Even newer, betterer ads!

News and Announcements about LoadingReadyRun
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Even newer, betterer ads!

Postby Paul » 18 Feb 2009, 19:38

Since last Summer, LRR has been experimenting with advertising on the site sidebar and on the forums with AdBrite. As you all probably know, it has been a very mixed bag and on the whole, fairly disappointing. The ads that AdBrite provides are just not very relevant to our content, are uninteresting to our user base (eg. you guys), and pay practically nothing.

Well, NO LONGER!

Welcome to LRRvertising 2.0, powered by the awesome folks over at Giant Realm! The Giant Realm ad network is geared specifically towards gaming and other geeky pursuits and should therefore be serving up much more interesting/relevant ads.

Let us know what you think, or if there are any problems.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 18 Feb 2009, 19:43

Well, I like the LRR DVD and Shirt ads I've seen thus far, props to whomever made them. More at 11...or whenever I see a few of the new, non-LRR ads.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Postby Paul » 18 Feb 2009, 19:48

Giant Realm is based primarily in the US at the moment, so Canadians and other non-Americans will probably be seeing mostly in-house ads.
DmitriW
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby DmitriW » 18 Feb 2009, 21:30

Paul wrote:Giant Realm is based primarily in the US at the moment, so Canadians and other non-Americans will probably be seeing mostly in-house ads.

I'm a USAire, and I'm seeing only LRR and Kei-kon ads. Not a bad thing, just thought I'd drop a line about it.
Consider this signature a museum piece, since I love it and am unlikely to change it ever.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 18 Feb 2009, 21:32

The new ads are filtering in. I've seen a couple non-LRR ads, but admittedly very few.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 18 Feb 2009, 21:36

The new ads I have seen are for LRR stuff and 5 gum.
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 18 Feb 2009, 22:28

The ad bar is still on the right. Big images still conflict with the ad bar.

Remember that?
I can't think of a signature.
Canonfoder

Postby Canonfoder » 18 Feb 2009, 22:47

Not sure if it is something i just noticed or is a result of the ads but when in a window smaller than the width of the page (most noticeable with the width of the blog and forum pages) I get crazy Graphical errors in the upper right and right side of the screen. Its purely aesthetic but just noticed. Ads seem to be working fine I've gotten many of the non inhouse ads and no problems yet.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 18 Feb 2009, 23:00

CyberTractor wrote:The ad bar is still on the right. Big images still conflict with the ad bar.

Remember that?

That shouldn't be happening because the forum automatically resizes images to the correct width. Granted, if you choose to view them at full size, then yes it messes with the layout.

I'm not sure what you're describing but it sounds like a problem on your end.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 18 Feb 2009, 23:40

It's like a delicious meal for my eyes (which I get back.)

So far I'm only getting LRRvertisements. I'll let you know if anything outrages me.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 18 Feb 2009, 23:57

Master Gunner wrote:Well, I like the LRR DVD and Shirt ads I've seen thus far, props to whomever made them.

Thanks!
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 19 Feb 2009, 01:03

Harder, better, faster, stronger!

...ads
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Zack

Postby Zack » 19 Feb 2009, 05:24

Yeah, the LRR Stuff ads are great. Kudos to Graham. I love the background colours.

I've only seen LRR and Kei-kon, but I just logged in.

~Zack
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 19 Feb 2009, 12:08

I've seen an ad for "Fired Up!" on the main page, but we only just launched the service so I imagine we'll be getting more as we go.
Mercenary

Postby Mercenary » 19 Feb 2009, 22:55

Its a bit strange I click the link but it just opens up a new tab with nothing there and the tab name is "(Untitled)" without quotes.

Running Noscript with Firefox but NoScript is only blocking doubleclick.net... So is that whats not allowing me to view the ads?

On another note: KeiKon will there be live feed? XD
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!

Postby Master Gunner » 20 Feb 2009, 03:33

Graham wrote:I've seen an ad for "Fired Up!" on the main page, but we only just launched the service so I imagine we'll be getting more as we go.

I just saw that too. Hopefully more will be rolled out shortly.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 20 Feb 2009, 21:38

Graham wrote:Granted, if you choose to view them at full size, then yes it messes with the layout.

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. Is it that hard to at least make it an option to have the bar on the left, or should I just stop bringing it up?
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 20 Feb 2009, 21:49

CyberTractor wrote:
Graham wrote:Granted, if you choose to view them at full size, then yes it messes with the layout.

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. Is it that hard to at least make it an option to have the bar on the left, or should I just stop bringing it up?

Well, the bar is staying on the right, so I guess so.

I understand why you have a problem with it, I do... but we've done all we can to make the forum look its best (by doing things like the auto-resize filter), so it's those photos aren't meant to be viewed at full size.

Essentially you're complaining because french fries hurt when you stick them up your nose. You're supposed to eat them.

The alternative is disabling the ability to view them at original size, which isn't a solution.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 21 Feb 2009, 00:02

Graham wrote:
CyberTractor wrote:

Well, the bar is staying on the right, so I guess so.

I understand why you have a problem with it, I do... but we've done all we can to make the forum look its best (by doing things like the auto-resize filter), so it's those photos aren't meant to be viewed at full size.

I think what he's saying is that the re-sized ones look good, but they're essentially thumbnails. When you clicky to make the thumbnail bigger, the ads interfere.

Unless that's what you're understanding and are saying just doesn't matter, in which case that doesn't make sense to me, but it's entirely your call.
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
Zack

Postby Zack » 21 Feb 2009, 07:35

The solution to that is just right click and click "Open image in new tab".

~Zack
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 21 Feb 2009, 08:33

Graham wrote:Essentially you're complaining because french fries hurt when you stick them up your nose. You're supposed to eat them.

I love it when people make an analogy that has absolutely no resemblance to what was being discussed as if it was supposed to be a conversation ender. Its the equivalent of a big "Fuck you."

Thanks.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 21 Feb 2009, 08:38

maybe, by way of solution, the expanded image could be made to push the ad further to the right, or to overlap the ad?

I'm not sure how this could be implemented.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 21 Feb 2009, 09:30

CyberTractor wrote:
Graham wrote:Essentially you're complaining because french fries hurt when you stick them up your nose. You're supposed to eat them.

I love it when people make an analogy that has absolutely no resemblance to what was being discussed as if it was supposed to be a conversation ender. Its the equivalent of a big "Fuck you."

I'm responding to this in a PM to avoid this thread getting off-track.
Joshua
First Video: Dont remember

Postby Joshua » 22 Feb 2009, 17:55

I'm digging the ads, saw one for a razor, I need to get one of those.

Still seeing a lot of LRR ads, thanks for giving so much care to the issue.
We feel free when we escape--even if it be but from the frying pan into the fire.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 23 Feb 2009, 17:05

Why are we (or at least why am I) still seeing Kei Kon ads even thought the screening was yesterday?
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.

Return to “Site News”