LRRcast for has this ever happened to you

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
James
LRR Crew

LRRcast for has this ever happened to you

Postby James » 03 May 2009, 21:51

HERE WE GOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Patriot

Re: LRRcast for has this ever happened to you

Postby Patriot » 03 May 2009, 22:23

Will LRR be Moran-less? The suspense is killing me.
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 03 May 2009, 22:41

I'd say that FF4 more established the JRPG than FF6 or 7 (and 6 was better than both of them and is great and i hate you all for dissing it [even though you really didn't]). While the graphics were primitive, it utilized the same storytelling concepts, with 'cinematic' cut-scenes and dialog heavy storytelling. Final Fantasy 7 didn't do that much different that 4, 5, or 6 didn't. (Major character death, for example, was used in all three. Heck, it was in FF2 on the NES.)

Also I agree with Matt to an extent, Half Life 2 and even 1 are not that groundbreaking, but Half-Life (as in, the first one) was one of best uses of narrative in a first person shooter, and I actually prefer it to the sequel.

I'd add to your suggestions my holy trinity of PC gaming: Deus Ex, Descent: Freespace 2, and Starcraft: Broodwar.
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 03 May 2009, 23:41

Half-Life 2 may not be groundbreaking but I think itts a great culmination of what the pinnacle FPS should be.

Also, in regards to Escape Velocity, Freelancer seems to be close, although I only played a little bit of EV and a lot of Freelancer(which I think is fantastic).

Also Also, have you guys thought about trying to seriously make a dent in ASKLRR questions. I think you're like 15 pages behind. Which is like 4 1/2 months.
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 03 May 2009, 23:50

I agree with Cybren: Though 6 and 7 are better, 4 was the real quantum leap for the FF series and JRPG's in general.

No 2D platformers? I'd nominate DKC2, Yoshi's island and Super Mario world.
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 04 May 2009, 01:28

sdhonda wrote:No 2D platformers? I'd nominate DKC2, Yoshi's island and Super Mario world.

I would definitely nominate those.
Keith K
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Keith K » 04 May 2009, 02:05

In regard to Final Fantasy VII: If you play it on PSP, you can reassign the D-Pad to the analog. It's now my preferred way to play the game.

Unfortunately it's not an available option to everyone yet. Hopefully that will change in the near future.
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 04 May 2009, 02:50

I agree w/ Cybren about FFIV, except that the graphics were primitive. The graphics are now primitive, but at the time that was as good as (if not slightly better than) what everyone else was doing in 1991.

However, to trace it even further back, you can go back to Dragon Warrior/Quest, which was certainly influential in console role playing, and, if not created show, showed there was even a market for Final Fantasy.

...I'm not sure I'm entirely comfortable with people going back and editing their questions so that they're relevant...
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Keith K

Postby Keith K » 04 May 2009, 04:21

sdhonda wrote:I agree with Cybren: Though 6 and 7 are better, 4 was the real quantum leap for the FF series and JRPG's in general.

FF4 wasn't a huge leap if you had played (or even seen) FF3. Many of the sprites were slightly upgraded versions of those from FF3. Many of the nagging mechanical tweaks took effect first in 3. The job system was implemented in 3. In many ways, 4 was a step backward to a simpler story based game rather than a step forward in gameplay.

It was the first JPRG I'd ever played that had a true narrative and character development though.
InsaneFool
First Video: How to Talk like a Pirate

Postby InsaneFool » 04 May 2009, 04:24

In reply to the comment that people don't really make money off of piracy in Canada: You've clearly never been to a flea market. There is always a shady guy hocking CLEARLY pirated DVDs for $10 a pop.
Personal Fail Count: 3ish? (So Far)
Follow me on Twitter
Keith K

Postby Keith K » 04 May 2009, 04:28

InsaneFool wrote:In reply to the comment that people don't really make money off of piracy in Canada: You've clearly never been to a flea market. There is always a shady guy hocking CLEARLY pirated DVDs for $10 a pop.

The exact same scenario exists in the United States and likely every other country on the face of the planet.
anim3z0mbi3

Postby anim3z0mbi3 » 04 May 2009, 07:07

I wonder where Morgan's going? also, is world of goo REALLY worth buying? i'm not sure about it.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 04 May 2009, 08:17

InsaneFool wrote:In reply to the comment that people don't really make money off of piracy in Canada: You've clearly never been to a flea market. There is always a shady guy hocking CLEARLY pirated DVDs for $10 a pop.

My statement was that you see businesses (like actual retail stores) built around selling pirated product a whole lot less often here, not that it doesn't happen at all.

------------------------

Regarding final fantasy games:

It's clear, looking at the gameplay of FF7, that it is the culmination of elements taken from the previous final fantasy titles, and that it draws most heavily on the system behind 6 (which itself drew elements from 4 and 5).

However, we were alking about Influence on the genre and historical noteworthiness, not "the first game to do it".

It was final fantasy 7 that resulted in the JRPG explosion on the PSX - it was popular, it was cinematic, and it's battlesystem was uncomplicated and easy to learn. It was very basic, and allowed a lot of new gamers to experience a game genre that had been a little obtuse to that point in time.

It was also easily replicated and modified, it laid the groundwork for what a JRPG "should look like" and was the template upon which JRPGS were built for some time after.

the significance of FF7 is not any one elemnt of it's design, nor is it diminished by the fact that it was an evolution of games before it - it was a turning point for the genre, and as far as we're concerned, a must-play for anyone wanting to complete gaaming's 'required reading' list.

-----------

additionally, I never said that halflife 1 and 2 aren't groundbreaking - in fact, I think they are. I just don't get the same "omg you HAVE to play this" feel from them that I do from other historiacl games.

-m

I am not angry at you.
goat

Postby goat » 04 May 2009, 08:25

No mentions for Quake, Doom, or CS for the FPS? They weren't necessarily ground break per se, but they definitely exemplify certain elements of the genre. If you were trying to get someone well versed in video games, I think they'd be worth at least exposing the person to them.

Also, I totally forgot today was cHustle Day (damned finals).
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 04 May 2009, 08:33

Regarding what I said above regarding final fantasy 7: think of FF7 like an important historical text. You'll learn what you need from the text book. If you want more detail, you can look through the references section, and read the documents that fed the knowledge contained in the text (older ff games).

-m

I am not angry at you.
Fuzzyfreaker
First Video: CSI: CSI

Postby Fuzzyfreaker » 04 May 2009, 08:54

All in all, in Mirror's Edge, you only need to fight the cops in the area where you destroy the computers. Other than that, you never need to fight 'em. Not to mention, the game is far more fun if you try to beat each level without using guns.

Give it a try.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 04 May 2009, 08:59

Fuzzyfreaker wrote:All in all, in Mirror's Edge, you only need to fight the cops in the area where you destroy the computers. Other than that, you never need to fight 'em. Not to mention, the game is far more fun if you try to beat each level without using guns.

Give it a try.

I did give it a try. I was trying to play the game as a pacifist.

Not doable.

on several occasions they place you in an area with 3-4 cops, and your only escape is a swing bar or a pipe, leaving you as a sitting duck while they shred you. Poor design.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Fuzzyfreaker
First Video: CSI: CSI

Postby Fuzzyfreaker » 04 May 2009, 10:12

I'm referring to playing the game without guns, only using your melee attacks. It's not intended to be played without combat whatsoever. By attempting that you're changing the game into what you want it to be, not what it is.
Cade Antilles
First Video: Man Cooking - The Gigantor

Postby Cade Antilles » 04 May 2009, 10:16

sdhonda wrote:No 2D platformers? I'd nominate DKC2, Yoshi's island and Super Mario world.

I do believe they recommended Super Metroid. That's a 2D side-scroller/platformer.

About the "Ask LRR" Thread, what are you guys gonna do about Lyinginbedmon's and Elomin Sha's post war? There are some good questions there, and personally I didn't have a problem with their post war, but didn't it hijack the thread for a while? It just seems that a few podcasts might see a lot of exclusive air time for their questions. Maybe this question was answered before and I don't know where to look.
"May the Force rock you!"

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 04 May 2009, 10:48

Fuzzyfreaker wrote:I'm referring to playing the game without guns, only using your melee attacks. It's not intended to be played without combat whatsoever. By attempting that you're changing the game into what you want it to be, not what it is.

which is a fair claim, I suppose, but I found the melee combad was seriously underpowered for what they wanted you to do with it.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Tally
First Video: 1337 rap

Postby Tally » 04 May 2009, 14:05

anim3z0mbi3 wrote:also, is world of goo REALLY worth buying? i'm not sure about it.

Yes, I think it is. For one thing, it's a very creative and well put-together game that will appeal to all those who enjoy solving puzzles. It's downloadable for Mac and Windows, and therefor a great option for playing in those quiet, dull moments at work, or when your girlfriend/boyfriend is hogging the TV and console to play - just as a random example - RE5.

At $20 it's not a huge expense, I believe you will get $20 of entertainment out of it, plus you'll be supporting a couple of highly creative independent gamemakers.

So that's why I say you should buy it. And also because it's AWESOME.
notomtolose

Postby notomtolose » 04 May 2009, 14:45

Hmm... the video discussion seemed a little shallow. I'll listen again tomorrow (I listen at work, time is not a factor). I suppose it was Graham who promised more detail, though, and he wasn't there. :)

Keith K wrote:In regard to Final Fantasy VII: If you play it on PSP, you can reassign the D-Pad to the analog. It's now my preferred way to play the game.

My preferred way to play FFVII is on the PC, in 640x480 and with the improved english translation. It's surprising how few people know about it, considering the game's popularity and devoted following.

Regarding Mirror's Edge, I actually read an interview wherein the designers lamented putting the 'Test of Faith' achievement in the game. Playing without guns was just supposed to be an extra challenge for the hardcore, NOT the de facto standard play mode.

My thinking is, if they'd wanted you to play without guns, they wouldn't have let you pick them up in the first place. Having heard the same buzz as you guys, and also having played the game through without guns, I must confess I regret it just a little bit. I'm sure I'd have had more fun just playing it normally.

Considering the Gamers' Education question, my fast answer would be...

FFVII for JRPGs. It established the template for the modern JRPG genre. It is also relatively simple, which is important if we're trying to teach someone new about the genre. History tells us that FFVII is an excellent gateway to JRPGs.

Ocarina of Time for third-person action/adventure titles. God of War, Ninja Gaiden, etc. are all WAY too complex for newcomers. Ocarina is intuitive, classic, and deeply historic. Imagine life without lock-on cameras, and you have life before Ocarina.

For platformers, we are clearly talking SMB 3, World and/or 64. I know some among the LRR crew are Mario 64 blasphemers, but this is their forum, so I will restrain myself. ;)

I think Half-Life 2 is the best choice of single-player FPS, but only if you include the available Episodes in the bargain. Failing that, I'd probably say BioShock. Less historic, but I definitely prefer it overall.

For multiplayer it depends on platform - one of the Halo games would be the best beginners' choice on console (I'm partial to Halo 2, myself). There's an argument to be made which dictates the FPS belongs on the PC, however, from an historic and/or an educational perspective. I don't play any action games at all on PC, so I wouldn't know what to choose in that case. Probably CounterStrike?

In the world of strategy, StarCraft is obviously the go-to RTS. 40% of Koreans can't be wrong. (No, I don't know the real statistic, but it is similarly ludicrous.)

When it comes to turn-based games, I want to say Civilization II (or III or IV), but I'm not sufficiently educated myself, on that score.

Well, all I know is, if someone told me they'd played all of those games, I couldn't say their experience wasn't well-rounded. I don't think there's much in modern gaming that they wouldn't be equipped to understand.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 04 May 2009, 15:10

I find your lack of super metroid disturbing.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 04 May 2009, 15:16

Seriously. Metroid (and well most Castlevanias) are kind of a genre of themselves. There's not a lot of series like them that I can't think of. Only those mediocre Mega Man Zero games on the GBA.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 04 May 2009, 16:21

When does Morgan leave?
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009

Return to “LRRcast”