Canadians this is going to piss you off.

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 23 Mar 2009, 11:59

Isn't all of fox news considered satire?
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 23 Mar 2009, 12:00

Evil Jim wrote:Isn't all of fox news considered satire?

satire implies wit and intelligence.

I'd accept "Fox News is a joke" though.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Terin

Postby Terin » 23 Mar 2009, 12:04

The attitude that rubbed off on me from the video was far too smug and cocky to resemble anything other than jackassery from those guys.
Ben

Postby Ben » 23 Mar 2009, 12:12

Come to think of it, I could totally hear those words coming out of Colbert's mouth. The big difference is context. 'News' network vs Comedy network. Colbert has a history he's built up in our minds so that nothing he says can really be taken that seriously. If you take a look at some other clips from Red Eye, you can see that they're -trying- to be funny, the problem is that they really aren't (not to me at least). Red Eye is to Colbert what Kids News is to CBC.
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 23 Mar 2009, 12:41

No, the problem is that Colbert is a gifted, intelligent comedian, who knows how to take an overblown stereotype and exaggerate it just enough so that it becomes a caricature of itself.

These guys are the equivalent of "Yeah? Well so's your FACE!"
Keith K
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Keith K » 23 Mar 2009, 12:50

Wow. I am offended.

They are aware, that we didn't start the war in Afghanistan, right? They know we're there, doing their work, right?
Alex Steacy
First Video: Beats me! No seriously Graham hits me.

Postby Alex Steacy » 23 Mar 2009, 13:01

They.

Should.

Make.

Them.

ENLIST.

I would fully forgive their misdeeds if they were willing to get their asses shot at for a tour. Truthfully.
Shandi
First Video: The Secret Life of Toast

Postby Shandi » 23 Mar 2009, 13:05

People who believe the U.S. military makes it a superior country have a very selective memory of history. Previously, the U.S. sat on their laurels until the last minute and then claimed victory. I also distinctly remember the Whitehouse having been rebuilt.

But none of this matters. What worries me is the U.S. company buying out Petro Canada.
This is why I'm LOL!
-Shandi
Cureless_Poison
First Video: Fun with microwaves.

Postby Cureless_Poison » 23 Mar 2009, 13:42

-Snip
Last edited by Cureless_Poison on 23 Mar 2009, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.
Cherry

Postby Cherry » 23 Mar 2009, 13:47

Well, they apologized for the tasteless humor, but somehow I get the feeling it was the kind of apology that involves crossing your fingers behind your back and putting on the cutest innocent tone you can.

Really, what a stupid thing to mock. At least The Daily Show and the Colbert Report actually knock on things worth knocking on, exaggerated stereotypes and idiocy. This is just... what? Why is it considered funny to say that the soldiers need a break for "manicures and pedicures"?
The strong survive, lovers strive, and the thoughtful ones get out alive.

Look. All I'm saying is that she doesn't not look like a whore.
Seraphroy
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Seraphroy » 23 Mar 2009, 13:49

Cherry wrote:Well, they apologized for the tasteless humor, but somehow I get the feeling it was the kind of apology that involves crossing your fingers behind your back and putting on the cutest innocent tone you can.

Really, what a stupid thing to mock. At least The Daily Show and the Colbert Report actually knock on things worth knocking on, exaggerated stereotypes and idiocy. This is just... what? Why is it considered funny to say that the soldiers need a break for "manicures and pedicures"?

Even if they did knock on us taking a year hiatus from the war, they'd at least have made it tasteful, which is more than I can say for this.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 23 Mar 2009, 14:06

Also, um, doesn't every military take some time off after completing lengthy and involved engagements? You know, let people go home, re-organize and re-deploy the remaining forces to peace-time activities, re-stock the armouries, repair the mechanized and air forces?

You don't just go from one major conflict to another unless you have the resources to constantly replace your military, of which few countries have, and even then you're going to need to stop eventually or things will start breaking down faster than you can replace them.

Also, I've heard that our regular forces are equivalent in training and effectiveness to some US special-forces. So ha.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Keith K
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Keith K » 23 Mar 2009, 14:13

Fox host 'apologizes' for mocking of Canadian Forces

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/tv/story/2009/03/23/redeye-soldiers-mocking.html
Last edited by Keith K on 23 Mar 2009, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.
Cherry

Postby Cherry » 23 Mar 2009, 14:16

Keith K wrote:Fox host apologizes for mocking of Canadian Forces

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/tv/story/2009/03/23/redeye-soldiers-mocking.html
Again, it's obviously not the real deal as far as apologies go. More of a "Okay jeez we're sorry quit giving us shit." apology.
The strong survive, lovers strive, and the thoughtful ones get out alive.

Look. All I'm saying is that she doesn't not look like a whore.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 23 Mar 2009, 14:18

Greg Gutfeld wrote:We're sorry you couldn't take a joke"

-m

I am not angry at you.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 23 Mar 2009, 14:32

Master Gunner wrote:Also, I've heard that our regular forces are equivalent in training and effectiveness to some US special-forces. So ha.

Depends on your definition of 'special forces' but yes, generally soldiers, sailors, and airmen of the CF are amongst the highest-trained in the world. CF pilots in now almost-antiquated CF-18s consistently finish first or second only to the Israeli Air Force in international dogfight competitions. Old clunker diesel-electric subs of the Canadian Navy have simulated kills on Nimitz-class nuclear-powered aircraft carriers of the US Navy. Soldiers - especially infantry - consistently best their American allies in force-on-force encounters during exercises.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 23 Mar 2009, 14:40

My favorite story of this type was told to me by a member of the canadian forces who was giving a presentation on reconnaissance technology employed by the military in my technology class, was that in a series of joint exercises between the canadian military, the british and the Navy SEALs was that in a series of ten attempted beach landings by the SEAL team, a Canadian recon team alerted the beach forces and had a spotlight on the boat before they hit the beach in 9 of the trials, and as they were hopping out of the boat on the tenth. The seals didn't make a single successful landing.

Again, this is like third hand, and about 10 years old, but it stuck with me.

-m

I am not angry at you.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 23 Mar 2009, 14:48

HAHAHAHA DIS GREG GUTFELD IS FUNNY LEIK CANCER YOO GUIS!!!!11!!!

Seriously, if everyone that thinks like him or finds him funny want to go ahead and die in a fire I'll be over here getting the party started. Bring some booze guys.
Brad
First Video: Dunno. First one I was in was Zombiewalk

Postby Brad » 23 Mar 2009, 15:48

There is no reason to be offended by those who don't know any better. If your neighbor's dog pisses on your car, sure you might not like the dog too much at that moment, but hey, it's a dog, what does it know? You might be upset at the owner, but he wasn't the one doing the pissing.

See, Fox news is like that dog, which I am going to call a cocker spaniel for symmetry: Forget being below human levels of intelligence, it is retarded by dog standards. It didn't choose to be a cocker spaniel, heck, who would? But since it is one, it is going to do what comes naturally, and that includes pissing itself, rolling in dead animal and getting lost on a flight of stairs.

Lets be clear now, those people aren't Americans. I've met Americans, and they are by and large a caring, intelligent population that even when they behave in ways I may not always agree with, they do it because in their hearts they feel it will bring about good in the world. No, those people weren't Americans. They were the human equivalent of cocker spaniels rolling in their own filth. Hey, they shook and got some on us, but they don't know any better.
All hail the great deku tree!
Twitter
Flickr
Zivlok

Postby Zivlok » 23 Mar 2009, 16:04

Really, I couldn't get much farther after they made fun of man's name because it was "Leslie"... his LAST name.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 23 Mar 2009, 16:10

I'd disagree with you, Brad, in that I believe that at some point, Fox News as a corporation made an active, conscious decision to appeal to the lowest common denominator. And, that they did so for the sake of their shareholders.

Smart business decision? Perhaps - likely, even. But don't think I'm not going to call them out for it.

I guess that would be like, in your example, if the cocker spaniel thought peeing on a car would make for good TV.
ChiUnit4evr
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby ChiUnit4evr » 23 Mar 2009, 16:31

I'm really not surprised by this...Fox news does this kind of thing all the time. Red Eye is particularly bad though, and in comparison to Red Eye, Bill O'Reily is a soft spoken, articulate, and rather moderate man. But to be honest, Fox news doesn't do anything that surprises me anymore, I expect them to be ignorant, racist assholes for views...And yes I do agree that they are the majority of the reason why much of America believes the same racist, ignorant beliefs. That's all there is to it.
Brad
First Video: Dunno. First one I was in was Zombiewalk

Postby Brad » 23 Mar 2009, 16:54

metcarfre wrote:I'd disagree with you, Brad, in that I believe that at some point, Fox News as a corporation made an active, conscious decision to appeal to the lowest common denominator. And, that they did so for the sake of their shareholders.

Smart business decision? Perhaps - likely, even. But don't think I'm not going to call them out for it.

I guess that would be like, in your example, if the cocker spaniel thought peeing on a car would make for good TV.

I appreciate your point of view Metcarfre, and perhaps they did make that a conscious decision, but I think they overshot America's lowest common denominator by a wide margin, or they themselves are their own target audience.

I believe a cocker spaniel peeing on a car on TV was once called "America's Funniest Home Videos" and now is called Youtube.
All hail the great deku tree!

Twitter

Flickr

Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 23 Mar 2009, 17:15

There are people who can intelligently, legitimately and humorously point out the failings and shortcomings of other people and nations/governments, and have the viewing public on their side either because of their wit, or because of the veracity of their statements.

This broadcaster just made fun of the Canadian general for having a name that is generally thought of as a feminine given name. Despite the fact that it's his surname.

Yeah, he doesn't get to hide behind any "I was just joking I didn't mean to offend" veils, because his jokes sucked.
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 23 Mar 2009, 17:23

Hes a PAID fucking troll.
Letters will just get him a promotion.
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*

Return to “General Discussion”