Omni-Lingual

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 30 Mar 2009, 14:57

Aw, I only know enough binary to ask for the bathroom...
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 30 Mar 2009, 15:06

This was a really good video that I really enjoyed.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 30 Mar 2009, 15:45

This is, by far, one of the most Pythonesque sketches in a long time. I loved it. Also, the editing was amazingly seamless and helped everything flow along - good jorbs all around!

Bork de bork bork, bork bork.
Ben

Postby Ben » 30 Mar 2009, 16:02

Matt wrote:
I'm not actually a brain surgeon, I just play one on TV!

-m

typecast for sure

-b
FlintPaper577

Postby FlintPaper577 » 30 Mar 2009, 16:07

That was the best video you guys have done in a while, and you've been on a decent bit of form! I completely cracked up at the patois! Also, Matt is very good at playing total dicks. The smirk on his face is gold.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 30 Mar 2009, 16:10

This vid really made me laugh my ass off. It really did

(Next time you want to get the dutch translation of something, send me a pm with what you want translated, I'll probably be able to make some sound files of the proper pronunciation for you or at least send you the proper text. This was somewhat understandable, but way off in correct pronunciation and translation. Kuddo's for trying though ! :P

For educational purposes: "When did you last renew it?" would correctly be translated as: "Wanneer heeft u hem voor het laatst vernieuwd? (Using the more respectful term for you (u) used for unknown adults, customers, etc)
What you came up with would translate back to English as "When was it recently renewed?)
Last edited by Dutch guy on 30 Mar 2009, 16:18, edited 2 times in total.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
goat

Postby goat » 30 Mar 2009, 16:14

I think I have a new favorite video.

Excellent work. The inclusion of Swedish Chef and the Jamaican Patois made my fucking life.

Bork bork bork.
Zack

Postby Zack » 30 Mar 2009, 16:22

Excellent.

~Zack
birdman911

Postby birdman911 » 30 Mar 2009, 17:21

I just wanna apologize to matt, for my eralier post, dont worry i do listen to the podcasts and i am well aware that you are not actully like that in real life, its just your character in LRRverse! I would have to agree with Mastegunner, and that was kinda the point i was trying to get across, sorry that it came out bad tho!
What you do does not define who you are, who you are defines what you do.
Over-analytical Nerd
First Video: Somebody Has to Change

Postby Over-analytical Nerd » 30 Mar 2009, 17:30

Tim wrote:Not to beat a dead horse, but I thought you were supposed to use the infinitive with avoir to indicate past tense, which is why I said "j'ai essayer." Why do you use essayé, instead?

Time for french 101:

It seems your source is wrong, as the infinitive does not refer to the past. The correct version is the past participle, which would be essayé (since er is generally replaced by é in this situation).

An equivalent would be I have tried. Try is the infinitive, whereas tried is the past participle. When using the past tense of try, the french past participle requires that the infinitive of the verb to have or to be is placed beforehand (depending on the verb), but you already knew that. The past participle is thus employed and as such, you get have tried. The equivalent is thus "J'ai essayé" (not to mention the fact that the past participle need to agree with the gender and quantity of the subject, which is something not employed in the English language).

Hope that helps! De rien (you're welcome)!
WNivek
First Video: Desert Bus For Hope #1

Postby WNivek » 30 Mar 2009, 17:31

I just noticed - the still image which you're using to represent the video on the main page...
1) It doesn't actually appear in the video (good idea actually, as it captures the feel of the video better than any actual frame would have)
2) For some reason, it reminds me of the Versus screen in a fighting game.

Evil customer vs. Multilingual Insurance Salesman.
Round 1. Fight! ... in dutch.

[Edit: whoops, seems I wasn't paying enough attention - it DOES appear in the vid, I just hadn't noticed it before.]
Smallpoxxer

Postby Smallpoxxer » 30 Mar 2009, 17:49

Over-analytical Nerd wrote:An equivalent would be I have tried. Try is the infinitive, whereas tried is the past participle.

Isn't the infinitive "to try"? I could be wrong as it has been awhile since I last spoke French.
If you can't laugh at yourself, just laugh at other people.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 30 Mar 2009, 17:56

Over-analytical Nerd wrote:
Tim wrote:Not to beat a dead horse, but I thought you were supposed to use the infinitive with avoir to indicate past tense, which is why I said "j'ai essayer." Why do you use essayé, instead?

Time for french 101:

It seems your source is wrong, as the infinitive does not refer to the past. The correct version is the past participle, which would be essayé (since er is generally replaced by é in this situation).

An equivalent would be I have tried. Try is the infinitive, whereas tried is the past participle. When using the past tense of try, the french past participle requires that the infinitive of the verb to have or to be is placed beforehand (depending on the verb), but you already knew that. The past participle is thus employed and as such, you get have tried. The equivalent is thus "J'ai essayé" (not to mention the fact that the past participle need to agree with the gender and quantity of the subject, which is something not employed in the English language).

That makes sense. But I wasn't trying to say "I have tried." I was trying to say "I tried." (That is, I was trying to use past tense, not past participle.)

Doesn't that change things slightly?
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Frozengale

Postby Frozengale » 30 Mar 2009, 18:07

:lol:

nuff said
If I ever come up with something witty or interesting I'm not going to display it in plain sight for you buffoons to steal away.
Flewellyn

Postby Flewellyn » 30 Mar 2009, 18:10

So, where'd you find the shooting space? It really looks like an insurance agency.
Over-analytical Nerd
First Video: Somebody Has to Change

Postby Over-analytical Nerd » 30 Mar 2009, 18:11

Tim wrote:
Over-analytical Nerd wrote:

Time for french 101:

That makes sense. But I wasn't trying to say "I have tried." I was trying to say "I tried." (That is, I was trying to use past tense, not past participle.)

Doesn't that change things slightly?

Not really, as a definitive past tense as such does not exist (or rather is not used) in French. The past participle is the default for referring to the past (what you're saying would be translated to "Je essayé", which doesn't work). It's something that is somewhat lost in translation.

CORRECTION: There is a tense referred to as "simple past", but is isn't as common and slightly more complex than the past participle

To Smallpoxxer: Yes, to try is technically the the infinitive in English. French does not employ the "to" in it's verbs. Yet another thing that ended up on the outside of it's hotel in it's bathrobe due to a fire (I think that was from the correct movie...).
theashigaru
First Video: The Con

Postby theashigaru » 30 Mar 2009, 19:08

Like many others have already said, this has been one of the best videos of late. The others have been good, but this was just superb in every facet! HI-Larious!
Is it safe?
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 30 Mar 2009, 19:54

ecocd wrote:I have to agree with Master Gunner that Matt plays a great classy asshole. That said, I think it's about time Matt writes, directs and stars in a video of him helping little old ladies across the street and getting kitty cats out of trees called, "Matt's Not An Asshole." At least that video thread shouldn't have people calling him an asshole.

Shouldn't. Probably would, but shouldn't. But honestly, Matt takes a lot of abuse, but he really does pull his own, and seeing as Matt and Graham are still alive after a year living together, perhaps he's a half-decent roommate (aside from the nerdrage, laundry and nudity of course).

Yes, I am basing the good roommate thing on the fact that Matt hasn't killed Graham and vice versa. So sue me.
LS

Postby LS » 30 Mar 2009, 20:14

Fancy Morgan is going to need two monocles in order to properly express how funny this skit was.
Fancy Morgan: the Matt lover.
losc

Postby losc » 30 Mar 2009, 20:18

I actually laughed out loud (notice how I didn't use an acronym, that means I'm telling the truth). Best video from you guys in a long time.

Also, should I feel bad for translating that binary, or for making an account just to tell everyone that I did?
WNivek
First Video: Desert Bus For Hope #1

Postby WNivek » 30 Mar 2009, 20:30

losc wrote:Also, should I feel bad for translating that binary, or for making an account just to tell everyone that I did?
You shouldn't feel bad at all - welcome to the forum!
DmitriW
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby DmitriW » 30 Mar 2009, 20:48

Graham, the Jamaican absolutely blew my mind. Holy shit.

Can we hear some more of that in the podcast?
Consider this signature a museum piece, since I love it and am unlikely to change it ever.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 30 Mar 2009, 21:13

DmitriW wrote:Graham, the Jamaican absolutely blew my mind. Holy shit.

I'll do my best to remember to get him to do some more of it. My mind was also blown.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
DmitriW
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby DmitriW » 30 Mar 2009, 22:17

Tim wrote:
DmitriW wrote:Graham, the Jamaican absolutely blew my mind. Holy shit.

I'll do my best to remember to get him to do some more of it. My mind was also blown.

Hooray!
Consider this signature a museum piece, since I love it and am unlikely to change it ever.
wilson_x1999
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wilson_x1999 » 30 Mar 2009, 22:30

That was awesome XD

Paul's Swedish chef was spot on!

Also, thanks Graham, now I really, REALLY want to hear Bob Marley ¬¬

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”