Root Canal, or No Root Canal?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go

Root Canal?

Yes
91%
No
9%

Total votes: 22
TorachiKatashi

Root Canal, or No Root Canal?

Postby TorachiKatashi » 29 May 2009, 17:14

I'm currently in the midst of a pretty damn painful tooth infection - the second one I've had in this tooth in the last year or so. Once it clears up (which it feels like it never will, I'm about ready to rip that entire side of my jaw out), my options are either to get a root canal, or to just get the tooth pulled out. If I just pull it out, I run the risk of still getting another infection in my gums, but... Well. I've heard nothing but horror stories about root canals, and with my new job and post-secondary starting pretty soon, I don't know if I can afford to be incapacitated for that long.

So, LRR fans, what do you think? Do I get it pulled, or do I suck it up and get the root canal? Personal experiences?
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Re: Root Canal, or No Root Canal?

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 29 May 2009, 17:33

Root Canals aren't painful or horrible. Just get one.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 29 May 2009, 17:34

It can't be any worse than what you're going through now.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Chemistring

Postby Chemistring » 29 May 2009, 17:55

I had a tooth that decided to abscess on the Friday night of a long weekend. By Tuesday morning, I was seriously considering bashing my face into the corner of a wall to distract me from the pain. I found the first dentist that would take me, they did an exam and x-rays to confirm the abscess, drilled out the bottom surface of the tooth and rinsed out the infected gunk from inside the tooth, prescribed antibiotics and recommended ibuprofen, and sent me home for a few days to let the abscess drain and the infection clear up. Simply draining the abscess relieved about 75% of the pain and the drugs took care of the rest.

That Friday they put a temporary filling on the hole in my tooth. Later the next week they started the root canal and finished half, but the second root was still a bit infected (they pack the tooth cavity with paper cones, and when they tried to pack the second root I just about jumped out of the chair - that was the only painful bit). Resealed the tooth, waited a week, finished the root canal. Almost 4 years later I finally had the money to get a crown put on - composite, with white enamel on the 'public' surface, gold on the rest (premolar, slightly visible when I smile/talk, so I don't have a blingy gold tooth).

The most painful thing was the infection, the root canal was about as painful as getting a filling. Note that I don't have any fear of dentists/drills, but DO NOT want to have a tooth pulled while I am in any way conscious. My best friend, on the other hand, was terrified of dentists, spent almost two weeks(!) with an abscessed tooth, and finally got it pulled as it was the fastest and cheapest option. In her case, it was a back molar and her wisdom tooth emerged and moved forward to fill the space...home grown new tooth!

To sum up: weigh cost, inconvenience, and tooth location, along with your personal dentist comfort level. Extraction will cost approximately half of the root canal, but has the possibility of further infections (my sister has had dry socket, and confirms it sucks) and leaves a hole in your mouth. Will this be an issue (especially if it's a front tooth)? Can you afford a dental appliance (bridge, implanted false tooth, spacer) to prevent shifting? Root canals cost more (expect approx $800-1000, depending on dentist and location), but are basically more elaborate fillings. I wasn't really incapacitated (other than dentist appointments, I didn't miss work), and once the abscess was drained the pain was easily managed with regular Advil. Crowns are also expensive (again, around $1000), but as long as you're not chewing rocks they can wait until you're in a better financial position - as a post-secondary student, you may qualify for some dental benefits to cover ongoing care or partial cost of the crown.

Good luck, these things suck!
ETA: Wow, tl;dr much? Meh, I'm leaving it. Get the root canal, have a zombie tooth.
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 29 May 2009, 18:44

I would personally get the root canal because I wouldn't want to get a fake tooth... I've never had a root canal but I feel like nowadays they aren't as bad as they used to be.

Also, if you don't have insurance or have a copay or whatever, do whatever is cheaper
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 29 May 2009, 19:08

My boss had an abscessed tooth, and he said the root canal was no big thing compared to the unimaginable pain the abscess itself caused.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Hakaryu

Postby Hakaryu » 29 May 2009, 19:12

Go with the root canal. the anaesthetic is good enough now of days that you don't feel jack.
Tonberry's poked the dutch again.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 29 May 2009, 19:28

Please. Get the root canal. You go in, they dope you up, do some drilling, and then you feel better.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 29 May 2009, 19:56

Think long-term.

Think root canal.

*This message approved by the CDAA.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 29 May 2009, 20:01

From my (limited) knowledge (mostly acquired from this thread), have the root canal. I have a fairly high resistance to regular painkillers and the like, but proper anesthesia, like they'll give you before a root canal, has always being fully effective and I haven't felt a thing whenever I've had to have work done.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
It's My Delorean
First Video: commodore hustle 06
Location: The Omniverse International™ campus, The Moon Nation of Omnibus, Universe 64

Postby It's My Delorean » 30 May 2009, 01:34

Root Canal, or Route Kanal?

i can honestly say, I don't like dentists, so apart from the weak in-joke/pun, I really have nothing to add, except, I hope your dentist is a decent bloke, unlike mine.
Co-Owner of Omniverse International

DmitriW wrote:
It's My Delorean wrote:..However, provided you agree with my plan for Titan as detailed above...

I'm so down with that plan.

I don't actually own a Delorean...
Tetsubo

Postby Tetsubo » 30 May 2009, 02:45

I had a root canal done. While I despise injections the rest of the process wasn't that bad. I eventually had a crown made for that tooth. It was expensive but it didn't make me miss any work. I say get the root canal.
--
Tetsubo
--------------------------------------
Deviant Art: http://ironstaff.deviantart.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/tetsubo57
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 30 May 2009, 09:57

Get the root canal; dentistry has come a long way since 'horror stories' about that procedure were in the public consciousness, and the dentists around here are pretty good, anyway.

And tell me you're not 18 yet, and your folks are 'poor': "13- to 17-year-olds living in families with low incomes."

MCP Dental Health Plan

...or maybe you've got private dental coverage or are covered by a parent's private plan.
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 31 May 2009, 17:43

Root Canal if and when you can afford it. Until then learn to hew on the other side. It helps if you know someone who works in a hospital or nursing home and can score you free antibiotics if it acts up too (my own personal experience is similar to yours, I need a root canal. I don't have insurance or money so I can't. I'm careful to chew on the other side of my mouth now.) There are also dental colleges that will do those services for cheaper than a dentist proper.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 31 May 2009, 18:02

Jillers wrote:It helps if you know someone who works in a hospital or nursing home and can score you free antibiotics

That would be illegal.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 31 May 2009, 23:03

Cake wrote:
Jillers wrote:It helps if you know someone who works in a hospital or nursing home and can score you free antibiotics

That would be illegal.

If there were no prescription involved, yes. If they were prescribed/ordered, the issue of payment is between you and the pharmacy.
Amake
First Video: Le Cafe

Postby Amake » 30 Dec 2013, 02:19

My mom said her root canal was more painful than giving birth. I had one that hurt like blunt red hot iron nails being shoved straight into a naked nerve and held there for over a minute. Three times. Cause they had to inject painkiller into each of the three nerves of the tooth. I guess they make the procedure less painful every decade, but the question you gotta ask yourself, is having one tooth more worth the risk?

Personally I've had eight teeth pulled (three baby teeth, one wisdom), and I don't know why people get so attached to them. Teeth give you nothing but pain and trouble if you ask me. But eventually, if you care for them badly enough, you get cyborg teeth instead that are strong enough to eat regular teeth.
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 30 Dec 2013, 08:04

Think of it as a question of confirmation bias.

You never hear about the ones where it goes right, while the bad experiences are amplified and repeated. If you're scared... Maybe there are some objective statistics out there?
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 30 Dec 2013, 08:12

why did this get bumped?
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 30 Dec 2013, 08:12

Just keep one thing in mind:

The longer you leave it, the worse it'll be. Whichever you decide, Get it done, then get ice cream. Both as soon as humanly possible.

Seriously.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 30 Dec 2013, 08:59

Guys, this got bumped by a spambot. Might be better to let it die again. I'm pretty sure Torachi got it sorted in the last 4 years :P
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 30 Dec 2013, 09:41

Wow! Yeah, 4 years would be rather too long to leave it. Did not spot that.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Amake
First Video: Le Cafe

Postby Amake » 30 Dec 2013, 12:50

Time is an illusion, especially post times.

(At least that's my excuse for never looking at them.)
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 31 Dec 2013, 02:54

Lunchtime, doubly so.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Return to “General Discussion”