You're Kidding

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Andy

Re: You're Kidding

Postby Andy » 14 Jul 2009, 02:47

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but this is extremely similar to an acting exercise known as an Open Scene; actors are given short, arbitrary lines and try convey a story almost completely through subtext.

Great work! A+!
Time flies like an arrow;
Fruit flies like a banana.
-Groucho Marx
CygnusX1

Postby CygnusX1 » 14 Jul 2009, 02:51

Didn't really like this one because I ended up more confused than amused. I don't really understand the point of giving the characters different names for this one. Just seemed awkward and unnatural.
we sometimes catch a window, a glimpse of what's beyond
http://www.underaglassmoon.wordpress.com
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 14 Jul 2009, 04:06

I can count the number of Tims I know on one hand, and not one of them is even in the same country as me.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Mad Madam Mimm
First Video: Omnilingual
Location: Merry Ol' England. An almost interesting place. Almost.

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 14 Jul 2009, 08:49

in my year at school there was:
Gay Tom
Sporty/psychotic Tom
Super-nerd Tom
"normal" (ish) Tom

All had their own areas of expertise, and together they would have maybe made the perfect man. Apart, two of them were total dicks, one was rather strange, and the other was the most extravagant homosexual on the planet.
Yaxley wrote:I think life occasionally needs someone to ask "Okay, seriously guys. What the hell is going on?"

2 Students, 1 Alien (1 cat, 1 blob and several supporting characters, not to mention weekly sillies)

Tap-dancing Transvestite Ventriloquist
MetalKitty73

Postby MetalKitty73 » 14 Jul 2009, 09:13

Really...?
*nods* No.
zico

Postby zico » 14 Jul 2009, 10:45

Heheh that was cool. However I actually expected it ended exactly how it did. Still: funny.

However I have one question:
Why was this video made with "fictional" characters? I mean, yes for many videos I understand that - but why this one? I think it would not... "break" something which happend in your "main universe".. hope you get what Imean by that.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 14 Jul 2009, 11:45

I quite enjoyed this, and need to watch it again.

I think it really shows how much you guys have grown as actors over the years. Normally, I would say that, by far, it is your writing that is the strongest portion of your work (and your editing!). But here, we really see you guys act through a script that doesn't have a lot to play off.

Kudos.
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 14 Jul 2009, 12:05

zico wrote:Heheh that was cool. However I actually expected it ended exactly how it did. Still: funny.

However I have one question:
Why was this video made with "fictional" characters? I mean, yes for many videos I understand that - but why this one? I think it would not... "break" something which happend in your "main universe".. hope you get what Imean by that.

I believe they want to keep anything to do with crew continuity in CommodoreHUSTLE only. So every other video will be fictional characters. That way they don't have to worry about the continuity.

Yes, this video wouldn't really make any continuity problems, but I think it's better to keep them seperate.
zico

Postby zico » 14 Jul 2009, 12:21

Hmmm I think I agree in the maintime. Gives more Freedom in acting - without the need to pay attention to what the characte rnormally would behave.
Okay I take back what I wrote in my first reply. ^^
Theokotos

Postby Theokotos » 14 Jul 2009, 16:08

Not in the vein of any on going discussion here, but I just felt compelled to note my mother and Jer have the same shirt. It's a toss up as to who looks better in it.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 14 Jul 2009, 18:48

It's a good video & like others have said, it's more funny than it ought to be. I can't explain why that is but I think it's a statement to the quality of execution.

I have long enjoyed the LRR tradition of naming characters after yourselves & this later scheme of giving them different names both confuses & frightens me. I can tell you the name of everyone that was in this video but I can't remember a single character name.

Why is Matt's video game collection covered with a blanket? I've noticed this in several other videos too & it's rather odd & distracting.

As to the doubling, I'm spending the week at Camp American Legion helping out Veterans while they rest & recuperate. There are at least four Jims here, possibly as many as half a dozen. It's a little confusing at times.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 14 Jul 2009, 20:22

Unfortunately, if we name characters after ourselves then it looks like it's meant to BE us. Giving them different names helps delineate that.

Also, the blanket over Matt's games is to prevent sun-bleaching on sunny days.
Arpijy

Postby Arpijy » 14 Jul 2009, 20:35

I don't mean to ruin the fun, but this one didn't seem great to me. It just seemed like you took one joke and tried to stretch it across 4 minutes, and kept waiting for a punchline that never actually happened. Good try either way, though.
Doctor Insanovic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Doctor Insanovic » 14 Jul 2009, 21:08

I once pooped an R.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 14 Jul 2009, 21:12

Are you sure it wasn't an N?
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Bob Warwick

Postby Bob Warwick » 14 Jul 2009, 23:01

Genghis Ares wrote:
Graham wrote:OH YEAH!
I got that shirt in Japan. It's makes NO sense. It says:

She Could From Face That
I won't let you down, you down
If you take my hand tonight

I thoughts that's what it said. It made no sense to me and I had to keep reading it over and over again to see if I somehow had forgotten how to read or something.

I had the same problem. I kept trying to figure out how positioning the clover or rainbow would make the shirt make sense.

The video was great, but I was expecting a punchline based off the shirt. As it was, what Rob did was pretty funny. It had to be, since comedy happens in threes.
co9ol

Postby co9ol » 15 Jul 2009, 03:27

BEST ENDING TO A LLR VID EVER!
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 15 Jul 2009, 03:47

No.

yes!
RytelCSF
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby RytelCSF » 15 Jul 2009, 10:18

Graham wrote:Unfortunately, if we name characters after ourselves then it looks like it's meant to BE us. Giving them different names helps delineate that.

Why do I get the feeling that eventually we've going to see Rob, Dave, et cetera as recurring characters in videos, in other words, it won't be "us playing us," but the individual crew members will play distinct characters, or at least distinct personalities?

For example, it seems to me like Rob and Graham's characters in Hanging and Terms of Friendship could all be the same person.
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 15 Jul 2009, 10:27

Eh.. I don't know why people look for continuity between things. You'll just get shot down by the creators. Just like that Zelda fanboy's silly timeline idea.
RytelCSF
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby RytelCSF » 15 Jul 2009, 10:46

I'm not looking for continuity. I'm just saying that those characters seem to have similar personalities (and are distinctly different from Graham's actual personality) and I wouldn't blink if they were the same person. I'm not saying they are, or should be, or even need to be.

Believe me; I have learned my lesson about being a continuity whore and am trying to take strides against such actions. Feel free to judge me for my past but please understand that that isn't what I meant to construe here.
Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » 15 Jul 2009, 15:57

RytelCSF wrote:
Graham wrote:Unfortunately, if we name characters after ourselves then it looks like it's meant to BE us. Giving them different names helps delineate that.

Why do I get the feeling that eventually we've going to see Rob, Dave, et cetera as recurring characters in videos, in other words, it won't be "us playing us," but the individual crew members will play distinct characters, or at least distinct personalities?

For example, it seems to me like Rob and Graham's characters in Hanging and Terms of Friendship could all be the same person.

but brad was rob in the Pub and graham was dave there, but in kidding, graham was rob and jer was dave
This signature is offensive. You are offended.
Terin

Postby Terin » 16 Jul 2009, 12:29

idgi
Jangles

Postby Jangles » 16 Jul 2009, 12:59

I liked Matt the best in this one, he just seemed so shocked at whatever Grahams character had done. This videos main point was getting others to believe what Rob had done, and it was fantastic even though I still have no notion about what he had done, at first I was like, ya awesome Graham, nailing 3 sisters because of the "even with the..." line, just made sense to me. Well done everyone, hillarious!
The hardest part of being me? The mustache.
Trisha Lynn
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Trisha Lynn » 17 Jul 2009, 17:10

*raises hand*

Yes, I thought it was something sexual. I am okay with this.

Trisha Lynn
...and yeah, I could believe it...
Publisher/Editor, GeekingOutAbout.com
http://www.geekingoutabout.com
On Twitter: @trishalynn
On Twitch and the LRRCraft server: cattleprodlynn

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”