Buttstallation

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Re: Buttstallation

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 22 Jun 2009, 15:21

Not really, the PS2 has a lot of shortcomings even for it's generation and the PS2 just....sucks.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 22 Jun 2009, 15:21

By the way I keep replaying the first 20 or so seconds of this video because I like the sound of the various tools on Jame's belt clinking together as he moves.

Just saying.
Teekay

Postby Teekay » 22 Jun 2009, 15:28

Lyinginbedmon wrote:I too can confirm that the philosophy debates were pretty accurate, one of my close friends loves to espouse and argue philosophical topics with me, who usually offers the "rational" and scientific point of view where she refutes it based on various theories of perception and reality.

You have one of those friends too? Glad to know it's not just me.

Great video, and the intro especially hit home for me since for a while my friends had taken it upon themselves to frequently state that I have no butt. Like every conceivable occasion. Maybe I should get some contracting done ... know anyone willing to give an estimate on prices?
ExplodingSims

Postby ExplodingSims » 22 Jun 2009, 15:52

Well, This has to be one of my new favorite videos.
It seemed VERY reminiscent of Monty Python. All you need now is The Colonel.

It's....

LRR's Flying Circus-s-s-s
He who would sacrifice a little liberty for a little security deserves neither.
Currently Failing my way through college.
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 22 Jun 2009, 16:22

I can't say it reminded me of Python in the slightest as I was watching it. I don't remember the scene from Python with the Colonel, and I didn't feel that just because the video was weird and random in the middle it was Pythonesque. It may be inspired by Python, but that's not quite the same thing.

In fact, it felt like, well... LRR.
Bento

Postby Bento » 22 Jun 2009, 16:49

Holy Crap! I never realized that my fellow philosophy majors should unite together and form a gang. WE COULD RULE WORLD...IF IT'S ETHICALLY SOUND...AND IF WE CAN FIGURE OUT THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN SUBJECT AND POWER. You know what forget it.
When the God's wish to punish us, they answer our prayers -Oscar Wilde
Chfan

Postby Chfan » 22 Jun 2009, 16:53

Well, what can be said. Incoherency begets genius.
Well, hallo there.
Bento

Postby Bento » 22 Jun 2009, 17:00

ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:I can't say it reminded me of Python in the slightest as I was watching it. I don't remember the scene from Python with the Colonel, and I didn't feel that just because the video was weird and random in the middle it was Pythonesque. It may be inspired by Python, but that's not quite the same thing.

In fact, it felt like, well... LRR.

UMMM your wrong. Part of this sketch was directly inspired and maybe quoted the sketch "Silliest Interview We've Ever Done" It's irrelevant thought. You seem to think that if they are adopted their style it means they're bad, which is not the case. This sketch still has fun, innovative writing and theme.
Last edited by Bento on 22 Jun 2009, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
When the God's wish to punish us, they answer our prayers -Oscar Wilde
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 22 Jun 2009, 17:03

That doesn't mean he has to be reminded of something he's never seen.
mxd3496

Postby mxd3496 » 22 Jun 2009, 17:04

Hmm, This one just didn't do it for me. Maybe I'm just not familiar with the references, or I need to see it a few more times. Or I may just not go for the sillier sketches, hence why I don't watch much Monty Python and don't know the reference. I'll be curious to hear the podcast for this one as the podcasts often give me a new view and appreciation for the videos.
gryffinp

Postby gryffinp » 22 Jun 2009, 17:12

goat wrote:How'd you guys find that wall to paint? Is that the outside of the moonbase or something?

Yeah those were special effects. They're getting really good though. I knew it was effects when I saw it, but looking back I have no idea how I knew that, nor what exactly it was.

COMMENTS:

I was totally thrown by the change in direction. I was finding it slightly amusing, but I was laughing more about the fact that the "Work order" was clearly visible as the script. Then suddenly the fourth wall vanished.

Regarding the ending: I very clearly saw it coming, but I regard that not as a failing of the script and more of a side effect of reading WAY, WAY too much TVtropes.

I liked it!

EDIT:
mxd3496 wrote:Hmm, This one just didn't do it for me. Maybe I'm just not familiar with the references...

Actually... I don't think there were any references. Or did I miss one?
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 22 Jun 2009, 17:20

Oh my God. That is, without a doubt, the funniest video you guys have done. I could not stop laughing. It was so tight, so fast paced, so... so fantastic.

Definitely my new favorite video.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 22 Jun 2009, 17:28

Bento wrote:
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:In fact, it felt like, well... LRR.
UMMM your wrong. Part of this sketch was directly inspired and maybe quoted the sketch "Silliest Interview We've Ever Done"
UMMM I never said that.
In fact I don't even remember what Python sketch you're talking about. So, no it isn't inspired by that sketch.
Shaun832

Postby Shaun832 » 22 Jun 2009, 17:29

This is the best video for a while! "Is it structally sound?"
Bob Warwick

Postby Bob Warwick » 22 Jun 2009, 17:29

Fantastic. I really enjoyed how the Buttstallation portion ended by walking through the background of the A9 shot. Also, the look on Matt's face at the end as he considered his complete overhaul.
Trisha Lynn
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Trisha Lynn » 22 Jun 2009, 17:38

I think I liked it because of how slick the transition was, and yes, I can see the Python-ishness now, but all I was thinking at the time when I first saw it was, "Cool transition from Buttstalltion to Tally."

In fact, I think Tally needs to be in the Action 9 news bits more, and I think creating an inter-anchor rivalry between her character and Matt's would be pretty awesome--if possibly derivative of Broadcast News meets Anchorman... awww... so that's not such a great original idea after all...

Still, doesn't mean that we can't have more Tally, right?

Trisha Lynn
...you know how hard it is to refrain from making that joke about her name...?
Publisher/Editor, GeekingOutAbout.com
http://www.geekingoutabout.com
On Twitter: @trishalynn
On Twitch and the LRRCraft server: cattleprodlynn
Darth Hobo

Postby Darth Hobo » 22 Jun 2009, 17:50

This week's video threw me for a huge loop when it switched between sketches, but it's hard to complain when you're essentially getting two funny videos for the price of one. And it's even harder to complain when that price is free.
Zed Alpha

Postby Zed Alpha » 22 Jun 2009, 17:55

Very, very good. You guys should do more misleading comedy.
Frozengale wrote:You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
artful dodger

Postby artful dodger » 22 Jun 2009, 18:05

Generic statement about the way monty python ended some of their bits.
Loling at the guy on the front page that voted crypts instead of crips (no offense I just thought it was funny.)

Over all my thoughts are that this was a weird video (which was kinda the point) but that the second half probably could have worked out as a video by itself. Bill as a philosopher is amazing.
White Flame

Postby White Flame » 22 Jun 2009, 18:13

Wow, you just never know what to expect from LRR. :) Inevitably, in every thread there are fans saying "You should do more exactly like this!" No they shouldn't! The variety is absolutely incredible; no need for yet another one-trick pony on teh intartubez.

However, what happened to the lighting on the last scene? It seems like Matt's face was much more shadowed than in previous Action 9 scenes. Was this the first green screen shot in the new moonbase?
RandomNumbers

Postby RandomNumbers » 22 Jun 2009, 18:20

At the end of the video I was a bit distracted and I thought I heard Tally say "asinine news" instead of Action 9 news. :o I don't know if the similarity is intentional but I think it fits. :)
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 22 Jun 2009, 18:24

Darth Hobo wrote:This week's video threw me for a huge loop when it switched between sketches, but it's hard to complain when you're essentially getting two funny videos for the price of one. And it's even harder to complain when that price is free.

I think that's why I liked it. The transition is just so smooth, yet so absurd, and I couldn't stop laughing as Jer was talking about his chair. Or... sofa.

Brilliant. <3
zaxxoid

Postby zaxxoid » 22 Jun 2009, 18:32

This rang true for me, me and my friends argue about stuff like this all the time in-between frisbee and videogames.

Philosophy, not butt installation.

Butt inSTALINattion, however...
"Look in front of you now. Do you have a waffle? wouldn't you be happier if you did?" -J. Edgar Hoover.
book_of_three

Postby book_of_three » 22 Jun 2009, 18:53

I found the philosophy part extremely excellent, and the buttstalation part hard to watch -- the first time. I like the dialogue and concept, but the first time I didn't like the pacing. I kept thinking: "Would real people actually talk that fast, and reply that quickly? Why isn't Mr. Paul-Man staring blankly at them a little, in a bit of shock at the silliness?"

Then I watched it a second time, and it seemed fine. I think this means that it went too quickly for the absurdity to sink in for me. I had to already know everything to find any of it funny. Incidentally, I found the butt-bit at the end extremely funny. Buttstalations are urgent matters, and commonly override one's day-to-day work obligations.

Did I mention: I loved the philosophy bit! Partly because it was a fine piece of your dry humor, partly because it seems excellent in comparison to the first part! And entirely because, if the rogue philosophers could see this video, they would say that the transitions prove their point!
Whisker Lickins! Tin Bits! COMBINED ATTACK!
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 22 Jun 2009, 18:58

... His name was "Sam" Raimi?
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”