Doritos Ads

For videos that aren't... y'know... "real". Whatever Thing, Phailhaüs, etc.
Acropolis

Postby Acropolis » 17 Mar 2009, 13:29

His_Ryanness wrote:Noticed a video similar to KaBLAM: http://doritosguru.ca/sharpimpact/Dorit ... p%20Impact

I think KaBLAM executes it better though.

I agree. The fact that they had to explain the "flavor punch to the face" made me feel as if they weren't confident in their joke, whereas KaBLAM just let's the joke speak for itself.
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 17 Mar 2009, 13:37

I imagine that all the other participants are going through and systematically marking every other video down. I liked KaBlam best.
Evisr

Postby Evisr » 17 Mar 2009, 13:53

Somehow I'm not surprised that one of the popular videos on the site (sorry don't have link right at this moment) that its just a girl (That is really hot) who is naked but has a Doritos bra and panties. Then the video completely goes off the back end and has a guy doing the same thing AND has an older person hit on him.

Oh internets.
Yngvar

Postby Yngvar » 17 Mar 2009, 14:35

I really enjoyed KaBLAM. Although the hand looks fake, the reactions were convincing. :]
Kdz
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby Kdz » 17 Mar 2009, 14:48

I, too, missed a nice 'thump' sound from Overload. But I like them both quite a lot. Voted!
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 17 Mar 2009, 16:17

voted, obviously.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 17 Mar 2009, 16:19

I tried to vote with my facebook info, and all it took was my real name. It still wanted all kinds of other info I was unwilling to provide. I'm surprised it wasn't asking for blood and stool samples. Perhaps it hasn't heard that facebook backed off from it's draconian EULA. In any case, I'll support LRR whenever I can, but not to the point that I'll give Doritos enough info to identity theft me.

Seriously, you don't need my billing address to let me vote in a damn poll.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 17 Mar 2009, 16:23

Yaxley wrote:Seriously, you don't need my billing address to let me vote in a damn poll.

When we just signed up for their site (not through Facebook) all it asked for name and email address.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 17 Mar 2009, 16:57

What kind of new content can we expect for C$2000?
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 17 Mar 2009, 16:59

Lyinginbedmon wrote:What kind of new content can we expect for C$2000?

$25,000.

And, I don't know. But it'll probably look shinier. I guess?
Don't hold me to that.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 17 Mar 2009, 17:04

Graham wrote:
Yaxley wrote:Seriously, you don't need my billing address to let me vote in a damn poll.

When we just signed up for their site (not through Facebook) all it asked for name and email address.

Yeah, I don't know how you did it, but all I had to provide was name, username, email, and password.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 17 Mar 2009, 20:32

Overload seems to be a much more marketable name for a chip flavor than KaBLAM, but that's only my opinion. I liked Overload better and I think it would clean up pretty well with national marketing dollars behind it.

I'm surprised they're supposedly letting the internet voting decide amongst the top 5. It's no surprise they're choosing what's in the top 5 given the joke that is Internet rating. I guess they're hoping there's enough legitimate voting in the finals that there's actually a winner and not a "I have the most friends" contest.
Frozengale

Postby Frozengale » 17 Mar 2009, 20:38

really liked Overload and how James see's Graham spazzing out and still takes them.

The Kablam one though, it was funny, but not extremely and it seems like something that has probably been done before or will be done again and again for this contest.
If I ever come up with something witty or interesting I'm not going to display it in plain sight for you buffoons to steal away.
Yukikaze

Postby Yukikaze » 17 Mar 2009, 21:27

Standard LRR quality. Which is to say, ROCKIN' AWESOME!

The only other video I've seen so far that even comes close is the Sharp Impact one, which looks like an actual commercial. KaBLAM made me laugh harder, though, which is the important thing. Besides that one, all of the non-LRR entries I've seen SUCK!
Bakey

Postby Bakey » 17 Mar 2009, 22:03

Awesome videos, I voted for both of them.

I love the flavor induced seizure in the first one nice use of effects and Grahams shaking was ridiculously amusing.
His_Ryanness
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming (I think)

Postby His_Ryanness » 17 Mar 2009, 23:20

They've been doing pretty well over the last hour or so!
This signature has been designed by neuroscientists to render you sterile upon reading.
GTF234

Postby GTF234 » 17 Mar 2009, 23:37

Overload was my preferred of the two.

KaBLAM's The consumer being physically hit while eating the product is a really overused gag (even Tang did it for a while), so while it's executed here with the typical high class LRR quality, it does little to excite me. Browsing through the other entries, you can see many also went down this road. The one noted in this thread is pretty much on par with KaBLAM. Same sort of effect and execution, but the other weak in that you can barely hear them and they had to explain their joke as a catchphrase. That should be unnecessary in my eyes because it's such an overused sight gag and a very self explanatory one too.

Overload's also a traditional gimmick, but it's execution charms me. And what does that is mainly Graham's performance on that. The reaction is so over the top that it's hilarious. Others here note the lack of a thud from the fall, and while I admit I too was expecting it, I find it comical there wasn't one in the end.

Signed up and voted for both anyway, but Overload was definitely the better in my opinion
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 18 Mar 2009, 01:20

I really like both vids but Overload was my favourite. Still, I'm unsure how Frito Lay will perceive these. In one, opening a bag of Doritos gives you a punch in the face. In the other, eating them apparently induces a seizure. Now, I certainly understand the subtlety in implied taste overload or the sudden jolt to the mouth of inherent yumminess, but will the marketing department give potential customers the benefit of a doubt for understanding these as well?

Regardless, I certainly hope LRR wins out on this & I'll create a disposable account to help vote when I am less likely to collapse of fatigue. Good luck!
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 18 Mar 2009, 01:45

As odd as being punched or tripping out might seem, they do fit with Doritos' general marketing.
Lawman
First Video: 3 PS3s

Postby Lawman » 18 Mar 2009, 02:46

Love the two videos. I must say that Overload is probably one of the only adverts I've seen that begins in medias res.

Personally I'd love to see more of your ads.
Sir_Substance

Postby Sir_Substance » 18 Mar 2009, 02:57

i would vote for you guys, i especially love the kablam one. but that site is *so* bloated, its taking about 2 minutes to load each page, i simply cant navigate the doritos site.

edit: if someone could direct-link me to the sign up page and the log in page, ill struggle through it.
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 18 Mar 2009, 03:04

Graham wrote:When we just signed up for their site (not through Facebook) all it asked for name and email address.

It turns out that reading comprehension skills help, and I totally lacked them last night. I just signed up without linking my Facebook account and it worked fine. But once my account was created, it had my Facebook picture there anyway. I'm assuming it's because I used the same e-mail address, but still, kind of odd.

Anyway, votes have been cast.
Last edited by Yaxley on 18 Mar 2009, 03:53, edited 1 time in total.
spartanhelmet

Postby spartanhelmet » 18 Mar 2009, 03:17

Crazy good.

I was just heading over here to the forums, and I saw the vids. They are now STUCK IN MY HEAD, dammit.

So, what are you going to do with the monies... get the LRR bus running for the next DB?
"LRR för 4 av 5 toasts"
Lawman
First Video: 3 PS3s

Postby Lawman » 18 Mar 2009, 05:36

Sir_Substance wrote:i would vote for you guys, i especially love the kablam one. but that site is *so* bloated, its taking about 2 minutes to load each page, i simply cant navigate the doritos site.

edit: if someone could direct-link me to the sign up page and the log in page, ill struggle through it.

You could try disabling images. Made the pages load faster but I don't know if it'll make them usable.
LS

Postby LS » 18 Mar 2009, 09:50

Graham wrote:
Lyinginbedmon wrote:What kind of new content can we expect for C$2000?

$25,000.

And, I don't know. But it'll probably look shinier. I guess?
Don't hold me to that.

If you guys win, I demand a video where everything is wrapped in tin foil.

Everything.
Fancy Morgan: the Matt lover.

Return to “Bonus Video”