LRRCast for commodoreHUSTLE 10

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Re: LRRCast for commodoreHUSTLE 10

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 19 Jul 2009, 10:27

On the subject of awesome things teachers have said or done, I had a great science teacher called Mr. Farrell whose every word, action and item of clothing was hilarious. There's one particular anecdote I remember most, not because it's the funniest but because I couldn't believe he actually did it.

We had OFSTED (school inspectors, for those of you not In England) in class while we were carrying out some experiment with the usual Bunsen burner, tripod, beaker, etc. After we got set up, Farrell wandered around class telling people to behave in front of the inspectors, until he got to our table, when he just said "We've got the inspectors in, so safety is a priority. Whatever you do, don't do this!" and knocked the entire assemblage across the table, spilling the (fortunately non-corrosive) chemical everywhere.

The fact that the inspector a few feet away completely failed to notice this wanton attempt at vandalism and the way we all cracked up afterwards is one of the reasons I hold OFSTED in such low regard (the other being that they said our RE department was good, which is one of those lies so huge it distorts the fabric of spacetime).
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 19 Jul 2009, 10:45

School inspectors always say the exact opposite of the truth. Hell, anybody who benefits by making a school look good (or at least, not bad) will do so without any regard for the truth.

My (old) school's about to be featured in some book as a great example of the latest crank education craze (PLC, or "Professional Learning Communities) by the people that came up with the program. These people have never being to my school, and are depending entirely on the word of my (old) administration. For the record, my high-school was/is one of the top-rated in the entire country before the PLC thing ever came along, and the PLC implementation is widely considered a bad idea by the students, and the teachers are split along very clear guidelines. The ones who are ambitious and/or close to the administration, and benefit the most by the school looking good, are completely pro-PLC and say its helping a lot. The older teachers and those with little to lose agree with the students, and have records showing that homework completion is in fact down. Also, students are no longer held responsible for anything, and teacher's aren't allowed to punish them or give them low marks anymore.

So yeah....
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 19 Jul 2009, 11:10

goat wrote:
Dave-O_Boy wrote:Copyright.. *twitch*
Master Gunner wrote:Chapter 7- Preantepenultimate

This is now on my favorite word list. Along with Paramnesia, Phantasmagoria, Pseudembryo, and some other words that begin with "p."

*shifty eyes*

penis

(sorry dave-o)

Hah. It works will the opposite genitalia as well!
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 19 Jul 2009, 15:22

Master Gunner wrote:School inspectors always say the exact opposite of the truth. Hell, anybody who benefits by making a school look good (or at least, not bad) will do so without any regard for the truth.

My (old) school's about to be featured in some book as a great example of the latest crank education craze (PLC, or "Professional Learning Communities) by the people that came up with the program. These people have never being to my school, and are depending entirely on the word of my (old) administration. For the record, my high-school was/is one of the top-rated in the entire country before the PLC thing ever came along, and the PLC implementation is widely considered a bad idea by the students, and the teachers are split along very clear guidelines. The ones who are ambitious and/or close to the administration, and benefit the most by the school looking good, are completely pro-PLC and say its helping a lot. The older teachers and those with little to lose agree with the students, and have records showing that homework completion is in fact down. Also, students are no longer held responsible for anything, and teacher's aren't allowed to punish them or give them low marks anymore.

So yeah....

It's NCLB all over again. Seriously, my high school, one of the top high schools in our state with regard to education and diversity and such, was NCLB BLACKLISTED, because we reported the grades of all students on all standardized tests, including the special education classes who, while receiving the best education possible, would never be up to the same standards of the rest of the students.

If I was in Obama's place, I would have repealed NCLB the first day.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!

Postby Master Gunner » 19 Jul 2009, 16:24

Ugh, I hate ECLB (no, that's not a typo, every child is left behind) SO much. Also, its communist. At least, that's the popular opinion of the politically-oriented types around here.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
goat

Postby goat » 20 Jul 2009, 06:52

Master Gunner wrote:Ugh, I hate ECLB (no, that's not a typo, every child is left behind) SO much. Also, its communist. At least, that's the popular opinion of the politically-oriented types around here.

It very much is, and it is no surprise that we see the same kind of Soviet-esque corruption and blatant falsehoods that Soviet Russia saw.
WhoWouldWinInAFight?

Postby WhoWouldWinInAFight? » 21 Jul 2009, 04:20

THE NEW RED SHIRT

Just in reference to the talk about ODST the game.
Racial acceptance is like murder, gets easier every time.
Zivlok

Postby Zivlok » 21 Jul 2009, 17:52

ANTEPENULTIMATE! I ACTUALLY KNEW THIS ONE!
karl256
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby karl256 » 28 Jul 2009, 07:52

So Funny story my last is Liggin so every once in a while people will screw my name up and think it is Wiggins. Maybe me and Matt have ancient connected roots lol not likely though.
Steam|Google+|Twitter|Skype ID: karl256

Truth complicates reality lets have less of it ok.
Mad Madam Mimm
First Video: Omnilingual
Location: Merry Ol' England. An almost interesting place. Almost.

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 29 Jul 2009, 09:16

On the subject of teacher based annecdotes.

In year nine... which is 8th grade to you americans, I think... anyway, we had an English teacher called Mr Cooper who looked liek the ultimate geeky, wimpy teacher. He was fun in lessons though because he'd try and level with kids rather than instruct them otherwise. So there's these kids (you know... there's always "those" kids. The ones who think they're being hilarious but really are just asking to be hit in the face with something heavy) who are being rowdy and Mr Cooper tells them to sit down and shut up.

Kids: Oh come on sir, don't be boring!
Cooper:I have to be boring or I don't get paid.
Kids: Oh siiir! You smell!
Cooper: That may be true, boy, but if I smell than I can go home, shower, shave and change. YOu, in contrast, will be ugly and stupid forever unless you sit down and let me get on with the lesson.

It was that moment that made me want to be a moulder of young minds.
Yaxley wrote:I think life occasionally needs someone to ask "Okay, seriously guys. What the hell is going on?"

2 Students, 1 Alien (1 cat, 1 blob and several supporting characters, not to mention weekly sillies)

Tap-dancing Transvestite Ventriloquist
Tensen01
Sketchasaurus Rex
First Video: Who Watches Movies?

Postby Tensen01 » 06 Aug 2009, 20:03

So... What was the Continuity save?
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 06 Aug 2009, 22:20

Tensen01 wrote:So... What was the Continuity save?

In the Deducation scene Jer is wearing a "Talk like a pirate" shirt. Before the scene ends, he puts on a green shirt. In the scenes Jer is in before and after the Deducation scene, he is wearing that green shirt.

But he doesn't have the pirate shirt under in those.

Return to “LRRcast”