LRR GAMING PILOT: Resident Evil Discussion

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Jer
LRR Crew

LRR GAMING PILOT: Resident Evil Discussion

Postby Jer » 31 Mar 2009, 23:21

Those wishing to discuss RE C:V and RE 5 with regard to the forthcoming pilot project should do so here so we know where to find it. Those who have observations in other formats can email me directly ([email protected]).
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 01 Apr 2009, 00:09

Is this supposed to be our opinions and comparisons between them, or just talking about what you guys will maybe talk about? Because let me tell you, I can rant a shitload about these games.

I mean, Code Veronica can be considered where the series really starts getting nonsensical. I really couldn't explain to you how Claire winds up in a secret Umbrella prison or whatever it was, and I know the game did so several time. Wesker is revealed as being this super cool bad ass, and his Matrix powers don't fit the mood of the games at all. It all spirals out of control when in RE5, it's revealed that the omnipresent Umbrella conspiracy was just a front for a guy in a wheelchair.
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 01 Apr 2009, 00:09

I don't know if you would care about what I have to say but...

I never really played any of the RE games. I played the first game for about an hour on PC and found it too heavily outdated, this was about a year ago, so I didn't play much of it.

Now I have played the RE5 demo on XBL and while I think its pretty cool and interesting and all, I absolutely despise the controls. Which surprised me, as I have always been able to play anything control-wise. Also, I have and love Dead Space, which I was made to understand plays a lot like RE4, but if RE5 is any indication, it is not the same. Or at least not to me.

That being said, I would welcome the reboot of the series Capcom has talked about (I think that's what they were talking about), and I would love some genuinely good controls.

Sorry if this doesn't fit into what you are looking for, just my two cents on RE.
Joshua
First Video: Dont remember

Postby Joshua » 01 Apr 2009, 03:19

So, should we not worry about spoilers in this thread?
We feel free when we escape--even if it be but from the frying pan into the fire.
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 01 Apr 2009, 05:06

can i talk about why i'm taking my copy of RE5 back after 3 weeks? :P
Cade Antilles
First Video: Man Cooking - The Gigantor

Postby Cade Antilles » 01 Apr 2009, 07:03

Re-posted from an email I already wrote. Figured it might get discussion going.

Resident Evil has always been about "Survival Horror". First and foremost. It practically spawned the genre. That, to me, is what the RE series has always been about. Is that what RE5 is about? Well . . . let's break it down.

First off, "Survival" means keeping oneself alive amidst adversity. This was nearly impossible for me in Code: Veronica, which felt to me as the epitome of the survival theme. There never seemed to be enough health and/or ammo, which forced me to try and be more tactical in the way I played. With hordes of enemies popping up every which way, insanely tough boss battles, and little to keep me alive, the game was definitely about survival. The player has to show caution, stay on their toes, and think through every encounter. It was not about walking into a room and blowing away everything in sight. RE5, on the other hand, seems to have become more about shooting everything that moves. The survival aspect feels more like "kill everything that comes after you so that you may continue to live". Since ammo and health appear plentiful, this is not a problem. Which is not to say that this makes it a poor game, but definitely a turn away from the series' roots.

"Horror" is defined as "an overwhelming and painful feeling caused by something frightfully shocking, terrifying, or revolting" (thanks to Dictionary.com). Again, this was something that the RE series has always tried to encompass. My first experience with RE was RE2, which had me jumping at shadows constantly. C:V, again, drove home that feeling more than any other in the series. When the larger, more powerful creatures or bosses reared their ugly heads, my heart pounded out of fear. Creatures breaking through walls, appearing around corners, and sneaking up on me frequently startled me. Now, maybe I've just grown older and have become desensitized, but RE5 does not make me jump very much. There are still revolting and brutal instances within the game, but it does not have the same feeling that previous games felt. RE4, frankly, was the same for me.

As far as I see it, Resident Evil 5 is less "Survival Horror" and more "Shooter of Ugly" (couldn't come up with anything better). It did not feel like a Resident Evil game, so much as another shooter set in the RE universe. Again, not to say that this made it a bad game, just not what was expected.
"May the Force rock you!"

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
Kdz
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby Kdz » 01 Apr 2009, 12:57

I really feel like RE4, which I have played, captured the horror element well.

Come on, the game starts, you have no idea what's going on, you walk into this village and suddenly shit starts going down. I remember the first time I ran into the chainsaw guy, it scared the hell out of me.

Taking cover in houses, trying to keep the enemies funneled so you can get some respite, it was all very well done. The latter half of the game did very well psychologically to keep me on edge. I think RE4, at the very least, captured the spirit quite well. The even used a lot of the same level design conventions of previous series, just with a different kind of play.

The quicktime events were kind of annoying, but I loved Shenmue, so I got over it. I don't know, I can't think very analytically right now. But I feel like RE4 kept the spirit. Can't comment on 5, though. No way to play it.
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 01 Apr 2009, 15:51

Survival horror is an appellation for a fake genre anyway. There wasn't ever really such a thing. In theory, survival horror games focused on a scenario where you were focused on resource management and escaping from danger. So, yes, by definition, RE4 and 5 aren't really survival horror, but it's not like they should be. In practice, it's a catchall term for a game with bad controls and idiotic, nonsensical puzzles and plot progression.

A friend of mine describes RE4 and 5 as "shock horror", the games use quicktime events and sudden changes in mood to keep tension high. It's not the most intense, scary thing there is, but, realistically, it's very hard to create convincing "scary" media.

Unless, of course, they gave Sinbad another TV show. (Scream!)
Joshua
First Video: Dont remember

Postby Joshua » 01 Apr 2009, 16:34

It has been sometime sense I played code veronica, I am trying to get a hold of it through various means(I only have a 360 console so I am having a hard time.) I do remember however it being very scary but then I was young, and looking back on it I'm not sure how scarred I would be, If you ask me the epitome of the "old style" as I shall deem it was absolutely resident evil 3, the surviving really felt like you where just barely doing that, every time the nemesis would pop up, you could run from it or fight it, the fights where tough and the chases where scary as hell, or at least intense witch made me feel scared, resident evil 5 certainly has less of these moments, but I think that you need to remember at this point in the story the characters pretty much know exactly what they are heading into, after fighting these monsters for a decade I would imagine Chris would be pretty much ready to just go in guns blazing, and thats exactly what the new style represents to me is the evolution of the characters over the years, theres no more hesitation or apprehension they know what they have to do and they are there to do it. The series feels like it has been building up to this point, and now there is only one loose end left in the story.(unless that was wrapped up somewhere I am unaware of.)
We feel free when we escape--even if it be but from the frying pan into the fire.
Genghis Ares

Re: LRR GAMING PILOT: Resident Evil Discussion

Postby Genghis Ares » 14 May 2009, 00:39

So is this thing gonna happen?
Cade Antilles

Postby Cade Antilles » 14 May 2009, 08:16

Presumably, it will happen, but as I understand it, they're still in an early developmental stage. Think of it as the Blizzard approach. It'll come out when it's done.

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 14 May 2009, 11:44

It's been a problem getting everyone involved to have the time free to do it, but I believe we're shooting tomorrow.
notomtolose

Postby notomtolose » 14 May 2009, 14:47

You guys have a tough job here, I can't wait to see what you come up with. I've been thinking about RE a lot since you brought it up (played through maybe 1/4 of CV, finally got through 5), but I've had a really hard time forming any clever or interesting ideas about it.

I was hoping to be useful, but I guess I'll have to settle for being interested. :)
Hakaryu

Postby Hakaryu » 14 May 2009, 16:41

I don't really see 5 as horror of any kind. I didn't feel much dread or fear while playing it compared to another modern horror game like Silent Hill:Homecoming.

Silent Hill is one of the best examples of horror compared to the recent RE games. It has a story that's filled with dark deeds and its mythology is some of the most gruesome and scary around.
Tonberry's poked the dutch again.
Cade Antilles

Postby Cade Antilles » 14 May 2009, 17:13

Graham wrote:It's been a problem getting everyone involved to have the time free to do it, but I believe we're shooting tomorrow.

Oh, wow. You guys are a lot further along than I assumed. Cool!

WTDavies

Postby WTDavies » 14 May 2009, 18:35

Resident Evil 4 was great, although I feel that most much of the tension and excitement was generated by the player's inability to move and fire. This wasn't at all a bad thing and contributed much to the appeal of the game but once you pegged what was going on the experience, for me at least, became much more akin to playing the action hero than a desperate struggle to escape. Also after killing the big worm thing with pointed sticks Leon Kennedy was the scariest thing in the game.

So when RE5 is in development they have a problem what with this new game being essentially RE4 just all gussied up. The tension only lasts so long and players are going to master the old familiar play style, quickly rendering the zombie horde less intimidating. To compensate for this they bring in a slew of opponents that can, without any opportunity for defence or avoidance, instantly kill the player who damn well isn't expecting it the first time he meets each one.

So that was incredibly infuriating and sucked a lot of the fun right out of whole stretches of the game.
Moo hoo ha ha.
Genghis Ares

Postby Genghis Ares » 22 May 2009, 03:43

So... did this end up getting shot last week.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 22 May 2009, 08:52

Yes, it did.

Not sure when it will be ready for viewing, though. The next couple of weeks are super busy, especially for Graham.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Genghis Ares

Postby Genghis Ares » 22 May 2009, 23:56

Cool, I hope they are able to make something out it, with it being a pilot and all I guess.

Return to “Video Games”