TF2 SNIPER UPDATE!!!1

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Re: TF2 SNIPER UPDATE!!!1

Postby CyberTractor » 21 May 2009, 19:00

Does this mean that they're unlocked over time (Dear Deity, please no :()? Unlocked based on how you do? Randomly unlocked? Guh.[/quote]

I found the Deadringer in my first game, so I'm guessing its a random item drop or something. <_<;
I can't think of a signature.
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 21 May 2009, 19:03

I think you can pick new items up from dead bodies.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 21 May 2009, 22:30

A sniper was just sitting in spawn and unlocked Jarate. No idea...
I can't think of a signature.
Dave-O_Boy

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 21 May 2009, 22:38

Yeah. It appears to be all random now. I got the FAN by just standing around.

Also With everyone going Spy or Sniper, I've been rocking as a Pyro. I think I had 5 or 6 Dominations in one match.
Last edited by Dave-O_Boy on 21 May 2009, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 21 May 2009, 23:06

Yeah it is a great time to be a pyro.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 22 May 2009, 04:53

Reading through the crib notes of the update it seems that Spies can now use enemy teleporters.

Smeg. Me.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
JWSemerus

Postby JWSemerus » 22 May 2009, 06:00

Personally, I am glad that you no longer have to slog through achievements, and I think the random events are just errors that will be patched out. And reading through the notes, I do not see where it says about spies using enemy Teles.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 22 May 2009, 06:18

Steam News wrote:Spy
  • Added new revolver replacement, The Ambassador. First shot is very accurate and will cause a critical hit if it hits an enemy's head. Accuracy is poor for a period after that
  • Added new watch replacement, the Dead Ringer. When armed, you will appear in all ways to die to the first damage you take from an enemy. You'll be cloaked for 8 second after taking this damage. Upon de-cloaking you'll make a loud, distinct sound
  • Added new watch replacement, the Cloak and Dagger. Your cloak meter is only depleted when you move, so you can stay invisible indefinitely if you're standing still
  • Spy name tags now show up properly when disguised as their own team
  • Fixed a bug that would cause spectators to see disguise weapons incorrectly
  • Fixed a bug where enemy spies disguised as friendly spies would have cigarettes that didn't burn
  • Fixed a bug where overhealing disguised spies would show the wrong overhealing amount to the medic
  • Made it more obvious on first person view model when your motion cloak is out of juice and you are partially visible
  • Also made it more obvious on first person view model when you're bumped while cloaked
  • Improved the way your disguise weapon is determined to make it clearer and fix a couple of rare issues
  • Spies disguised as enemy spies now get a random mask to help complete the disguise, and their target id will be set appropriately
  • Spies disguised as medics now have an Ubercharge: line in their disguise target info
  • Spies outward facing "disguise health" now matches their disguise target when they first apply the disguise
  • Spies can now pick up health kits for their "disguise health", even when uninjured
  • Disguise UI doesn't show up in minimum UI mode (hud_minmode)
  • Spies that disguise as a player using an unlockable now show that unlockable in hand
  • Spies can now use enemy teleporters
  • Added 70 new Spy voice lines
  • Added 34 new Spy achievements
Emphasis added to all the potentially very bad things
goat

Postby goat » 22 May 2009, 07:37

Holy freaking crap. As if spies weren't enough of a pain already.
Evisr

Postby Evisr » 22 May 2009, 07:38

Those changes to spy I agree on. Makes the spy be able to disguise better across all classes now and not just a select few.

The new unlock system is WWWWWWWWWAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY better then the achievements. I never EVER understood why getting things from achievements was a good idea anyways. Sure this means you need to play alot more to get the items but now it feels alot more satisfying to get the item. Plus we won't see achievement servers (something I felt was hurting the game). It also doesn't become limited, Valve could even introduce more unlockables to the classes that have some already.

Heck someone found a bunch of hats models in the TF2 files that will probably be used in the future. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... p?t=869119
goat

Postby goat » 22 May 2009, 07:56

I was more concerned about the ability to use teleporters and having the upgraded weapons on their character.

However, I just read the full update notes, and lyinginbedmon dropped something awesome: "Flamethrower's air burst now extinguishes fire on friendly targets"

It's about freaking time. There are not nearly enough water hazards to extinguish yourself, and there are always a lot of pyros. There is a nice emerging role for the pyro as a support unit.

Also, those hats are freaking awesome.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 22 May 2009, 09:13

Engineer helmet definitely nice.

I've cooled down some after a few rounds of Well where the enemy seemed oblivious to the existence of my level 3 Sentry on the balcony of point C.

I still think having the Spy be a nigh-perfect class for what he does is going to be hazardous. Scouts move slow enough to hit but fast enough to be a challenge, Engineers build deadly stuff but it can be destroyed, now we have to spycheck everyone we see.
wedrinkritalin

Postby wedrinkritalin » 22 May 2009, 09:15

I unlocked the dead ringer while playing scout, and doing nothing special, wtf
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 22 May 2009, 09:24

Near as I can tell, they're just randomly unlocked now. It means everyone can get the unlocks without farming and regardless of ability.
Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 22 May 2009, 09:38

items are unlocked at any random time while playing, i think even while spectating.

and yes, you can get duplicates.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 22 May 2009, 10:37

It's a terrible system.

If they didn't want the items connected to achievements, RELEASE THEM ALL AT ONCE WITHOUT STRINGS ATTACHED.

~Alja~
Dave-O_Boy

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 22 May 2009, 10:39

That would make more sense.
Or have it so that when you kill someone of the corresponding class, then you have a chance to get one of those weapons.
Evisr

Postby Evisr » 22 May 2009, 11:37

jerry in http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... p?t=870853 wrote: Unlock system explained - what were they thinking?
In the end, Valve tried to implement a system that staggers the acquisition of unlocked weapons. Some players get to play with it, before others. In other words, TF2 doesn't just become 'Huntsman Arena.'

This system -

a) Further builds anticipation.
b) Allows counter strategies to be developed quicker and earlier on.
c) 'Trains' players by allowing to actively watch the unlock in action before using it.
d) Limits the number of unlocks being used at one time, trying to maintaining normal (or at least not broken) gameplay.

IMO it's a successfully designed system, except for one major flaw - Valve's miscalculation of the player community.

Valve's Intentions:
People realize that because there is nothing they can do to improve their chances of getting these unlocks, people will stop trying to get them and accept that they will be 'found' sooner or later.

Reality:
People feel 'robbed' that they can't get their new toys when they want it, and how they want it.

Personally, i don't mind the new system, but it seems the majority of TF2 players (or the forum-goers at least) do. In the end Valve made a mistake - not through the idea however, but in the delivery.

I completely agree with this post. After playing a few rounds at lunch time, I have come to realized that the system is buggy. One thing they do need to fix is the duplicates on items and have it so you can get stuff only what you don't have. Also getting unlocks while specing is really stupid too. Fix those 2 bugs and I would find the system perfect in my books.

Last thing on my mind, peoples reactions in the community is just fucked up. Its like CS community but replace all the jocks with 14 year old kids that only play heavy. (ok that's exaggerated and not everyone is like that but majority of people I see are). BLEHHH anyways I'll just shut the hell up now and play the game.
Bob The Magic Camel

Postby Bob The Magic Camel » 22 May 2009, 13:44

One bug which confused me was that if a class is overfilled then it will pick a random class, but give them the weapons of the chosen class. Meaning there was half a dozen heavies wandering around with sniper rifles. Deciding who to uber was confusing.
This signature has been intentionally left blank.

No marks will be awarded for solutions written on this signature.
whyarecarrots

Postby whyarecarrots » 22 May 2009, 14:46

Alja-Markir wrote:It's a terrible system.

If they didn't want the items connected to achievements, RELEASE THEM ALL AT ONCE WITHOUT STRINGS ATTACHED.

~Alja~

This, several thousand times over. While I like the idea of decoupling achievements from the unlocks, but just having items awarded randomly at any time when you're playing the game is just breaking a nut with a sledgehammer. Please Valve, please, either go back to the old system completely, or think up a better way of doing this: you're better than that!

Oh well: looks like it'll be Mass Effect for me for a while... (would be Oblivion as well if my disc drive hadn;t borked and stopped me from installing the damned thing...)
Lyinginbedmon wrote:Real men don't sleep!

INSOMNIA IS MANLY! HAAAH!
SimpsonsParadox

Postby SimpsonsParadox » 22 May 2009, 18:07

There are really no words to express how amazingly annoying I find this system. At least the achievement system meant that A) You knew what you were working towards and B) You were playing the class they were meant for; IE, you 'worked' for them. Was it flawed? Certainly. The answer to a flawed system is to fix it, however, not to replace it with something a thousand times more aggravating.

On the other hand, it's only been out 1 day, and the only unlock I've gotten so far is the Dead Ringer (The one item I didn't want), so I'm willing to give it more time. Just...guh.
Do, A Deer, A Female Deer
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 22 May 2009, 18:11

I got the Razorback, which I love (although I have plenty of issues with it). But I far preferred the old system. For one, you didn't end up with multiple copies of the same unlock, and because most of the achievements could be achieved through normal playing of that class, you got the unlocks you wanted as a reward for putting the time in with that class. Perfect? Not by a long shot. But at least it worked.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
whyarecarrots

Postby whyarecarrots » 23 May 2009, 01:30

I somehow get the feeling that Valve may rethink things a bit, given the outcry I've seen about this on the Steam Forums.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:Real men don't sleep!

INSOMNIA IS MANLY! HAAAH!
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 23 May 2009, 02:22

I played for three hours yesterday and got nothing.

A shame really because I was doing pretty well with sniping.
ANeMzero
First Video: 1337

Postby ANeMzero » 23 May 2009, 06:52

I don't agree with their choice to completely remove the achievement system from the weapons unlock, and I'm especially unhappy with the shoddy implementation of the new system. I mean, for a company that really drove through the concept that players should never feel removed from control of their game, its odd that they would implement a system that completely removes player control from what has become a very large aspect of game-play.

This is made even worse by their allowance of duplicate unlocks so that they can add item trading in later. What is the value in me having 2 ambassadors now so I can trade to a friend who will most likely unlock their own before the trading system gets implemented?
This again seems really unlike Valve, putting out something quite obviously half baked. Everything they do gets delayed, why not this?

I would have preferred they changed the unlock system to something more like that of COD4, allowing you to unlock items through normal play (Getting kills, completing objectives) while also supplementing the progress with a set of 1 time feats (Challenges or Achievements) that will put a substantial dent in the time needed to unlock new items.
Yes, this doesn't do away with achievement farming for items, but thats better than the current system where people can just start a server and leave their system running while they sleep to unlock items.

Edit: Lyinginbedmon, my experience is that items are unlocked roughly every 4 hours of play. :(

and, yeah, there is no real requirements for the items other than time spent on a server. I've even seen spectators unlock items. Its disgusting.
and now; back to me.

Return to “Video Games”