll never run out of.

Anyway, I think the overall feel is going to be extremely different, but also very fun. Gameplay will tell...

Simplified durations! Nothing is clocked anymore, it just lasts the encounter or until it's stopped.
SamsonWest

Postby SamsonWest » 08 Jun 2008, 00:21

so with the release my group abandoned our old campain for a few weeks to test out 4.0

very limited time tonight, but they really streamlined it, made it much more accessible and ieasier to understand all the rules

just remember, before you start, completely forget everything from 3.0, because thinking of it in those terms will only confuse you

I know what your thinking, and yes this is the most in depth review to date. but so far, thumbs up
pikaqofborg

Postby pikaqofborg » 17 Jun 2008, 13:08

We've been playing 4.0 for the past few weeks (yes before the online leak) and we've really gotten into it. Like any new system it took awhile to get used to but now we're getting the form and flow. It's definally simpler but more balanced and more open as well.

4.5 was my favorite part.
flyingwind66

Postby flyingwind66 » 17 Jul 2008, 17:10

well I'm officially turned off switching to 4th edition >.> *looks at stack of 3.0-3.5 books* the fact that I've sold half my soul to purchase a lot of that stuff for my gaming sessions has absolutely no baring on this final decision either XD
Tetsubo

Postby Tetsubo » 26 Jul 2008, 23:28

I was not happy when Wizbro made the 4E announcement. As I learned more about the new edition I became more and more disenfranchised with the launch. Since the release I have become an active opponent of 4E. I don't see it so much as a new edition of D&D as the 1st edition of a new fantasy RPG. It depresses me that the future players of D&D will consider 4E to *be* D&D.

I think that 3.5 is the best version of the game. It isn't perfect but it is a far better representation of what I think D&D to be.
--
Tetsubo
--------------------------------------
Deviant Art: http://ironstaff.deviantart.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/tetsubo57

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”