Lightsaber Goes Where?

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
WTDavies

Lightsaber Goes Where?

Postby WTDavies » 27 Apr 2009, 20:15

The internet has informed me that BioWare are cracking down on the gayfolk.

Forum discussions pertaining to the serious business of roleplaying same sex relationships in the forthcoming KOTOR MMO have been comprehensibly shut down and related words such as "gay" and "lesbian" have been censored. The reasoning supplied by BioWare community staff seems to be that such things do not happen in the galaxy far, far away.

This strikes me as odd for a studio that has produced a fair number of titles where romantic relationships amongst characters of both persuasions have been something of a key feature. Perhaps LucasArts throwing its weight about the place might account for this development?

Discuss.
Moo hoo ha ha.
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Re: Lightsaber Goes Where?

Postby Genghis Ares » 27 Apr 2009, 20:18

Isn't it EA that is publishing as well as owner of Bioware now.
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 27 Apr 2009, 20:32

we've come so far. :D
Fuzzyfreaker
First Video: CSI: CSI

Postby Fuzzyfreaker » 27 Apr 2009, 20:45

Obviously Bioware hasn't seen the new Hutt character in Clone Wars.
WTDavies

Postby WTDavies » 27 Apr 2009, 21:17

Genghis Ares wrote:Isn't it EA that is publishing as well as owner of Bioware now.

Yes, I believe that is the case now.
Moo hoo ha ha.
Genghis Ares

Postby Genghis Ares » 27 Apr 2009, 21:32

I wonder if its EA then. Or just Bioware.

Also, what is with all the gay stuff going on with games. Microsoft banning accounts/Gamertags, Lionhead getting sued for supposed harrassment, and now this.
Cade Antilles
First Video: Man Cooking - The Gigantor

Postby Cade Antilles » 27 Apr 2009, 21:38

Fuzzyfreaker wrote:Obviously Bioware hasn't seen the new Hutt character in Clone Wars.

Uh oh! Time to educate someone on Hutt reproduction!

Hutt's are an asexual species (kinda like slugs, go figure), and therefore, they do not possess a gender. They do, however, take on "genders" when they decide to create offspring. Unlike slugs, Hutts self-generate offspring that they then carry for a pregnancy term. At this stage, Hutts adopt female pronouns (she/her) and are thought of as "female" although the term only loosely applies. Some Hutts, even when not pregnant, will identify with and adopt feminine concepts (make-up and jewelry, for example) but not use the feminine pronouns. Using the pronouns denotes pregnancy, therefore using them when not pregnant would be illogical and derogatory to them.

As for the main issue of this thread, Bioware is correct in that same-sex relationships and homosexuality do not appear within the SW Universe. Their censorship of the issue is a little extreme, but understandable. It would be very difficult to maintain civility on the forums without the censorship. It is unfortunate that it needs to be done this way, but, again, I understand.

I have no problem with people introducing same-sex relationships into their Star Wars Role Playing. Or even into any RPG or fan-fiction. I fully endorse their freedoms to play the way they want to play. But, the people that do must understand and be cognizant of the conservative nature of much of the world. They have to be willing to ease it into the public eye.
"May the Force rock you!"

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
WTDavies

Postby WTDavies » 27 Apr 2009, 21:43

Genghis Ares wrote:I wonder if its EA then. Or just Bioware.

It might be part of the license terms with LucasArts which, given BioWare's track record and the whole "these terms do not exist in star wars" thing, might not be too far of the mark.
Moo hoo ha ha.
Genghis Ares

Postby Genghis Ares » 27 Apr 2009, 23:13

That whole "it doesn't exist in star wars" is such a load of crap. I can imagine a bunch of jackasses sitting around a table and coming up with that.

Person 1: "How about we say there's no homosexuality in Star Wars?"
Person 2: "Perfect."
Person 3: "I don't know, that sounds retarded."
Person 1: "Nuh-uh."
Person 2: "Yeah, they'll believe whatever we say. This will be foolproof."
whyarecarrots

Postby whyarecarrots » 28 Apr 2009, 00:54

Seems a bit strange, especially given what we've been hearing about them writing in gay relationships into the second Mass Effect.

However, I think we also need to remember that this is the internet, and that the forums for that game will no doubt be quite large because this game has a lot of hype around it: do any of you really expect these discussions to go smoothly at all times with none of the homophobic bigotry so typical of the internet? Not all forums are like these: hell, the Escapist can be bad enough and I think that's one of the more mature forums out there. Maybe the mods just realised that it was more trouble than it was worth thoroughly moderating these threads, and instead are taking the blanket ban approach to prevent any homophobic comments.

Excessive, maybe, and I'm not agreeing that that would be the best way to deal with the problem, but I'm just trying to show a different perspective here to simply saying that the forums mods just don't like homosexuality.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:Real men don't sleep!

INSOMNIA IS MANLY! HAAAH!
Cade Antilles

Postby Cade Antilles » 28 Apr 2009, 07:51

Genghis Ares wrote:That whole "it doesn't exist in star wars" is such a load of crap. I can imagine a bunch of jackasses sitting around a table and coming up with that.

So, why don't you prove them (and me) wrong by providing evidence instead of just saying they're bullshiting jackasses?

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 28 Apr 2009, 07:56

Cade Antilles wrote:
Genghis Ares wrote:That whole "it doesn't exist in star wars" is such a load of crap. I can imagine a bunch of jackasses sitting around a table and coming up with that.

So, why don't you prove them (and me) wrong by providing evidence instead of just saying they're bullshiting jackasses?

Luke and Han, on the Millennium Falcon. Chewie watched.

Yeah, I went there.

I mean seriously... "proof" of homosexual relationships in SW... geez.

Edit; You piqued my interest. A two second search of Wookiepedia "prooves" that Mandalorians are totally gay; http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mandalorian#Family_and_women
Cade Antilles

Postby Cade Antilles » 28 Apr 2009, 08:49

metcarfre wrote:I mean seriously... "proof" of homosexual relationships in SW... geez.

Edit; You piqued my interest. A two second search of Wookiepedia "prooves" that Mandalorians are totally gay; http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mandalorian#Family_and_women

No, I'm serious. If their argument is that homosexuality does not appear, and therefore does not exist, in Star Wars, then evidence to the contrary is important.

And, there it is, maybe. Now, I may have to read Boba Fett: A Practical Man in order to verify the claims of the Wookiepedia. I had skipped it because e-novellas do not interest me. If it were confirmed, in a canon source, that Goran Beviin and Medrit Vasur are truly homosexuals, then Bioware should be made aware of it. This would invalidate their argument.

Genghis Ares

Postby Genghis Ares » 28 Apr 2009, 11:39

The thing is though, there are a ton of things that aren't in Star Wars that are probably being talked about on the forums with nobody bitching about it. I've never seen Ice Cream in SW, how about they block that from being typed. How about cell phones or plasma screen TVs or Xboxes and Playstations. Are we not allowed to talk about those things.
Cade Antilles

Postby Cade Antilles » 28 Apr 2009, 13:56

Genghis Ares wrote:The thing is though, there are a ton of things that aren't in Star Wars that are probably being talked about on the forums with nobody bitching about it. I've never seen Ice Cream in SW, how about they block that from being typed. How about cell phones or plasma screen TVs or Xboxes and Playstations. Are we not allowed to talk about those things.

Those things aren't controversial topics that are likely to lead to ignorant and intolerant commentaries. Homosexuality is a topic that can quickly lead to raised blood pressures. In order to be fair to all of those that post within their forums, they must clamp down on everything. It's all or nothing.

Since they want to keep a family friendly environment, and heated discussions over social issues tend to be otherwise, they need to eliminate it entirely. Their stated rationale for the censorship is flawed, but they've still reached a preferred outcome. If people want to discuss homosexuality in Star Wars, they can do it, but somewhere else.

whyarecarrots

Postby whyarecarrots » 28 Apr 2009, 14:10

Lyinginbedmon wrote:Real men don't sleep!

INSOMNIA IS MANLY! HAAAH!
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 28 Apr 2009, 15:06

Cade Antilles wrote: In order to be fair to all of those that post within their forums, they must clamp down on everything. It's all or nothing.

Are heterosexual relationships allowed?

If so, this premise is false.

BUT, we've had this SAME conversation before (recall the lady who was suspended from Live for calling herself a lesbian) so this one will probably pan out in the same manner.

Edit; here it is http://loadingreadyrun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8301&start=0&hilit=lesbian Oh look, that one got locked. Big surprise.
Cade Antilles

Postby Cade Antilles » 28 Apr 2009, 16:53

*sigh* When I said "everything", I guess I meant was "all discussions related to homosexual relationships". If they want to make it "fair", then they can't just let one side of the issue "win". Everyone loses. And yes, if they want to eliminate talk about any and all relationships, then yes, let them censor it all.

As is becoming readily apparent, this discussion is raising my blood pressure (and I can only imagine others' as well) and going nowhere fast! Hey! LRR Crew? Please lock this thing down before it gets out of control!

Edit: Thank you whyarecarrots for posting that update. At least, it seems, that Bioware had some sense knocked into them.

Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 28 Apr 2009, 17:03

This kinda reminds me of that time that Marvel (or maybe DC) said no one masturbated in their comics' universe.

Really I don't see why either matter.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 28 Apr 2009, 20:28

it is bullshit that things like this are sensored

its also bullshit that people dont just deal with it.
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
Dark the Reaper
First Video: Desert Bus 1

Postby Dark the Reaper » 30 Apr 2009, 09:20

so if "gay" is censored what would you do if you speak in old English, and you want to express how fun and happy a person you are?
draco

Postby draco » 02 May 2009, 14:09

it is aloud now

Return to “Video Games”