Graham!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Richard

Graham!

Postby Richard » 07 Nov 2005, 08:44

So I finally visit your website and it's awesome. That music rant-snob video should be played in "indie" music stores on a looped feed that cannot be turned off!

Richard McD
Rhynome
First Video: Folklore

Postby Rhynome » 08 Nov 2005, 12:50

The guy really has a point.

Though yeah the way you just said things in that video was really well done, I suppose being Canadian you have more sarcasm than a Yank, so it helps.

Uhm, you are Canadian... right? I'm pretty sure you are but I actually need that to be cleared up. I once thought for about a number of months that I made up zinc and convinced myself that it was a metal. So I often get confused over 'did I just imagine he's canadian' sorta thing.
Morgan
LRR Crew

Postby Morgan » 08 Nov 2005, 13:35

very much canadian.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 08 Nov 2005, 13:53

Indeed, we're very Canadian. It's just like being Canadian, but "very".

-G
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 08 Nov 2005, 13:56

That's a whole lot more.
"It's nice to think that before "Adam and Eve", there was "Earl Grey""
Rhynome

Postby Rhynome » 08 Nov 2005, 14:25

You see in Britian we 'like' Canadians and 'tolerate' Unitedstatesians (It had to be used somewhere).

I mean we don't dislike yanks but Canadians have much more going for them. And it was the Victoria air guitar championship and the halloween carols* that helped heavily, along with the accents, but couldn't be too sure.

*"Let's pretend we're from the States."
Under13

Postby Under13 » 08 Nov 2005, 14:38

Graham wrote:Indeed, we're very Canadian. It's just like being Canadian, but "very".

-G

One could say that you are CLEARLY Canadian...

8)
Dana

Postby Dana » 08 Nov 2005, 18:54

Nuh-uh, I've met Graham, and his opaque, rather than clear. It would be more accurate if he was Opaquely Canadian, but that makes no sense, really.
"I swear it," said the other mother. "I swear it on my own mother's grave."

"Does she have a grave?" asked Coraline.

"Oh yes," said the other mother. "I put her in there myself. And when I found her trying to crawl out, I put her back."
miakosummin

Postby miakosummin » 08 Nov 2005, 20:43

Well, in a certain light, you can see a slight transparacy. Maybe 5% Semi-transparently canadian. On most monitors, at least.

You know, I've made a number of comments like this, and I'd really hate to find out I'm extending a joke thats actually an inside joke for other people. I apologize if this is so.
Dana

Postby Dana » 08 Nov 2005, 22:33

Nope, no inside joke here. Unless I, too, am unaware of one.

*GASP* There may be an inside joke conspiracy going on, and no one would even know!

"Oh yes," said the other mother. "I put her in there myself. And when I found her trying to crawl out, I put her back."
umbrellaless

Postby umbrellaless » 08 Nov 2005, 22:34

I've seen Americans wear Canadian "gear" (i.e.-a Canadian flag sewn onto something) abroad to avoid being hassled by the locals. But then they just get hassled by us realCanadians travelling abroad who get ridiculously excited whenever we see another Canadian around. Seriously, every time I saw a Canadian flag I rushed up to whoever it was and introduced myself. I spent HOURS in Canada House in London reading Canadian newspapers. I think I learned more about Canada and met more Canadians while abroad than I did for any of the other countries I visited. Combined.
"When you do not speak, other people presume you to be deaf or feeble-minded and promptly make a show of their own limitations"
Richard

Well...

Postby Richard » 09 Nov 2005, 01:43

Graham Stark gives me movie tickets for free...so I like him. And that's the only reason. Oh, and I'm from Whitehorse- That's in Alaska for all you American Idiots. I also like Green Day.

But mostly just Sam Cooke.
Under13

Postby Under13 » 09 Nov 2005, 06:55

Dana wrote:Nuh-uh, I've met Graham, and his opaque, rather than clear. It would be more accurate if he was Opaquely Canadian, but that makes no sense, really.

I would imagine that it probably wouldn't taste as good, either. Kinda like the inverse of the Crystal Pepsi concept...
Dana

Postby Dana » 09 Nov 2005, 21:45

And the Crystal Pepsi was bad enough :shock:

miakosummin

Postby miakosummin » 09 Nov 2005, 22:14

Crystal Pepsi? Never had it. Although I seem to be the only person who didnt mind pepsi blue...

Johnny_Lunchbox

Postby Johnny_Lunchbox » 10 Nov 2005, 03:27

'Crystal Pepsi' was a stroke of marketing genius where they took Diet Pepsi (which is God-awful enough as it is) and made it tase even more like syrupy tonic water. And it was clear.

Their marketing angle was that it's 'Clearly delicious' or some garbage like that.

Despite the genius I'm sure they thought this gimmick was at the time, it still tasted like diet-shit (which is shit with Nutra-Sweet sprinkled into it), and faded into marketing oblivion.
Dana

Postby Dana » 10 Nov 2005, 15:57

Johnny_Lunchbox wrote:Despite the genius I'm sure they thought this gimmick was at the time, it still tasted like diet-shit (which is shit with Nutra-Sweet sprinkled into it), and faded into marketing oblivion.

Thank the gods for that.

Under13

Postby Under13 » 11 Nov 2005, 07:11

I never understood the concept of putting Crystal Pepsi in a can.

I mean, seriously...in a can? The whole novelty of the product is lost once you put something whose only defining uniqueness is VISUAL into an opaque container! How do you know that they aren't really just giving you regular Diet Pepsi? Sure, you could pour it into a glass or something, but by that point, you've already bought the product, so you've already fallen victim...

I think this was where they went wrong.
Rhynome

Postby Rhynome » 11 Nov 2005, 07:40

Ok, I was having mildish giggles at this thread, as I've never had the 'joy' of experiencing or seing crystal pepsi (though there was a 'crystal cola' reference in an 'Ambrosia Software' game, 'Escape Velocity'.) but when I find out that they put it in a can.

Aaah, yes, the hidden humour of marketing.
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 11 Nov 2005, 07:44

Rhynome, it must be some North American thing. And Escape Velocity rules all other games.
"It's nice to think that before "Adam and Eve", there was "Earl Grey""
Johnny_Lunchbox

Postby Johnny_Lunchbox » 11 Nov 2005, 08:42

Under13 wrote:I never understood the concept of putting Crystal Pepsi in a can...

...I think this was where they went wrong.

Yes, that *was* a mistake... but I think that, even in a bottle, the product would have failed simply based on the dangerously high level of poo content.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 13 Nov 2005, 21:10

umbrellaless wrote:I've seen Americans wear Canadian "gear" (i.e.-a Canadian flag sewn onto something) abroad to avoid being hassled by the locals. But then they just get hassled by us realCanadians travelling abroad who get ridiculously excited whenever we see another Canadian around. Seriously, every time I saw a Canadian flag I rushed up to whoever it was and introduced myself. I spent HOURS in Canada House in London reading Canadian newspapers. I think I learned more about Canada and met more Canadians while abroad than I did for any of the other countries I visited. Combined.

Am I the only one that didn;t understand this one?..
Rhynome

Postby Rhynome » 14 Nov 2005, 11:58

Canadians are preferred abroad (out of North America) to those from the US. So some Americans (US) make a point of sewing canadian flags to their backpacks to try and not be harrassed.

This leads to trouble as Canadians are often very social with other Canadians abroad, meaning that they run up 'OOOH, YOU CANADIAN!' Then the US slowly sinks away and whimpers as the Canadian realises that he's from the US and is trying not to get harrassed.

Umbrellaless also mentioned that in his time in London he spent much of it in Canada House getting a taste of home, talking to other Canadians. He met more Canadians there than he did anywhere else outside of Canada.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 14 Nov 2005, 19:03

Rhynome wrote:Canadians are preferred abroad (out of North America) to those from the US. So some Americans (US) make a point of sewing canadian flags to their backpacks to try and not be harrassed.

This leads to trouble as Canadians are often very social with other Canadians abroad, meaning that they run up 'OOOH, YOU CANADIAN!' Then the US slowly sinks away and whimpers as the Canadian realises that he's from the US and is trying not to get harrassed.

Umbrellaless also mentioned that in his time in London he spent much of it in Canada House getting a taste of home, talking to other Canadians. He met more Canadians there than he did anywhere else outside of Canada.

Ahhh..thank you for that.

Btw Graham, what is your website?
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 14 Nov 2005, 19:22

JesterJ. wrote:Btw Graham, what is your website?

Uhhh... you're looking at it, man.

-G

Return to “General Discussion”