commodoreHUSTLE 03 - Critical

Talk about commodoreHUSTLE, LRR's continuing web series.
Smallpoxxer

Postby Smallpoxxer » 08 Dec 2008, 14:13

I am not sure the inside joke of Ben being Jewish not really not, so if someone could point out where that referance came from, that would be cool.
Also, if Ben is not Jewish then why is he wearing a star of david. This could just be the inside joke as no one else has pointed it out.
If you can't laugh at yourself, just laugh at other people.
Nomadic
First Video: Serious Cravings

Postby Nomadic » 08 Dec 2008, 14:17

This is the most glorious piece of videography I have yet seen on the internet. You sure you guys aren't secretly some form of advertising company doing a several year buildup to some product in the future?

On a very serious note, I feel the professionalism in the display of everything is far above and beyond that of previous LRR shoots. Keep getting better guys...you guys have already exceeded everyone's expectations for what the internet can provide.

Also: R.I.P. Paul's beard. Q_Q
Successfully lurking since 1709.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 08 Dec 2008, 14:17

Mosespippy and Dominic Appleguard are correct. Each dice was rolled individually a number of times, until a clean 1 was rolled. Then the die were all split-screened together so they all appear rolling at the same time.

And it took a lot more than 20 rolls to get some of those d20s to come up as ones... At one point, I tried to trick them, so I said, "Let's try for a six instead." And honestly 20% of the next thirty or forty rolls were sixes. And no ones. Sooooo annoying.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 08 Dec 2008, 14:24

Kathleen's espionage look is rad. I can't wait to see what happens in episode 4.
Smallpoxxer

Postby Smallpoxxer » 08 Dec 2008, 14:27

I also noticed Paul's line "It turns out life doesn't have a quick save". The way he said it makes it sould like it is a surprise to him too.
If you can't laugh at yourself, just laugh at other people.
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 08 Dec 2008, 14:30

Smallpoxxer wrote:I am not sure the inside joke of Ben being Jewish not really not, so if someone could point out where that referance came from, that would be cool.
Also, if Ben is not Jewish then why is he wearing a star of david. This could just be the inside joke as no one else has pointed it out.

Yeah, I was wondering. Of course, Ben is a very Jewish sort of name. One of Jacob's sons was named Benjamin, so I think that means one of the tribes of Israel went by that name.
I'm neither an expert nor a scholar. However, the social norm for a long time was for Christians to name their children after characters in the New Testament, such as the disciples. When I was a kid, I was so confused as to why people from thousands of years ago, living thousands of miles away, had "English" names like Peter, Thomas, James, John, Andrew, Philip, Matthew, and Simon. Then a few years later I realized, "OH I'M AN IDIOT".
Speaking of which, I know why nobody gets named Judas anymore, but whatever happened to Thaddeus?
This post went really stream-of-consciousness a few lines back.
Zombie Cat
Location: Evanston, IL, also known as te part of Chicago no one wants to talk about

Postby Zombie Cat » 08 Dec 2008, 14:34

Nice video. cHustle keeps getting better and better.

paul's variations of pwn was awesome. :D
RAWR!
ImageImageImage
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Evil Jim ruins it for everyone

Postby Evil Jim » 08 Dec 2008, 14:35

Evil Jim wrote:But am I right??
Tim wrote:Bordering on it.

I did call split-screen photography.

Watch the purple dice.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Aztec Cowboy Mafia

Postby Aztec Cowboy Mafia » 08 Dec 2008, 14:36

Tim wrote:Mosespippy and Dominic Appleguard are correct. Each dice was rolled individually a number of times, until a clean 1 was rolled. Then the die were all split-screened together so they all appear rolling at the same time.

And it took a lot more than 20 rolls to get some of those d20s to come up as ones... At one point, I tried to trick them, so I said, "Let's try for a six instead." And honestly 20% of the next thirty or forty rolls were sixes. And no ones. Sooooo annoying.

Man oh man.

And the reason you guys didn't just weight the actual dice? I mean, if I'd known you were going to put that much effort into it, I would've given you mine to microwave for real and saved you the hassle.

Still, props for massive effort. Your commitment to comedy is frankly heroic.
there are mad and beautiful things beneath the skin of the world we know
Tim
proudfoot

Postby Tim » 08 Dec 2008, 14:36

It was hinging on your definition of the word "photography". Nothing in the dice sequence was photographed...
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 08 Dec 2008, 14:40

Tim wrote:It was hinging on your definition of the word "photography". Nothing in the dice sequence was photographed...

I'm not much of a video geek so I used the best terminology I could think of. I even had to look up "dolly-zoom" to be sure I used it correctly.

It's still nice work on the shots. I never would have noticed had I not decided to go through each sequence frame-by-frame. They're all beautiful roll spreads too. Half the time mine usually go off the edge of my rolling surface.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 08 Dec 2008, 14:44

I've only played one D&D session (and it was online), and it was a lot shittier than that. I AM JEALOUS OF THE COHESION OF YOUR GROUP!
Brightmorn

Postby Brightmorn » 08 Dec 2008, 14:46

Graham wrote:
theashigaru wrote:Why is Jer wearing no shoes when he comes into the apartment? Morgan wasn't wearing any either.

Oops.
I guess Morgan is very courteous while he's sabotaging Jer?

They took off the shoes for STEALTH reasons! No foot prints and less sound!
Kroze
Filled With Regret

Postby Kroze » 08 Dec 2008, 14:47

Tim wrote:Mosespippy and Dominic Appleguard are correct. Each dice was rolled individually a number of times, until a clean 1 was rolled. Then the die were all split-screened together so they all appear rolling at the same time.

.... yeah... next time you should just image the 1s on... it would take a LOT less time and be less frustrating.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 08 Dec 2008, 14:49

Kroze wrote:

.... yeah... next time you should just image the 1s on... it would take a LOT less time and be less frustrating.

that would look a lot less convincing, and would suck equally for graham to do.

I am not angry at you.
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 08 Dec 2008, 14:52

Also,
Emperor Gum wrote:
Evil Jim wrote:
Anyways, this is the best cH yet; it still annoys the hell out of me you haven't established that you guys make videos: someone watching just the cH wouldn't understand. Please establish it at some point.
They've established this in just about every CH video so far. "Doing something more with the site." "That would make a great video." Paul in front of the greenscreen going through the iterations of "pwn." Etc. Plus, since Commodore Hustle is already on the LoadingReadyRun website it should be pretty obvious that they make videos.

If you came into the kitchen whilsting a tune and I said that would make a good jazz hook, and then ten minutes later said that my friend and I are meaning to redesign our website, would it be clear that we were in a band? Anyway, it a pointless arguement because no one else cares, and it is really just me nitpicking. If I said you had a beautiful body, Evil Jim, would you hold it against me?

What do you want from them? Just to randomly insert "Man, I sure do love working on videos for LoadingReadyRun.com, our website where we post several humorous videos and other internet entertainment!" in the middle of the video?
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 08 Dec 2008, 14:55

Emperor Gum wrote:
Evil Jim wrote:
Anyways, this is the best cH yet; it still annoys the hell out of me you haven't established that you guys make videos: someone watching just the cH wouldn't understand. Please establish it at some point.
They've established this in just about every CH video so far. "Doing something more with the site." "That would make a great video." Paul in front of the greenscreen going through the iterations of "pwn." Etc. Plus, since Commodore Hustle is already on the LoadingReadyRun website it should be pretty obvious that they make videos.

If you came into the kitchen whilsting a tune and I said that would make a good jazz hook, and then ten minutes later said that my friend and I are meaning to redesign our website, would it be clear that we were in a band? Anyway, it a pointless arguement because no one else cares, and it is really just me nitpicking. If I said you had a beautiful body, Evil Jim, would you hold it against me?

It probably would be clear, if such was presented in a music video on your Jazz band's website.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 08 Dec 2008, 14:59

<Doctor McCoy>Dammit, Jim!</Doctor McCoy>

Well, I'm very proud of both d6 shots.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 08 Dec 2008, 14:59

Amulet of Health and Pounce do not work that way :P
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 08 Dec 2008, 15:01

Kroze wrote:

Actually no that would be way, way more difficult because it involves image tracking and it would look way less convincing.

I chose to do it this way because it would yield the most convincing result, in spite of the time. Tim watched me rolling 20s for probably half an hour.

Lyinginbedmon wrote:Amulet of Health and Pounce do not work that way :P

I can't disagree with that because I don't know better, but I assure you the people in that scene would have brought it up if something was wrong.

Also, they're playing Pathfinder, not D&D.
Last edited by Graham on 08 Dec 2008, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
proudfoot

Postby Tim » 08 Dec 2008, 15:05

Matt wrote:
Emperor Gum wrote:
Evil Jim wrote:

If you came into the kitchen whilsting a tune and I said that would make a good jazz hook, and then ten minutes later said that my friend and I are meaning to redesign our website, would it be clear that we were in a band? Anyway, it a pointless arguement because no one else cares, and it is really just me nitpicking.

It probably would be clear, if such was presented in a music video on your Jazz band's website.

-m

To be honest, I have to agree with Emperor Gum on this. I think a lot of people watching cH as a complete standalone would get lost on a lot of different aspects of the show.

However, cH doesn't exist in a vacuum, and isn't really being promoted as part of a vacuum, so I'm not sure how big a concern it is for the cH episodes to make all of their nuances self-evident.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 08 Dec 2008, 15:09

I agree the most with Emporor Gum when he said this was a stupid thing to argue about and it was really just being nitpicky.
Yet, here we are. Sigh.

I'm with Tim. Can we move on now?
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 08 Dec 2008, 15:12

Huh. cH04:
Graham is filming the crewmembers acting out a generic video.
Graham: Cut! Damnit Morgan, why do you always have to smile at the end of every take?!
Morgan: [insert funny/your mum joke]
Cue introduction music. Emperor Gum is satisfied that major canonical idea is established.
Emperor Gum wrote:Anyway, it a pointless arguement because no one else cares, and it is really just me nitpicking.
tbug

Postby tbug » 08 Dec 2008, 15:14

Lyinginbedmon wrote:Amulet of Health and Pounce do not work that way :P

A standard amulet of health wouldn't do that. Good catch. This particular one also acts as a periapt of health though.

As for pounce, the Pathfinder beta rules aren't finalized, and for our house rules we're allowing partial charges on the surprise round. That would allow for the claw, claw, wing, wing, bite, tail slap, tentacle, and tentacle attacks. Presumably the gold shower was a special effect of his appearance. The breathing wouldn't be permitted by pounce, but clearly Jer was doing a bunch of custom stuff with his mummy dragon; we assumed he'd just changed the attack to be a swift action or something.

I still say we should have been allowed a saving throw.
Brightmorn

Postby Brightmorn » 08 Dec 2008, 15:14

Can we argue about arguing now? So we can come full circle? :D

Return to “commodoreHUSTLE”