Economic Stimulus

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Narrator

Re: Economic Stimulus

Postby Narrator » 15 Jun 2009, 20:30

Andy, Andy, Andy... it's all about Andy? Aye, he's a born entertainer - triple threat powerhouse, whose presence deserves to be felt by all; stoking the fires in appreciation for talent in theatre - but that was already expected with his name on the credits.

To be fair, I have to agree that some of Kathleen's stuff has been hit-or-not-quite-there. What was that line from the last c-Hustle? "like gold, but misses the point somewhat". I'd never call it bad, because that's unfair, compared to the stuff out there in this world that is TRULY BAD - it just didn't do it for me.
But "meh" moments aside, I find Kathleen's work overall to be truly endearing. I think the first one that comes to mind was the rant on female comics, which is something that might have come across as contrived, but succeeds quite nicely.

And then there's this. SHEER GENIUS. I took a little class in college called "Philosophy: Critical Thinking" which basically broke down the structure of an "argument", and analyzed flaws in reasoning and discussion. We even reviewed a list of fallacies, and I think Kathleen in her sales pitch comitted every single one. Constantly detracting from the point, side-swiping the issue, flawed logic that seems perfectly reasonable, on and on it reads like a how-to on generating fallacies; this was really well written, and it jumped at me right from the get-go. Yes, Andy's thunder was completely stolen by Kathleen on this one. At least for me. The dialogue was great, had me laughing the whole way through. Outlandish yet still strangely believable. Took a simple idea and executed it beautifully.

Also! I loved the title shot! Very nicely done, using the lens flare off the sun :D
=Burger, Fries, Chocolate Shake; Some one's mind I is about to take!=
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 15 Jun 2009, 20:32

curbee wrote:When life gives you lemons, you make lemon-aids.

Correction: When life gives you lemon, you get someone with lemon-aids to make you lemon-aid.

--

Thought: I wonder if people not involved heard Kathleen shouting, and what exactly there thoughts were on the whole thing.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Unclever title

Postby Unclever title » 15 Jun 2009, 20:39

Personally I like the whole build up of the allegory and then immediately destroy it at the end in a parallel situation.

In one way it's a testament to general human inconsistency and sometimes hypocrisy, on the other hand it's hilarious.

Not to mention taken out of context (of the previous scene) Andy's delivery of "I LOVE LIMES!" was funny by itself, though not as funny without the juxtaposition. It's really the momentary stunned look before he shouts out the line that gets me. It's almost like he's been waiting a long long time for some LimonaideTM but he hadn't realized it until just that moment. Like someone just offered him the best thing ever!

So we have some light socio-economic commentary with some long standing entertainment tradition of the pushy salesperson mixed thoroughly in with humor and then add a dash of "guest star" from Andy, top it off with great comedic timing and, as always, editing and you have a cool glass of LRRmenaide.

That'll be $12.00.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Also did I mention ANDY? Mostly we're excited because we don't get that much of Andy. He's like a cool glass of LimonaideTM in a sea of lemonaide. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the lemonaide it's great (aside from that Unionized crap, blech!) but LimonaideTM is rare and great!

Anyway that's enough metaphors, I'm going to bed.
My train of thought is more like a roller coaster that has loop de loops and no safety bars.
I don't know if I'm tall enough to ride.
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 15 Jun 2009, 20:40

Great Video. I love the ending with Paul. "I love Limes! Make it a Triple!"

And the way I saw the video, Lemonade is a bad product/company/union being bailed out because they have a lot of people and not because the product is important or even good. Limeade is a "company" who makes a good product(ala Andy's exclamtion that he love limes) and is the one that should prosper, or get the business.
Last edited by Genghis Ares on 15 Jun 2009, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
.Secret8znMan.

Postby .Secret8znMan. » 15 Jun 2009, 20:50

If lemonade is made by children with lemond-AIDS...

does that mean that the limeade is made by children with Lyme Disease and Lime-AIDS?
Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 15 Jun 2009, 20:53

Yay Andy! He is so awesome and talented! Oh and Kathleen and Paul were good too.

:P
Bento

Postby Bento » 15 Jun 2009, 20:55

I LOVE LIMES!! LOL
When the God's wish to punish us, they answer our prayers -Oscar Wilde
RoomKeyNinja

Postby RoomKeyNinja » 15 Jun 2009, 20:56

Love the Andy. Needs more Andy.

So far as the 'I love limes' ending goes, the way I saw it, there's a brief look of dread on Andy's face, and he decides to give in and simply be the consumer whore (Give me a triple!) rather than have to find out about Unions Paul may belong to, the condition of the orphans that make it, or push another industry into a government bailout...

But, I could be wrong. The line is also just funny. Much like 'The Gorilla took all my pants'. There's not really a context needed
Is eternally grateful to Misty for this .gif
Also plotting how to destroy Bill, as all Ninjas should
unknowngamer

Postby unknowngamer » 15 Jun 2009, 21:14

At the end, when Paul pushes the lime-ade, I fully expected Andy to either blow chunks or punch Paul in the face. Having Andy shout "I LOVE LIMES!" was completely unexpected, and made me laugh till my sides hurt.

Hilariously written, and great cinematography as well. I do have one question, though; why are Jer and Paul credited as boom operators? You guys don't usually mention whoever holds the mic for the videos.
theashigaru
First Video: The Con

Postby theashigaru » 15 Jun 2009, 21:24

Definitely my favorite regular update video in quite some time. Obviously Andy... well, nothing more needs be said about that.

I also approve of using the sun as your 'O' in the title.

The sketch in general hearkened me back to that Calvin & Hobbes strip about lemonade selling.
Here actually: http://pecuniarities.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/calvineconomics.jpg

And one more thing, Kathleen's lines in about the first minute sounds a LOT like something Matt would say in a video. I could almost hear Matt saying them instead of Kathleen. Just something strange I noticed. After that it began to sound more like Kathleen-ish dialogue.

Overall, quite well done!
Is it safe?
James
LRR Crew

Postby James » 15 Jun 2009, 21:26

Hakaryu wrote:He looks good with the longer hair.

LOL. I am pretty sure the day after filming this he got a hair cut
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 15 Jun 2009, 21:27

Considering the rarity of his appearances, I'm pretty sure Andy can grow it out for his next appearance with time to spare, if he wanted to.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Flewellyn

Postby Flewellyn » 15 Jun 2009, 21:36

I love the stuff Kathleen writes. It's always so weird and dark and goofy.

This was exceptional. Especially her shouting "WE'RE TOO BIG TO FAIL!"

And then Andy's "I LOVE LIMES!" Heehee...
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 15 Jun 2009, 21:51

According to Kathleen, in a joking response, the limes are Honda. Or Japanese cars in general.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 15 Jun 2009, 22:04

We need more Andy! He made this video for me. Well, technically speaking, Kathleen made it but Andrew's acting just brought this to life for me.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 15 Jun 2009, 22:29

Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Shaun832

Postby Shaun832 » 15 Jun 2009, 22:38

I support the IBoLP!
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Postby Kathleen » 15 Jun 2009, 22:51

Glad you guys liked the video!

The original ending had a small child offering limeaid to Andy, and he just slugs the poor kid. This idea was nixed because
a) where are we going to find a kid who can do a good stage punch
b) who is ever going to let me near their kid at all...

So Andy, Paul, Graham, Jer and I brainstormed a bit to come up with a new ending. I'm glad everyone likes it!

And yes, I did take a fair amount of joy in writing the most incorrect, least compelling argument for a product ever.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
Lawman
First Video: 3 PS3s

Postby Lawman » 15 Jun 2009, 22:53

Question to Kathleen: Did you feel awkward having to shout your final speech at the top of your lungs in public?
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 15 Jun 2009, 23:16

i had an extremely similar argument with a greenpeace girl once.
great writing and acting all 'round. nice to see the return of the Andy.
Exachix
First Video: The Shavening

Postby Exachix » 16 Jun 2009, 00:09

That was an awesome video. I will never look at lemonade in the same way again.

Also horray for the return of Andy!
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 16 Jun 2009, 00:13

Kathleen's performance was every bit as good as Andy's in this, good job on having the balls (or not, I suspose) to shout that last section.

Is it just me, or is Paul always in the stingers in videos?
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 16 Jun 2009, 00:15

Quite enjoyed this one. I, too, like the use of the sun as the "O" in the title. All the performances were strong, though I admit I cringed more than laughed at the pus talk.

Kathleen, you are brave to yell those last few lines with all those houses around you.
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
Sk8sheep24
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Sk8sheep24 » 16 Jun 2009, 00:29

Ahh lemonaids, that brings back memories. I used to joke about random, childish stuff like that with a mate of mine, but then he went off to work for the council and I stayed on into higher/further education and we don't see each other as much, so lots less STD-citrus-fruit combos filled my life.
Anyway great video. "I love limes", awesomeness. Not sure, but I think it is a much stronger ending than the hitting of children, which would also have been funny. (besides, you don't want any more rumours about the LLR crew hitting innocent people. First girls, now this =P)
And thanks for the small nostalgia trip.
zico

Postby zico » 16 Jun 2009, 00:45

Awesome - just awesome. Really funny video you wrote there, Kathleen.
Andy did - as always - a great job. Like already said: The born entertainer. Not that the other LRR members are ... well ... uhm ... how get I out of here ...
Uhm... my god: It's ANDY!

And the ending joke - just crazy! Fell off my chair .... head still hurts.

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”