Recession and employment, where do you stand?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
ZephCrow

Recession and employment, where do you stand?

Postby ZephCrow » 02 May 2009, 08:05

In the midst of the decline of the economy, we've all seen more and more perfectly suitable employees laid off or turned away from a company. It seems that every day, another locally owned store or even unsuccessful chain stores see the last lights of business with sales before closing their doors.

At this point, since being laid off in December, I am still doing my best to find a job. I submit an average of eight resumes and applications per day for over four months and only received one call-back interview from which I never heard anything of. Most companies are looking for either individuals who are very experienced, no no one at all. Retail only keeps the "Now hiring" signs in their windows at the order of their corporate headquarters.

My questions are, is there anyone here on the forums struggling in this same position? How has the decline in economy affected you? Do you have any advice for those in the same position?
Hakaryu

Re: Recession and employment, where do you stand?

Postby Hakaryu » 02 May 2009, 08:07

I just got hired as a cook at a new resteraunt opening in June. Business in my city is actually growing a bit.
Tonberry's poked the dutch again.
ZephCrow

Postby ZephCrow » 02 May 2009, 08:15

Hakaryu wrote:I just got hired as a cook at a new resteraunt opening in June. Business in my city is actually growing a bit.

That's good to hear. I know that some areas are starting to pick up, while others are just starting to get to the worst of it. It's really sad to hear about more and more large companies having to force layoffs in the mean time.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 02 May 2009, 08:22

I've been rehired by GAME and I earn quite a bit from it, £100-£200 a week. I'm okay.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 02 May 2009, 08:41

I stand in my past and present situation of being an unemployed student.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 02 May 2009, 08:43

I've always had a hard/impossible time finding jobs regardless on how the economy is going.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
Joshua
First Video: Dont remember

Postby Joshua » 02 May 2009, 08:45

I lost my job, a while ago from them cutting hours, and now no one is hiring, and I'm in debt from wrecking a car, can't find a job around this town. I just don't have enough experience in anything, and unskilled laborers aren't in high demand.
We feel free when we escape--even if it be but from the frying pan into the fire.
Raine
First Video: underpantloons

Postby Raine » 02 May 2009, 09:01

I know how hard it is. But I am SUPER lucky By having 2 jobs. BUT be for i get the hate mail let me try to explain
the first job is 15 hours more once in a while as a kennel tech. the 2ed is dealing with a dick of an uncle. that's 30ish depending oh his mood.
Even with that i still cut close to pay bills...
G+ <-- Its a link, yo!
Be Strong!
Be Pleasant.
Be Unwavering!
Be Smart.
Be Awesome!
Awareness! It was under ‘E’!
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 02 May 2009, 09:06

I've been looking for a job for about two and a half years now. I had a temporary position at Target, and I've worked at the movie theatre, but at the moment, I'm not making enough money to pay for my student loans for my useless education.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
CommanderKeen
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby CommanderKeen » 02 May 2009, 09:13

I got my cruise ship job in February and I'm fairly certain it's not going away anytime soon. Seniors are still spending money on cruises, and apparently college kids have the money to go cruising during spring break. So as long as there is spending like that for vacations. I'm doing alright. Despite this whole global recession thing.
Kdz
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby Kdz » 02 May 2009, 09:21

I was unemployed for a while after Circuit City closed. But I just recently got a part-time job. It pays the bills, so I wont complain much, but I'd like to have something full-time. At least I'm not on a swing schedule anymore, and my hours are pretty consistent.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 02 May 2009, 09:59

King Kool wrote:I've been looking for a job for about two and a half years now. I had a temporary position at Target, and I've worked at the movie theatre, but at the moment, I'm not making enough money to pay for my student loans for my useless education.

Over here you only have to pay back student loans when you're actually capable, and after a couple decades it's completely written off even if you haven't paid it back.

As my dad puts it the government almost literally gives you money for your education.

Then again there are limits, in fact he makes so much money right now that by law he has to contribute more money to me for education. :D
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Cureless_Poison
First Video: Fun with microwaves.

Postby Cureless_Poison » 02 May 2009, 10:05

I don't know anyone who's lost their jobs and I've had no trouble landing a summer job ahead of time. Recession = Bullshit from my perspective.
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 02 May 2009, 10:08

'tis rooted and getting a lot worse here.
i am without a job. i may have a 16 hour a week one soon. yay.
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 02 May 2009, 10:20

Depends on where you are really: In western Canada theres still such a boom here that the recession has only had a mild impact.

I'm still employed.
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 02 May 2009, 10:32

I'm still employed, but at reduced hours because there's been not much to do. This is picking up in the past few weeks, which is nice.

I have to second that a lot of the job offers out there are asking for much higher levels of experience than they seemed to be earlier. I'm seriously thinking of throwing my hat in and opening my own business (a cafe or something, dunno) because fuck it, if nobody will let me work for them, I'll do it my own goddamn self.

[Insert discussion of risk of owning your own shop, how much work it is, etc. here, I am fully aware thanks.]
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 02 May 2009, 10:35

The 'far east' of Canada's doing just fine, too; Hebron oil field project is gearing up, and White Rose & Hibernia are literally pumping gobs and gobs of revenue into the region; just remember all you jingoists don't have to be at the mercy of 'towel-heads' due to your oil consumption. :twisted:

My grocery store is doing just fine - we're hiring on a handful of students for the summer, so my hours will be cut back very slightly (25/wk instead of 30/wk) for about a month to accommodate the trainees, just like every other year I've been here.

I just wish I could do my job sitting down - rainy, damp day today meant my arthritic knees decided to stop working about an hour before the end of my shift. :?
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 02 May 2009, 12:01

Sable wrote:I'm still employed, but at reduced hours because there's been not much to do. This is picking up in the past few weeks, which is nice.

I have to second that a lot of the job offers out there are asking for much higher levels of experience than they seemed to be earlier. I'm seriously thinking of throwing my hat in and opening my own business (a cafe or something, dunno) because fuck it, if nobody will let me work for them, I'll do it my own goddamn self.

[Insert discussion of risk of owning your own shop, how much work it is, etc. here, I am fully aware thanks.]

Hey, if you're serious it could work out, and you'll have no shortage of people to hire, I imagine. Cafe's are cool places to hang out, too, or at least cafe/coffe shops. You deffinatlye need huge carnivorous armchairs and sofas for people to sit on (carnivorous because they almost swallow you when you sit on them), I love those chairs.

Myself, I am un-employed. I want to work in comics, but I seriously doubt any local newspapers or other publications are gonna be looking to hire a cartonist right now, and I really really do not want to work retail again. With those things in mind I'm prepaparing my portfolio in order to bother comic company editors with it ;)
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 02 May 2009, 12:26

The recession was pretty irrelevant to me while I was away, but now I am back, unemployed and looking for something on the island. Just for four months though, because I have something set up for September (though it pays peanuts!)

I am enjoying my unemployed-ness at the moment.
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 02 May 2009, 12:49

I've got seniority and a union. I'm safe, get paid lots of money, and have great benefits. I'm super lucky that this recession hasn't hit me, but it's hit a lot of my close friends. They are being laid off left right center.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
Tensen01
Sketchasaurus Rex
First Video: Who Watches Movies?

Postby Tensen01 » 02 May 2009, 13:03

I'm working a retail job in a position that requires training... and I've been at this job for coming up on 5 years... While I'd like to change jobs right now I'm gonna be doing my damndest to keep it until such a time as I can easily find another one.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 02 May 2009, 13:11

My friend got laid off because he worked in a bike store. Less people buying bikes, big recession, store shut down. In fact, all of Maryhill shopping center has shut down, leaving only a post office. Springburn's getting the same way but not as bad. We still have Gregg's.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Annchan

Postby Annchan » 02 May 2009, 13:28

I'm a stay at home mom so I don't think I am going to lose my job. The Hubby is an electrician in the union so I think we're pretty safe.
Don't really see the recession over here....
Chemistring

Postby Chemistring » 02 May 2009, 13:59

I was laid off at the end of January, two months into a new job. It was a hell of a shock, and a last minute decision for my company as well, but they had most of their contracts for winter/spring cancelled in December, so no work = no money = no way to pay workers.

Depends on where you are really: In western Canada theres still such a boom here that the recession has only had a mild impact.

That depends on your field. Not really much out there for Ph.D. chemists, and the oil service industry has slowed right down, at least as far as research goes. :cry:
Fuzzyfreaker
First Video: CSI: CSI

Postby Fuzzyfreaker » 02 May 2009, 14:17

I'm returning to my job at GameStop in the next few weeks. I'm trying to find something else, but it's tough out there right now. Submitted an application to a website for a film news writing job, but they haven't made their choice yet.

But I'm just sticking with what I got, so I can get enough to keep on this whole college shindig.

Return to “General Discussion”