Star Trek

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Re: Star Trek

Postby Genghis Ares » 04 May 2009, 21:19

Except they would never do a movie about DS9 unless it could standalone fairly well. They couldn't really do it about specific plot from the series too much or else they would alienate people who don't know the full story that well or not at all. They would most likely want to keep the story new and fresh, just centered around DS9 and its characters. I don't really see that happening though.
Cade Antilles
First Video: Man Cooking - The Gigantor

Postby Cade Antilles » 04 May 2009, 22:37

For the "it would've been awesome if" files: If they'd built up DS9 to a series finale cliff-hanger, then finished it off with a theatrical film, that would have been awesome! That way, they could've used a feature film budget for a Dominion War finale! Uh-uh-oooh! Nerdgasm!
"May the Force rock you!"

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
Hakaryu

Postby Hakaryu » 05 May 2009, 05:11

Thats what I wish they had done with Voyager. I always thought Endgame was abit of a let down.
Tonberry's poked the dutch again.
Telaril

Postby Telaril » 05 May 2009, 05:52

Voyager lost me when they could not decide on or be consistent with a narrative for 7of9. Is she steadily getting more human? Was she getting more human 'til she hit a wall? Getting more human 'til she hit a wall and then backsliding? Getting more human while backsliding at occasional points? NONE of those patterns actually fit her behavior. She simply had a level of humanity and level of borg-ness convenient to whatever plot with absolutely no explanation of the variation between the different levels.

It was infuriating.
The R

Postby The R » 06 May 2009, 11:31

The trailer for this new one kinda has me... well,concerned.

Kirk seems to come off less of a Bold & Charming character that the Kirk we know and comes off more of an arrogant 4-popped-collar-type douchebag. Im almost imagining in the scene where he first meets Uhura for him to talk about his new haircut and tells the bartender to get some "fukin jagerbombs!". I know I kid. Yeah he is younger, but it so far doesn't seem to fit.

Second thing is the action sequences, im hoping are not using stupid camerawork that goes all over the damn place so you can't appreciate the amazing visual FX. As much as I liked the new Battlestar, I could not STAND the "Lets give the handicam to the spastic 10year old who cant top fiddling with the zoom to film our wedding" style camerawork in all of the space battles.

Thats my only 2 concerns so far, and I hope the movie itself is far better than the impression the trailers ive seen. I know before in the past I actually refused to see Fight Club after seeing the first trailers and it wasnt till 2 years later I saw it and was like "holy shit, that was totally different, that was awesome".
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 06 May 2009, 12:03

96% on Rotten Tomatoes. I am very excited for this movie.

In reply to Raymond; I agree, in many of the preview scenes Kirk comes off as a class "A" douchebag. It's that one line from Bruce Greenwood that gives me shivers though; "Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved eight hundred lives. I'd like to see you do better". My hope is that, initially, Kirk is as you say, but as the movie (and maybe movie series or TV series) goes on, there is - gasp - character development, and we see that d-baggery converted into the confident swagger of the Kirk we know and love.

I'm not a trekkie - but damn if this movie doesn't make you want to be.
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 06 May 2009, 13:40

metcarfre wrote:96% on Rotten Tomatoes. I am very excited for this movie.

In reply to Raymond; I agree, in many of the preview scenes Kirk comes off as a class "A" douchebag. It's that one line from Bruce Greenwood that gives me shivers though; "Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved eight hundred lives. I'd like to see you do better". My hope is that, initially, Kirk is as you say, but as the movie (and maybe movie series or TV series) goes on, there is - gasp - character development, and we see that d-baggery converted into the confident swagger of the Kirk we know and love.

I'm not a trekkie - but damn if this movie doesn't make you want to be.

Lifelong Trekkie representing here.

But that picture? Completely accurate.

Complaining that Kirk seems like a pompous ass is sort of missing the point that Kirk is kind of a pompous ass. He's a good ass, though.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 06 May 2009, 15:41

Yeah, Kirk always was a little strong-headed, and this movie deals (presumably) with his transformation from bar-fight douchebag into a captain.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 06 May 2009, 15:53

A Captain who's still a bit of a douchebag and has being known to get into the odd bar-fight. But a captain nonetheless.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 06 May 2009, 22:20

What good's a captain who can't get into a bar fight?
Citin

Postby Citin » 07 May 2009, 01:55

metcarfre wrote:What good's a captain who can't win a bar fight?

I think that's what you mean, and that's Kirk baby.
"I'll be in Africa. If you need me just phone Africa, I told them to expect your call." - The Pointy Haired Boss
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 07 May 2009, 07:42

I seem to recall Picard being stabbed in the heart during a bar fight (and thereby losing), so I guess we know where you come down on that particular issue.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 07 May 2009, 12:01

Ah, but he went down laughing, survived, oh, and he wasn't a Captain at that point, just a Lieutenant. If he had gone up against those Nausicans as a Captain, he would have clearly won. In fact, he probably could have won when he had that second chance, but he was just doing the whole "maintaining the timeline" thing.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 07 May 2009, 12:36

I do love how Picard, an aging fellow with no real history of combat or signs of physical strength, can outfight Klingons whose entire culture centers around battle and training for it.

~Alja~
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 07 May 2009, 13:08

Master Gunner wrote:Ah, but he went down laughing, survived, oh, and he wasn't a Captain at that point, just a Lieutenant. If he had gone up against those Nausicans as a Captain, he would have clearly won. In fact, he probably could have won when he had that second chance, but he was just doing the whole "maintaining the timeline" thing.

What you're missing though, is that it was only by losing that fight that he came to be the man that became a captain. It was that moment in history that dictated his leadership style, his understanding of risk and consequence. If not for the loss of that fight, he'd never have been a captain.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Hakaryu

Postby Hakaryu » 07 May 2009, 13:27

T Minus about an hour and a half till epicness.
Tonberry's poked the dutch again.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 07 May 2009, 13:30

Well that too. My point was that him losing the fight did not take away from his being a Captain (and, in fact, strengthened his Captain...ness), due to him not being a captain when it happened.
Cade Antilles
First Video: Man Cooking - The Gigantor

Postby Cade Antilles » 07 May 2009, 16:27

Well, I'll be off to stand in line for a kickass seat in just a few minutes!
"May the Force rock you!"

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 07 May 2009, 17:22

I enjoyed that movie very much.
"It's nice to think that before "Adam and Eve", there was "Earl Grey""

Return to “General Discussion”