When Yahtzee and Graham Collide

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Trisha Lynn
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Trisha Lynn » 01 Apr 2009, 18:13

Graham wrote:I did the video for my bit too.
I have his photoshop files! Oooo!

Now THAT is freaking amazing.

Trisha Lynn
...fav. line was the "cunting" one...
Publisher/Editor, GeekingOutAbout.com
http://www.geekingoutabout.com
On Twitter: @trishalynn
On Twitch and the LRRCraft server: cattleprodlynn
Septavius
Location: The friends to the south of our friends to the north

Postby Septavius » 01 Apr 2009, 19:14

Really? I found the use of the word "cunting" came off as slightly forced. One of the few minor things I didn't like about Graham's bit.
RytelCSF
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby RytelCSF » 01 Apr 2009, 19:15

Septavius wrote:Really? I found the use of the word "cunting" came off as slightly forced. One of the few minor things I didn't like about Graham's bit.

I thought that was the point, as if he was running out of swears and had to conjure one on the spot.
Septavius
Location: The friends to the south of our friends to the north

Postby Septavius » 01 Apr 2009, 19:22

If that was the intention, putting in a slight hesitation to indicate that he's running out of steam would have made it work slightly better, in my opinion. It's honestly a minor quibble either way.
ptitqui

Postby ptitqui » 01 Apr 2009, 19:39

I found Graham sounded really.......angry. As opposed to just annoyed and unimpressed. It was very startling, even tho I expected Graham to be Yahtzee-esque.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 01 Apr 2009, 20:12

Oh man, both of those were so good.

Congrats, guys!
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
Trisha Lynn

Postby Trisha Lynn » 01 Apr 2009, 20:12

Now that I know that Graham did all the animation work himself and I watched it again, I just realized why I'm not digging it as much as everyone else: it looks like a slightly slower ZP, but it doesn't sound like it.

It's close. It's so close that it's painful. The "high-rise building" transition? Absolutely phenomenal, and just the kind of thing we're used to because we've gotten used to it watching LRR. The blow-job joke? Not something Yahtzee's done before (I think) but I found it hilarious. But it just didn't sound right because the voice was slower and was speaking with a different accent. That kind of dissonance can be jarring.

Also, the mispronunciation of "Ayumi" was a bit painful and I don't think I really understood the transition that lead up to the blowjob joke, so those two parts really were clunkers for me, too.

But, I am still interested in seeing if Matt can knock it out of the ballpark, with Yahtzee's permission, of course.

Trisha Lynn
...and there's more anger than "meh" to ZP...
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 01 Apr 2009, 20:50

I should say that I was trying for speed and energy, and that came out as anger.
I do hate (HATE!) that game, but perhaps I should have tried to rein back the delivery.

I noticed it at the time, but I was up till 6:00AM working on the video, and would have had to redo the images if I re-recorded.
Yahtzee liked it. He said "Wow, I'm impressed."

Also, the blow-job joke lead up was a reference to the term "Sucking a golf ball through a garden hose."
Last edited by Graham on 01 Apr 2009, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 01 Apr 2009, 20:52

0_0
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 01 Apr 2009, 21:33

Graham wrote:I should say that I was trying for speed and energy, and that came out as anger.

As a Main tank of 4 years who takes his work philosophically, I can in fact confirm that there is a fine line between anger and intense awesomeness. those with unrefined palettes can seldom tell the difference.
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
Cade Antilles
First Video: Man Cooking - The Gigantor

Postby Cade Antilles » 02 Apr 2009, 01:14

Finally got to see it (don't know why it wouldn't load for me) but, yes, awesome! Very well executed, and a pretty good imitation of Yahtzee's style.
"May the Force rock you!"

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 02 Apr 2009, 02:55

So this is what it's like when awesome and fantastic collide. (aside from NPH.)

I'm surprised anyone had problems with the Cunting line. I thought it was very good and pretty reminiscent of Yahtzee's habit of making up swear words.

All in all good work.

Hmmm if only you could get Yahtzee AND Will Wheaton to be in an LRR video together somehow. I guess the universe might collapse if that happened though.
Trisha Lynn

Postby Trisha Lynn » 02 Apr 2009, 03:17

Graham wrote:Also, the blow-job joke lead up was a reference to the term "Sucking a golf ball through a garden hose."

I think I got that, but I didn't understand it because of your delivery. But that could just be a "me" thing because I also very frequently misunderstand song lyrics if I've never read them before.

Trisha Lynn
...not at "kiss this guy" levels, but close...
spartanhelmet

Postby spartanhelmet » 02 Apr 2009, 03:51

Kudos for this shindig. Enjoyable, and from left field - the best combination.

Shamefully, I'm bringing a suggestion for the next step rather than slobbering all over this crossover. If you do something with Remi Gaillard, that would be awesome.

But yes... awesomeness :)
"LRR för 4 av 5 toasts"
Citin

Postby Citin » 02 Apr 2009, 09:43

A very good parody of Yahtzee's work Graham.
"I'll be in Africa. If you need me just phone Africa, I told them to expect your call." - The Pointy Haired Boss
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 02 Apr 2009, 11:33

Matt wrote:
Sarah wrote:
Patriot wrote:Grahams voice is too deep and soothing. He brought up entertaining points but he's just not the type of person that can make Zero Punctuation work for me. An excessively angry Matt might get the job done.

Okay now I really want to see Matt do ZP.

I believe I joked about that in the unskippable thread.

-m

No offense, Matt, but I think you would do a poor job of ZP. Just judging from your vocal performances on the podcast, you leave phenomenally long pauses in your speech. Perhaps with some judicious audio editing it could be done, but then you lose the flow...
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 02 Apr 2009, 11:42

recording something live and recording something pre-planned are entirely different things.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 02 Apr 2009, 11:53

I just don't think your voice flows as well as, say, Graham's. It lacks a certain mellifluous quality.
Interruptor Jones

Postby Interruptor Jones » 02 Apr 2009, 11:59

Perhaps, but Matt does have a focused rage and vehemence that does not sacrifice wit or vocabulary, and that's something to be reckoned with. I vote in favor of a Matt-rant ZP.

There is no 'm' in 'sexy'.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 02 Apr 2009, 12:05

metcarfre wrote:I just don't think your voice flows as well as, say, Graham's. It lacks a certain mellifluous quality.

I don't think you've heard me try.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 02 Apr 2009, 12:29

Matt does pause in the podcasts, but listen to his delivary in videos, particularly when he's angry. Matt, I'd love to hear you give this a try, I'd think you could nail it.

Anyways, crossovers like this never work perfectly, but I think both videos were very entertaining and realicially they were as good as they could have been. I also really doubt Yahtzee's style of humour would work in the PG-13 (ish) LRR world.

What needs to be taken away from this is that, of the three new shows on The Escapist, Unskippable is proving the most successful, and with support from the Yahtzee flagship, things are looking good for Graham and Paul. Huzzah!
ptitqui

Postby ptitqui » 02 Apr 2009, 16:06

I don't doubt that Matt could be as smooth and melodious as Graham if he tried. I don't think he could replicate those jazzy bass tones tho :P
FlintPaper577

Postby FlintPaper577 » 02 Apr 2009, 17:41

Yeah, I liked this video. I mean sure Graham wasn't Yahtzee. He WAS a bit too soothing. But it was funny, and better than any other of the impersonating videos. Good publicity for the guys.

I don't think Matt's brand of anger would work - he always seems sort of too intense, too loud. Yahtzee has a more subtle rage. He manages to be both deadpan and angry. He's the sort of guy who'd write a letter to the Times. Matt's the sort of guy who'd stand on a street corner, or the O'Reilly Factor, and yell at people. (I'm talking about the persona here btw).
VanSlick
The Ever-Patient One
First Video: No idea

Postby VanSlick » 02 Apr 2009, 18:38

I loved the double crossover, and thought that Graham's ZP bit was hilarious. I also like how his last words were "oh-o" :-p

Nice job Graham
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 02 Apr 2009, 18:47

because I haven't been paying attention I just came across the crossovers today and was very entertained.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~

Return to “General Discussion”