Morgan is Going on a Trip

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Cade Antilles
First Video: Man Cooking - The Gigantor

Re: Morgan is Going on a Trip

Postby Cade Antilles » 09 Jun 2009, 12:26

Morgan wrote:Bitch, you know the side, world motherfucking wide

Muthafuckas don't mess with KillahByte, yo. Shee-it!
"May the Force rock you!"

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
TimeCruiserMike
First Video: 1337

Postby TimeCruiserMike » 09 Jun 2009, 18:06

i dunno . .. SF just sounds dumb. . . sanfran rolls off the tongue more easily, besides. . . it's too easy to confuse it with San Fernando
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 09 Jun 2009, 19:05

Or, you know, you could call it San Francisco, which is its name, and not try to shorten something that's really not all that long a name anyway.

Every shortening I've heard sounds weird.

Awesome! Well, I actually have no car, and am kind of stuck at my hotel (which is actually in Sunnyvale which is just outside San Jose), but maybe if I find someone to get me a ride into the city we could do lunch or something? Or, you know, you're still welcome to stay here... free continental breakfast! :D But... I don't really have any sort of transportation, which is a problem.

But I really want to meet Morgan!
His_Ryanness
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming (I think)

Postby His_Ryanness » 09 Jun 2009, 23:08

AlexanderDitto wrote:Or, you know, you could call it San Francisco, which is its name, and not try to shorten something that's really not all that long a name anyway.

This is so similar to the thing I was going to say that if the thing I was going to say were really narcissistic it would want to make love to what you said. Seriously people, just call it San Francisco. You can't possibly be in that much of a hurry.

I mused about the possibility of offering my place for when he ventures north of the border again, but I live in a dorm (albeit an apartment-style one) with roommates that I'd have to okay it with, and there's a 48 hour limit on guests. Also, we're not very interesting. Neither is Kitchener-Waterloo.
This signature has been designed by neuroscientists to render you sterile upon reading.
Morgan
LRR Crew

Postby Morgan » 10 Jun 2009, 10:01

if you want to come visit 'frisco(lol) feel free. i am down to hang out. that said, while i am volunteering i can't really leave the city.
Cade Antilles

Postby Cade Antilles » 10 Jun 2009, 10:15

AlexanderDitto wrote:Or, you know, you could call it San Francisco, which is its name, and not try to shorten something that's really not all that long a name anyway.

I only use the abbreviations when typing it. San Francisco gets tiring to type over and over again. So, like I said, I speak the full name, 'cause, that's its name.

And, "Frisco" and "San Fran" get on my nerves when I hear or see them (consequently, typing this sentence made me cringe). And I'm not from, or even like, that damn city.

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
Morgan
LRR Crew

Postby Morgan » 10 Jun 2009, 14:41

how can you not love s'isco? it's so awesome in every way! the only way it could be better is if it were berlin. speaking of which, that is my next destination!

Gobukiller

Postby Gobukiller » 10 Jun 2009, 21:08

I'd offer a couch if I lived alone.

But I don't.

So I can't.

I'll buy you a beer, though... You gotta stop someplace between DC and Orlando, right? I don't know if you're gonna make it that far, but a night in Charlotte can be fun, and if you go the extra distance to my town, there's a great microbrewery here with really good European and American style beer...
(Not Gosukiller. I do not watch Dragon Ball Z)
Cade Antilles

Postby Cade Antilles » 11 Jun 2009, 08:22

Morgan wrote:how can you not love s'isco? it's so awesome in every way! the only way it could be better is if it were berlin. speaking of which, that is my next destination!

More power to the people who love it. My problem with it: horrible layout, evil traffic, dirty and smelly (I've routinely stepped in piss puddles almost every time I've been there), terrible parking, everything's over-priced, and more rude people than I typically encounter (and I'm from the Silicon Valley!).

Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 11 Jun 2009, 08:27

Cade Antilles wrote:
Morgan wrote:how can you not love s'isco? it's so awesome in every way! the only way it could be better is if it were berlin. speaking of which, that is my next destination!

More power to the people who love it. My problem with it: horrible layout, evil traffic, dirty and smelly (I've routinely stepped in piss puddles almost every time I've been there), terrible parking, everything's over-priced, and more rude people than I typically encounter (and I'm from the Silicon Valley!).

You just discribed every major city I've ever been to.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
Cade Antilles

Postby Cade Antilles » 11 Jun 2009, 12:39

Dave-O_Boy wrote:
Cade Antilles wrote:

You just discribed every major city I've ever been to.

While that description does easily apply to a number of cities, I feel that San Francisco is the worst. And I've been to enough big cities to get a good sampling. Los Angeles comes close, but San Francisco still takes the cake in my book.

Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 11 Jun 2009, 13:06

As much as I hate Utah, I have to admit that Salt Lake City's grid system is brilliant. You can find ANYTHING there if you know the address.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Gobukiller

Postby Gobukiller » 11 Jun 2009, 22:32

That's a big advantage of a planned city... Although, to me, it makes it lose a little bit of character...
(Not Gosukiller. I do not watch Dragon Ball Z)
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 11 Jun 2009, 23:08

My city is composed out of the amalgamation of the original town on the river, the trainyards that were further down the river, and the communities that sprung up along the nearby highway, as they all branched out. As a result we have a lot of intersections where the roads meet each other at 30-45 degree angles. Not to mention all the weird loops and things.....I've never quite figure out the layout of my city, its not worth the effort.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
TimeCruiserMike
First Video: 1337

Postby TimeCruiserMike » 12 Jun 2009, 00:26

cities built around bodies of water and mountain ranges are going to have screwball street systems . . . cities built in utah probably don't have that problem
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 12 Jun 2009, 05:24

Madison, Wisconsin was originaly built so all roads lead to the capitol which has its charms. That was when Madison required little more than isthmus to house its population. It outgrew that strip of land rather quickly.

Urban sprawl seems to destroy even the best laid plans. There may have been a rhyme and reason to Chicago when it first started booming, but I haven't spent enough time studying it to figure it out, because the geographical area is so large it's a pointless exercise. I'd give up a little bit of character for knowing where the hell I am without a GPS.
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 12 Jun 2009, 17:00

Looks like I am going to be in the city tomorrow... hm... but... I wonder what's the best way to do this? I'm going with a bunch of fellow interns, and we'll be visiting the zoo, and probably some other stuff? Alas! I fear Morgan is going to slip through my fingers again!
Morgan
LRR Crew

Postby Morgan » 12 Jun 2009, 18:38

i am in the mission. i'd be down to chill with you guys if there is some way to meet up.

Morgan
LRR Crew

Postby Morgan » 16 Jun 2009, 09:50

ok, i'm retarded and lost my journal with contact info. i know i had it within 20 minutes of getting to the house i'm currently staying at which is extra frustrating because it really should be showing up. i'm sorry to everyone who's info i just lost. gonna keep a log of it online now. anyone who gave me info via PM, i no longer have any of it. if you contacted me via facebook, i will just go back through all those messages and re-acquire everything.

Cade Antilles

Postby Cade Antilles » 16 Jun 2009, 23:40

Morgan wrote:ok, i'm retarded and lost my journal with contact info. i know i had it within 20 minutes of getting to the house i'm currently staying at which is extra frustrating because it really should be showing up. i'm sorry to everyone who's info i just lost. gonna keep a log of it online now. anyone who gave me info via PM, i no longer have any of it. if you contacted me via facebook, i will just go back through all those messages and re-acquire everything.

Ok, since my info was via PM, I re-sent it to you on Facebook this time.

Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 17 Jun 2009, 00:09

Morgan wrote:ok, i'm retarded and lost my journal with contact info. i know i had it within 20 minutes of getting to the house i'm currently staying at which is extra frustrating because it really should be showing up. i'm sorry to everyone who's info i just lost. gonna keep a log of it online now. anyone who gave me info via PM, i no longer have any of it. if you contacted me via facebook, i will just go back through all those messages and re-acquire everything.

As I do not use Facebook I have resent my invite via PM. Good luck!
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 17 Jun 2009, 05:44

Evil Jim wrote:As I do not use Facebook...

A brave man. Or a brave man with sadly limited broadband. :(
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 17 Jun 2009, 09:39

I'm just not interested in Facebook.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 17 Jun 2009, 09:56

I have a lot of issues with Facebook, the name included.

A book of faces? Makes me think of Evil Dead, in a bad way.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 17 Jun 2009, 10:06

Cade Antilles wrote:The locals will call it "The City" or "SF" (and sometimes "Frisco", but uncommon). "San Fran" is used by tourists and newcomers. I'm not from San Francisco, but I hate hearing it called "Frisco" and "San Fran". So, I either call it by its whole, unabbreviated name or "SF" if I want to be quick.

In a similar vein, only transmogrified to my home state of Louisiana, I hate people who think that the colloquial pronunciation of New Orleans is "N'awlins." Not even the most cajun of cajuns pronounces it "N'awlins." There is no existing accent that excises complete syllables from words and phrases.

Return to “General Discussion”