You're Kidding

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
drko

Re: You're Kidding

Postby drko » 13 Jul 2009, 16:56

I liked the reference to Glacius from Killer Instinct at the beginning.
Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » 13 Jul 2009, 17:30

Casandro wrote:I guess he pooped the letters LRR.

ok, if that is it, what was his disability that made the others doubt it so much?
This signature is offensive. You are offended.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 13 Jul 2009, 17:43

This is the internet. You don't want that question answered. Trust me.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » 13 Jul 2009, 17:46

also, with the pooped LRR theory, the others were asking if he had them and if they could see them. and one couldnt really infer them meaning pictures of them...

which makes it even more funny/disturbing

one last thing, you used the names Rob and Dave in the Pub video, and then again in this one. i found that odd that you would reuse names in consecutive (non-self) videos
This signature is offensive. You are offended.
Deadpool
First Video: Crime and Punishment (And Unskippable)

Postby Deadpool » 13 Jul 2009, 18:25

Honestly I thought it was something like he beat a song on expert in either World Tour or RockBand with all three different types of instruments at once. I thought this mostly because of the Guitar Hero in this skit. Or were those there just to throw us off?

Also When James mentioned "well what about last time" and the response was "all three this time" it made me think that even more. And Jer's little hand motion could have been acting out the vocals line at the top of the screen.

Also I understand that there is 4 instruments including the Bass Guitar but I was just looking at it as Guitar, Drums and Vocals...which in itself if anyone could do that I would be highly impressed.

Nevertheless quite funny and confusing as hell. Well done.

Never underestimate the power of Human Stupidity. For if you do know this, while your patience may be limited, their idiocy know no bounds.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 13 Jul 2009, 18:28

Nyarlathotep wrote:one last thing, you used the names Rob and Dave in the Pub video, and then again in this one. i found that odd that you would reuse names in consecutive (non-self) videos

I can't speak for Kathleen, but I named those characters for David Mitchell and Robert Webb.
Also I forgot that Kathleen had used them, considering we shot The Pub about a month ago.
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 13 Jul 2009, 18:47

They're common enough names though. Hell I stopped looking around when ever someone calls "Dave" in public. It's always pretty awkward when they're actually addressing me. hah.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 13 Jul 2009, 18:49

I don't even have that common a name, and I didn't budge when they called Matt. Eventually one just gets used to it I guess.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Wordup95

Postby Wordup95 » 13 Jul 2009, 18:58

There are like 5 Kyles in my school, it sucks :P
spartanhelmet

Postby spartanhelmet » 13 Jul 2009, 19:22

Rob successfully edited all three videos before he wen on holiday?... No - freakin' - way. All THREE?
"LRR för 4 av 5 toasts"
Deadpool

Postby Deadpool » 13 Jul 2009, 19:25

I had a class once where it was 5 Nicks, 4 Bobs, 3 Johns, 2 Sams and a Paul. Don't know what was so special about Paul, that's just how it went in that class....

Never underestimate the power of Human Stupidity. For if you do know this, while your patience may be limited, their idiocy know no bounds.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 13 Jul 2009, 19:30

VanSlick wrote:Never before has so much been said about so little using so little.

And without ever really saying squat.

Nice.

You don't watch CPAC or C-SPAN much, do you? ;)

But I've been left kinda discomfited; as others have said - intellectually, the plot was predictable and thus should have been unappealing, and even the twist at the end was anticipated. As such, I SHOULD have lost interest...but I didn't. I supposed I kept watching out of curiosity whether what Rob 'accomplished' would be revealed or not.¹

Yet on a visceral level, it satisfied me - it wasn't HA-HA funny, no, but somewhere between mind and heart it found a spot and settled in very comfortably. I SHOULD have been disappointed, I SHOULD be rolling my eyes, but I'm not; I was entertained by this.

...and maybe the reason I'm so unsettled by the whole issue is that I can't figure out WHY it works for me? :) *shrug*

One other thing: I'm totally with Deadpool on 'what he did' - the placement of GH3 at the beginning set the preconceived notion in my head that Rob somehow managed to pull off some feat with three instruments simultaneously. There were some moments that I was thinking "he slept with all three {family name} sisters - even the really 'Chatty Cathy' one that won't shut up, even during sex", but the reappearance of the guit-box controller brought the 'one-man band' idea back to me.

The 'LRR poop' and the 'fooled 'em' ideas are interesting, but my preconceived notion is...well, already conceived; hard to squeeze something ELSE in alongside it. *shrug*

Oh, and I'm kinda proud of my name; there were two Marks in my classes all through school, so why shorten mine to make a third and confuse everyone - including me - all the more?²

♫Ob-la-di, ob-la-da, footnotes go on♫
1. To take a moment here, I'd like to say that the scripting decision was well-made; as much as it appealed to drop something totally off-the-wall and unexpected (e.g. Rob managed to do three loads of laundry at the laundromat without freaking out at the gabby weirdos infest the place?), but it's akin to a horror movie deciding whether to show something gory and gruesome, or just hint at it happening/being just off-screen. The latter will be more effective since each individual has different perceptions, and their own imaginations will 'fill in the blanks' better for their own preferences than anything the cast and crew can do. And the same here - we each have our own ideas as to what Rob is supposed to have done and the only way to satisfy us ALL is to leave it undefined. Bwavo; clappity-clappity! :)
2. Also three Brads, two Michaels, and FOUR Krista/Christas; never thought I'd be happy to have a weird-ass name, but it kinda makes me proud to stand out from all this sameness. :D
gryffinp

Postby gryffinp » 13 Jul 2009, 19:43

I have but one thing to say:

That video was funnier than it should have been.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 13 Jul 2009, 19:47

Triplets.

All I'm saying.

-m

I am not angry at you.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 13 Jul 2009, 19:52

Pics or it didn't happen.
Deadpool

Postby Deadpool » 13 Jul 2009, 20:09

Matt wrote:Triplets.

All I'm saying.

-m

AlexanderDitto wrote:Pics or it didn't happen.

Last edited by Deadpool on 13 Jul 2009, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.

Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 13 Jul 2009, 20:10

Stunt-Doubles!
Dank360

Postby Dank360 » 13 Jul 2009, 20:30

My original idea that it was a self referential convincing plot works on two levels. For reference, it is the idea that Graham's character convinced the other three that he was able to convince the other three of his ability to convince the other three (weirdest fucking sentence of my life).

(henceforth every character will be referred to as their actors names)

The reason I think it works on two levels is one; when Jer asks for the "proof" the proof would be showing him James' money from the bet that Graham couldn't convince them all. The second level is that when the other three ask him how he did it with his inhibition, it would be he completed the feat while completing the feat. It works in a way when Jer makes the talking signal it means "what about the [person you're currently talking to]" (a stretch but in my head it works while listening to the video). It also goes with Matt's line of "it's just really fucking obvious [that your trying to convince me right now]". And finally, James' gesture kinda looks like he is motioning between himself and Graham, which implies the same inhibition that the other two mentioned.

The only problem is that when James gives Jer the money, it falls apart, because in my theory, Graham would have to get the money, and then when Jer and Graham have the ending part, it doesn;t really work.

I just really want this idea to work, because this would in a way elevate it beyond just Graham trying to convince three other guys that he did an impossible feat. If you watch the video with this in mind, it works and makes the video seem even funnier.
WallCat

Postby WallCat » 13 Jul 2009, 20:36

dank360, you made my brain hurt. more.
~WallCat~
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 13 Jul 2009, 20:44

Also, Re: Names, Alex is one of those weird names that no one thinks of as being very common but it actually is. When someone says "common male names," Alex isn't the first to come to mind, yet it is a rare group I am in where there aren't duplicate Alexes I have to kill.

I mean... hem. Yes.

This video is probably one of the most frustratingly good videos you've made. Frustrating, but very, very good.

Also, "pics or it didn't happen" is what I was waiting for James to say, though that would ruin the vid. D:
TheThirdPerson
First Video: Omnilingual

Postby TheThirdPerson » 13 Jul 2009, 20:46

I was really hoping there would be a punch line that made everything clear. Still awesome regardless.
Deadpool

Postby Deadpool » 13 Jul 2009, 21:23

For your signature "TheThirdPerson", I have one thing to say:

You son of a bitch...

Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 13 Jul 2009, 21:40

There are four Chrises in the department - a prof, a system admin, a grad student and myself the once and future student.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
luinie
First Video: Time is Money

Postby luinie » 13 Jul 2009, 23:52

I enjoyed this video very much. I liked it more than some recent previous LRR-videos (excluding cHustles), that might have required more intelligence and/or better English than I have. You're Kidding was simple enough without being all pointy and childish.
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 14 Jul 2009, 02:28

AlexanderDitto wrote:Also, Re: Names, Alex is one of those weird names that no one thinks of as being very common but it actually is. When someone says "common male names," Alex isn't the first to come to mind, yet it is a rare group I am in where there aren't duplicate Alexes I have to kill.

there are 5 Alex's in my year group at school, and yet we are all called by our surnames... weird shit
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”