Right to the source

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Keith K
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Keith K » 08 Jul 2008, 17:24

It was a departure, but it was great.

Was Matt's character pulling coal out of his mouth or were those just supposed to be plain rocks?
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 08 Jul 2008, 17:40

I actually enjoyed this video... I know a lot of people say they found it to be boring, but in my opinion, I enjoyed the "lets be serious about something that is so incredibly not true" thing...

so, it might not be your cup o' tea, but I sure liked it!
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
CaesarMagnus

Postby CaesarMagnus » 08 Jul 2008, 17:44

Crave wrote:I think the funniest part for me was Matt finding a rock in his ice cream. It took me a second to realize what happened but I lol'd.

I agree. The fact that natural ice cream still has some unprocessed rocks was a great concept. I think of all the "characters" by the LRR crew, Matt had the perfect look and blended in the best with the archival footage. Excellent casting there!

(But is Paul going be a victim to typecasting as a mining supervisor? :P )

ZephCrow wrote:The whole time I was watching this video, my brain was thinking, "What...? WHAT." Just over and over again.

For some reason, it made perfect sense. In a way that it didn't make sense at all.

Fantastic.

There is pure awesomeness to a lot of the LRR "science and reasoning" that cracks me up, eg this video and also Paul's logic in "Bagel Time".

I thought this video was great! It was more subtle, but I enjoy that type of humor where you have to pay attention to the background or the quick jokes told in a serious context. It's definitely one of those you appreciate more and more.

The matching of the archival footage with the story rocked. Now I know why Canada is so important. And what if those oil fields aren't really oil, but chocolate syrup? Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

[runs off to get some ice cream]
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 08 Jul 2008, 18:42

A blast from the past, lads. My old LRR Challenge fan fiction entry, as told by story guy. Damn, now I want some malted caramel ice cream.

~~~~~~~

The year was 1969. It was a warm spring day, and the air was positively perfumed with the scent of warm root beer. The buggy was undergoing maintenance, so I was spending the morning playing chess with russian grandmaster Molpov Askendav for a small wager of one hundred thousand rubles.

All of a sudden, I had a sudden craving for malted caramel ice cream and, as we all know, malted caramel ice cream hadn't been invented yet. Of course, while I say it hadn't been invented, technically it had. A swedish chemist by the name of Syvek Klein had, quite by accident, discovered a pair of organic compounds that, when combined over low heat with a bit of milk, produced a freezable hyrdocarbon substance with the distinct properties of malted caramel ice cream. The discovery had occured over a month before, but Klein's breath-taking find had been eclipsed by some geo-political turmoil of the time and true understanding of just what he had achieved escaped mankind for another two years.

Regardless, not knowing that I could take a quick jaunt down to Syvek's mountain laboratory and procure a copious amount of synthetic malted caramel ice cream in exchange for a few litres of Jx951 (which, mind you, I always had in ready supply at my Parisian headquarters), I instead took my leave of Askendav (he hadn't expected my countering his Capa Ferro with a strong Thibault) and warmed up the skip. Naturally, jury-rigging a dimensional transport vehicle for temporal travel is a tricky business and the gyroscopic stabilizers I had access to were, shall we say, not the finest grade produced during the Cold War era. Still, I shouldered onwards and in a matter of a few hours tinkering I had finished the conversion and, miraculously, starting only one minor accidental fission reaction in the process.

Shortly thereafter I arrived in the year 1990 (this due of course to limited energy reserves in the skip allowing only for short burst temporal rifts) and, calling upon the aid of my good friend Stanley Kirk Burrel, I brushed up on my break dancing, procured a new pair of hammer pants (my previous pair had tragically been incinerated in an air-to-air collision) and managed to locate a reasonably priced batch of malted caramel ice cream. As I took my leave of the world of 1990, I neglected to compensate for the heightened military air presence present in anticipation of the next day's launch of the Space Shuttle Discovery with the Hubble Telescope aboard.

The resulting dogfight, though recorded, has still to be declassified so I can't say too much more on the subject, except that opening a temporal gateway in supersonic flight only four hundred feet above the tree line can produce some unsavory fluctuations in the time-space continuum. Long story short, I ended up low on fuel a tad over a quarter of the way through the year 2007, and single-handedly responsible for the invention of lemon-flavored pocky.

Undaunted, I proceeded to an internet cafe where I hacked through their meager security counter-measures and remotely accessed my underground server block. As I perused the files in my database pertinant to recalibrating the skip's computer guidance systems in order to return to my 1969 vacation, I was struck by the notion that I should check my favorite web sites for updates, it having been two days and a collective total of 114 years through time since I'd last been online.

Visiting one of my favorite sketch comedy video sites, I was startled to learn that one of their number had succumbed to both death and undeath in a single day, and now roamed through the terrified suburbs of Victoria, British Columbia. Naturally I set off at once, tracked down the poor soul, dismembered his shambling corpse in order to lay him to rest, and stuffed a few cloves of garlic into his mouth to ensure the necromantic magics would be properly befouled. Of course, your Majesty, one simply cannot make Andean Chok'wan Perogies without garlic, thus why I had to pop off to the grocery store to replenish my stock, and why I must inform you dinner will be served just a few minutes late. More champagne?

~~~~~~~

~Alja~
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 08 Jul 2008, 18:49

Dude, dude, dude.

I smell season three of Ice Road Truckers on History Channel already.

"Hugh Rowland, the polar bear of the ice roads, picks up he latest load of mining equipment from Yellowknife to take up to the creamining plants of Nornthern Canada. This time it's a grinding turbine able to remove thick layers of chocolate chip cookie dough and mix it in with the vanilla deposits it encapsulates."

But yeah, I like it when you take yoruselves so seriously that you know this is all too big a joke. And actually, Matt's glasses were PER-FECT for the role he played as the family patriarch who likes to relax after a hard day at the office with a cigarette and a bowl of Butter Pecan.

Also, the t-shirt idea? Seconded. Though we will see how popular the video gets, because then maybe it will be worth the production.
dark_realm
Aussie Auto Annihilator

Postby dark_realm » 08 Jul 2008, 18:52

the only part i dont like about this video is when jer said "im gay actually" cause it drawed away from the serious tone of the video, but i still lol'd at it.. so i should stop complaining.. but now i am off to get some ice cream.. tootles!
CaPpY wrote:dark_realm really is a jerk....
achesst

Postby achesst » 08 Jul 2008, 18:57

As persuasive as that was, I'm still not totally convinced that ice-cream comes from underground deposits. Are you sure it's not processed from the milk taken from a cow's udders?
Kate!

Postby Kate! » 08 Jul 2008, 19:40

I don't care what anybody says.
I thought this video was hilarious.
Daniel
First Video: The first one

Postby Daniel » 08 Jul 2008, 19:44

Great! The kind of cascading silliness LRR does well. Stuck perhaps a little too closely to the premise, and didn't need the "organic" angle. Went into the silliness red zone for me (which is good) at the "From the earth, to your table" ending. Loved paul's excitement.
florn
It's Over 2000!!!

Postby florn » 08 Jul 2008, 20:02

Strawberry/Chocolate retainment on purpose? Same shirt in the ad as in the video? Moo?
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 08 Jul 2008, 20:08

Graham wrote:It was a concept video, not a LOL-fest.

Exactly what I mean. What I said was not meant to be taken in a bad way. I really enjoyed the visual goodies in the video, and i enjoyed the characters. It looked like a highschool video that the teachers used to make you watch which was neat way to make it, totally the point.. unfortunatly thats how it also felt to me.

It's nice to see you guys taking chances and really pushing yourselves when it comes to things like characters and editing. Was it all greenscreened or was some on location?
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 08 Jul 2008, 20:29

Nuanced intellectual humor is good. Not everything has to be full of lulz, just as not all ice cream should be chocolate.

I do think the emphasis on 'organic' was unnecessary, and Jer's character's profession of homosexuality violates the genre in a way that I think detracts from the humor slightly. Parody is best when it's played with a straight face, and acknowledging the ridiculousness of the ultra-wholesome style diminishes that element of parody.

Those are minor flaws in a generally excellent video.
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
robothero
First Video: Ways to drink a Coke?

Postby robothero » 08 Jul 2008, 21:39

Somehow the epitome of this video was that they have to get Neapolitan from the chance combination of three different veins of ice cream.
CanCarter

Postby CanCarter » 08 Jul 2008, 23:20

Are you forum people telling me that this educational film about where ice cream really comes from was not the truth?
danpete6
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby danpete6 » 08 Jul 2008, 23:24

the fact that its 'mining a delicious treat out of the earth' reminds me of the 1985 film 'the stuff'.
fbuh wrote:both mario 64 and portal taught me that cake is bad for you
AeroCmdr
Requires Additional Pylons

Postby AeroCmdr » 08 Jul 2008, 23:28

I now crave ice cream. Great video!
HomerTheBrave

Postby HomerTheBrave » 09 Jul 2008, 03:04

Follow up: "The Sweetness And The Terror: The Untold Story of Ice Cream Miners"
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 09 Jul 2008, 04:32

I totally had a spoonful of maple walnut icecream after this. LRR, mekkin ppl do thurr biddin since '08.

NOT THE CIGGAREEETTTEEEESSS!!!
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 09 Jul 2008, 04:43

TheRocketSiobhan wrote:I totally had a spoonful of maple walnut icecream after this. LRR, mekkin ppl do thurr biddin since '08.

Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
CygnusX1

Postby CygnusX1 » 09 Jul 2008, 05:15

I, like many other people found this video to be a little boring. Once you get past the initial joke of "hey look they are mining icecream" there wasn't a whole lot there. Once I saw the direction the video was going in... the rest was too predictable.
Casandro

Postby Casandro » 09 Jul 2008, 05:39

Great video, despite of the glitches. Maybe next time you should complete re-encode the original MPEG2 footage into something without intraframes before you edit. (eg into DV)

The background in the scene with Jer just looks a bit to modern. Maybe you could try and find some electronics museum that has old scopes or something.
robothero
First Video: Ways to drink a Coke?

Postby robothero » 09 Jul 2008, 05:41

Also, I was reminded of the spaghetti harvest:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyUvNnmFtgI
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 09 Jul 2008, 07:25

DicyDax wrote:
sevey wrote:
DicyDax wrote:
TheRocketSiobhan wrote:Personally I thought it was well done, but boring.
QFT

QFT?

Quoted for truth

hehehe, the first several times I heard this I though it meant quite f**king true.
-Wraith
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 09 Jul 2008, 07:26

The t-shirt ad in this one was freaking creepy. Paul looked like hypnotic Rasputin!
-Wraith
foxtrot_MGS

Postby foxtrot_MGS » 09 Jul 2008, 08:42

I'm terrified to ask where you get your ideas for videos.

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”