When Yahtzee and Graham Collide

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 01 Apr 2009, 10:17

Frozengale wrote:
Matt wrote:
Frozengale wrote:sorry Graham but I don't think you did a good job on this one, it was mediocre, better then the crap Yahtzee clones you see up on YouTube but still not that great, though it was fun to see you the whole thing play out. Would have been better if you guys bantered a bit more but oh well.

I'm going to respectfully disagree. Graham hopped in, and did a respectable send up of Yahtzee's review style. He's never done anything like it before, he han't had years of practice at it, and he's not an angry british fellow living in Australia. Graham's bit was interesting and funny, and everyone on the escapist's biggest complaint about it seems to be that Graham isn't Yahtzee.

Well, duh.

It's just a gag - but its unfair and unrealistic to expect Graham to come out of the gate on this and one up Yahtzee at his own game. For what it's worth, I though G did a fantastic job with it, and as I said to him last night, he's not Yahtzee, but anyone who doesn't enjoy his send up is just being a dink.

-m

The reason I found it mediocre was because yes he was not Yahtzee but he tried to do it to much like Yahtzee, I personally wanted to see a Graham style review with Yahtzee being a jerk about the whole thing in the background. Just a Graham flavored imitation while good, is not great. But yeah you're right that considering he just jumped right into it I have to agree that it was well done.

... so you didn't like the joke, because it's a different joke than you wanted them to do?

the whole crossover was about graham and yahtzee doing each-other's thing. if G had done his own style review instead of trying to rip off Yahtzee it would have missed the entire point of the joke - G was supposed to be trying to rip yahtzee off exatly.

-m

I am not angry at you.
theashigaru
First Video: The Con

Postby theashigaru » 01 Apr 2009, 10:20

wedrinkritalin wrote:How was it done? Did you just send yahtzee an audio recording and he did the video for you?

I was wondering that too. If Graham did the video portion of his section, then he nailed it PERFECTLy. But I thought the crossover was great anyway. Both Graham's and Yhatzee's reviews made me laugh hysterically so I rate this 'epic win.'
Now I'd like to hear Paul do a ZP style review. I really find that hard to imagine, but it would be awesome!
Is it safe?
theashigaru
First Video: The Con

Postby theashigaru » 01 Apr 2009, 10:28

Matt wrote:
Frozengale wrote:
Matt wrote:
Frozengale wrote:sorry Graham but I don't think you did a good job on this one, it was mediocre, better then the crap Yahtzee clones you see up on YouTube but still not that great, though it was fun to see you the whole thing play out. Would have been better if you guys bantered a bit more but oh well.

I'm going to respectfully disagree. Graham hopped in, and did a respectable send up of Yahtzee's review style. He's never done anything like it before, he han't had years of practice at it, and he's not an angry british fellow living in Australia. Graham's bit was interesting and funny, and everyone on the escapist's biggest complaint about it seems to be that Graham isn't Yahtzee.

Well, duh.

It's just a gag - but its unfair and unrealistic to expect Graham to come out of the gate on this and one up Yahtzee at his own game. For what it's worth, I though G did a fantastic job with it, and as I said to him last night, he's not Yahtzee, but anyone who doesn't enjoy his send up is just being a dink.

-m

The reason I found it mediocre was because yes he was not Yahtzee but he tried to do it to much like Yahtzee, I personally wanted to see a Graham style review with Yahtzee being a jerk about the whole thing in the background. Just a Graham flavored imitation while good, is not great. But yeah you're right that considering he just jumped right into it I have to agree that it was well done.

... so you didn't like the joke, because it's a different joke than you wanted them to do?

the whole crossover was about graham and yahtzee doing each-other's thing. if G had done his own style review instead of trying to rip off Yahtzee it would have missed the entire point of the joke - G was supposed to be trying to rip yahtzee off exatly.

-m

Right! I mean, it would have sucked if Yahtzee had swaggered into the Unskippable and done a ZP style review of Star Ocean. But instead, he followed Graham and Paul's format.
So Graham did the converse of what Yhatzee did which worked out the best. It's already been said, Graham isn't Yhatzee and Yhatzee isn't Graham, but that's what is so funny! Seeing both of them in roles they don't usually do and may not be the best at.
Is it safe?
Frozengale

Postby Frozengale » 01 Apr 2009, 10:28

Matt wrote:
Frozengale wrote:
Matt wrote:

Well, duh.

-m

-m

Ok poor example...I'm saying that I was hoping that ZP would be different as in it wouldn't just be Graham trying to do Yahtzee's bit, the example I gave was what I think would be coolest. I mean the thing with Yahtzee in Unskippable that I like was ,yes, it was Yahtzee trying to rip off Graham but he did it with Graham and Paul at the same time and it was interesting because we get all the funny plus some extra banter going on. If I want to see rip off Yahtzee's I can wade through the crap ones on YouTube.
If I ever come up with something witty or interesting I'm not going to display it in plain sight for you buffoons to steal away.
ptitqui

Postby ptitqui » 01 Apr 2009, 10:28

Well done Graham! I thought that was excellent, kept very true to the pacing and style of ZP. The only thing missing was a British accent :P but I don't suppose you can do very much about that.

Also I like your little ZP man.
Joshua
First Video: Dont remember

Postby Joshua » 01 Apr 2009, 10:42

Frozengale wrote:Ok poor example...I'm saying that I was hoping that ZP would be different as in it wouldn't just be Graham trying to do Yahtzee's bit, the example I gave was what I think would be coolest. I mean the thing with Yahtzee in Unskippable that I like was ,yes, it was Yahtzee trying to rip off Graham but he did it with Graham and Paul at the same time and it was interesting because we get all the funny plus some extra banter going on. If I want to see rip off Yahtzee's I can wade through the crap ones on YouTube.

The entire joke was set up at the end of unskipable, that what Yahtzee does isn't that hard, so Graham was going to go do it, just like Yahtzee and show him anyone could do it, if he was good or not is beside the point, how are you missing this joke completely?

Edit: Also I think the crossovers where a great success

Edit:Edit: Of course I assume Graham tried his best, and it was pretty admirable, I could not do it as well.
Last edited by Joshua on 01 Apr 2009, 10:46, edited 1 time in total.
We feel free when we escape--even if it be but from the frying pan into the fire.
Frozengale

Postby Frozengale » 01 Apr 2009, 10:44

Joshua wrote:
Frozengale wrote:Ok poor example...I'm saying that I was hoping that ZP would be different as in it wouldn't just be Graham trying to do Yahtzee's bit, the example I gave was what I think would be coolest. I mean the thing with Yahtzee in Unskippable that I like was ,yes, it was Yahtzee trying to rip off Graham but he did it with Graham and Paul at the same time and it was interesting because we get all the funny plus some extra banter going on. If I want to see rip off Yahtzee's I can wade through the crap ones on YouTube.

The entire joke was set up at the end of unskipable, that what ZP does isn't that hard, so Graham was going to go do it, just like ZP and show him anyone could do it, if he was good or not is beside the point, how are you missing this joke completely?

What can I say, I'm dense.
Ok I get the joke but I still think there was potential for something better, oh well what's done is done, good job Graham.

If I ever come up with something witty or interesting I'm not going to display it in plain sight for you buffoons to steal away.
gryffinp

Postby gryffinp » 01 Apr 2009, 10:56

I do want to point out that I found it hard to enjoy Graham's section simply because I am so used to hearing Yahtzee's voice coming out of that yellow background that the difference was extremely disconcerting. However, I did really like the joke where Graham screws up and then Yahtzee resumes control.
Patriot

Postby Patriot » 01 Apr 2009, 11:35

Grahams voice is too deep and soothing. He brought up entertaining points but he's just not the type of person that can make Zero Punctuation work for me. An excessively angry Matt might get the job done.
Cade Antilles
First Video: Man Cooking - The Gigantor

Postby Cade Antilles » 01 Apr 2009, 11:35

I really wish I could see it, but the video refuses to load right now! Grrr
"May the Force rock you!"

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
Sarah
First Video: Sound Wars

Postby Sarah » 01 Apr 2009, 11:52

Patriot wrote:Grahams voice is too deep and soothing. He brought up entertaining points but he's just not the type of person that can make Zero Punctuation work for me. An excessively angry Matt might get the job done.

Okay now I really want to see Matt do ZP.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 01 Apr 2009, 11:59

Sarah wrote:
Patriot wrote:Grahams voice is too deep and soothing. He brought up entertaining points but he's just not the type of person that can make Zero Punctuation work for me. An excessively angry Matt might get the job done.

Okay now I really want to see Matt do ZP.

I believe I joked about that in the unskippable thread.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Lawman
First Video: 3 PS3s

Postby Lawman » 01 Apr 2009, 12:11

Personally, I loved it. I think the crossover was a complete success. Being devout fans of both sites, it was like having twice as much goodness. Or "goodness density" if you will. Graham, I think you did a stellar job of trying to be Yahtzee; but what the video showed, and I'm sure was the main intention, was that you can't quite live up to his British arrogance, just like that Yahtzee couldn't live up to you when he was visiting Unskippable. So, what have we learnt? That each person has their own thing that they're better at. And I mean that in a positive way.

The problem is that a lot of the fans evidently see it that way. Like that Simpsons episode where Seymour Skinner turns out to be Armin Tamzarian: people kicked up a giant fuss about it while completely glossing over the main point, and not enjoying the ride.

While I was expecting you to take a different direction with it than you actually did, I can't be mad at that: in fact, it means I get double the jokes – the ones you did and the ones I imagined you doing.

So, as far as I am aware, you are the only person in the world who has done their own Zero Punctuation-esque review at Yahtzee's request and the only ever guest on a ZP review (discounting that guy who threw a beer can once). That's an impressive accolade. Nice work.

So, a few questions:

I assume that Yahtzee did the animation for your segment? Did you and he discuss how you'd look, or did you let him "surprise you" with his rendition of you?

Did you ask Yahtzee for any guidance when writing your section of it (I presume it was you who wrote it), or did you just do your own research? And by research I mean just watch a bunch of ZP reviews.

EDIT: I think Matt would also do a great version of ZP.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 01 Apr 2009, 12:15

Graham actually did the animation for his own bit. Yahtzee sent him his files so that he could make it look right.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Lawman
First Video: 3 PS3s

Postby Lawman » 01 Apr 2009, 12:24

Oh wow, awesome!
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 01 Apr 2009, 12:29

I do not think doing the animation for a Zero Punctuation is that hard.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
SamsonWest

Postby SamsonWest » 01 Apr 2009, 12:35

I thought the joke came off perfectly, tho I agree about the voice, just hard to think of it as angry. but thats years of LLR videos tainting that belief.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 01 Apr 2009, 12:40

I did the video for my bit too.
I have his photoshop files! Oooo!
wedrinkritalin

Postby wedrinkritalin » 01 Apr 2009, 12:42

Graham wrote:I did the video for my bit too.

Wow, sell them on ebay, fanboys will buy them
Misty
The Goddamn Batman
First Video: Suspend Your Disbelief

Postby Misty » 01 Apr 2009, 12:48

Okay, now you have to make a ZP-styled crew pic :D
InsaneFool
First Video: How to Talk like a Pirate

Postby InsaneFool » 01 Apr 2009, 13:01

Misty wrote:

Okay, now you have to make a ZP-styled crew pic :D

I'm betting that'll be the next Hustle intro.
Personal Fail Count: 3ish? (So Far)
Follow me on Twitter
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 01 Apr 2009, 13:05

hehe. thios means I coule theoretically have access to these files should I decde tofollow through on the overwhelming demand for an angry-matt ZP.

-m

I am not angry at you.
wedrinkritalin

Postby wedrinkritalin » 01 Apr 2009, 13:07

Matt wrote:

hehe. thios means I coule theoretically have access to these files should I decde tofollow through on the overwhelming demand for an angry-matt ZP.

-m

I would mail you my kidney if you did that
Frozengale

Postby Frozengale » 01 Apr 2009, 13:15

wedrinkritalin wrote:
Matt wrote:

-m

I would mail you my kidney if you did that

and I'd mail you his OTHER kidney just for good measure

Septavius
Location: The friends to the south of our friends to the north

Postby Septavius » 01 Apr 2009, 13:35

I'm actually quite impressed with just how thoroughly Graham stepped up to the plate on this one. In terms of speed of delivery and obscenity-density, it was roughly on par with Yahtzee's typical performance. I feel like your tone of voice was slightly less...restrained, perhaps? It came off as continuous seething hatred, where Yahtzee typically sticks to snide disinterest with occasional flare-ups of rage. The animation was also slightly dodgy.

Despite mild shortcomings (easily attributed to lack of practice with the medium), good on ya, Graham! Very nicely done. I'm a little disappointed that Paul didn't join you.

Also, making a gag out of you running out of dick analogies was a good way to transition into Yahtzee's main bit, and was also really funny.

Also it's pretty well-established that Yahtzee grew up playing a commodore 64, and he makes references to that on occasion. I don't actually think it was a reference to LRR in this case.
Last edited by Septavius on 01 Apr 2009, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”