Veterans Day (US)

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Under13

Veterans Day (US)

Postby Under13 » 11 Nov 2005, 07:03

So today is Veterans Day. And I work at Lockheed, where a good 50% of the current employees are former-military.

There is a huge snowball-email going around on my program, where all the veterans are tacking on inspirational / clever quotes from various generals and whatnot.

Three times now, I have had to use every fibre of my willpower to resist the urge to ReplyAll, adding:

"Take off every Zig for great justice!"
- Captain, 2101
Last edited by Under13 on 11 Nov 2005, 07:33, edited 1 time in total.
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 11 Nov 2005, 07:10

I honestly fail to care very much. No offence to all America-jins.
"It's nice to think that before "Adam and Eve", there was "Earl Grey""
Under13

Postby Under13 » 11 Nov 2005, 07:34

irony--
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 11 Nov 2005, 08:31

Dude, you totally have to do that. So funny.

It's Remembrance Day in Canada as well. Same deal really. It used to be called Armistice Day, but they changed it.

-G
Johnny_Lunchbox

Postby Johnny_Lunchbox » 11 Nov 2005, 08:39

AmazingPjotrMan wrote:I honestly fail to care very much. No offence to all America-jins.

B'ah. Sweden didn't actively participate in either of the World Wars (you were too busy "supporting your own economy" and "not being killed for no apparent reason"), so you don't count today. :P

And, I'm not sure about the Entente countries (was Entente the side we weren't on? I think so...) but rememberance day started to commemorate World War 1 (wich the Americans didn't join until way-late in the war, so you don't count either), which saw more or less all of Europe effectively march into a meat grinder (Trench Warfare != Super Soccer Boing Boing Happy Fun Time). And act as a kind of "never again" type thing.

And we all know how great us doubleplus smart citizens of the world are at the whole "learning from mistakes of the past" thing.

Rememberance day was since adopted by more or less every military excursion. Which is good, 'cause apparently there are only five people left from the original war in North America to commemorate for the original war.
AmazingPjotrMan

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 11 Nov 2005, 09:21

Don't forget super secret co ops. And of course Hamilton. But no, we haven't actually participated in a war in... oh several hundred years. But then again, we're so close to Germany that we would be overthrown rather quickly. We don't really focus on military around here. Right now there is the currency chrisis.

But dying for no apparent reason never has been very appealing. 8)
matthewm
First Video: Sometthing from years ago.

Postby matthewm » 11 Nov 2005, 10:13

It was pepero day in korea.
people gave each other choclate cookie sticks (like pocky) because it is a thin day (1111)
Rhynome
First Video: Folklore

Postby Rhynome » 11 Nov 2005, 10:22

Remembrance day parade in Britain on Sunday. Yeah, we have the whole remember the dead thing.
But something that gets on my nerves every remembrance day is that the Axis or Central Powers are always shunned, they were just fighting the same as our countries were, I think we really ought to have truely combined efforts, not just political photo ops but Germans, French, Austrians, Norwegians, so on all intermingling with each other instead of this whole segregation thing. I want to go into London and see German troops in full uniform with German war veterans marching with our home British troops and war veterans, but we bearly see that. If we're going to remember it, and how horrific it is we should make a show about how it's regretted by everyone by having everyone there.
Alex Steacy
First Video: Beats me! No seriously Graham hits me.

Postby Alex Steacy » 11 Nov 2005, 10:46

I did this illustration for today. After circulating it around my office, I laid a copy at the war memorial downtown.

AmazingPjotrMan wrote:I honestly fail to care very much. No offence to all America-jins.

Saying you don't care about the World Wars is a grave insult to everyone with a pulse. I don't support warfare in any form, but I sure as hell give due respect to those lost in tragedy and recognize the significance of major combats that have carved much of this world.

No offense to you Sweden-ites.
Rhynome

Postby Rhynome » 11 Nov 2005, 12:20

I don't like the phrase 'lost their lives'. They didn't lose them, everyone knew exactly where they were going, they were going into the hands of the generals and politicians kilometres back from the actual fighting. It's less 'lost their lives' and more 'had their lives stolen from them' and may I add in one of the most hideous manners imaginable.
ontarianfrog
First Video: It was back in 04.. How would I remember

Postby ontarianfrog » 11 Nov 2005, 12:30

All wars are civil, cause men are all brothers.

something like that from a great person which I can't name at the moment, will edit this later.

But yeah. Remember Passchendaele ppl. where 300 000 ppl lost their lives for nothing (British and Canadians).
Rhynome

Postby Rhynome » 11 Nov 2005, 13:13

And all the Germans who were on that line.
Armand

Postby Armand » 11 Nov 2005, 14:36

Rhynome wrote:I don't like the phrase 'lost their lives'. They didn't lose them, everyone knew exactly where they were going, they were going into the hands of the generals and politicians kilometres back from the actual fighting. It's less 'lost their lives' and more 'had their lives stolen from them' and may I add in one of the most hideous manners imaginable.

I dislike the terms "lost lives" as well as "stolen lives." To me, these people, no matter where they are from, no matter what they are fighting for, or whether they fully supported it, gave thier lives for a cause. They gave thier lives to the people of thier countries, thier leaders, and in some cases to the entire world, which is something I have the highest respect for, especially since going to war is something I know I could never do personally.

And believe me, if you've seen me, I'm not the person you want fighting a war, or carrying a gun, or even carrying anything that weighs very much. I'm of a skinny breed, and now slightly depressed at my lack of muscley man skills.
This Baby tastes like a 4 year old!

-Armand Schmidt
www.thewastedpotentials.com
Slick Rick

Postby Slick Rick » 11 Nov 2005, 15:46

if you ask me war should be more like the UFC. We put the leaders of whatever countries want to go to war into a hexagon shaped ring surrounded by chain link fence, chicken wire and razor wire and let them beat the living hell out each other. to the winner goes the spoils. not only that but it would be entertaining as hell.
Paul Martin VS George W Bush, now theirs a fight that i would pay to see.
BEER ME! FOR I AM CANADIAN!
DP

Postby DP » 11 Nov 2005, 17:27

This may not be as obvious in the U.S. (where it is called "Veteran's Day"), but in Canada "Remembrance Day" always seemed to me like a time to meditate on the horror of war in general. It isn't just about those who fought and died in uniform, but also about resistance fighters, civilian casualties, and other victims - all of whom did not make the same choice to get involved in the military.
AmazingPjotrMan

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 11 Nov 2005, 17:52

Alex, what I'm saying is that I don't care about veteran day in particular since it doesn't really affect me, in any way. Assuming that I don't care about what happened during the world war is your mistake.
Alex Steacy

Postby Alex Steacy » 11 Nov 2005, 23:57

AmazingPjotrMan wrote:Alex, what I'm saying is that I don't care about veteran day in particular since it doesn't really affect me, in any way. Assuming that I don't care about what happened during the world war is your mistake.

In what way do you feel it doesn't affect you then?
Johnny_Lunchbox

Postby Johnny_Lunchbox » 12 Nov 2005, 06:40

Euh... I dunno if I'd want our 'leaders' to be able to personally win control over a region through any form of physical violence... of all the belief systems, only the most wrong thrive under violence. You'd have nothing but dictatorial leadership under... let's just say minds of less-than-political-genius.
Alex Steacy

Postby Alex Steacy » 12 Nov 2005, 09:49

Slick Rick wrote:if you ask me war should be more like the UFC. We put the leaders of whatever countries want to go to war into a hexagon shaped ring surrounded by chain link fence, chicken wire and razor wire and let them beat the living hell out each other. to the winner goes the spoils. not only that but it would be entertaining as hell.
Paul Martin VS George W Bush, now theirs a fight that i would pay to see.

I forsee one minor snag in this solution. Future presidents would be voted in based on their fighting ability, so the U.S. would be headed by Mike Tyson.

Though by rights it SHOULD be headed by none other than Mike Haggar.

It would be entertaining to see Tony Jaa as president of Thailand, too.
AmazingPjotrMan

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 12 Nov 2005, 12:18

Alex Steacy wrote:
In what way do you feel it doesn't affect you then?

What I had mentioned in my post is that the date in question does not hold any value, sentimental or otherwise, with me and that I have had no opportunity up until recently to learn of its existence within US society. There is more I could say to this point. But to avoid any further conflict I shall refrain from including any further information. This is as the points may or (or may not, as the case may be) cause any offense.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 12 Nov 2005, 17:34

Alex Steacy wrote:It would be entertaining to see Tony Jaa as president of Thailand, too.

Tailand would be the #1 world power.

Also, I just saw Street Fighter (with Van Damme) on TV the other day.

UN Secretary: "You've lost your mind..."
Guile (Van Damme): "No. You've lost your balls!"

Gold.

-G
Armand

Postby Armand » 13 Nov 2005, 01:10

And just think, we could have had a sequel if Raul Julia hadn't died right in the middle of filming. Any time I see Ming-Na on ER or whatever that new show she has is, Chun-Li is all I think about.
This Baby tastes like a 4 year old!

-Armand Schmidt

www.thewastedpotentials.com

Return to “General Discussion”