Loading Ready Gym

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
ptitqui

Loading Ready Gym

Postby ptitqui » 27 Apr 2009, 07:57

In response to http://loadingreadyrun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8948&start=0

We are starting this thread to help each other in our progress at getting in shape and generally being healthier forumites.

I'll start:

I'm currently 5'3'' 215 lbs, I would like to eventually get down to 135 but my goal at the moment is to be below 200 by the beginning of June.

I am currently training for a 5K funrun at the end of May, so we'll see how that goes.

I used to be skinny, but then I went to college and gained 60 lbs. I've put on the other 20 slowly over the last couple years. I generally have horrendous eating habits, love hiking on weekends, but would rather play Playstation than go out for a run. I'm hoping to get myself into good habits before I move out to Victoria for school.

What are everyone's goals to start with?
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Re: Loading Ready Gym

Postby Elomin Sha » 27 Apr 2009, 08:05

I'm 5'11" and around 12.5 stone. I haven't weighed myself correctly in ages.
I want to lose that little bit of a second chin I have, which is working, and lose the last bits of my gut.

I cycle to work and back which is up and down hills taking 15-20mins, depending on wind direction. Due to all my cycling, my legs are very muscular (always have been for some reason).

My goal is to lose the extra protruding fat I have. So I'm going to cycle more and need suggestions for better food to eat.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
James
LRR Crew

Postby James » 27 Apr 2009, 08:07

I'm not usually one to share my fitness/weight things but for the good of everyone of the boards health why not.

I am currently 6' tall weighing 215 lbs. This time last year I was sitting at exactly 240 lbs. I then cut my sugar intake about 90% and lost a good 25 pounds with no tremendous amount of work (minus my job) on my part. However for the last 5 months I have hovered around the same weight without really seeing much decline.

I was planning on running the TC 10K this year but about a week after i started traning for it my ankle (which I badly injured while playing hockey years ago) started acting up. It would seem high impact running isn't the best thing for it. And to be honest I wasn't really finding much enjoyment in it either. So the other day I went out and purchased a gym pass and plan on getting to the gym as often as I can.

I would love to get down to 185 eventually but I am aiming for 200 by July 1st.
wilson_x1999
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wilson_x1999 » 27 Apr 2009, 08:16

Right now I think I must be around 280lbs and 5'10", this is what you get for working 5 years in a callcenter where your butt is ALWAYS in the same place for hours at the time, you gain a LOT of weight.

I'm trying to go back to what I used to weight in my early 20's, about 200lbs.

I started running last week and at the same time stopped drinking soda, eating too many sugars and stopped eating bread and tortillas, while increasing the amount of water I drink daily.

I know that I'll drop some weight with just the dieting, but I really want to buff up a little so that's why I started running and doing push-ups, I walk a bit to warm up, then I'll run half a kilometer, then I'll walk a bit more and so on, then I do a set of few push-ups, rest a bit and repeat.

Is there anything else I should be doing? or am I doing it WRONG? XD
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 27 Apr 2009, 08:30

6'3" and 245 lbs. Goals; 1) To increase stamina and strength for hiking and climbing trips. Right now I know I can hike 20 km in a day over relatively calm terrain with a full pack (30-40 lbs). I'd like to see that so I can do the same, but gain 1000 feet as well, and do it comfortably and safely. 2) To trim myself up in anticipation of my wedding next year. Gotta look good. 3) To retain good exercise habits that work so I can be healthy for life. This is really the most important one. I need to develop good habits I can keep using. I was good in the fall and hit the gym regularly but have slacked off since.

I don't have a weight-loss goal in mind. Years ago I trained for a half-marathon and gained 20 lbs (in muscle I hope) while running every other day. So, weight in particular isn't essential; my fitness is.

Plan; get a membership at the community gym when I move to Agassiz. Work out at least 3 times a week for an hour. Hiking or climbing every other week. Reduce carbs and increase vegetables and salads instead.

Oh yes, one final thing; if I can actually find a place to climb nearby, I would like to be able to nail 5.10s solidly onsite and the occasional 5.11. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yosemite_Decimal_System
Last edited by Metcarfre on 27 Apr 2009, 08:44, edited 1 time in total.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 27 Apr 2009, 08:44

I'm currently very close to 100 kg. Way to much. My goal is to get below 90 kg's, preferably below 88 kg's.

I intend to get some more exercise in the coming months and weeks but it's kinda hard to fit into the general schedule at the moment.

I can't really run (And I kinda hate it actually), so it'll be cycling for me. Luckily there's some nice scenery and forest around my place, so I have a place to do it.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
InsaneFool
First Video: How to Talk like a Pirate

Postby InsaneFool » 27 Apr 2009, 08:55

I'm 6'1" and last I checked weighed ~250 lbs...which was after going on a diet and losing 25 lbs with minimal exercise. Then winter rolled around and I stopped going to the gym.

I plan on going back as much as I can this summer, because my gym is right close to my work...so I can go to work, and work out for an hour and go home. Thats the plan anyways.

As for my exercise regimen, its been pretty light really...I stick to the orbital cross trainers, 15 minutes of fat-burn, and 15 minutes of cardio. Although this summer I plan on doing a lot more muscle building along with working on my stamina.
Personal Fail Count: 3ish? (So Far)
Follow me on Twitter
ptitqui

Postby ptitqui » 27 Apr 2009, 09:03

metcarfre wrote:Oh yes, one final thing; if I can actually find a place to climb nearby, I would like to be able to nail 5.10s solidly onsite and the occasional 5.11. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yosemite_Decimal_System

Let me know if you're ever in Van, I head up to Squamish and westvan fairly regularly to climb.
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 27 Apr 2009, 09:29

i'm 6' and currently weigh 86kgs (roughly 190lbs). i've been gaining weight on and off since i was a child, and my recent long term unemployment/mental health issues have not helped. i've lost a ton of muscle and gained a whole heap of fat. as i said in the other thread, i've lost a fair bit of weight since i started my diet/lifestyle change/whatever just over a week ago (4kgs now), and my goal is around about 70-75. maybe. i haven't been below 80 in a very long time, so i can't say for sure. i'm on a pretty common sense diet which i won't go into, and currently doing cardio (running and boxing) every day, weight training 3 days a week, pilates 3 days a week and yoga every night.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 27 Apr 2009, 10:01

5' 1" and I weigh...#dashes to scales#... avout 45 kg (99.207 lb) after a somewhat large meal.

I think that means if I lose weight I'm underweight...
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 27 Apr 2009, 10:13

I'm roughly 6' and 12st 2 (which I think works out to about 78kgs, although I'm shit at percentages), and I want to get rid of this belly and chin I developed in high school. Just started working out again earlier, for the first time in ... six(?) months. I'd also like to get a bit of muscle defanition, and become strong enough to weild my bastard sword in one hand comfortably. You know... for the zombie apocalypse... >.>

I did 30 situps, 15 half pushups (which I shall forever know as girly pushups thanks to Bill and Ted) and 40 squats. I don't really know anything about how a person should work out, so if anybody has any pointers I'm all ears. I'm also just about to do the same number over again. Brb, w/o..
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 27 Apr 2009, 10:21

Just checked, my BMI is 18.7, underweight starts at less than 18.5.

So if anything, I actually need to gain weight. There are few circumstances outside of anorexia where that happens often.
Kara
First Video: The Bet

Postby Kara » 27 Apr 2009, 10:38

I'm about 5'5, 165 pounds. I'm not hugely overweight or anything, but I do want to get myself down to about 140. I was closer to 180 not too long ago, but I got a gym membership and have been doing about two days a week there, as well as running another day on top of this. I lost a bit and then gained a bit and now I'm losing again.

I also just finished doing a production of the musical RENT, which in choreography and staging alone took me off a few pounds.

I want to increase my gym time, but I won't be able to most likely until after the show I'm in is done and after I've graduated in June.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 27 Apr 2009, 10:50

Thing is, I know I have a fast metabolism and all, but I quite regularly eat quite a bit of junk food, like bacon and melted cheese, and I eat a couple chocolate bars every day.

Maybe it's all the walking I do between college and home...
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 27 Apr 2009, 11:10

6'0 and 240.. ya. Ive been trying to cut out sugar like james. Namely sugar, but its so hard when i tastes so much better than water. But i guess the V8 fruit stuff is better than it. I have been eating more greens. And my only exercise is what i do at home and when i walk back and forth on the line at work, but hey i guess that works. My plan, if i can cut out sugar is 220 by mid-late june.
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 27 Apr 2009, 11:12

I started out skinny for a while, then in middle school I learned just how cruel other kids could be & didn't get out much, thus gaining a lot of weight. I lost it all a couple years after graduation due to illness, kept it off for a while but for the past few years have been gaining again.

I'm currently 6'3" & 234 lbs, down about 25lbs from last summer when I joined the "Thin & Healthy" program at my gym. I have since plateaued & haven't made much progress since the holidays. I got out of the habit of hitting the gym every day but the hard part for me is sticking to the meal plan because I'm such a lazy cook. But now that recent distractions are gone (moving into a new house, adopting a cat, etc) I'm hoping to get back on the meal plan & stick with it until I reach my goal of 200 lbs by summer. It would be much easier if I had a gym buddy but as it is, if I can do this the victory will be all the better.

Good luck to everyone else trying to improve their lifestyle. Let's support each other & keep this thread updated.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Zivlok

Postby Zivlok » 27 Apr 2009, 11:39

I'm 6'4" and weigh 115 pounds. They published a BMI scale in the papers recently, and my BMI was literally off the chart. And the thing is, I do eat. I eat a lot. Actually, I probably eat too much sugary stuff - got bad teeth, and might have a worse heart down the road. But I've had complete strangers offer me advice about anorexia counseling.

IT GETS OLD.

So, yeah, I'm gonna try to make my midnight snacks less oreo-based and more yogurt-based, as a start.
Interruptor Jones

Postby Interruptor Jones » 27 Apr 2009, 11:40

I'm 5'6", probably... uhh, less than 130? Not sure. At some point in my teenagerhood my metabolism got flip turned upside down, and I have a hard time keeping my weight up... And since quitting my job, I don't really go out much, and haven't been biking either. I need to get my admittedly-humble muscle mass back and keep it - and find some kind of cardio, because whoa damn do I need to work on that. Thing is, no job means no money for the Y or what have you, but I think I have some free yoga classes left from a trial package I signed up for. Gonna have to find the studio's calendar for this month.

I'm going to work on getting more meat and veggies into my diet as well, I think that'll help. That may have to wait a while though, as I currently rely on whatever I can find in the depths of my freezer/fridge/cupboards. But, hey, making veggie soup has to count for something, eh?

TL;DR looking to get outside and exercise with no budget. Tree-climbing? Park-rambling?

There is no 'm' in 'sexy'.
Interruptor Jones

Postby Interruptor Jones » 27 Apr 2009, 11:44

Lyinginbedmon wrote:5' 1" and I weigh...#dashes to scales#... avout 45 kg (99.207 lb) after a somewhat large meal.

I think that means if I lose weight I'm underweight...

Healthy weight-gain/bodybuilding FTW? Sounds like we're working on the same kind of thing. :)

There is no 'm' in 'sexy'.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 27 Apr 2009, 11:53

6'1", 215ish, broad shoulders, heavy frame.

I'm comfortable with my weight. Only thing I could think to change is swapping some fat for muscle, but my overall weight wouldn't drop. It might even increase, as muscle weighs more than fat.

I like how Lying is smaller than some Tokyoites I know. "WHAT SICK MAN SENDS BABIES TO FIGHT ME?"

~Alja~
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 27 Apr 2009, 12:14

6'4, and hovering between 170 and 180 pounds. I also rarely leave my house, eat horribly, and generally don't use the treadmill sitting within 5m of me. However, I got lucky with the metabolism from my mother's side, which means I have trouble adding weight (my brother, who's almost exactly the same, wasn't even able to put on any in Uni). My father's side of the family though, would have given horrible metabolism (he's about my height, about double my weight, my other brother's about Matt's height or a bit shorter, and easily 10-20lb heavier). I would like to put on some weight though, preferably in the form of muscle. On the few occasions I do leave my house, I walk or bike as often as I can. So I just need to work on getting out more.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 27 Apr 2009, 12:18

My brother started using a brilliant saying for when people don't get his references: 'You need to get in more'.

Part of me just loves that :lol:
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 27 Apr 2009, 12:21

Alja-Markir wrote:I like how Lying is smaller than some Tokyoites I know. "WHAT SICK MAN SENDS BABIES TO FIGHT ME?"

~Alja~

Fair Warning: My height or lack thereof has been a point that bullies have picked on me with for over a decade, up until recently.

Please tread carefully with it.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 27 Apr 2009, 12:23

Right, so. I am 5'9", and at the beginning of january, my weight peaked at 198lbs. Currently, I am sitting at just a hair over 180, and I have about another 15-20 lbs to go to meet my final weight goal, somewhere between 155 and 165.

That said, in 4 months I've lost 15 pounds, and with the exception of a few setbacks and lapses in motivation, I have have been gradually and consistently shedding pounds since I started paying attention to my weight. I consider this, while still a work in progress, to be a success.

So what's my secret? The plus minus game. I use the following application: (it's free)

http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/

create an account, enter your height and weight, your lifestle, and your weightloss goal (it caps you a 2lbs/week, as more than that is dangerous without doctor supervision.)

it will spit out a calorie total. that calorie total is ywhat your net calories should be at the end of any given day. Mine is curently 1387/day. If I exercise, that limit increases by the number of calories I burned. if I eat, the calorie limit is decreased by the amount of calories in the food I ate. The gioal, at the end of every day is to have 0 calories remaining, without going over.

Although this requires a fair amount of dilligence in tracking food and exercise, it has one main advantage - it doesn't require you to make really sweeping changes to your eating habits. You can still have the BC burger platter at white spot, you just need to remember that it accounts for about 900 calories, and that you only have 450~ more to eat that day.

It's all about maintaining balance.

This is particularly effective for me - I like to eat a lot of trash food - using this app gives me a visual aid and helps keep me motivated. Maybe I want a piece of cake, but it will put me over my limit for the day - this will compell me to exercise ("I had that piece of cake earlier - if I don't exercise, then I won't account for those calories") or to give that piece of cake up today, and have it some other day. ("I know I'm not going to feel like going for a run later, so I probably shouldn't eat that piece of cake")

The best tip I can give you all is to not make changes to you life that you know you can't keep, and don't sacrifice too many things you like to stick to a diet. If you don't allow yourself treats or cut yourself completely off from things you enjoy, then you will find the price being paid is too high, and break you diet, or you will allow yourself to overindulge at some later time, doing more damage then simply rewarding yourself occasionally.

If you drink a lot of cola, try replacing it with a low-cal or no-cal alternative. every morning you get a mocha on the way to work? get it with non-fat milk, and skip the whip cream.

You can make a huge dent in your daily calorie intake just by switching the things you enjoy out for better alternatives - you don't have to give them up entirely.

(my example, I used to go to starbucks twice a day. Now I only go once. I used to get a grande java chip frappuccino (460 cals) - now I get an iced venti non-fat no-whip mocha (250 cals.) I used to get pizza or subway for lunch (400-1200 cals) now I get sushi (200 cals) or soup/chilli (3-400 cals) or even a small cheseburger (380 cals) for lunch.)

You will find sweeping changes to be very hard to stick to, so don't make a change you can't live with - just make wise choices, and exercise regularly. (that means you can eat a little more of the things you like!)

-m

I am not angry at you.
Timelady
First Video: Deeply Religious

Postby Timelady » 27 Apr 2009, 12:42

I'm 5'7 and about 190 lbs right now, which is up about 15-25 from normal. I think school is a big part of it; I've had so many papers this semester that I feel guilty (whether it makes sense or not) if I'm not at the computer, and I know I'm stress eating.

I'd love to lose 20 pounds and at least get back to my usual weight this summer and I'm going to try for 40-50 by September.

Plan: 1. Regular exercise--there are plenty of excercise machines around the house, it's just finding the time & energy to use them. I just wish there was a safe place to go walking.
2. Cut out the between-meal snacks. If I have to, I can switch from candy to fruit juice. I know it works, and honestly, I like it better.

edit: right, switch from fruit juice to candy. Yeah, that would make me healthier. :P
Last edited by Timelady on 27 Apr 2009, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.
AmazingPjotrMan wrote:Bacon is not a chronological entity.

Return to “General Discussion”