Sword of Truth

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Sword of Truth

Postby iamafish » 02 May 2009, 09:38

listening to the villainy inc. podcast with Graham and paul and Paul made a reference to 'the seeker'. i wondered whether this was a reference to the main character of Terry Goodkind's fantasy series 'the Sword of Truth'. and if so, do Graham or Paul, or any of the cast, or indeed anyone on the site read the series? if so, what do you think?

i would put this in Ask LRR, but tbh i want a reply this millennium...
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Cureless_Poison
First Video: Fun with microwaves.

Re: Sword of Truth

Postby Cureless_Poison » 02 May 2009, 10:04

Thought there was a rule against general questions you could solve with a PM?
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 02 May 2009, 10:33

He's from England, he wouldn't know. They have crazy different ways over there. Like, did you know they call french fries "chips"? Wacky!
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 02 May 2009, 10:39

And they call chips "crisps", and cookies "biscuits"...apparently they call biscuits "buns" too!

Another example: when someone stuffs their bonnet into someone else's boot, whiplash results. :shock:

MADNESS.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 02 May 2009, 10:54

~LFG~
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 02 May 2009, 11:33

oh god! i went off LFG when they started taking themselves seriously and forgetting that they were a fucking parody of terrible fantasy!

also, the question, while specifically aimed at the Graham and Paul, was open to everyone as well. I for one really like the series and i was wondering what other people thought about it and the philosophy therein.

and we do do things weirdly in england
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 02 May 2009, 12:07

Although, since we were doing it first, it's you who do things weirdly and us who are normal.
-.q
Evil Jim

Postby Evil Jim » 02 May 2009, 12:09

You realize it's "Evil Inc." right?
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Chemistring

Postby Chemistring » 02 May 2009, 14:06

Evil Jim wrote:You realize it's "Evil Inc." right?

I think he means the Villainy, Inc. podcast mentioned on the LRR Blog. I haven't listened yet, but "The Seeker" may also refer to the movie based on the Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper. (good series, can't comment on the movie)
Bob The Magic Camel

Postby Bob The Magic Camel » 02 May 2009, 14:23

Evil Jim wrote:He's from England, he wouldn't know. They have crazy different ways over there. Like, did you know they call french fries "chips"? Wacky!

Slander! We call fries fries, and chips chips. They are two separate things. We have simply chosen not to share the wonder that is chips with the colonies. You have to make do with calling crisps chips to fill the void left in your lives from the lack of thick-cut fat-fried potatoes.
This signature has been intentionally left blank.

No marks will be awarded for solutions written on this signature.
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 02 May 2009, 14:35

Chemistring wrote:

I think he means the Villainy, Inc. podcast mentioned on the LRR Blog. I haven't listened yet, but "The Seeker" may also refer to the movie based on the Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper. (good series, can't comment on the movie)

I swore I was the only one who read The Dark is Rising.

I still remember the poem at the beginning of the book...
I can't think of a signature.
Chemistring

Postby Chemistring » 02 May 2009, 15:11

CyberTractor wrote:I swore I was the only one who read The Dark is Rising.

You're not the only one. :wink: I borrowed the books from my school library when I first read them, then bought my own set later - and was amazed to have found a set since nobody else had heard of the books either.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 02 May 2009, 16:15

The Dark Is Rising is surprisingly popular in US educational systems, dependent on region. No clue why, I found the works to be boring and old-fashioned, like most of the books my school system had us read.

~Alja~
Evil Jim

Postby Evil Jim » 04 May 2009, 02:06

Chemistring wrote:

Oh. Whups! I'd never heard of them before. I stand corrected. I stand corrected on the fries/chips thing too, which is unfortunate because I'm hungry.
Timelady
First Video: Deeply Religious

Postby Timelady » 04 May 2009, 12:09

Chemistring wrote:
CyberTractor wrote:I swore I was the only one who read The Dark is Rising.

You're not the only one. :wink: I borrowed the books from my school library when I first read them, then bought my own set later - and was amazed to have found a set since nobody else had heard of the books either.

One of my favorite serieses as a kid, along with the Prydain Chronicles and the Earthsea books. :) I was actually planning to reread these recently, but the local library apparently decided it would be a good idea to get rid of the 1st and 2nd ones :/ Had no idea they were doing a movie, though.
AmazingPjotrMan wrote:Bacon is not a chronological entity.
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 04 May 2009, 16:58

empath wrote:...apparently they call biscuits "buns" too!

This really pissed me off when I was in America. Biscuits and gravy? What evil bastards spent all their time taking the names of entirely unrelated foodstuffs and reassigning them, just to confuse British people? Although since this random name scrambling may well have happened while we were being big arrogant Imperial dicks, I suppose it may have been deserved at the time.

Return to “General Discussion”