LRRcast for Killer Instinct

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

LRRcast for Killer Instinct

Postby Paul » 06 Aug 2009, 08:11

Sorry for the late podcast. Blip was being weird with the upload (that's our story and we're sticking to it)
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Re: LRRcast for Killer Instinct

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 06 Aug 2009, 08:17

Unfortunately for James, Paul will be the one remembered as getting this update finally up :P

And "Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood" is basically a second anime series that follows the manga more than the original, so Jer may actually like it better.

Hehe, "We'll just do these questions and finish up the podcast"...25 minutes remaining :D

And here's a link to the crab core video
I've not the slightest clue what they're singing or what it's about but it's definitely hilarious just for their dance moves.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Mad Madam Mimm
First Video: Omnilingual
Location: Merry Ol' England. An almost interesting place. Almost.

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 06 Aug 2009, 09:46

Graham and Matt would have one of those artsy minimalist bands, where there's five minutes of static, a brief flurry of wind instruments, an all male voice gospel choir and then a soundbyte of children's laughter. It would be called "Schroedinger's Singers"
Yaxley wrote:I think life occasionally needs someone to ask "Okay, seriously guys. What the hell is going on?"

2 Students, 1 Alien (1 cat, 1 blob and several supporting characters, not to mention weekly sillies)

Tap-dancing Transvestite Ventriloquist
InsaneFool
First Video: How to Talk like a Pirate

Postby InsaneFool » 06 Aug 2009, 10:55

Okay, so I watched that...*ahem* "music" video, now I'm all for heavy music, I like hardcore, and metalcore...but this "crabcore" as its called...that is just terrible. Like instrumentally, they appear to be very competent musicians...but the screaming over-layed with the modulated whining just ruins the whole thing...just awful.

*edit*
I took Matt's advice and "stuck it out"...listened to the whole thing, and I share Graham's sentiment about the abrupt 90s techno dance interlude, and gotta love the frontman's sick "Running On The Spot" dance moves.

Now I have to go watch the video for Evisceration Plague to balance this garbage out.
Last edited by InsaneFool on 06 Aug 2009, 11:35, edited 1 time in total.
Personal Fail Count: 3ish? (So Far)
Follow me on Twitter
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 06 Aug 2009, 11:23

..How could someone not know about Nirvana? That's like not knowing about the Beatles or Mozart.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 06 Aug 2009, 11:32

Ok, I watched the crabcore video. A few things:

1. I don't know if you Canadians know, but Stick Stickly was the afternoon host of Nickelodeon for a while when I was growing up. He was a popsicle stick with googly eyes.

2. This song is like three different songs that had a pile-up on the interstate. I didn't hate any of the songs that much (not being a musician, I'm very easy on music and VERY hesitant to say something's bad), but it sure didn't make much sense.

3. This is one of the reasons I fucking hate music videos. If I'd listened to this alone first, who knows what would be different? At least they're performing, as opposed to so many artists who walk down the street and barely lip-synch properly. The music video is the lowest form of art, lower than urine in snow by the driveway.

4. One of the benefits of being an identical twin is it teaches you an eye for detail. You have to be able to look at one another and say how other people can tel you apart. I consider myself to be good at telling similar looking people apart. I cannot tell ANY of these people apart.

A comedic idea I once had, but is just unfeasible, was to greenscreen myself as five different people and we'd be a boy band who are also superheroes (basically, like the opposite of Metalocalypse). We would be the Across 5 (someone guess where that band name is from!) and we'd solve world issues as if this was a glamour project like the Harlem Globetrotters cartoon or something and end every episode with a crappy pop song.

That's what this reminds me of. These guys are THAT similar.

Graham and Matt's band name: Time and Space
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
karl256
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby karl256 » 06 Aug 2009, 12:04

I suggest for Matt and Grahams band the name "Krashing Citchen"
Steam|Google+|Twitter|Skype ID: karl256

Truth complicates reality lets have less of it ok.
Tapeti

Postby Tapeti » 06 Aug 2009, 12:09

I don't know mant good podcasts, but one of my favorite ones, which never fails to make me laugh, is the Red Bar Radio show. Great fun.
WobblyTable
First Video: Inside D&D 4th Edition

Postby WobblyTable » 06 Aug 2009, 12:37

First, Graham and Matt's band ideas:
1. The Mint Bubblegum Toothpaste Explosion. Really, not so much a band, as it is one of them on sitar while the other does avent-garde spoken word/poetry.
2. A hardbass collaborative called Beatbat.

Second, Glassjaw? Really, Jer? Though I can't really complain. I remember going to one of their shows (split bill with Hatebreed. Very loud show).

Third, there must be more crabcore bands. So that way there can be crabcore battles.

...I'd just like to take this opportunity to apologize for that last bit.
Ask me about the Steve Flaig Experience.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 06 Aug 2009, 13:00

Look up Coldplay's music video for Strawberry Swing and tell me again that music videos are the lowest form of art, King Kool.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Bartley Butsford
First Video: Ways to Ruin a Job Interview

Postby Bartley Butsford » 06 Aug 2009, 13:12

King Kool wrote:We would be the Across 5 (someone guess where that band name is from!

Excel Saga??

Crabcore video was hilarious. They seem...almost like a parody of what's wrong with heavy, popular, music these days. Still got nothin' on whalecore though :mrgreen:

Graham and Matt's band:
Graham Cracker Prime, children's music.
a web comic
Science has one fatal flaw: it's stupid.
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 06 Aug 2009, 13:30

A band by Graham and Matt would be an anomaly as I seem them as more of the Vaudeville type.

The Colombia Players.
Last edited by Vigafre on 06 Aug 2009, 22:05, edited 1 time in total.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 06 Aug 2009, 14:31

Tim wrote:Look up Coldplay's music video for Strawberry Swing and tell me again that music videos are the lowest form of art, King Kool.

Ok.

(does so)

Ok, that was well-done, but why did it need to be a music video? It was just a short film. This is another problem I have with music videos. They're either a direct interpretation of the lyrics, or they're completely unrelated. That, from what I could tell, was unrelated. (Maybe they were singing about dreaming or something, but whatever.)

We all have that one thing we can do without. For Bill Watterson, it was comic books. For me, it's music videos. I was JUST under the line when MTV started getting big (my friend at the time had a sister 2 years younger than he notes how different she was from him, and he believed it was because she watched MTV, where he and I reached an age where it no longer affected us in the same way).

It's not to say that there can't be good music videos, of course, but as a whole, I say, "what's the point?"

So, let me tell you again: music videos are the lowest form of art. (I will recant this if you or someone else can name something I'm not thinking of that still qualifies as 'art.')

Bartley Butsford wrote:Excel Saga??

You win!
a winner is you. - Ash
Birras
First Video: Phailhaus 17

Postby Birras » 06 Aug 2009, 14:40

Graham & Matt's band? I'd say...The Starking Wiggins! And they would play Phail rock. Catch their debut album, The Haus of Phail, this fall.
Jaebird
First Video: The LHC

Postby Jaebird » 06 Aug 2009, 15:05

I almost screamed like a little girl when I heard my username spoken aloud XD

Sadly, though, my Transmetal 2 Dinobot shed a tear after hearing the toy part of my question answered :(
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Open for commissions.)
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 06 Aug 2009, 15:11

King Kool wrote:So, let me tell you again: music videos are the lowest form of art. (I will recant this if you or someone else can name something I'm not thinking of that still qualifies as 'art.')
People who use a program called "Poser" to make 3D people (usually nude) just faffing about in foofy outfits, would describe what they do as art.

And it's way worse than music videos. Which I also LOVE, so I'm biased.
They give the director a great deal of creative freedom to do new things, and I think they're really important for that.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 06 Aug 2009, 16:22

Graham wrote:
King Kool wrote:So, let me tell you again: music videos are the lowest form of art. (I will recant this if you or someone else can name something I'm not thinking of that still qualifies as 'art.')
People who use a program called "Poser" to make 3D people (usually nude) just faffing about in foofy outfits, would describe what they do as art.

And it's way worse than music videos. Which I also LOVE, so I'm biased.
They give the director a great deal of creative freedom to do new things, and I think they're really important for that.

I agree that those are WORSE than music videos, but just because someone thinks what they make is art doesn't make it art. Art has to have a real value.

I don't doubt from the perspective of the filmmaker that music videos are important. I just don't think they're the least bit important from the standpoint of the music itself.
a winner is you. - Ash
Jaebird

Postby Jaebird » 06 Aug 2009, 16:56

Graham wrote:People who use a program called "Poser" to make 3D people (usually nude) just faffing about in foofy outfits, would describe what they do as art.

I can openly say I use Poser (more specifically, DAZ Studio), but only as a drawing tool for when I can't get a particular pose I want on paper.
teknotheef

Postby teknotheef » 06 Aug 2009, 17:56

Where is Jer's list of podcasts? I'm looking for new podcasts!
robothero
First Video: Ways to drink a Coke?

Postby robothero » 06 Aug 2009, 18:34

King Kool wrote:Ok, that was well-done, but why did it need to be a music video? It was just a short film.

King Kool wrote:I don't doubt from the perspective of the filmmaker that music videos are important. I just don't think they're the least bit important from the standpoint of the music itself.

Well, I'll admit that the existence of music videos is spurred on for financial reasons as much as artistic reasons. Like it or not, a good music video can make a song sell more copies than it otherwise would, and conversely, an experimental short film that would never make money on its own can be financially worth it as a music video.

It's like patronage; back in the day, many great painters painted religious stuff or portraits of kings and queens, because that's where the money was. Some of it is still great art, regardless of what allowed it to exist.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 06 Aug 2009, 19:24

Personally I enjoy music videos for two reasons:

1. I remember songs better if I have a visual to go with them
  2. Fan-made music videos are fair use most of the time, so I can get a ton of music entirely for free and plonk it on my P2 without ever touching iTunes :P
Pigmy Wurm

Postby Pigmy Wurm » 06 Aug 2009, 19:27

so I got an idea of a band for graham and matt but I went a little overboard.

I would put this in a spoiler box or something but I am relitivly new to the forums and I don't know how, or if you can.

At first is was Mattimus & Starkscream but I thought "Vs." was interesting and sort of made more sense. I also had a lot of fun coming up with the other bands.

And I have no idea, at least as of now, what type of music this would be.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 06 Aug 2009, 19:33

Pigmy Wurm wrote:And I have no idea, at least as of now, what type of music this would be.

Nerdcore?
Geekcore?
Mattcore?
Robocore?
Jaebird

Postby Jaebird » 06 Aug 2009, 19:37

Lyinginbedmon wrote:
Pigmy Wurm wrote:And I have no idea, at least as of now, what type of music this would be.

Nerdcore?
Geekcore?
Mattcore?
Robocore?

Even though its too obvious, I'll say it anyway: LRRcore
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 06 Aug 2009, 19:39

Quadcore?

Return to “LRRcast”