God damn it conservatives...

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
zfubarz

God damn it conservatives...

Postby zfubarz » 17 May 2009, 21:18

Anybody else seen the new wave of ads against ignatieff?

I mean aren't we like 6 months to a year out from an election even being considered?

And they're terrible too. Oh no the guy was out of the country teaching at OXFORD, CAMBRIDGE AND HARVARD!!!!

Jesus christ he's well traveled and fantastically intelligent. How dare he.

I think I'm starting to understand how the Americans feel.
Vaughn

Re: God damn it conservatives...

Postby Vaughn » 17 May 2009, 21:20

Whats an ignateef?
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 17 May 2009, 21:42

I'm with Vaughn. Could you expand a bit please?
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Hakaryu

Postby Hakaryu » 17 May 2009, 21:46

I third that motion
Tonberry's poked the dutch again.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 17 May 2009, 21:47

Lazy fricken...

Okay, in five seconds I searched on wikipedia... it directed me to a list of possibles.

• Michael Ignatieff (born 1947), Leader of the Liberal Party of Canada (son of George Ignatieff)
  • George Ignatieff (1913–1989), Canadian diplomat and recipient Pearson Medal of Peace (son of Paul Ignatieff)
  • Paul Ignatieff (1870–1945), Russian Minister of Education (son of Nicolas Ignatiev)
  • Nicholas Pavlovich Ignatiev (1832–1908), Russian Minister of Interior

It's either Number 1 or Number 2, folks. And Number 2 is dead.

Seriously. If you want to know something, LOOK IT THE FUCK UP.

*reading rainbow theme*

~Alja~

Addendum: Jeez, I like how I had to reload the stupid edit over and over. I wish that stupid "Edited X Times" feature were removed. It makes me look like a moron when it's not even my fault.
Last edited by Alja-Markir on 17 May 2009, 21:51, edited 7 times in total.
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 17 May 2009, 21:47

This thread isn't for us, it is for the great warriors of the north.
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 17 May 2009, 21:51

Indeed, I'd give Vaughn a pass though seeing as he's from Alberta and he's basically a lost cause.
Evil Jim

Postby Evil Jim » 17 May 2009, 22:19

Alja-Markir wrote:Seriously. If you want to know something, LOOK IT THE FUCK UP.

Seriously, if someone is going to start a topic of discussion their readers shouldn't have to do research just to figure out what nonsense they're spouting. It's common courtesy.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 17 May 2009, 22:35

Common courtesy? Pfft.

This is a Canadian sketch comedy site. A good number of the fans are Canadian. To them, starting a thread about Canadian politics is natural and doesn't need explanation. You coming along and not knowing anything about Canadian politics isn't their fault.

You don't post in a thread about sports and ask, "Roethlisberger? Is that something you buy at McDonalds?". Nor do you post in a thread about cinema and ask, "Spielberg? Is that in Kentucky?"

This is the goddamn internet. I know people liken forum threads to conversations, and in structure they're a lot like that. But when you have a giant fucking encylopedia at your fingertips that you can access instantly and with no effort at, and you choose not to look something up and instead remain willfully ignorant, it boggles my mind. This isn't a conversation. You don't have to say something immediately. You don't have to ask for information you don't have. It's right there in front of you.

You are fucking blessed with a miracle of technology that allows you to learn virtually anything you could possibly want, from anywhere in the world, any time of time, in your goddamn underwear if you want, and you can't be arsed to open a goddamn webpage and educate yourself. You want to be told by someone else. You don't want to put forth even the minutest amount of effort to learn something on your own.

/rantoff
/rationaldiscourseon

Okay, so yes. It'd be nice if every forum thread ever made was clear and well structured, so that readers unfamiliar with the topic at hand can easily join in.

My big beef is that I can't understand why someone would ask to have something explained when they can look up an encylopedic definition of it themselves immediately and with no effort. You don't have to wait on a response, you get a better explanation, it isn't hard on any level...

I mean, honestly, what is the rationale? Why are you asking? If you really want to know, why not find out? Why would you ever consciously choose the worse option? It's like the difference between automatically getting ten dollars whenever you push a button, or asking random people on the street for spare change.

~Alja~
Last edited by Alja-Markir on 17 May 2009, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 17 May 2009, 22:39

Edit: (basically alja's last post but nicer)

Alja might have been a bit harsh but it is kinda ridiculous to think that I'd have to link the very first article on google about one of the most important men in my country right now.

If it was something totally obscure sure. but here, and about this not so much.
Evil Jim

Postby Evil Jim » 17 May 2009, 23:19

If I'm having a conversation with friends & someone asks for clarification I don't send them off to the library to figure it out for themselves. I'm glad someone is interested enough to want to join in. A big part of why I read the forums is interaction. I'd generally rather learn something from a friend than an outside source. Forgive me for wanting to be social.

If Zfubarz had mentioned it was Canadian politics it would have been enough, or at the very least just capitalized "Ignatieff" to show it was a proper name it would have helped. Just a bit of context is appreciated. Too many threads here just start with a reaction & an assumption that all involved will know what's going on. Vaughn & I asked for more information, I was even polite about it, & Alja swears at us. Was that really necessary?
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 17 May 2009, 23:30

Well it is a wide enough topic that he could have reasonably expected someone to understand it. It's not like anyone died from a vague thread topic anyway
Unlucky

Postby Unlucky » 17 May 2009, 23:34

Evil Jim wrote: Vaughn & I asked for more information, I was even polite about it, & Alja swears at us. Was that really necessary?

This post in no way refers to Vaughn or Evil Jims actions.

I'm just gonna assume Alja's having a bad day or he's just fucking sick of the internet as a whole's distinct lack of effort on their own behalf.

What people are generally asking when they request more information is that it's easily summarised in a few words so they don't have to spend the effort of looking it up for themselves.

They'd like to learn what it is quickly so they can then cast a judgment in the exact same haste, using up the other persons time and energy more than they would their own just to hear a very uninformed and generally biased thought on the subject.
Graham in a locked thread wrote:Think before you post.
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 17 May 2009, 23:41

Eh, I have to agree w/ Evil Jim on this: no one's saying the OP needs to have a long post about every single thing, but something like "this is about Canadian politics for you non-canadians" (of which there are plenty), or saying what the actual commercials are saying - something other than a point blank reaction to something.
I don't know about other people, but when someone just posts something that gives me no context I move on by.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 17 May 2009, 23:52

presumably if you don't know what the OP is talking about the thread isn't for you, but in this instance it was vague enough that you couldn't tell if you were supposed to know.
-Geoff-

Postby -Geoff- » 17 May 2009, 23:59

More like damn BC for failing really hard on STV and NDP.
NecroVale
Card-Carrying Cool Person
First Video: Door to Door

Postby NecroVale » 18 May 2009, 00:19

Alja-Markir wrote:Lazy fricken...

Okay, in five seconds I searched on wikipedia... it directed me to a list of possibles.

• Michael Ignatieff (born 1947), Leader of the Liberal Party of Canada (son of George Ignatieff)
  • George Ignatieff (1913–1989), Canadian diplomat and recipient Pearson Medal of Peace (son of Paul Ignatieff)
  • Paul Ignatieff (1870–1945), Russian Minister of Education (son of Nicolas Ignatiev)
  • Nicholas Pavlovich Ignatiev (1832–1908), Russian Minister of Interior

It's either Number 1 or Number 2, folks. And Number 2 is dead.

So... in Canada is a big deal if a corpse goes overseas to teach?
Allen! wrote:I know, it confused and aroused me.
Also made me hate him more.

Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 18 May 2009, 00:43

Cybren wrote:Presumably if you don't know what the OP is talking about the thread isn't for you, but in this instance it was vague enough that you couldn't tell if you were supposed to know.
I agree with this, and I've come down on other people for poorly explained first posts, so I have to do the same here.

In general (this is for everyone), please link to whatever it is you're talking about.

---Explanation for Non-Canadians---

The political party currently in power in Canada have started running attack ads against the new leader of the opposition party. Except that we just had an election.

Basically, imagine the Obama administration started running inflammatory attack ads directed at Republican leader Michael Steele, right now.

Yes, I've seen these ads. And they're awful.
Guys... you won the election. Chill out.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 18 May 2009, 00:45

Blatantly copied from the Globe and Mail so people can read this after the article goes subscriber only.
Rex Murphy wrote:"Is that Michael Ignatieff on the cover of the British GQ, the upscale version of its more gamy American counterpart?"

That was the question that leaped unbidden to my lips after viewing the photo on the front page of Thursday's Globe and Mail. And, as was the case I am sure with thousands of my fellow Canadians, I mustered up a few "harrumphs" and maybe even one "pshaw" before delivering the verdict: "Well, that settles it. Not going to vote for him."

I think I'm with the rest of the country when I say we really don't want as a future prime minister someone who's not only appeared on the cover of foreign "style" magazines, but - save us the nightmare - has actually written for some of them. It gets darker. He's written for those egghead ones as well - in fact scattered his tony prose in the close print of all sorts of highbrow and middle-forehead publications on both sides of the Atlantic. I believe - I don't want to libel him here, but the truth must out - he's also appeared, very frequently, on the BBC!

Well, say goodbye to 24 Sussex Dr., Michael. The last person Mr. and Mrs. Ordinary Canadian want to be leading their country is some intellectual drifter equally familiar to the readers of The Times Literary Supplement or The New York Review of Books. And who sojourned at Harvard, ice palace of the global elitists, as well. Are there no farm boys or fishermen to lead us? Someone, who's actually stayed at home? Or, to pose another alternative, someone who fostered an unparalleled intimacy with the vast range and diversity of our great country, got his hands dirty and mixed with the rest of us, by toiling, say, at the gatehouse of the common man, the National Citizens Coalition? Or someone who had such a full appreciation for the glories of our great confederation that he once argued with great vigour for the concept of a firewall around Alberta?

The picture I'm referencing comes, of course, from the Conservatives' latest batch of anti-Iggy ads. This is getting very tired. As was done to Stéphane Dion so must it be done to Mr. Ignatieff. The Harperites are back at what they do best, or - let me try to be more precise - back at what it seems they really like most to be doing. Attacking the other guys' leader. There are a lot of cards in the political deck, but the attack card seems to be the one that most fits with the Conservatives under Mr. Harper.

They are not good at reaching out. They are not good at broadening the tent. They are not good at getting beyond the bristling, mean way they view everyone who is an opponent. Even after their victories - they are in power, remember - the Conservatives of the Stephen Harper party, still radiate the sullenness of a party denied, a party - even though it is in power, is making the big calls, setting the agenda - nursing a sense of injury that they haven't been fully acknowledged, fully appreciated for the wonderful folks they are.

Can they not at least understand that it is precisely this attitude, more than any other factor, that has kept them frozen in the polls near the low 30s - that has denied them any measurable, sustained growth - from the moment of their first victory?

It comes mainly from the edgy, mean spirit that predominates in how they choose to present themselves. We saw it in the attempts to cut public financing for political parties last December. Any chance to kneecap their opponents and Mr. Harper's men start to salivate. It was surely present in the blitz of attack ads on Mr. Dion, which were unnecessary, and mean. Whatever those ads did to undermine the already weak Stéphane Dion is debatable. What is not debatable is how much they underlined the Conservatives', and Mr. Harper's, mean streak. There is some quality of the Conservative Party that gives the impression that they are always just about to have a temper tantrum.

Canadians don't like mean. It's bad politics and bad manners. And so, this latest batch about "snob" Ignatieff, Ignatieff the intellectual nomad - they will undoubtedly cheer the frozen base of the party. But they will also, as did the Dion ads, reinforce the impression of many Canadians, who are not Tory partisans, that this crowd is only at its best when its being mean about the other guy.

There is an unacknowledged element in all attack ads. They say as much about those who design those ads, as about their ostensible target. These ads may well remind Canadians of something they already know - that Mr. Ignatieff was a long while before he chose, or deigned, to become a full Canadian. But they will also remind Canadians of something they know just as well, and do not like in the main: that the Harper Conservatives are a brittle, humourless and by-default-mean congregation.

The ads, I predict, will hurt the Conservatives, far more than they will trim the rising Ignatieff Liberals.

tl;dr version
By attacking Ignatieff the Conservatives run the real risk of reenforcing the image that they are mean. If the Conservatives want to win majority governments they have overcome the impression that they are mean vindictive and petty which these ads only aggravate.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 18 May 2009, 00:52

While I'll fully admit that the post starts off vague. once you hear conservatives, attack ads, and election. The general Idea should be pretty clear. It's not difficult to discern that It's about an attack on one political part towards another. or at least one group of people towards another or to a person specifically, don't try and pretend like not putting in that one capital I would have made it much easier to figure out.

If you had come in and said, "Oh that damn bush is lying to us all again." We could probably put two and two together and that's actual a word rather than a name, Ignatieff really couldn't be much else.

Also if you're mad at alja that's great, but then you went ahead and started demeaning the topic at hand and my post, until you did that I said nothing about you.

Simply telling him off and asking again would have been fine but instead you went on your own tirade although admittedly not as bad as his.
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 18 May 2009, 01:09

I was really surprised to see the ads. All I could think was... why? I don't really care where Ignatieff has been living for the last while as long as he has good ideas and runs a good platform. Not saying I'd vote for him, but the ads don't make me not want to.

I agree that they just reflect badly on the conservatives. What's with the preemptive attack anyways? What are they planning?
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 18 May 2009, 01:15

I don't know if there's a big non confidence vote coming through soon or anything, maybe they're trying to get his numbers down so they don't have any guts to defeat it.
Elaro
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Elaro » 18 May 2009, 03:18

zfubarz wrote:I don't know if there's a big non confidence vote coming through soon or anything, maybe they're trying to get his numbers down so they don't have any guts to defeat it.

There was... sorta. Late last year, the Conservatives introduced a "fiscal update" that would completely eliminate public subsidies for federal political parties (Conservatives included). Considering that for every federal party in Canada (with the exception of the Conservatives), those subsidies constitute more than half their funding, this is a very anti-democratic measure. The non-Conservatives were not amused.

So the Liberals, NDP and Bloc Québécois momentarily put aside their differences to tackle the Tories, and announced their plan to form a coalition government, which would outweigh the Conservatives in the "Seats of Parliament" department. But, before they could put their plan in motion, Stéphane Dion, then-leader of the Liberals, was deposed as leader and replaced by Ignatieff. Who backed out of the coalition, which basically saved Harper's political bacon.

And now they're pathetically attempting to smear him. What douchebags.

You know, the Tories basically win my "Dumbest Political Party That I Have the Opportunity to Vote Against" Award. (That would be the DPPTIHOVA Award, for you fans of acronyms.)
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 18 May 2009, 03:30

Oh that I know about, and they had the Dion ads then as well as during the election, but as for right now I have no idea why they're doing it.
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 18 May 2009, 03:52

Alja-Markir wrote:Common courtesy? Pfft.

This is a Canadian sketch comedy site. A good number of the fans are Canadian. To them, starting a thread about Canadian politics is natural and doesn't need explanation. You coming along and not knowing anything about Canadian politics isn't their fault.

You don't post in a thread about sports and ask, "Roethlisberger? Is that something you buy at McDonalds?". Nor do you post in a thread about cinema and ask, "Spielberg? Is that in Kentucky?"

This is the goddamn internet. I know people liken forum threads to conversations, and in structure they're a lot like that. But when you have a giant fucking encylopedia at your fingertips that you can access instantly and with no effort at, and you choose not to look something up and instead remain willfully ignorant, it boggles my mind. This isn't a conversation. You don't have to say something immediately. You don't have to ask for information you don't have. It's right there in front of you.

You are fucking blessed with a miracle of technology that allows you to learn virtually anything you could possibly want, from anywhere in the world, any time of time, in your goddamn underwear if you want, and you can't be arsed to open a goddamn webpage and educate yourself. You want to be told by someone else. You don't want to put forth even the minutest amount of effort to learn something on your own.

/rantoff

God, you're such a troll.

Return to “General Discussion”