LRRcast for Ways to Survive the Recession -Official Thread

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

LRRcast for Ways to Survive the Recession -Official Thread

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 31 Mar 2009, 08:20

So this LRRcast has been up for a couple hours now and there's no thread, so...

I know it's been up that long because I had two classes between noticing and actually being able to listen to it, but already I can tell Jer edited this LRRcast. I wonder why that is... :P

EDIT BY GRAHAM:
Sometimes... Jer forgets to make threads for these things.
Might as well carry on in the same one, being as you're already talking about stuff.

Carry on.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
GHOVO
First Video: 1337. I think

Postby GHOVO » 31 Mar 2009, 08:25

Lying is taking over ... Run awaaay!
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 31 Mar 2009, 08:35

Just got to the vitriol of Matt:

Duuuude, that is harsh. The same guy? Wow.

I personally prefer Roscoe. Toast is cool and all, but he just doesn't bring the level of decorum to proceddings that Roscoe does.

David Bowie's package doesn't really bother me, I generally spent more time watching him rotate the stress balls in his hand than picturing the balls in the 'piece.
goat

Postby goat » 31 Mar 2009, 12:05

We haven't seen the toast in a while and it's very hard to argue against a plush duck. I have to give my support to Roscoe on this one.

I'm also going out on a limb here and saying that inverted Y is silly in every situation.

And because it was asked for, I'm going to refute Matt's physics (sorry Matt).

You shouldn't have to get the metal up to the temperature of the flame to ignite the lighter fluid. What ignition relies on is the fuel/oxygen ratio around the coin. So long as there is a sufficient mixture of fuel and oxygen in the air around the coin, it will ignite and (probably) cause enough heat to volatilize the rest of the lighter fluid.

Your problem was that you didn't have enough fluid on the coin to create the appropriate mixture of fuel and oxygen. This was solved by using a rudimentary wick to hold a large amount of fluid, which could create a sufficient combustion mixture.

Proof of concept: get a pan and squirt some fluid into it, throw a match at it.
Raine
First Video: underpantloons

Postby Raine » 31 Mar 2009, 12:27

One thing i noticed is the Canadian accent comes out in the cast, and not in the movies...

and "science" mat
"SCIENCE!" Morgen!
G+ <-- Its a link, yo!
Be Strong!
Be Pleasant.
Be Unwavering!
Be Smart.
Be Awesome!
Awareness! It was under ‘E’!
Kdz
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby Kdz » 31 Mar 2009, 14:19

Fun LRRcast. Hearing you guys talk about movies and DRM was interesting, but I've nothing to add there.

To anyone too lazy to check out the "Twouble with Twitter" video mentioned in the 'cast, it's here. Now, I don't use twitter, as it's something that I really couldn't take advantage of. I don't really do enough in a day to warrant its use, and I don't really care about the day-to-day of anyone else enough to follow it.

Actually, I just watched the video, and it kinda says everything for me. It's a more extreme version of how I feel about the whole thing, except with a comedic twist.
His_Ryanness
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming (I think)

Postby His_Ryanness » 31 Mar 2009, 15:13

I just heard that Matt hasn't watched the extended versions of LOTR and he TOTALLY should at least watch the extended Return of the King. Yes, it's ridiculously long (about 4 hours and 10 minutes I think), but it`s WAY better, and the theatrical version was already pretty awesome. In fact, some aspects of the plot are actually changed slightly by the new scenes (for the better).

My only problem with the extended versions is that there are a couple extra scenes in the Fellowship of the Ring towards the beginning that cause Bilbo to come off as a little creepy. But aside from that there`s a lot of cool stuff in the first two extended DVDs as well.
This signature has been designed by neuroscientists to render you sterile upon reading.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 31 Mar 2009, 15:25

His_Ryanness wrote:I just heard that Matt hasn't watched the extended versions of LOTR and he TOTALLY should at least watch the extended Return of the King. Yes, it's ridiculously long (about 4 hours and 10 minutes I think), but it`s WAY better, and the theatrical version was already pretty awesome. In fact, some aspects of the plot are actually changed slightly by the new scenes (for the better).

My only problem with the extended versions is that there are a couple extra scenes in the Fellowship of the Ring towards the beginning that cause Bilbo to come off as a little creepy. But aside from that there`s a lot of cool stuff in the first two extended DVDs as well.

I said I hadn't watched my copies of the DVD sets. i've totally seen all the extended editions a couple of times.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 31 Mar 2009, 15:29

Roscoe P. Jangles IV currently has 586 friends on Facebook. Toast, to the best of my knowledge, has none. Clearly Roscoe is more popular.

Come to think of it, if Facebook friends is the measure, Roscoe is more popular than Morgan.
Last edited by Yaxley on 31 Mar 2009, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
TeamKill
First Video: CH s01e04

Postby TeamKill » 31 Mar 2009, 15:29

Red Green Is or at least was HUGE in the US, mostly in the south, there used to be massive phone drives where a buttload of tv stations all worked together and tried to get enough donations to air the show. Also, all the extras on the movie they made were Americans, they travelled from far and wide to ontario to be part of the magic.
His_Ryanness
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming (I think)

Postby His_Ryanness » 31 Mar 2009, 15:30

Matt wrote:
His_Ryanness wrote:I just heard that Matt hasn't watched the extended versions of LOTR and he TOTALLY should at least watch the extended Return of the King. Yes, it's ridiculously long (about 4 hours and 10 minutes I think), but it`s WAY better, and the theatrical version was already pretty awesome. In fact, some aspects of the plot are actually changed slightly by the new scenes (for the better).

I said I hadn't watched my copies of the DVD sets. i've totally seen all the extended editions a couple of times.

-m

Yeah, that possibility occurred to me later on.
This signature has been designed by neuroscientists to render you sterile upon reading.
Kdz

Postby Kdz » 01 Apr 2009, 01:12

TeamKill wrote:Red Green Is or at least was HUGE in the US, mostly in the south, there used to be massive phone drives where a buttload of tv stations all worked together and tried to get enough donations to air the show. Also, all the extras on the movie they made were Americans, they travelled from far and wide to ontario to be part of the magic.

Yeah, it's been pretty massive down here at times. I still see it on PBS from time to time. Fun times.

Oh, and Kings of Leon: They've put out a few albums now. I believe the first release was an EP called Holy Roller Novacane that came in... 2003? Yeah, I just checked it. They got a lot of radio play in my area at the time, as they're kinda local. Sorta. And then they dropped off the map (as far as American media coverage goes) until the latest album. Weird.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 01 Apr 2009, 07:43

I've been with them since Aha shake Heatrbreak. Incidentally, one of the singles from that album showed up in Cloverfield.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 01 Apr 2009, 07:48

Matt wrote:I've been with them since Aha shake Heatrbreak. Incidentally, one of the singles from that album showed up in Cloverfield.

-m
When you're fleeing from a monster the size of a skyscraper covered in dog-sized parasites, you know you can make it through as long as you've got...Kings of Leon!

Kings of Leon, the perfect beat as Clover nibbles at your feet.
theonlyavalon

Postby theonlyavalon » 01 Apr 2009, 10:17

I haven't finished listening to the cast, but I just got to the part about movie adaptation and wanted to say something. I agree with Graham that Stardust is a good adaptation, but I would say that it really had to be. The book was terrible, I thought. I saw the movie, got the book (that's what I do if I like a movie or TV show that's based on a book), and read it in a day and was seriously disappointed. That's hardly ever the case, the books are usually way better than the adaptation, but I really think they took a not very good book and made it into a great movie.

That's all I wanted to say really. :)
"Think now: where would your good be if there were no evil and what would the world look like without shadows?"
--The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
Sarah
First Video: Sound Wars

Postby Sarah » 01 Apr 2009, 15:48

Between Roscoe and Toast, I'd have to say Roscoe. I'm a sucker for plush things. Also Toast strikes me as something of a bad role model, even if he (it?) is talented.

Red Green! I've been watching that for as long as I can remember. The quality dropped off somewhat in the last few seasons, but I still miss it. But better than carrying on long after it should have died, I suppose.

Ah, books vs movies...I understand that different media mean differences between adaptations, but if I've read the book I usually don't like/can't stand the movie. The original (whatever medium it originated in) is generally better, at least partially because there are some things that just don't transfer well to other forms. That said, I think LOTR was very well done, and while there are still things I don't like about the movies, overall they're quality stuff.
I gave up on the HP movies some time ago.

Matt, I still haven't made it through all the special features in my LOTR dvds either. I'm kind of disappointed in myself.
gryffinp

Postby gryffinp » 01 Apr 2009, 17:39

RE: Book to movie adaptations: I feel like they just shouldn't happen.

Almost all of the time they do not turn out as good as the original, mostly because of the impossibility of making an adaptation that is both good and strictly faithful. Furthermore, it is so very, VERY rare that an adaptation actually ADDS something to the original, as was the case in the Lord of the Rings movie. I feel like movies should get their own damn plots, and let the books be books.

I should note that graphic novels are different in my mind, since they are already a visual medium and tend to work FAR better in adaptation than straight-up books do.

EDIT: Also more Gibb please.
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 01 Apr 2009, 20:55

gryffinp wrote:RE: Book to movie adaptations: I feel like they just shouldn't happen.

Almost all of the time they do not turn out as good as the original, mostly because of the impossibility of making an adaptation that is both good and strictly faithful. Furthermore, it is so very, VERY rare that an adaptation actually ADDS something to the original, as was the case in the Lord of the Rings movie. I feel like movies should get their own damn plots, and let the books be books.

I should note that graphic novels are different in my mind, since they are already a visual medium and tend to work FAR better in adaptation than straight-up books do.

EDIT: Also more Gibb please.

Not being as good as the original doesnt make it not fucking wicked.

Movie adaptations reach a much wider audience than a book would. I would have never, EVER have picked up a book called "The Princess Bride" And i would have forever been a buffoon.

I am fully in favor of movie adaptations, as well as in favor of people who complain "It wasnt as good" getting their unshattered kneecap lisences revoked.
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 01 Apr 2009, 23:07

It amuses me when people who cream over "golden age Hollywood" films complain about the movie never being as good as the book whenever some adaptation from a book they read comes out. Completely unawares of how much of the Hollywood canon is adapted from or inspired by a book.
Kdz

Postby Kdz » 01 Apr 2009, 23:37

There is absolutely nothing about this post that had anything to do with anything except the podcast.

Don't let anyone, including myself tell you otherwise.
Last edited by Kdz on 01 Apr 2009, 23:46, edited 1 time in total.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 01 Apr 2009, 23:42

Is that for the Phailhaüs thread?
Kdz

Postby Kdz » 01 Apr 2009, 23:45

That totally was. Man, it's way too early here. That's embarassing. I'm going to move it now.
Lyinginbedmon

Re: LRRcast for Ways to Survive the Recession -Official Thre

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 01 Apr 2009, 23:47

Lyinginbedmon wrote:EDIT BY GRAHAM:
Sometimes... Jer forgets to make threads for these things.
Might as well carry on in the same one, being as you're already talking about stuff.

Carry on.
Yay me! I'm official! :D

Why did it take me this long to notice that...
achesst

Postby achesst » 02 Apr 2009, 22:01

The only thing I have to say is Matt, when things start to burn, it stops being physics and starts being Chemistry! Darn you physics, darn you to heck for stealing all our wonderful, burning things.
goat

Postby goat » 03 Apr 2009, 05:37

achesst wrote:The only thing I have to say is Matt, when things start to burn, it stops being physics and starts being Chemistry! Darn you physics, darn you to heck for stealing all our wonderful, burning things.

As a physics phriend of mine is phond of saying, "Chemistry is derived from Physics, it's not our fault that you like to play in just one corner of the sandbox".

Return to “LRRcast”