LRRcast for The Dinner Party

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
goat

Re: LRRcast for The Dinner Party

Postby goat » 26 Apr 2009, 19:38

Master Gunner wrote:I'm procrastinating right now, just F5-ing the forum, despite having the Norton Anthology of American Literature open in front of me, notebook in hand, an Openoffice.org window open, an assignment due last week, and an assignment due tomorrow. Yet everything I type goes into a quick-reply box somehow

The problem in your situation has been highlighted for clarity. =p
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 26 Apr 2009, 19:44

I much prefer the anthology of English literature, but that's for the next essay I need to write. Right now I have to do one on "Neither Out Far Nor In Deep" (I'm actually about a third done right now, and now that it's started it will be fairly easy to finish).
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
gryffinp

Postby gryffinp » 26 Apr 2009, 19:51

I do have three comments to make, two to Paul, one to Morgan

Paul 1: You have clearly never even SEEN survival mode in person because fourteen minutes in Survival is basically superhuman. You can be forgiven for this on the basis that as far as I know you don't have Left 4 Dead, but still. The average game of Survival is lucky if it makes it to four minutes. Please see this graph indicating the spawn rates over time in survival.

Paul 2: I know the plot analases for Braid seem weird, but the hidden alternate ending lends a surprising amount of credence to the most popular theory. And I am very sorry for informing you that there is an alternate ending.

Morgan: I was actually inspired to replay Fallout 3 based on your efforts in the Podcast, with the new DLC. What weapons do you find yourself using these days? Because for me, Gauss Rifle is all I need.
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 26 Apr 2009, 20:32

I'm terrible at note taking, i'm just curious, before I listen through 5 times, if anyone had that recipe? I love me some banana bread
Patriot

Postby Patriot » 26 Apr 2009, 21:02

Cake wrote:Pffft. I'd pay 5 bucks for the forum if it kept idiots out.

Stupidity is a basis of hilarity. See http://www.bash.org for examples.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 26 Apr 2009, 21:08

Well, I would probably be willing to pay the five bucks. I paid twenty to have Kate blow a kiss at me through the Internet, so clearly I owe you guys (HA! See what I did there?). Nevertheless, I don't think it'd be a good idea to do that.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 26 Apr 2009, 23:14

I might be persuaded to pay 5 bucks for a sponsors forums, and/or special sponsor features (like roosterteeth), but not for sole use of the forum (at least at this time, I'm horribly broke).

I consider sing game FAQs cheating if you haven't beaten the game first, but sometimes it's necessary!

Excellent Pirates of Penzance reference! (I was totally thinking that too)

Also: Bless You!
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

Postby Smeghead » 26 Apr 2009, 23:25

now I've got something I need to try out.
*Blows up a barn using toothpase and a hamsterwheel*
Now about teh podcast, now I have something from in there I need to try out as well (you'll see, if I actually do it that is).
Maximillian

Postby Maximillian » 27 Apr 2009, 00:50

I'd totally be willing to shell out five bucks for LRR. I'd probably be willing to shell out ten bucks for LRR on a monthly basis, possibly for the LRRcasts alone. However, your LRRcasting services are provided as a complimentary service, for which you at LRR are awesome.

Now I have to go buy the DVDs and a few T-shirts. You know, once I have money and/or a source of income.

Edit: I've written the Banana Bread recipe down, and I will soon try to bake some myself. Or get someone else (with any kind of skill in baking) to do it for me.
Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future || The sheltering wings of the protector...
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 27 Apr 2009, 00:59

It suddenly occurs to me that this podcast basically began in the same way the podcast in the last cHUSTLE episode ended...
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Maximillian

Postby Maximillian » 27 Apr 2009, 01:15

Lyinginbedmon wrote:It suddenly occurs to me that this podcast basically began in the same way the podcast in the last cHUSTLE episode ended...

Delicious, delicious LRR recipes. Or maybe LRRecipes.

....LRRcipes?
Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future || The sheltering wings of the protector...
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 27 Apr 2009, 01:28

LRRipes?
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 27 Apr 2009, 02:05

Jackboleo wrote:
Dave-O_Boy wrote:Sibelius is horribly unintuitive unless you know the program.

urgh Sibelius... finale notepad may not be very good but it's got more intuitive selection tools. Ah GCSE music...

I hate Finale even more than I hate Sibelius, it depresses me that Sibelius is still the best score writing program I've seen.
whyarecarrots

Postby whyarecarrots » 27 Apr 2009, 02:32

Master Gunner wrote:Maybe a super-secret section of the forum for sponsors only? That way you get the best of both worlds!

Warseer.com* has that for it's forums: for about £2 a month (less if you pay for several months in advance) you get a custom title and access to the wastes (basically a spam forum for whatever ridiculous discussions anyone wants) and a forum for the discussion of political and religious issues (which isn't allowed in the normal off-topic forum. However, despite these bonuses I think many of the people that pay for that do it in order to keep the forum running: it's had to upgrade it's servers about twice in as many years as it's growing so quickly, so it needs the revenue. I'll be planning to sign up o that for a few months over the summer, partly because after 5700 posts there I think I owe them something, but mostly because I want to make my title 'LUDICROUS POSTCOUNT!' for a little while...

My personal view on paying for forums: a one-off payment, I'd have no problem with. A monthly subscription I'd be less sure about however, as I'd have to weigh up whether it's worthwhile spending that much (especially as I'll be a student this autumn, so I'm expecting monetary problems to be pretty much a fact of life ;)). As you were saying in the podcast, it would certainly lose you quite a few members of the forum, and I don't think that's something that's necessary: I haven't really seen any new members here (other than the spambots) who are the sort you'd want to stop joining by introducing a joining fee**, and having large numbers of people on the forums would only help increase the popularity of your videos.
That said, if some degree of charging for the forums is introduced, then I think it would be best if it were a voluntary thing, maybe with some benefits from it: a one off payment allowing you to post in the general discussion, rather than just comment on videos maybe...

Slightly more on topic: good podcast guys, and I would also like to proclaim myself as a banana bread fan, though without raisins or cinnamon (not a fan of raisins, but the cinnamon is an interesting idea)

*tabletop wargaming forum
** although I realise that I'm probably pretty close.... :P
Lyinginbedmon wrote:Real men don't sleep!

INSOMNIA IS MANLY! HAAAH!
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 27 Apr 2009, 03:16

Paul: I went back and checked those photos of the shaving and you could seriously rock the handlebar moustache.
artful dodger

Postby artful dodger » 27 Apr 2009, 10:20

Doh I live in North Carolina (but I'm from Buffalo NY). It doesn't totally suck here but it's not too great.
Cade Antilles
First Video: Man Cooking - The Gigantor

Postby Cade Antilles » 27 Apr 2009, 16:19

I, too, would pay for these boards. I'd prefer them to stay free, as I'm unemployed and, therefore, broke. But, it's the only board I post to, period. And, I like you guys. All y'all (other forumites included). I'd suddenly miss not being able to feel like a part of this community. :|
"May the Force rock you!"

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
Kdz
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby Kdz » 27 Apr 2009, 18:24

Lyinginbedmon wrote:LRRipes?

I think LRRcipes gets the vote. Rolls off the tongue better, imo.
curbee

Postby curbee » 27 Apr 2009, 20:18

LRRpies also sounds slurpies rather than recipes.
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 27 Apr 2009, 21:36

curbee wrote:LRRpies also sounds like herpes rather than recipes.
Edited for truth.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 28 Apr 2009, 00:04

SLRRpies maybe?
theonlyavalon

Postby theonlyavalon » 28 Apr 2009, 02:47

I wanna know who it was that was whispering "Rosebud"? It was very quiet, very subtle and made me chuckle! lol.

I'd pay a one off fee I reckon, since I have become obsessed with LRR (my family can testify, cuz I talk about it all the time! "In this video, on the LRR site...")

FAQ-ing is not cheating! Well, maybe a little bit, but when games have good and bad endings, or 100% endings, sometimes you need a little bit of help to do it! FFX2 anyone? Bloody hell!
"Think now: where would your good be if there were no evil and what would the world look like without shadows?"
--The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 28 Apr 2009, 03:31

theonlyavalon wrote:FAQ-ing is not cheating! Well, maybe a little bit, but when games have good and bad endings, or 100% endings, sometimes you need a little bit of help to do it! FFX2 anyone? Bloody hell!

I agree. I'll look at FAQs for games to see if they have multiple endings. I mean, for games like KotOR or Bioshock that have an obvious morality system, you kind of know all along what ending you're heading for. But I do not like getting 50 hours into a game only to get the bad ending because of something subtle I did at the beginning. Disgaea, I'm looking at you. And then I had to play through it again to get the good one.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 28 Apr 2009, 03:35

I've yet to look at a FAQ or walkthrough for Half-Life 2, but dang if that Antlion Guard in the Antlion hive didn't knock me for six.
MrDys

Postby MrDys » 28 Apr 2009, 12:49

Here's an awesome interview with Terry O'Reilly from The Age of Persuasion.

Return to “LRRcast”