Hanging

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 19 Jan 2009, 22:03

Closeness to HUSTLE aside, I think the ball kick wouldn't have been as funny because comedy is about the unexpected, and it (clearly) was far too expected a conclusion.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 19 Jan 2009, 22:14

Question though.

Was it only expected because we all loved watching Matt get his junk janked? Or was it genuinely predictable? I can't say, having seen the cHustle. This demands scientific study.

~Alja~
Frozengale

Postby Frozengale » 19 Jan 2009, 22:20

Graham wrote:Closeness to HUSTLE aside, I think the ball kick wouldn't have been as funny because comedy is about the unexpected, and it (clearly) was far too expected a conclusion.

The Therapist does the ball kick? Ball kicks both of them? Ok, sorry, I'll stop now, and yeah I guess it was a bit to expected.
If I ever come up with something witty or interesting I'm not going to display it in plain sight for you buffoons to steal away.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 19 Jan 2009, 22:27

Alja-Markir wrote:Was it only expected because we all loved watching Matt get his junk janked? Or was it genuinely predictable? I can't say, having seen the cHustle. This demands scientific study.

No, I'm saying that a ball kick here would have been expected, because "Daniel" says it earlier in the video.

Judging by how many people said "I was totally expecting it" I'm glad I didn't.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 19 Jan 2009, 22:32

Sorry Matt but Matt getting kicked in the balls by Graham was much more amusing than Brad getting kicked in the balls would have been.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Brad
First Video: Dunno. First one I was in was Zombiewalk

Postby Brad » 19 Jan 2009, 23:00

Lord Chrusher wrote:Sorry Matt but Matt getting kicked in the balls by Graham was much more amusing than Brad getting kicked in the balls would have been.

It was a safety concern more than anything. My chin has been known to defend its host in the past. I have no control over it.
All hail the great deku tree!
Twitter
Flickr
DontPanic

Postby DontPanic » 19 Jan 2009, 23:34

Brad getting kicked in the junk: public outcry
Matt getting kicked: Hilarity
I am going to go watch a Image
Tank_girl

Postby Tank_girl » 20 Jan 2009, 00:02

Using the scale of ha ha-lmao, im going to have to give this just a hearty giggle. I did not quite lol, but i still enjoyed it. Until the end. I felt wanting more. I felt like it just kinda ended, and not because of the story. It was a weird feeling.

Overall grade: B+
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 20 Jan 2009, 00:21

The story is too long to be a Rapidfire entry while compared to recent videos it seems a bit short. However if you take away the ad from last week's video, Mercenary Solutions and Hanging are roughly the same length.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 20 Jan 2009, 00:55

Maybe this is just me (it seems that way) but I don't consider length to be a factor.
...in comedy videos.

Seriously, if it had been longer it would have dragged and not been as good. Quick and snappy is just as good as long and involved.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 20 Jan 2009, 01:13

I'm with Graham here.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Balls, party of two...

Postby Evil Jim » 20 Jan 2009, 01:20

I, too, am with Graham here.

On the ball-kick issue, I laughed when Daniel said it because I recognized it as a reference to Commodore Hustle 4 but wasn't expecting it to follow through. Plus, the video progressed so quickly that if it didn't happen then it probably wasn't going to happen. Conversely, CH4 had so much going on with its multiple plot points that by the time it finally did happen to Matt I had forgotten all about it, making the gag that much funnier.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 20 Jan 2009, 02:21

Graham wrote:Maybe this is just me (it seems that way) but I don't consider length to be a factor.
...in comedy videos.

Seriously, if it had been longer it would have dragged and not been as good. Quick and snappy is just as good as long and involved.

I don't think that the video did anything wrong, its just that it takes a little time to get into the feel of LRR videos, and this one was over before I had a chance too. Maybe I should just watch LRR weekly, not monthly.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 20 Jan 2009, 02:27

Emperor Gum wrote:I don't think that the video did anything wrong, its just that it takes a little time to get into the feel of LRR videos, and this one was over before I had a chance too. Maybe I should just watch LRR weekly, not monthly.
Yes, yes you should.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 20 Jan 2009, 07:42

Graham wrote:
Alja-Markir wrote:Was it only expected because we all loved watching Matt get his junk janked? Or was it genuinely predictable? I can't say, having seen the cHustle. This demands scientific study.

No, I'm saying that a ball kick here would have been expected, because "Daniel" says it earlier in the video.

Judging by how many people said "I was totally expecting it" I'm glad I didn't.

Question is though, were all those people who were expecting it people who saw the cHustle? Had the cHustle not been fresh in their minds, would they have expected it? You as well Graham suffer the same problem, because you were intimately involved in the making of the videos, so what seems expected to you might not be expected by someone who's never seen your work.

That said, however, upon repeated viewings the too slow is kinda growing on me. It's the reactions afterwards that clinch it, with Mike patting Brad's arm gently but clearly not very interestedly.

~Alja~

Addendum: To Tim, yes, I know the one-trick-pony thing. The (silly) point was tricks and junk kicks aren't equatable, because the first is a category of other actions while the second is a static occurance. *grins*
Brad
First Video: Dunno. First one I was in was Zombiewalk

Postby Brad » 20 Jan 2009, 10:11

Sable wrote:Edit: Also, is that house built for midgets? I mean, I know you grow 'em big in Canadia (something in the water?), but those ceilings looked very low.

Hobbits and Hobbit-Assassins.

No, Kathleen lives in a very nice igloo, but as it is an igloo, low ceilings.

GiggleLoop wrote:The rapist scene was awesome - most straight face I ever saw from someone talking about "some sweet piece of ass"...

!
All hail the great deku tree!

Twitter

Flickr

Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 20 Jan 2009, 10:36

The therapist scene, the THErapist scene!
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Schmiddy

Postby Schmiddy » 20 Jan 2009, 11:52

This had a very.. Kevin Smith.. vibe to it. (In a very good way) Anybody else feel that?
--**--Heck is where people go who dont believe in Gosh--**--
Shandi
First Video: The Secret Life of Toast

Sea bear anime

Postby Shandi » 20 Jan 2009, 12:01

I just noticed that is a Miga stuffy. Please don't throw it at me. I fear the otaku-sizing of Canadian culture.
This is why I'm LOL!
-Shandi
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 20 Jan 2009, 12:44

Lyinginbedmon wrote:
Emperor Gum wrote:I don't think that the video did anything wrong, its just that it takes a little time to get into the feel of LRR videos, and this one was over before I had a chance too. Maybe I should just watch LRR weekly, not monthly.
Yes, yes you should.

Huh...damnit...
shugotenchi

Postby shugotenchi » 20 Jan 2009, 13:31

What did we learn this week?

* "Kick you in the junk" is apparently like Robitussin; it fixes everything.

* Bro's have a "sweet ass radar" that temporarily suppresses the other "Laws of Brobotics."

* Hank has a pool boy. Don't think about that too much.

* No, seriously. Don't.

* Cowboy boots are the exception to the "no white after labour day" rule.

* Relationship counselors really specialize, don't they?

* You're still thinking about the pool boy, aren't you? Fine. Don't say I didn't warn you. On your own head be it.
"We did not choose to become the guardians, but there is no one else."
Antz_the_Great

Postby Antz_the_Great » 20 Jan 2009, 14:42

In the picture for the video it looks like Graham is concentrating really hard in an attempt to shoot laser beams out of his eyes.
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 20 Jan 2009, 15:11

Lyinginbedmon wrote:
Jillers wrote:It was a bit Python-esque, in that there are two normal, but completely unrelated situations being crammed together, and no one, in the established universe, thinks it's weird.
Considering events in the last three videos could well be established as "abnormal" (Which I believe is what you were going for, rather than "normal"), I'm not sure there's much reason for them to think of it as wierd.

cH1: Morgan's date & Matt's leaving because of laundry costs (Fact from reality on the latter too)
cH2: DotA, Paul's science, and Matt's 360 deaths
cH3: Line dancing, NesBox

No, I mean that two situations which are normal in this universe (a guy being mad at being dissed as it were, and couples' counseling) are being made abnormal (by the two guys going to couples' counseling because one left the other hanging); it is seen as normal within the established universe - not that the universe, in which the videos take place, would see it as weird, but that people, from the real world would see it as abnormal.
...you know how having an argument is completely normal, and going to an office for a service is also completely normal, but going to an office to have an argument is abnormal (to us) but normal to the world it's taking place in.

tl;dr
It's not that THEY think it's weird, WE think it's weird, and the comedy comes from THEM thinking it's perfectly normal.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
EchoFox

Postby EchoFox » 20 Jan 2009, 16:52

Is it me, or in this video was 'Trevor' extremely reminiscent of Dr. Wilson from 'House'?
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 20 Jan 2009, 17:46

EchoFox wrote:Is it me, or in this video was 'Trevor' extremely reminiscent of Dr. Wilson from 'House'?
I don't see the connection :?

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”