Anyone play Guild Wars?

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
JesterJ.

Re: Anyone play Guild Wars?

Postby JesterJ. » 29 Apr 2009, 19:09

It just feels so clunky.

...And you can't jump. I'll jump all fucking day in WoW. That's the thing that really annoyed me the most about GW.
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
Brinson

Postby Brinson » 29 Apr 2009, 20:16

I just bought GW and the expansion, installing now.

I was thinking of either going Monk or elementalist.
Kag

Postby Kag » 29 Apr 2009, 21:23

I've all the campaigns but not Eye of the North.

I've come down with the WoW lately, so I haven't been on much, but I'm a fairly competent monk. If a runners guild gets started I'll probably join up.
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 29 Apr 2009, 21:24

I though I could jump... I vaguely remember jumping... but I could be remembering wrong.

Ah, I remember when I used to play with my friend and we threw a naked party in the center of town. Good times, good times.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 29 Apr 2009, 21:47

Well, you can /jump, but it's really not the same.

I guess if people start playing, I might start something up. I got one of the expansions for free (I think Eye of the North?). If people stick with it, we'll see.
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 30 Apr 2009, 18:49

I'm online now ya'll
notomtolose

Postby notomtolose » 01 May 2009, 13:59

I DL'd the trial. I can't play tonight, but possibly tomorrow or Sunday evenings.

I'm completely new to the game. How do I find you guys? Also, what classes are everyone playing? I will choose my class to compliment y'all
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 01 May 2009, 15:33

I have a lvl 20 Ranger, but I only have Nightfall.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 01 May 2009, 15:54

I'll dig out my disks and install it tomorrow :)

The character build I enjoyed the most was a Warrior/Illusionist, but that said I never actually got that far with him.

I'll also figure out how to switch to the US servers, which could prove helpfull if I want to play with you guys ;)
Brinson

Postby Brinson » 01 May 2009, 19:30

Yeah, I made a Monk named Sloth Foot, add me to friends. Waiting for James to get the game, my other roommate made a warrior.
curbee

Postby curbee » 02 May 2009, 04:46

The Jester wrote:I'll dig out my disks and install it tomorrow :)

The character build I enjoyed the most was a Warrior/Illusionist, but that said I never actually got that far with him.

I'll also figure out how to switch to the US servers, which could prove helpfull if I want to play with you guys ;)

In the top left corner in a city, you see how it says something like "International 1"? You can click that to bring down a dropdown menu to change your location. My friends did this all the time when we couldn't find enough people on the US server to pug with.
The Jester

Postby The Jester » 02 May 2009, 06:09

Oh cool, I'll try that out. Thanks :)

Btw, what's pug mean?
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 02 May 2009, 13:05

Pick-Up Group. The bane of the game in my eyes. No co-ordination, no strategy, just charge in and pull everything. Fast way to die, fast way to want to kill.

I've completed every last section of it. Prophecies was the greatest for me. It all went downhill from there and Eye of the North, considering how much they charged for it, was abysmally bad. It was actually the nail in the coffin for me and I moved on to WoW for a year. Beat all that, got bored and tried GW again very recently. I still love the Prophecies story. Prince of Persia was also Rurik if I remember right.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
The Jester

Postby The Jester » 02 May 2009, 14:28

Oh cool, thanks dude. I have Nightfall and Factions but haven't installed them yet. I'm Aldous Weaver on American server 4, but I can move easily enough ;)

I'm a Warrior and I enjoyed the abilities Mesmer opend up, but if anyone has a better combo of classes let me know :)
curbee

Postby curbee » 02 May 2009, 20:04

W/Mo/Me for Echo Mending is ftw.
Nwar

Postby Nwar » 02 May 2009, 20:16

Its seriously a game where you either play solo or have alot of people who are willign to play with you on a regular basis.

I have been playing it for about a year and half still now though, mainly because I just make new characters. I've all the campaigns, and running my Assassin, The Alacrity through Factions right now.

Prophecies is great, but getting through the story...can become quite a bit of a chore when you have too many characters. EOTN's dungeon running remains fun when you can get a great group together (unfortunately this rarely happens)
The Jester

Postby The Jester » 03 May 2009, 01:48

Is that Warrior, Monk and Mesmer, or Monk or Mesmer, curbee?

Because I wasn't aware of being able to take three professions, but that could just be becasue I've only had a character up to lvl 4 :P
Nwar

Postby Nwar » 03 May 2009, 06:59

Echo mending is just spamming mending (even though it can only be used once on someone). The skill notoriously blows and its a joke in GW to use it lol.

Warrior/Paragons, and Warrior/Dervish, or maybe a pet with Warrior/Ranger. The warrior's skill set is pretty independent on its own though to deal with pretty much any situation without the help of other secondaries. But Conjure skills with the right weapon and Elementalist secondary can add a huge buff to your attacks

Usually straying away from W/Mo isn't favored because it takes time away from tanking and dealing damage (plus your regular monk henchmen and heroes have you way more than covered)
The Jester

Postby The Jester » 03 May 2009, 07:11

What do the Paragon and Dervish classes bring? And what would the 'right' weapon be? I've been favouring damage dealing classes or characters lately, as a rule, so would it be better to go for something like the rogue class? Having said I like damage, I also like not to be horribly squishy (think CoH's scrapper), and I also quite like ranged damage, although WoW's ranger calss was pretty dull, imo. I guess I just really like the blaster class in CoH.
Nwar

Postby Nwar » 03 May 2009, 08:03

Warrior's don't really too much damage, they still take their role as the tank.

Elementalist does a ridiculous amount of damage (with skills like Searing Flames and Savannah Heat, both of which are nightfall).

Dervish has the ability to hit 3 adjacent opponents with any regular attack and attack skills, so with the right buff skills you do a high DPS to who you hit, problem is they only have 70 armor. But they do have a number of enchants that could be useful for a warrior

Paragons are the buffers of the group. From my experience, to take them as a primary class is an absolute BORE. However, they do use adredaline like Warriors so they are useful for buffing with shouts and such as a secondary.

Assassins have really high DPS against one person, and with Death Blossom, pretty much all around you. They are a blast to play but the problem is.... they are absurdly frail. If you run into disenchants, consider yourself dead.

Rangers with barrage and the right team however, can do an absurd amount of AOE or spike damage. My main is my ranger, and I swap between the two styles depending on the mission/quest/whatever.

As for weapons, if you are going high physical damage, Rangers: Recurve Bow, or Shortbow, Warrior use whatever skills you can throw the best bar together use a weapon of that type, and for Assassins and Dervishes, use their regular weapons,daggers and scythes respectively.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 03 May 2009, 09:11

With the buffs to a Factions skill called Dragon Slash, they can pretty much spam it with skills like For Great Justice and Tiger Stance to keep the adrenaline flowing. This is pretty much consistent damage for the next 10 or so seconds.

Elementalists, although having a highly offensive element such as fire, can also be used for defence. I play an earth elementalist on hard mode to provide wards for my party, blinding any melee enemies to stop them so much as touching us and using a sandstorm to tear apart enemies that bundle together.

Some vital advice to ANY new player: Don't forget your two 15 attribute points quests.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Nwar

Postby Nwar » 03 May 2009, 19:32

We should totally get everyone on LRR to help each other out, it certainly makes going through the game way more fun. What's everyones username? My main is The Dawning, but I'm playing through The Alacrity at the moment.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 04 May 2009, 03:29

Lord Darkobra. Earth or Fire elementalist, depending on mission/difficulty. If you're struggling with something, I'll give you advice. If you're REALLY struggling, I'll help you in the mission.

I'm also never on the game anymore so just drop me a message here.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
curbee

Postby curbee » 04 May 2009, 20:27

I've played almost all of the classes and warriors' best PvE build is a knockdown build usine Earthshaker. But I didn't like that build that much so I ended up going with this Dragon Slash spamming build which I found was really fun.
Thysane

Postby Thysane » 05 May 2009, 10:03

Well, I have all of the expansions but Eye of the North, and I hardly play it at all these days, mostly 'cos of the lack of people I know who play it. I never got into the PvP, but the PvE side of things is always compelling when trekking around with a solid group. I already have a guild, (with 3 members, one of which is the one who mostly goes online i.e. me), and I don't really want to dissolve it (just in case), so I'd be willing to form an Alliance with a dedicated LRR guild, as long as someone has the wedge to organise it.

Return to “Video Games”