commodoreHUSTLE 08 - Investigation

Talk about commodoreHUSTLE, LRR's continuing web series.
whyarecarrots

Re: commodoreHUSTLE 08 - Investigation

Postby whyarecarrots » 04 May 2009, 14:52

That would seem a bit too indecisive, and I don't like to come across as someone who can't make his mind up...
Lyinginbedmon wrote:Real men don't sleep!

INSOMNIA IS MANLY! HAAAH!
concupiscentcrustacean
First Video: black box

Postby concupiscentcrustacean » 04 May 2009, 14:53

Tim wrote:
Woody wrote:I liked the fedora twist, and those dream sequences...what has been seen, cannot be unseen.

Thanks for having me cameo in this one, guys! It was awesome to finally get in one of these!

Your part was great, Woody. I really enjoyed the plastic sword.

I liked the tiara behind you!

I also liked that morgan pooped in the sink. and that the pee bottles are growing, and were also conveniently covering the cameraman's reflection.
"I studied the ancient art of Origami gun making, and i've folded a pistol out of purest prose. This is an Origami 45. The most powerful poetry in the world."
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 04 May 2009, 14:55

James' girlfriend, Ashley Allman, certainly has appeared previously, but I've not seen Adam's before I'm sure.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
whyarecarrots

Postby whyarecarrots » 04 May 2009, 14:57

I'm certain that she's appeared before, simply because I remember 'Michelle Stark (no relation)' in the credits before, although that may only have been for the Spice episode of Rapidfire...

Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 04 May 2009, 14:59

The morning After.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Tally
First Video: 1337 rap

Postby Tally » 04 May 2009, 15:00

To whyarecarrots, consider this:

I may have contributed to the permanent scarring of the eyes and minds of all who watch LRR videos, true.

However, I watch LRR videos, so have also caused irreparable damage to my own self. Can we consider that as justice served?

Plus, be honest. Wasn't it worth the pain to see that? Come now, you know I speak truth.
whyarecarrots

Postby whyarecarrots » 04 May 2009, 15:07

...that is actually a very good point.

And yes, when you put it like that, it was definately worth the pain, in some strange masochistic way, and for some reason I am now tempted to watch it again.... :shock:

I think I'll just blame Elomin for the scarring after all....

Laurnil
First Video: Cannot remember

Postby Laurnil » 04 May 2009, 15:14

I really thought the funniest part of the video was when Tally goes "Shit" after a supposed 37 minutes of talking about poop.

I think it really says more about the fans that the gay joke was the funniest thing to most of them...I think it was funny, but it would have been even better if they had gone all after it with tongue and a great deal of sloppiness, instead of pussying out with a short closed mouth kiss. I would also like to have seen some hair and ass caresses. That would have been funny.
Laurnil

http://www.twitter.com/laurnil

FYI: Laurnil is short for Laura Nichelle
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 04 May 2009, 15:18

iamafish wrote:
gryffinp wrote:Also: The "Was that fedora red the entire time?" line was kind of fourth-wall breaking. Since the cH fourth wall is fragile enough as it is...
THAT was breaking the fourth-wall. what about Geoff's fourth-wall bomb at 8:33. 'terrible narrative progression?' heavy dose of romantic irony.
Now, while that obviously ended up as a fourth wall breaking joke, I wrote with the intention that Geoff's character is more concerned with making our torment interesting from a story-structure standpoint.

I mean, it works both ways, which was intentional, but that's why it's there.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 04 May 2009, 15:20

Laurnil wrote:I really thought the funniest part of the video was when Tally goes "Shit" after a supposed 37 minutes of talking about poop.

I think it really says more about the fans that the gay joke was the funniest thing to most of them...I think it was funny, but it would have been even better if they had gone all after it with tongue and a great deal of sloppiness, instead of pussying out with a short closed mouth kiss. I would also like to have seen some hair and ass caresses. That would have been funny.

I was honestly expecting James to slip me the tongue, but he announced before hand that there was no way - surprised me I'd figured he'd go for it. And that's not because he's "the gay one" or anything, it's just because I'd expected him to do it to try and out gay-chicken me.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Isiah_Jenner

Postby Isiah_Jenner » 04 May 2009, 15:24

Fantastic. The focus you guys have been putting into Hustle is really apparent with quality videos like this one. Bits such as James' homoerotic nightmares and some beautiful segways make this one of the best written episodes of all. Really impressive work that keeps pace with the early episodes.
As for peoples comments on breaking the fourth wall: why not, its funny.
in the words of the intro song for mystery science theater 3000
"please remember its just a tv show, you should really just relax"
"The bureaucracy is expanding, in order to accommodate the needs of the expanding bureaucracy"
-unknown(civ 4)

"Define 'interesting'"
"Oh god, oh god, we're all going to die?"
-Mal and Wash, Serenity
DontPanic

Postby DontPanic » 04 May 2009, 15:25

I am going to go watch a Image
Keith K
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Keith K » 04 May 2009, 15:26

It's not a gay joke. It's James kissing Matt. It's HILARIOUS because you can understand the pain they endured to get that on film. And kudos to both for enduring it. There's no cup for that kind of hit to the junk.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 04 May 2009, 15:35

We need a Loading Time for this.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Isiah_Jenner

Postby Isiah_Jenner » 04 May 2009, 15:47

+1

(and +1 posts, but lyinginbedmon still has 100 times as many posts as me)
"The bureaucracy is expanding, in order to accommodate the needs of the expanding bureaucracy"
-unknown(civ 4)

"Define 'interesting'"
"Oh god, oh god, we're all going to die?"
-Mal and Wash, Serenity
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 04 May 2009, 15:56

First, I just want to say this this video wins the award for making me pause it the most times while watching it because I was laughing too hard and didn't want to miss anything. And I assure you that is a comment on its laughliness and not its lengthliness. (That's what she said.)

Second, this was probably not intentional, but I feel like this episode rewarded those of us who frequent the forum, as we had already seen pics of Brad's red fedora and heard Matt hold forth on how much he loves puppies. I'm sure those things made it in because they are true to the actors in real life, but it's a nice connection between you all and your fans.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 04 May 2009, 16:04

MOOOOOOOOOOORGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNN!

You were the star of this episode. I haven't actually listened to the LRRcasts for awhile, so maybe that's why you going to california surprised me so much. SAY IT AIN'T SO.

I loved how no one cared that Morgan pooped in the sink. Best part of that scene, in my opinion.
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
LS

Postby LS » 04 May 2009, 16:08

Matt wrote:
Patriot wrote:That opening is win.

James deserves an A+ for commitment.

JAMES does? what about ME!? I was the one that had to act super-gay! And I was way less of a pussy about it off-camera.

>.<

-m

You were lovely in those scenes! Goodness knows I've already pasted my face over James' and have the clip playing on infinite repeat.
Fancy Morgan: the Matt lover.
1weirdgirl

Postby 1weirdgirl » 04 May 2009, 16:09

I thought the Matt kiss was really cute and the spooning scene was funny as hell. :D
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 04 May 2009, 16:11

Upon further thought, I have a few questions:

1. Does the landlord really live in the basement? Is there really a basement?
2. Why does Morgan appear in a scene after he's allegedly going away?
3. Is Morgan really going off to fight the ninjas?
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 04 May 2009, 16:13

Good good stuff! Loved the language bit and the red fedora and Brad's part. I've always been a Sam Spade, Richard Diamond fan :) I liked the memory eraser as well.

I have to be honest and say I really couldn't get into the poop jokes though. I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but squirm in my chair the entire time. Such things should not be discussed! I REALLY hope you guys didn't base that on real life.

And the Matt+James caught me off guard! Not in a million years would I guess that they would agree to that! Good on you for going all the way. Plus, I just watched "Milk" last night so it seemed appropriate.
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
Narrator

Postby Narrator » 04 May 2009, 16:15

WOW.
Awesome work guys, applause all around. Great writing, acting, and especially the editting. The cuts work really well - I think "Rapidfire" was mentioned, but this is so much more... elevated.

This one is just PACKED with so many good jokes, I don't even know where to begin. But with special mention, I love the Daft Punk throw-away, and, well Brad. I, too, come with my own fedora. Not a stunning shade of red, though.

Now as a testament to GREAT writing: I don't usually buy into potty-humor, especially "poop jokes", but some how you guys made it work. I dunno if it was the absurdity of the "Alphabet game", or the casual insertion of the word poo handled with such candid poise and class by the whole cast, but it worked. Well. I was afraid that it might detract from the rest of the excellent material, but it didn't. Not the shining beacon of the episode, but it wove itself into the beautiful comedic tapestry along with the other silken threads of laughter.

Also, if I WAS handing out "Actor/Character of the Episode awards" (personal opinion of an mvp) I'd give it to Tim. Something about your performance cracked me up with this one. Kudos.

Hats off to all.

Oh, and Brad, since we live in the same city, we should get together sometime and swap gritty metaphors. And talk about fedoras.
=Burger, Fries, Chocolate Shake; Some one's mind I is about to take!=
Narrator

Postby Narrator » 04 May 2009, 16:23

Oh, yeah, the "poop in the sink" was beautifully executed. I like how to everyone else, it seemed natural. Lolz.

...Is Morgan really leaving??
=Burger, Fries, Chocolate Shake; Some one's mind I is about to take!=
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 04 May 2009, 16:26

Tapir12 wrote:I have to be honest and say I really couldn't get into the poop jokes though. I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but squirm in my chair the entire time. Such things should not be discussed! I REALLY hope you guys didn't base that on real life.

Certain members of the crew are cruder than others. Graham and I do have a habit of trying to come up wit creative ways of explaining that the other should not go into the bathroom for a while though, so that certainly was.

Regardless, yes, bowel movements do come up in conversation, no, not usually like this.

-m

I am not angry at you.
goat

Postby goat » 04 May 2009, 17:07

Warning, what follows is excessively long:
James wrote:I suppose your right Matt, but you didn't really have to stretch to far to play this role. We all know you have a giant mancrush on me.

Who doesn't have a giant man crush on James?
Matt wrote:
DontPanic wrote:Props to Matt for being shirtless and being the big spoon.

Of course I was the big spoon. You wouldn't seriously expect me to be the catcher between James and I, would you?

-m

I could see Matt being the cuddly teddy bear type. :wink:

Oh and,
Graham wrote:Nope. Tally actually part of the scenes with the girls, including the setup line "Matt shows up in James bad dreams." and I don't think she had knowledge of that.

Granted I put in the cutaway, but I had forgotten. So ha!

I believe you just accidentally the whole bottle there, Graham.

So yay for more Brad, he does the noir thing very well. The black and white joke at the end fucking slayed me. As did just about every other line in the entire episode come to think of it. Well played with the "thinking spot" joke, too; that was just far enough back to make me question it as it was happening.

James and Matt would make a cute couple. Too bad Matt is selling the Miata =p. +10 to each of you for selling those scenes so hardcore. Wait, what's that sound? It's the fan girls drooling on their keyboards as they hammer out another slashfic.

The over the shoulder shots looked a lot better this time around. The hook up of the special Laser Disc machine was a little jarring with the cuts, though I don't know how else you could've done it smoothly with only an empty camera case.

Final notes:
-I like Tim rocking the (playoff?) beard.
-We'll miss you Morgan!
-I now have a new game to play when I poop

TLDR: Nice work. My 2nd favorite cH (after Viral).

PS. Nice work on pirating the anti-pirating commercial text for the ad

Return to “commodoreHUSTLE”