The Joystique

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Aziraphale

Re: The Joystique

Postby Aziraphale » 09 Jun 2009, 09:49

Fantastic video! Wish the console manufacturers would watch this carefully.
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 09 Jun 2009, 09:51

Charles wrote:A) hell to program for?
B) incapable of doing anything well other than a few hard-coded tasks that were put in for demonstration purposes?
C) Even if it does work perfectly fine, it won't be at all fun to play games with?

The Wii, everyone! Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all day.

Disclosure: I have a launch-day Wii and (occasionally) enjoy playing it (every few months).
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)
iEatNinjaZ
Location: My Amazing Underwater World of Underwater Wonder That Is Under The Water™

Postby iEatNinjaZ » 09 Jun 2009, 09:55

gcninja wrote:why does matt make such a great spokes person?

He knows how to bullshit.

Great video but the future of gaming is the joydick
Last edited by iEatNinjaZ on 09 Jun 2009, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 09 Jun 2009, 09:55

I also have a launch wii. and occasionally enjoy playing it. (appx. 2-3 times a year).

-m

I am not angry at you.
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 09 Jun 2009, 10:13

This was a nice video, but the joke was extended far too long. 5 minutes long and only a small amount of jokes were actually made? Meh.
I can't think of a signature.
Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 09 Jun 2009, 10:17

Eh. I didn't really find this video funny. I mean I get the jokes and I can see how they can be funny but I didn't laugh. It's cool though, every single video can't be hilarious.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 09 Jun 2009, 10:30

I really enjoyed that vid, but the biggest thing I noticed was no one at the press conference was at all surprised. I mean, if I was at the E3 press conference when Nintendo unveiled the Vitality Sensor, I would have yelled, rather loudly, my surprise. Most likely with lots of swearing.

I mean, honestly? A sensor...to read your heart rate...while playing a video game? What the hell?
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Sillyman
First Video: No idea

Postby Sillyman » 09 Jun 2009, 10:49

Hey guys, I heard the Wii just ripped off the Joystique. They're calling it a "Nunchuk". Same two buttons, even! Man, this lack of originality is appalling.
Multiversal Coordinate System syntax:
MCS:S:C:G:S:P:LAT,LNG;
YYYYDDDHHMMSSmmmuuunnnpppfffaaazzzyyy..plancktimesgohere..;
ID.
The location and time portions can be truncated. Time is Earth (MCS:0:0:0:0:3;;0.) time.
Sauter

Postby Sauter » 09 Jun 2009, 12:56

Vaughn wrote:I was kind of expecting a penis joke since the very beginning >_<
I suppose i should be glad it never showed up, and that it was still awesome though.

Whoa! I was expecting the very same thing and I feel the very same way.

Anyways, I like things like this and Right to the Source. They don't make me laugh out loud, no, but I like them in a way that's better than laughing out loud.
Cade Antilles
First Video: Man Cooking - The Gigantor

Postby Cade Antilles » 09 Jun 2009, 13:32

Sauter wrote:
Vaughn wrote:I was kind of expecting a penis joke since the very beginning >_<
I suppose i should be glad it never showed up, and that it was still awesome though.

Whoa! I was expecting the very same thing and I feel the very same way.

Anyways, I like things like this and Right to the Source. They don't make me laugh out loud, no, but I like them in a way that's better than laughing out loud.

As I believe Graham stated:
Graham wrote:The "entire portion" Matt is referring to is only about 20 seconds, but it does have that penis joke Vaughn was waiting for.

So, wait for the "Director's Cut". ;)
"May the Force rock you!"

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
Over-analytical Nerd
First Video: Somebody Has to Change

Postby Over-analytical Nerd » 09 Jun 2009, 13:54

Matt, your skills at direct satire and deadpan delivery are commendable. This type of comedy isn't my first choice for laughs, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. The jokes sprinkled throughout were also very good.

I can't help but feel awkward when someone with the same name as me is in a video. There's something weird about hearing your name (in this case, Justin, btw) like that.

In response to the comment about Natal sounding like a vacation destination, Khatanga anybody?

My goodness, the technology these days...Astounding...
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 09 Jun 2009, 14:20

For the record, Project Natal was actually named for the city in brazil that has been mentioned in this thread.

-m

I am not angry at you.
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 09 Jun 2009, 14:48

not the region(?) of South Africa then?
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
ad134

Postby ad134 » 09 Jun 2009, 15:26

This video. YES. I was waiting for a line like that at the end, to stick (no pun intended) in my signatures in forums and things. Perfectly delivered as well.

"When it comes to precise control and maximum enjoyment, NOTHING compares to a joystick."

It's all Nintendo's fault. The bastards.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 09 Jun 2009, 16:14

ad134, since you spelled it out so clearly, I just noticed. Are you guys sure that last line ("When it comes to precise control and maximum enjoyment, NOTHING compares to a joystick.") is NOT, in fact, a dick joke. It seems like a double entendre to me.

Maybe I'm just weird.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Arpijy

Postby Arpijy » 09 Jun 2009, 17:55

Somehow I have a feeling this will be funnier trying to explain it to people than actually seeing it, but either way, good stuff.

I'd like to think this would shut up all those people saying motion controls are dumb if this actually existed, but I'd probably be wrong. Let's face it, you can never tell with the internet.
Sillyman

Postby Sillyman » 09 Jun 2009, 20:39

Arpijy wrote:I'd like to think this would shut up all those people saying motion controls are dumb if this actually existed, but I'd probably be wrong. Let's face it, you can never tell with the internet.

As seen earlier in the thread, it's much more likely that they'll take it seriously and be encouraged to continue.
ID.
The location and time portions can be truncated. Time is Earth (MCS:0:0:0:0:3;;0.) time.
roronoa_zolo

Postby roronoa_zolo » 09 Jun 2009, 20:45

This is my first post! I like the canadian-friendly spelling. That was for our friends in Quebec, oui? Le Joystique est tres bien, non? I wasn't really alive for the days of the joystick, but I assume the one you guys made was much improved over the old one, haha.
P.S. You may remember me from the Oak Bay Teaparty, LRR crew. I was wearing a green hoodie :).
orn310
First Video: Daylight Savings

Postby orn310 » 09 Jun 2009, 22:01

Honestly... This is what we Fu**ing Need right now.. I'm actualy sick of Console Designers coming out with this overcomplicated technology in order for us to control our games! I mean Come ON! The Control pad I can understand, even the Keyboard and Mouse Combo, but once you get into Motion tracking, Motion Sensing, and all that other shit, it:
1. Locks out Third Party Developers (By making them learn how to use the piece of tech to use in their game)
2. Makes it Difficult for the gamer to understand (there is a Learning curve for everything... and giving each game a different control turns that Curve up to ҈ and Turns it up one notch more)
3. Locks out the Homebrewing Community (trust me... don't even dare get me started on this one)
4. Can look Fu**ing RETARDED (Take Sony's Ping-Pong ball on a stick, I wouldn't be caught dead waving one of those things around, for the fear that I would look like a Five year old, trying to Defend himself from the Grapist at Disney Land, Wearing Nothing but a Thong, With a 20 cm piece of Ribbon (which have Inscribed on it "I am Gay)
So I dare say I want... No... I NEED A CONTROL SET that isn't just a Camera, or two sticks that I flail around like a retard trying to get at something, that is 5 feet away from him, behind a freshly clean plate of glass... or So Help ME GOD I will stick to PC gaming from now on. (Added Bonus: NO MORE PAYING FOR FREAKING INTERNET THAT I ALREADY GET!!!!!!)

Now then, WHO'S WITH ME?!
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 10 Jun 2009, 00:03

I love how some people are so against change.

You can still play the same games you were going to play with or without this. Its just another way to get some casual people on board and have everyone try something new. If it works, great, if not, great. Nothing will change.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 10 Jun 2009, 00:25

Genghis Ares wrote:I love how some people are so against change.
I'm not against change, in fact I've already said the Natal is absolutely amazing technology that I am really excited about. But I don't see what the problem is with a standard controller, and it bothers me to see all these companies pouring money into "the next amazing innovation" when they could be making great games the current stuff.
HOWEVER, I'll be very excited to see what they can do with Natal.

Genghis Ares wrote:Nothing will change.
Not so.
Having said how excited I'll be, things will change. The head of EA, the largest games publisher in the world, has said that he expects 50% of all gaming to become motion based in the next several years. That worries me greatly, especially after they've already put nearly half of their resources into Wii-only content.
Splunge

Postby Splunge » 10 Jun 2009, 00:51

Stay tuned for the next great controller from LRRtech: Project Paddal!

Fun is the feedback the brain gives while successfully absorbing a pattern - Raph Koster
I'm think I might be indirectly responsible for Bagel Time!
Chfan

Postby Chfan » 10 Jun 2009, 02:25

Cool! Where can I get one?

/sarcasm
Well, hallo there.
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 10 Jun 2009, 03:49

Graham wrote:
Genghis Ares wrote:I love how some people are so against change.
I'm not against change, in fact I've already said the Natal is absolutely amazing technology that I am really excited about. But I don't see what the problem is with a standard controller, and it bothers me to see all these companies pouring money into "the next amazing innovation" when they could be making great games the current stuff.
HOWEVER, I'll be very excited to see what they can do with Natal.

Genghis Ares wrote:Nothing will change.
Not so.
Having said how excited I'll be, things will change. The head of EA, the largest games publisher in the world, has said that he expects 50% of all gaming to become motion based in the next several years. That worries me greatly, especially after they've already put nearly half of their resources into Wii-only content.

To be honest, the head of game publishers and developer say stuff like this all the time.

I'm just saying that as far as being a gamer goes, they will never get rid of the controller short of making Better Than Life or holographic controllers.

Some games will be made for this, some might work really well and seem like a real full game that we are used to, but we need buttons for a lot of the games we play, and if this can substitute that then more power to them, but the change won't be for us, the hardcore audience. What I perceive the EA head is saying is more to do with a rise in casual gaming and not an actual flucuation in volume that will occur across the board in favor for motion controls.

The number of game players will just reach a higher integer and the casual market will rise, which will then make that 50% number more accurate. For me, not much will change until the games I want to play require a dozen less buttons.

Now I wasn't saying any of you were against change(maybe orn310).

I am right behind new technology getting into games. As long as it works and I can have fun, I will. I think the technology will be really good for getting the immersion levels a lot higher. If someone can put this and Fallout together and be seamless then I'll be more than completely satisfied. And I'd probably get 300% more exercise running away from Albino Radscorpions.
Sillyman

Postby Sillyman » 10 Jun 2009, 09:52

orn310 wrote:3. Locks out the Homebrewing Community (trust me... don't even dare get me started on this one)

*cough* *cough*
ID.

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”