yesyesyesyesyesyesy(add infinitum)

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 02 Jul 2008, 05:43

Lord Chrusher wrote:Nah I am not really in to Pokemon.

Not on topic, but the best time I ever said that, I was at my buddy's friend's house and they were talking about Warhammer. They asked if I was gonna get some figures to play, and that is immediately what I came back with. The look on his face was priceless.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 02 Jul 2008, 06:30

Oh awesome.

I just about spat my coffee out when I heard that noise.

GG, Squeenix. You have parted me from more money.
wilson_x1999
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wilson_x1999 » 02 Jul 2008, 06:32

I just saw this, and I can just say:

WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!

At last a legit form of playing it on the go! XD
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 02 Jul 2008, 06:44

I think I played about three minutes of a ROM of this once way back when. Seemed fun. Might be worth trying out when it's released, even though I find it's hard to enjoy a retro game if you don't have the nostalgia factor for it, which I don't.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 02 Jul 2008, 07:28

proudfoot wrote:I think I played about three minutes of a ROM of this once way back when. Seemed fun. Might be worth trying out when it's released, even though I find it's hard to enjoy a retro game if you don't have the nostalgia factor for it, which I don't.

What!? You're saying it won't be fun because you don't miss it? What!?
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 02 Jul 2008, 07:42

OHJ FUCK SADHU*!@%

I'M BUYING A DS.
PSNid: Obee1
XboxLive: LastErrand
Undefeated Lord of Donuts
Hawkaris
First Video: 1337

Postby Hawkaris » 02 Jul 2008, 08:25

I hope they use this as a chance to spruce up the game. I'd like to see, at the very least, a hard (and possibly a 'very hard') mode. As it stands, Chrono Trigger is just below Super Mario RPG in the "My first RPG" list. I also wouldn't object to a couple more sidequests and a 1999 über-dungeon. And some quirky equipment wouldn't hurt anything.

I would add that the combat/leveling system needs some tweaking, after all the new ideas that have come out in the last decade, but I don't know if that would destroy too much of the original game. The plot could also use with some updating, but again, that could (and knowing game developers, probably would) turn out disastrously.

Or they could just do a direct port, and then I'll have no reason to purchase a game I already own and have beaten.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 02 Jul 2008, 09:46

So is this a remake of the original or an entirely new story? I've never played Chrono Trigger so if I do I need to know where to start.

It's not much of a countdown per se. For me it's just showing my local time. Also, I can't watch it for long because the ticking sounds are horribly out of sync with the second hand.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
meisbored
First Video: Daylight Savings

Postby meisbored » 02 Jul 2008, 10:32

I've never played Chrono Trigger... maybe I'll download the SNES ROM and play it on my iPod Touch at work later.
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 02 Jul 2008, 10:33

Evil Jim wrote:So is this a remake of the original or an entirely new story? I've never played Chrono Trigger so if I do I need to know where to start.

Its a remake. Chrono Trigger is the first game, Chrono Cross is the second.

Both of them are good games, but I'm not one for replaying games. I got the full ending and then the one in New Game + where you kill Lavos will Meryl at the very beginning. T'was fun.
I can't think of a signature.
Frost

Postby Frost » 02 Jul 2008, 10:55

Woland

Postby Woland » 02 Jul 2008, 11:05

never played it. Might on the DS, though. Unless it's anything like FF3. What a hideously boring mistake that was.
OmegaZultan

Postby OmegaZultan » 02 Jul 2008, 11:26

See the thing is, the ORIGINAL FF3 wasnt that good either, where as you caan not fucking go wrong with chrono trigger.
--OmegaZultan--
When the world ends, Bill begins.
Keith K
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Keith K » 02 Jul 2008, 13:14

I disagree.. FF3 is actually a great Famicom game. It would have blown the market away at the time, if it was brought out of Japan on to NES.
I do think they made some critical errors in it's remake though.

Chrono Trigger doesn't appear to be an attempt at 3D (thank God!), it appears more in line with the Final Fantasy Advance releases. The original SNES title, likely including the PS1 anime cutscenes, minor mechanical changes for touch screen support and a few non-canon additions such as a new dungeon.

Addition of a voice cast would be interesting but Crono doesn't speak so it may or may not work so well.
Woland

Postby Woland » 02 Jul 2008, 14:52

OmegaZultan wrote:See the thing is, the ORIGINAL FF3 wasnt that good either, where as you caan not fucking go wrong with chrono trigger.

But, really, what's the difference between FF and CT?
OmegaZultan

Postby OmegaZultan » 02 Jul 2008, 17:07

Woland wrote:
OmegaZultan wrote:See the thing is, the ORIGINAL FF3 wasnt that good either, where as you caan not fucking go wrong with chrono trigger.

I will find you, and hurt you.
--OmegaZultan--

Keith K

Postby Keith K » 03 Jul 2008, 04:44

Woland wrote:

Why dont you play them and find out?
Woland

Postby Woland » 03 Jul 2008, 05:34

Keith K wrote:Why dont you play them and find out?

Many reasons, actually. Lack of access to the games. Lack of funds. Lack of time. Mostly just lack of desire. Everyone says it's an "excellent game," but if I'm going to play something based on a recommendation, I need a lot more than some non-qualitative "excellent." Now, I've played a lot of Final Fantasy games and I haven't finished a single one of them because they're too damn boring. If Chrono Whatever is the same, then I don't want to play it. If it's different, I'll think about it. But apparently I'll never know because people don't want to talk about it, they just want to endlessly parrot its "value".

OmegaZultan wrote:I will find you, and hurt you.

You're just an idiot.
Keith K

Postby Keith K » 03 Jul 2008, 06:30

Woland wrote:

Many reasons, actually. Lack of access to the games. Lack of funds. Lack of time. Mostly just lack of desire. Everyone says it's an "excellent game," but if I'm going to play something based on a recommendation, I need a lot more than some non-qualitative "excellent." Now, I've played a lot of Final Fantasy games and I haven't finished a single one of them because they're too damn boring. If Chrono Whatever is the same, then I don't want to play it. If it's different, I'll think about it. But apparently I'll never know because people don't want to talk about it, they just want to endlessly parrot its "value".

Seems to me you're simply not an RPG fan and you expect those of us who are to persuade you to be. I have no interest in selling you a game I didnt make. If you want to talk to a salesman, phone Square-Enix USA.

My question to you is, why do you resent those of us who enjoy a game you're uninformed about?
Woland

Postby Woland » 03 Jul 2008, 07:09

Keith K wrote:
Woland wrote:

Seems to me you're simply not an RPG fan and you expect those of us who are to persuade you to be. I have no interest in selling you a game I didnt make. If you want to talk to a salesman, phone Square-Enix USA.

My question to you is, why do you resent those of us who enjoy a game you're uninformed about?

But that's not the case. See, I really love the stories of JRPGs. The length and depth of story are usually sorely lacking in most WRPGS. But, usually, the game-play mechanics just become painful after a while. There's just too much menu-wrangling to enjoy the story. I really enjoyed the Golden Sun games on the GBA. There was some menu use with the Djins, but I didn't feel compelled to spend half of my time messing with it. It was all about the story.

And, yeah, I could probably go read a review, but I'm lazy.
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 03 Jul 2008, 07:13

Hey, assholes, Woland asked for the difference between CT and FF games.

So instead of chastising him for not liking the game, why don't you give it a shot and explain the differences, if you can find them?

Woland, you are straying from what the majority of people (henceforth labeled as 'Sheep') consider 'the only way to live', which is to have played and beat Chrono Trigger at least twelve times.

This means you are, ipso facto, an idiot in the eyes of Sheep, and as they are, in fact, a mob, there's not much you can do to argue with them, cause they won't listen.
Keith K

Postby Keith K » 03 Jul 2008, 07:24

Chrono Trigger is largely based on the ATB system in Final Fantasy 6. It is a menu based battle system but not turn based.

Unlike the FF series (or at least at that time), the battle system is dynamic and not random. Both players and monsters appear in real-time on the map and engage when approached. The party then battles the monsters where they stand. Every character is represented on screen both in and out of battle.

Every character learns individual skills based on their characteristic strengths and abilities. Those individual skills also combine into double and triple team attacks based on the skills of your other party members. The basic Final Fantasy balance of magic/melee is present in Chrono Trigger, although magic actually doesnt appear till a certain point within the game.

The story is not straight forward, but fairly obvious given the theme. The hero stumbles upon a gateway through time and finds himself wrapped up in a plot spanning over 65 million years. He (and his cohorts) must change the past to prevent a terrible future. Interesting aspects of the game include the fact that the past can change the future, but the future cant change the past. Its not a leap in logic, but it was impressive for SNES programming.

The characters are standard Akira Toriyama.. though they came to North America before Dragonball hit over here, so no one noticed till much later.
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 03 Jul 2008, 07:43

Keith K wrote:Unlike the FF series (or at least at that time), the battle system is dynamic and not random. Both players and monsters appear in real-time on the map and engage when approached. The party then battles the monsters where they stand. Every character is represented on screen both in and out of battle

DUN DUN
OmegaZultan

Postby OmegaZultan » 03 Jul 2008, 09:45

Yo Woland, I was just playing around. No need to hate :(
--OmegaZultan--

Kawaiicaps

Postby Kawaiicaps » 03 Jul 2008, 09:51

[quote="Allen!"ipso facto[/quote]