Canadians this is going to piss you off.

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
James
LRR Crew

Canadians this is going to piss you off.

Postby James » 23 Mar 2009, 08:23

And to all the American fans out there please go blow up Fox news :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcJn5XlbSFk

Please send emails to [email protected]

I know I already did.
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 23 Mar 2009, 08:28

They're probably still sore that the longest confirmed sniper kill is currently held by a Canadian who was, at the time, serving in Afghanistan.
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 23 Mar 2009, 08:41

Well, I am ashamed... Seriously, those people are assholes.
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
Alex Steacy
First Video: Beats me! No seriously Graham hits me.

Postby Alex Steacy » 23 Mar 2009, 08:42

I realize these guys are supposed to be at least partially satirists or even comedians...

But I really want to smack them in the ribs with a crowbar and pour drain opener down their stupid yowling noiseholes.

I am just seething with rage, I couldn't even finish it. Maybe I'll form a coherent rebuttal when I'm not totally livid.
Frozengale

Postby Frozengale » 23 Mar 2009, 08:50

I didn't get it, was it supposed to be funny : /
If I ever come up with something witty or interesting I'm not going to display it in plain sight for you buffoons to steal away.
Nebulous

Postby Nebulous » 23 Mar 2009, 09:05

After the guy compared the US as the "Most powerful country in the Universe" I turned it off. This is the very reason that I am not a proud US citizen..I apologize for this.

(I didn't get to finish reading your e-mail =( )
Kdz
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby Kdz » 23 Mar 2009, 09:06

As Alex pointed out, the point of Red Eye is basically to make fun of the news. They're kinda shooting for a cross between The Daily Show and Crossfire, but it doesn't really come across.

Now, I certainly agree that plenty of what they said was out of line. But let's remember that these are not the people Americans turn to for news. It's just commentary intended to be humorous. Insensitive, bullheaded, jingoistic commentary, yes, but commentary nonetheless.
Red Charlie

Postby Red Charlie » 23 Mar 2009, 09:07

Wow seriously. Fox news are total jerks for allowing this to broadcast.
It was really too big:

I give you this instead

goat

Postby goat » 23 Mar 2009, 09:08

Kdz wrote:As Alex pointed out, the point of Red Eye is basically to make fun of the news. They're kinda shooting for a cross between The Daily Show and Crossfire, but it doesn't really come across.

Now, I certainly agree that plenty of what they said was out of line. But let's remember that these are not the people Americans turn to for news. It's just commentary intended to be humorous. Insensitive, bullheaded, jingoistic commentary, yes, but commentary nonetheless.

This. Exactly this.
MrDys

Postby MrDys » 23 Mar 2009, 09:09

Edited.
Last edited by MrDys on 23 Mar 2009, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 23 Mar 2009, 09:12

Even if this is intended as satire, this is just totally tasteless and VERY rude towards the families of all Canadian soldiers who lost their lives in combat.

But somehow this seems to be the normal way the American Armed forces look at the military of other country's. Their way is always the only way, and only their way is the right way :(
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Kevco
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Kevco » 23 Mar 2009, 09:20

God, I hate cable news networks. Fox, CNN, they're all the same. But yeah, that guy was an asshole. Not a funny one either.
Kdz
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby Kdz » 23 Mar 2009, 09:23

Dutch guy wrote:Even if this is intended as satire, this is just totally tasteless and VERY rude towards the families of all Canadian soldiers who lost their lives in combat.

But somehow this seems to be the normal way the American Armed forces look at the military of other country's. Their way is always the only way, and only their way is the right way :(

I agree it was tasteless and uncalled for.

Now, I know the American military likes to crack jokes about other militarys(militaries?), but hell, they crack jokes about each other's branches(their marching cadences, depending on the branch, often slam the othe branches, amongst other things). I'm not aware of anyone on this particular video having an association with the military, is the reason I bring it up.
James
LRR Crew

Postby James » 23 Mar 2009, 09:30

I fully understood going in that it wasn't a "news show" however when you are broadcasting on a MAJOR NEWS NETWORK I would appreciate it if they didn't completely discredit all the good that the Canadian Military and Police for that matter do on a daily basis.

When in a situation (being on National TV) there are certain lines that should be drawn when doing a "comedy" peice about an entire countries involvement in war. If this had been on the comedy channel I wouldn't be mad in even the slightest. I would just laugh it off and go about my day. But this whole idea of major news networks trying to leech off the success of Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert by coming up with there own "Funny news show" is stupid. Stick to what you know CNN, MSNBC, FOX News and thats scaring the living shit out of everybody.
Alex Steacy

Postby Alex Steacy » 23 Mar 2009, 09:54

Doug Benson wrote:
Ruddy Ruddy wrote:
So, here's a question for Doug: Did you know that the piece you did with Greg Gutfield on Red Eye bashing the Canadian military was broadcast the same day that four Canadian soldiers died in Afghanistan -- the latest in a long series -- and that your ignorant, jingoistic asshattery has pretty much just cost you your entire Canadian fanbase?

first of all, RED EYE, while on Fox News, is a comedy show, not a news show (whether or not you think it's funny is another matter). they did a piece on an article (which i was given before the taping) about Canada wanting to sit out of Afghanistan for a year to regroup. as the comedian on the panel (and a dumb stoner one at that), i made jokes about not knowing that Canada was in the war, and that i thought Canada was the place to go if you didn't want to fight. i did not know that four Canadian soldiers died that day, and did not mean to make fun of their efforts or their deaths. secondly, i love Canada, and i hope that my fan base there (which is probably only a hundred strong) would understand that i was kidding and that i'd never make those jokes if i had known of the losses suffered by the country that very day.

Sure is insincere retractions around here.

"Hey guys, we were just kidding around, I didn't think Canuck soldiers were getting or killed in that WAR ZONE they're in now. I totally love Canada! Also your fanbase isn't all that big anyway so uh fuck you anyway."

Anyone else want to feed this guy into a woodchipper with a slow timing gear?
Beta-guy

Postby Beta-guy » 23 Mar 2009, 10:09

I honestly don't wish to offend Americans with this post.

Canada isn't run by the military industrial complex, and honestly if the US had done it's job in Afghanistan rather then attacking Iraq over WMD that so far haven't been found, we'd probably be already back home, and Osama would be captured.

I can't even begin to tell Fox news how screwed up their views are on Canada, for any Americans reading this, Canada is probably like a less violent version of your northern states. our 'mounties' drive cars it's not the 1800's anymore though some ride horses for show. Our Mounties wear uniforms just like the American police, they only wear the red uniform for show and parade. Our police are probably just like American cops in any way you can imagine. it can get cold in Canada, but it can also get hot, Canadians generally don't live in igloos. lol

given the costs of the Iraq war + the Afghanistan war I honestly don't think the US can wage war with Canada, given how the US economy is. while the Canadian economy is suffering, I think we have things better up here in terms of the economy.

Also Americans rely on Canada as we are the buffer zone between the US and Russia. TBH I think Americans should be outraged by this kind of rhetoric as well because it shows a reckless mentality to sit there tearing a strip off your allies. Finally I don't know where they got this 'breather' idea last I heard Canada was going END their activies in Afghanistan in 2011. But we will still have a standing army.
Citin

Postby Citin » 23 Mar 2009, 10:33

Beta-guy wrote:I honestly don't wish to offend Americans with this post.

Canada isn't run by the military industrial complex, and honestly if the US had done it's job in Afghanistan rather then attacking Iraq over WMD that so far haven't been found, we'd probably be already back home, and Osama would be captured.

I can't even begin to tell Fox news how screwed up their views are on Canada, for any Americans reading this, Canada is probably like a less violent version of your northern states. our 'mounties' drive cars it's not the 1800's anymore though some ride horses for show. Our Mounties wear uniforms just like the American police, they only wear the red uniform for show and parade. Our police are probably just like American cops in any way you can imagine. it can get cold in Canada, but it can also get hot, Canadians generally don't live in igloos. lol

given the costs of the Iraq war + the Afghanistan war I honestly don't think the US can wage war with Canada, given how the US economy is. while the Canadian economy is suffering, I think we have things better up here in terms of the economy.

Also Americans rely on Canada as we are the buffer zone between the US and Russia. TBH I think Americans should be outraged by this kind of rhetoric as well because it shows a reckless mentality to sit there tearing a strip off your allies. Finally I don't know where they got this 'breather' idea last I heard Canada was going END their activies in Afghanistan in 2011. But we will still have a standing army.

I wish the mounties just rode horses, I'd have liked to see them chase me down to give me a $230 ticket for a stop sign infraction if he was riding a horse...
"I'll be in Africa. If you need me just phone Africa, I told them to expect your call." - The Pointy Haired Boss
Alex Steacy

Postby Alex Steacy » 23 Mar 2009, 10:40

Citin wrote:I wish the mounties just rode horses, I'd have liked to see them chase me down to give me a $230 ticket for a stop sign infraction if he was riding a horse...

See, there's a perfect example of tasteful Canadian humor. That one post is better than their whole fucking segment.
His_Ryanness
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming (I think)

Postby His_Ryanness » 23 Mar 2009, 10:51

Fox - home of the pridefully ignorant. If they'd actually been funny I would have forgiven their poor representation of the facts, but they weren't, so... Go Fox?
This signature has been designed by neuroscientists to render you sterile upon reading.
Unclever title

Postby Unclever title » 23 Mar 2009, 11:06

Beta-guy wrote:I honestly don't wish to offend Americans with this post.

I disagree with you on a few points but I certainly take no offense.

Take heart! I too find this aggravating. Acting like a condescending jackass does not equal humor.

Condescending jackasses are only sometimes funny (depending on the scene and information) when they're smarter than everyone around them.

These guys didn't come off as such. They came off as idiots. Condescending idiots are just aggravating doubly so actually.

Idiocy + condescensing Jackassery = 2xAggravation.

This might, MIGHT have been more acceptable if there were a ridiculous laugh-track interspersed throughout cause then it would be further removed from reality. They really would have done better to make up a lot of information rather than lying on believable misinformation and stereotypes.

Stereotypes are fine when accompanied by outlandish exaggeration and straight up ridiculous falsehoods, such as interviewing "Canadian soldiers" about their take on the issue.
My train of thought is more like a roller coaster that has loop de loops and no safety bars.
I don't know if I'm tall enough to ride.
Ben

Postby Ben » 23 Mar 2009, 11:23

Alex Steacy wrote:Sure is insincere retractions around here.

"Hey guys, we were just kidding around, I didn't think Canuck soldiers were getting or killed in that WAR ZONE they're in now. I totally love Canada! Also your fanbase isn't all that big anyway so uh fuck you anyway."

Anyone else want to feed this guy into a woodchipper with a slow timing gear?

I can't take that guy seriously, if you watch "Super High Me" you'll know why. The fact that he was on the show was the only evidence that clip was a joke.

If you're going to do a show like that don't air it on a 'News' network, even if the network is classified as an entertainment network (I think I recall this from Outfoxed, couldn't find anywhere backing this up). If a network is trying to represent themselves as Fair & Balanced as a whole, then the network shouldn't allow things like this if they want to be taken seriously. Remove the little spinning Fox News logo from it and I wouldn't have as much of a problem. Colbert manages to act like a deusche bag without actually coming off as one, all I get from Greg Gutfeld is that he's full deusche.
Cureless_Poison
First Video: Fun with microwaves.

Postby Cureless_Poison » 23 Mar 2009, 11:35

And that is the reason why I hate America(ns).
Last edited by Cureless_Poison on 23 Mar 2009, 11:51, edited 2 times in total.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 23 Mar 2009, 11:36

He's just apologized;
http://www.cbc.ca/arts/tv/story/2009/03/23/redeye-soldiers-mocking.html

So... there's that. And, truth be told, more than I would expect from Faux News.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 23 Mar 2009, 11:53

Greg Gutfeld 'apologizing' wrote:However, I realize that my words may have been misunderstood. It was not my intent to disrespect the brave men, women and families of the Canadian military, and for that I apologize

Greg Gutfeld on Red Eye wrote:"Canada's Lieutennant General Andrew Leslie... An unusual name for am man... Leslie..."

Greg Gutfeld on Red Eye wrote:"Meaning, the Canadian military wants to take a breather to do some yoga, paint landscapes, run on the beach in gorgeous white Capri pants,"

Greg Gutfeld on Red Eye wrote:"Isn't this the perfet time to invade this ridiculous country? They have. no. army."

Greg Gutfeld on Red Eye wrote:"Would Canada be able to get away with this if they didn't share a border with the most powerful country in the universe?"

Greg Gutfeld on Red Eye wrote:"Aren't they just doing what most of Europe is doing and relying on the US in case anything goes wrong?"

Greg Gutfeld on Red Eye wrote:"Should we be worried about unguarded borders here, or was their military always totally ineffective anyway and this was always a problem?"

No. CLEARLY no disrespect intended. DEFINITELY a misunderstanding.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Seraphroy
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Seraphroy » 23 Mar 2009, 11:56

I won't consider it an apology until I see him reply with "I'm just an annoying prick who enjoys belittling one of our major allies for 5 minutes straight", instead of going "it was supposed to be funny guys".

Return to “General Discussion”