commodoreHUSTLE 01 - Laundry

Talk about commodoreHUSTLE, LRR's continuing web series.
Zombaholic
First Video: Bioshocked

Postby Zombaholic » 21 Oct 2008, 12:47

It was in the first episode. When Daisy asked Tim "It's times like this we wish we could talk telepathically eh Tim?"

Camera swoops to Tim with the same blank stare

Daisy, "Shit"

And later when she thought of something and Tim replied to Daisy, BUT SHE SAID IT IN HER MIIIIND!
Ask me anything about Reboot!
Don't ask me anything about reboot
Chris_Gonzalez

Postby Chris_Gonzalez » 21 Oct 2008, 12:48

Pure brilliance. It was amazing.

I want more.

I'm so shocked at the awesome that I can only speak in relatively short sentences (excluding this one explaining my condition).
Hawkaris
First Video: 1337

Postby Hawkaris » 21 Oct 2008, 13:03

It lacked a bit of the crazy I've come to expect from the "us playing ourselves" videos (mostly of the labcoat variety). That being said, I enjoyed it very much, as the funny was indeed brought. I think my favourite aspect of this video is how it was put together. You did a great job balancing the arcs and dealing with the multiple timelines.

Is there a proper cinema name for the Scrubs moment, when the characters stare at the ceiling before the show launches into a brief vignette about what they were discussing? During the show the site was shown and discussed; are you ever going to be shown shooting a video in one of these? From the closing shot, it looks like Matt's 360 isn't fairing too well; is expensive technology going to break in every episode?
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Re: commodoreHUSTLE 01 - Laundry

Postby Master Gunner » 21 Oct 2008, 13:15

Lyinginbedmon wrote:
Graham wrote:I guess one could treat this as the "Marvel Ultimate Universe" LoadingReadyRun. It's not the same "continuity" as previous videos, but we're picking and choosing what traits and events "happened" and running with that.

Our plan however is that...all "us playing us" energy will be focused into commodoreHUSTLE.

Please let us know what you think!

Hmm...I'm going to continue with cH as being the same continuity (It's largely fan-based so I can justify that) until it becomes certain that the two are separate, in which case cH could take place in the universe Jer hopped to in One Minute Shorts (Which, by the present LRRd Timeline, is a separate universe).

If nothing else, the base universe LRR crew could be filming the cHs and it be a video (After all, it's established already that not all videos are canon, therefore not all videos occur as events in the base universe)
Master Gunner wrote:In my defense, Son of a Bitch showed Paul and James living together, we've never seen Ben and Adam's living arrangements in a video before, and Easy Bake Spore implied that Bill was still living with Jer.

SoaB showed Matt & Graham, Bagel Time showed Paul & James. It could also be assumed that Bill had only just left Jer's residence for Morgan's and still had his key.

Sorry, I mistyped, I was thinking Bagel Time.

For the timeline, how I thought it could be done was to take what you have, put it up on the wiki, and save it as the timeline of LRR up to that point. If future sketches refer to things in there, then you can link them in, but it will for the most part be the complete timeline of that LRRverse.
Then you can start a new timeline for commodoreHUSTLE, and that will be a new timeline for a parallel, but different, LRRverse, and will be the one we will deal with from this point on, much in the same way the old timeline was developed.
However, for now it might be best to keep the timeline separate, make your notes and everything, but mark them pre-season 6, and post-season 6. Then when we have more information to go on about how this will deviate from what's already being done, we can figure out how to best integrate the timelines, or whether or not we even want to.

I'm personally of the opinion that the more convoluted and make-shift your continuity is, the better. So I want to see just how confusing it could be made.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 21 Oct 2008, 13:17

Hawkaris wrote:is expensive technology going to break in every episode?

Not every episode...
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 21 Oct 2008, 13:46

Okay, here's a questions. When I first watched the video, I thought for a bit that the girl that Morgan pulled (before it was implied she was hideous, I'm not trying to be a bastard) was going to be Kathleen. Not 'Kathleen playing a random woman in a wig, but the Kathleen playing Kathleen'. This confused me, as I felt this was never an LRR dynamic. So, are you going to be putting drama in the CH sitcom? The Uwe Boll inteview aside, LRR has never attempted to be serious, I hope that you keep it that way. This is always something that annoyed me with Pure Pwnage. When it is trying to be funny or ridiculous, it really is; but the drama aspect just was lost on me.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 21 Oct 2008, 13:47

Graham wrote:
Hawkaris wrote:is expensive technology going to break in every episode?

Not every episode...

Graham, have I emailed you that cH script idea I had where your computer explodes when you try to export a video? No? Should I? No?

:o
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 21 Oct 2008, 14:10

Emperor Gum wrote:So, are you going to be putting drama in the CH sitcom?

Only if it's funny.

Certainly not boy/girl crap like you were fearing.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 21 Oct 2008, 14:11

I hope this series continues for a LONG time! I've been waiting for a sitcom where you guys play yourselves and I really do enjoy them. Looking forward to a long series!
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
teknotheef

Postby teknotheef » 21 Oct 2008, 14:20

I thoroughly enjoyed this video. I like the you being yourself type thing. It gives me fond memories of life in North America instead of frozen Siberia.
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Good times

Postby ecocd » 21 Oct 2008, 14:22

The video was great with many laughing, snickering and chuckles throughout. I'm interested to see where it's going to go, but I think I might buck the trend a little and say that I think I'll miss the steady stream of the skits. I know they're not disappearing entirely, but I do fear they may have to get the short end of the stick in terms of prep and post time with the episodic content consuming so much LRR time.

Still, I agree this is the way to get noticed. Is Graham really going as far as cutting back hours at work to make this happen? Are other members making such sacrifices? If you're going to do something and do it right, you've gotta commit, eh?
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 21 Oct 2008, 14:25

Graham wrote:

Only if it's funny.

So it will be like the dramatic stuff in the Cardboard Man trailer (ie dramatic shots of people ending with one of someone doing something unrelated)?

Anyway, I liked it since I got my internet to let me watch it. It was a little less madcap and goofy, which I think we came to understand was part of the "us being us" videos, because ultimately you all are very goofy silly people.
Unclever title

Postby Unclever title » 21 Oct 2008, 14:29

Cake wrote:I would like to see a .gif of Jer finding his own wanted poster. I wouldn't use it as an avatar though (lacks cake).

I personally would like a gif of Paul's "Communicating Telepathically?."
Though I guess that would be more of a still image wouldn't it? Never mind I can get that on my own.

I skimmed the thread but didn't see if anyone answered this.

Who was that guy Morgan handed the flyer to? Was he an actual passerby?

(SIDE NOTE: Apparently the auto spell check wants flyer to be spelled flier.)
My train of thought is more like a roller coaster that has loop de loops and no safety bars.
I don't know if I'm tall enough to ride.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 21 Oct 2008, 14:30

tak197 wrote:
Graham wrote:

Only if it's funny.

So it will be like the dramatic stuff in the Cardboard Man trailer (ie dramatic shots of people ending with one of someone doing something unrelated)?

Anyway, I liked it since I got my internet to let me watch it. It was a little less madcap and goofy, which I think we came to understand was part of the "us being us" videos, because ultimately you all are very goofy silly people.

the madcap and goofy will still probably come back within hustle. the things that happened in too human, bagel time, etc could all concievably fit within the new universe. it's set in a pseudo "real world" but is not neccessarily constrained to only include realistic things. there was simply less madcap goofiness in this particular episode, becayse it was an establisher.

though I do think the telepathic communication bit was approaching our typical level of real-world hyperbole.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 21 Oct 2008, 14:31

Matt wrote:though I do think the telepathic communication bit was approaching our typical level of real-world hyperbole.

This.
Zack

Postby Zack » 21 Oct 2008, 14:47

I just noticed that for the credits, under shooting it says "Graham and Paul", although there is at least one where they are in the same shot and there is camera movement. ???

Having said that, I'm not complaining. :D I thoroughly enjoyed the video and like the idea of commodoreHUSTLE.

~Zack
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 21 Oct 2008, 16:25

Theoretically, since they move past the camera before it moves, maybe one of them just turns to get behind it and pushes it. It could easily be on a dolly.

~Alja~
Alkesh Naranek

Postby Alkesh Naranek » 21 Oct 2008, 16:40

Absolutely awesometastic.

wordnerd wrote:[...]
defenestration - the act of throwing a person out a window
[...]

Ahhh.....latest "The Simpsons" episode ;)
"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, and the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast terrible inbetween."

-Emperor Turhan of the Centauri Republic, Earth Year 2259
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 21 Oct 2008, 17:19

The Kinda Second Zack wrote:I just noticed that for the credits, under shooting it says "Graham and Paul", although there is at least one where they are in the same shot and there is camera movement. ???

That was Morgan. I forgot. I think James also shot something too, actually.
robothero
First Video: Ways to drink a Coke?

Postby robothero » 21 Oct 2008, 17:51

There's a lot of good stuff, but since nobody else mentioned it, I really liked the bit where Paul and Graham were like, "Hey, we should make a video about that." More that.

Also, something about the dialogue started putting me in mind of Kevin Smith. (Or maybe it was the beard.)
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!

Postby Master Gunner » 21 Oct 2008, 17:54

Hmm, this looks like something Matt should talk with Paul about: http://hackaday.com/2008/10/12/free-laundry/
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Oxford
First Video: The Whatever Thing

Postby Oxford » 21 Oct 2008, 17:54

Not bad, not bad at all. I like it. You guys do get the "sitcom" air out pretty quick. Just be careful you don't turn into "Friends".

Also, if you ever need an extra cast member, my cell is always on.

Unless I've turned it off.
9 out of 10 Americans believe that out of 10 people 1 American will always disagree with the other 9.
Nomadic
First Video: Serious Cravings

Postby Nomadic » 21 Oct 2008, 18:13

Graham wrote:
Matt wrote:though I do think the telepathic communication bit was approaching our typical level of real-world hyperbole.

This.

Does "This" imply that we will see the time helmet? Or is that TOO far fetched?
Successfully lurking since 1709.
Daniel
First Video: The first one

Postby Daniel » 21 Oct 2008, 18:15

- Love the ambition of this. Your lives as single camera sitcom. Go!
- Strong miscellaneous gags, in particular mastery of the cutaway
- Needs more of a theme, or premise, per episode to tie it together
- Also the people doing something that is visually unusual and interesting.
- Needs way more women in the cast. Ideally 50/50. One of the big things that keeps people watching sitcoms is attraction between the principles.
- Paul should enunciate more
- I wanted much more distinction between the characters - only Morgan stands out.
- Disappointed that it ended up around an "ugly girl" joke. I also don't want to see gay panic jokes forming the meat of upcoming episodes.
- Though I said single camera sitcom, maybe you should use two cameras if possible: when it came to cutting back and forth between people, the rhythm of the dialogue felt off, like a filmed telephone conversation. And timing is absolutely critical for this kind of thing. Some way or another you should try to get unedited stretches of audio track for conversations.
- Performances all around solid
- Looks and sounds great, in a nice variety of locations.
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 21 Oct 2008, 18:22

Daniel wrote:- Needs way more women in the cast. Ideally 50/50. One of the big things that keeps people watching sitcoms is attraction between the principles.

I don't think viewership is going to be an issue. I'm pretty sure most of us will watch it, regardless of gender biasing.
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.

Return to “commodoreHUSTLE”