What Do You Consider Your Culture To Be?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

What Do You Consider Your Culture To Be?

Postby Elomin Sha » 07 May 2009, 03:18

Culture probably isn't the right word here.

~Waffle~
It's been 10 years since the devolution of the UK where Wales and Scotland now have their own assemblies for their own internal matters. A little note during the news about culture sparked up and had me thinking what my culture was. I'm told I'm half English and half Welsh by blood (means squat to me) but I don't really take much interest in either culture. I don't really feel that I'm British either because it's not instilled into me or generally really from an early age what it is, unless you're in a BNP family or if you're from America. It's more blahzey here from personal experience.

~End Waffle~

I'd like to say that my 'Culture' is the gaming culture as I have been immersed in it since I was about five or six. But only in the past few years have I been swimming close to the deep end.

So I was wondering what everyone else thought their 'culture' was and if it's something you acquired yourself or just grow into through outside influences.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Cureless_Poison
First Video: Fun with microwaves.

Re: What Do You Consider Your Culture To Be?

Postby Cureless_Poison » 07 May 2009, 03:46

By blood I'm: German, Dutch, Canadian, Ukrainian, Scottish, Russian, and British.

My "Culture" is mainly Gamer, West Coast Canadian, and "Slickster" something me and my friends from school founded.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 07 May 2009, 03:58

I usually identify myself as Terran when pushed because calling myself Human associates me with all of humanity's failings and mistakes, which, needless to say there are a lot of.

Anybody who wishes to join my Terran movement is welcome ;) In fact, that's one of the core tennets of being Terran :)
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 07 May 2009, 04:23

My culture is American.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 07 May 2009, 04:40

By blood, I have inheritance from almost every country on the planet (I kid ye not). I consider myself British, however, with a touch of Irish.

Hmm...not sure where to put "culture" though, because whilst I have a large protocol of determining someone's "British-ness" based on their life and dislike of certain things, I too am heavily immersed in geek culture.

I'm going to say Western European Geek for the moment.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
goat

Postby goat » 07 May 2009, 05:07

Well, by blood I have a good representation out of World War I countries (both sides too), but I can't claim I've ever been to any of those countries, nor do I know family that came from there (it was a loooong time ago).

If anything, I'm American. For better or for worse, my view of the world will always be in some way shaded by my life here.
Unclever title

Postby Unclever title » 07 May 2009, 06:29

goat wrote:For better or for worse, my view of the world will always be in some way shaded by my life here.

That's pretty much true no matter where you live.

By blood I'm about half German, a little British, gotta have some Welsh considering my last name, some other countries I'm forgetting right now, and either 1/8 or 1/16 Cherokee, I believe it's 1/8 but I' not too sure at the moment. I would qualify for reparations but we lack the right birth certificate or some document for proof of my Father's grandmother/great grandmother being Cherokee. Damn white man stealing my land! :D

Culturally speaking I don't have too much of an answer, I guess I might default under American something or other. Which essentially means I consider myself to be an individual, maybe a bit too much. I don't normally define myself to categories not out of any personal moral reason against labels, but I just don't think of myself in those terms.
My train of thought is more like a roller coaster that has loop de loops and no safety bars.
I don't know if I'm tall enough to ride.
Hakaryu

Postby Hakaryu » 07 May 2009, 06:35

Bloodwise: Irish,Italian,Mexican,Canadian(Ontario canadian)

Culturally speaking I would identify most with the geek and gamer culture. I play alot of video games and DnD and read alot of scifi and fantasy books.
Tonberry's poked the dutch again.
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 07 May 2009, 06:42

Canadian, whatever that is.
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 07 May 2009, 06:45

convict.
wedrinkritalin

Postby wedrinkritalin » 07 May 2009, 06:58

My country is fucked, I intend to neither claim I am Irish or British as it seems so pointless, I live in a place where the main language is english with a weird accent, everywhere else is superior anyway
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 07 May 2009, 07:02

My culture? ..Seattlite, I guess. I'd say it's a little different than American. We're pretty hippy dippy Liberal up here, and I'd say we have more atheistic elitists, as well as more fitness elitists (we're one of the healthiest cities in the country.)

Bloodwise: 3/8 German, 2/8 British, 2/8 Polish, 1/8 MAYBE French (Huguenots). We're not completely sure. I'm a big ol' mix. I don't really identify with any of those cultures though, my culture would be American or Seattlite.
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 07 May 2009, 07:09

wedrinkritalin wrote:My country is fucked, I intend to neither claim I am Irish or British as it seems so pointless, I live in a place where the main language is english with a weird accent, everywhere else is superior anyway

You can be Terran if you want, ritalin, and I'd be happy to have you join :)
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 07 May 2009, 07:24

I proudly say Canadian.

My family has been here for at least four generations on both sides. Bloodwise, I'm a smattering of UK - I recently learned my last name is native to Yorkshire - with emphasis on Scottish. There's a good measure of Welsh and English in there too, and just a hint of Irish. Rumours abound of a squirt of French as well, but this hasn't been confirmed. I also like to consider myself "honourary partially" First Nations (Indian), as my uncle (adopted) is native and I grew up in a town that was half native.
wedrinkritalin

Postby wedrinkritalin » 07 May 2009, 07:26

The Jester wrote:
wedrinkritalin wrote:My country is fucked, I intend to neither claim I am Irish or British as it seems so pointless, I live in a place where the main language is english with a weird accent, everywhere else is superior anyway

You can be Terran if you want, ritalin, and I'd be happy to have you join :)

Starcraft terran or just terran in general? Damn the zerg either way
Cade Antilles
First Video: Man Cooking - The Gigantor

Postby Cade Antilles » 07 May 2009, 07:49

Geek Culture. I'm a geek, through and through, and have been since I was a very young boy.

When I was a child, my father owned a video store, and that gave me access to a very wide variety of films to watch. I immediately gravitated to the sci-fi/fantasy genre. Things like Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica (the original, obviously), Willow, Legend, and various available Anime (it was the 80s and early 90s) were constantly watched. I was also not a very social child, so I gravitated to other like-minded children. By the time I was a teen, I was fully rooted in the geek culture.

I'm also a gamer, and that stems from (and is arguably part of) my geek identity. I had an NES, SNES, and an N64 as I grew up with a huge library of games available to me. I was also one of the only kids in my school to have a computer (and, thus, games) in those days. When I hit High School, a new friend got me playing AD&D and Warhammer 40,000. I've been a table-top player and RPer ever since. So, I've been a gamer geek as much as I've been a sci-fi/fantasy geek.

One could also classify me as a Californian. I'm English, Irish, Portugese and Italian by blood (and I've gained bits of those cultures), but I'm Californian more than those. Californians are a special type of Americans, and as I've been born and raised here, I'm sure I exude some stereotypical Californian qualities.
"May the Force rock you!"

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 07 May 2009, 07:58

I am an Italian-Ukrainian-American-New Yorker who is an Arts Enthusiasict-Bibliophilic-Foodie-Geek.

Yeah, that's the easiest way to explain me. I'm sure I'm leaving something out, like clown-o-phobic or something
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Alina

Postby Alina » 07 May 2009, 08:26

I'm pretty Finnish, blood-wise as well as culture-wise. And I'm a relatively typical hämäläinen, to boot. For those of you not in the know, (obviously a minority, I mean, how can you go though life not learning about the fascinating stereotypes concerning people from different parts of our magnificent country) we are generally found to be even more unsociable and unbubbly than other Finns.

(Also, I'm a procrastinator, currently clearly very engaged in writing two Lit essayes.)
No one had had the slightest desire to learn the language of the boghogs for the simple reason that these creatures communicated by biting each other very hard on the thigh. -Douglas Adams
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 07 May 2009, 09:45

None?

~Alja~
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 07 May 2009, 10:04

Culturally I would say I am West Coast Canadian.

My ancestry is a mix of various inhabitants of the British Isles. One grandmother is from Cardiff, my grandfather on the other side was born in the Lake District while my other grandfather's family has been in Canada since the American Revolution.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Cheeseonfire

Postby Cheeseonfire » 07 May 2009, 10:08

Horti
I'm still trying to figure out why someone didn't tell me how awesome Muse is.
Cherry

Postby Cherry » 07 May 2009, 11:23

The man in the black hoodie tells me Santa Destroy doesn't have any culture...
The strong survive, lovers strive, and the thoughtful ones get out alive.

Look. All I'm saying is that she doesn't not look like a whore.
Thysane

Postby Thysane » 07 May 2009, 11:30

By blood, I'm British, Welsh, Scottish and Irish.

Since I live in Ireland, I maintain where I lay my head as that little corner that is always England.

Culturally, I'd say... Western European Geek, Indie music enthusiast. And bassist. Dude, us bassists have to stick together.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 07 May 2009, 11:46

Scotsman, born and bred.

But my culture more consists of the philosophies of the martial arts I was raised and trained with. Protecting people is my utmost priority, even if it's the life of my own enemy.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 07 May 2009, 11:48

By blood, I'm half-Scottish, half-Canadian (although if you trace those bloodlines back, they pretty much all lead back to Scotland/British Isles, and a bit from the rest of Europe). While I associate strongly with my Scottish heritage, overall my "culture" would be a mix of Maritime and Central Canadian, with a touch (or to be more specific, metric fuckton) of Internet/LRR.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.

Return to “General Discussion”