July 3rd :: National Anathema

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
St. Ricktopher
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby St. Ricktopher » 05 Jul 2008, 04:35

I'm going to say the Australian equivalent of "Hockey Night in Canada" is probably more the music from the Victoria Bitter ads (the most popular beer in Australia).
The VB music also happens to be the music from The Magnificent Seven.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 05 Jul 2008, 07:57

I think another thing to consider with NBC's Olympics coverage compared to CBC's coverage is that there are just more US athletes out there than Canadian athletes. So some of the time, CBC shows non-Canadian athletes because there just aren't any Canadian athletes competing at the moment.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
neoncyber2001
First Video: Halloween Safety

The Hockey Song American Counterpart

Postby neoncyber2001 » 05 Jul 2008, 08:50

I'm sure that the Hockey Song's American counterpart would most certainly be the Monday Night Football theme. Everyone knows it.
Eureka

Postby Eureka » 05 Jul 2008, 16:35

It would've been nice to have a challenge this week. Like, "rewrite the lyrics to your (or another) country's national anthem" or something like that. 'twould be fairly simple, but eh.

Also, the Independence Day gathering I went to yesterday played the Star Wars theme during the fireworks display, no joke. Had a good laugh about that after hearing Jer's debate team story.

Which one of the crew did the Cockney accent?
jtaylor
ASCII Ninja
First Video: Talk Like a Pirate

Postby jtaylor » 05 Jul 2008, 18:38

You know you could probably do something really awesome on your own initiative, and if you impressed the right people you could get a rank.
James
LRR Crew

Postby James » 05 Jul 2008, 18:42

jtaylor wrote:You know you could probably do something really awesome on your own initiative, and if you impressed the right people you could get a rank.

The man makes a good point.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 05 Jul 2008, 20:35

What would be considered "really awesome"? What if I got the LRR logo tattooed onto my forehead? Would that be "really awesome"?

O_O

Will not do.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Tam23

Postby Tam23 » 06 Jul 2008, 20:25

Cranium was invented by a Canadian, the Canadian version is the original one :)
"Il fine giustifica i mezzi"
~Machiavelli
Yukikaze

Postby Yukikaze » 06 Jul 2008, 22:07

jtaylor wrote:You know you could probably do something really awesome on your own initiative, and if you impressed the right people you could get a rank.

if I thought that would work, I'd demand a title for "Fire Extinguisher Grizzly."

but I don't, and I won't.
gusher

Postby gusher » 08 Jul 2008, 14:24

As the person to bring up the comparison and someone that gets both stations and lives in America. Go seattle.
It isn't just that NBC only shows American athletes they spend a lot of time not showing any athletes.
It seems like half the time they are talking about athletes or showing commercials and they switch around to much. CBC at least would stick to the spot you were watching for a few contestants. Anyways it was nice having two channels to watch.

Return to “LRRcast”