LRRcast for Killer Instinct

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Re: LRRcast for Killer Instinct

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 06 Aug 2009, 20:24

I've always liked "Medio-core" as a far as the fake music subgenres are concerned. Most "core" type bands really are more akin to that fake subgenre than any other.

But yeah on the topic of music videos, "Do the Evolution" by Pearl Jam is a personal favorite of mine. Mostly because it's animated.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 06 Aug 2009, 20:44

As a person with limited knowledge of music popular or otherwise I would be interest in hear what Kathleen thinks I should have heard.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 06 Aug 2009, 22:08

Pigmy Wurm wrote:so I got an idea of a band for graham and matt but I went a little overboard.

I would put this in a spoiler box or something but I am relitivly new to the forums and I don't know how, or if you can.

(IMAGE)

At first is was Mattimus & Starkscream but I thought "Vs." was interesting and sort of made more sense. I also had a lot of fun coming up with the other bands.

And I have no idea, at least as of now, what type of music this would be.

While clever, I don't think most people would read "Starkscream" as "Stark-Scream".
Dave-O_Boy

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 06 Aug 2009, 22:22

Vigafre wrote:
Pigmy Wurm wrote:so I got an idea of a band for graham and matt but I went a little overboard.

I would put this in a spoiler box or something but I am relitivly new to the forums and I don't know how, or if you can.

(IMAGE)

At first is was Mattimus & Starkscream but I thought "Vs." was interesting and sort of made more sense. I also had a lot of fun coming up with the other bands.

And I have no idea, at least as of now, what type of music this would be.

While clever, I don't think most people would read "Starkscream" as "Stark-Scream".

EDIT: ewwwww.
Last edited by Dave-O_Boy on 06 Aug 2009, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

Postby Smeghead » 06 Aug 2009, 22:54

I had actually planned to make a thread about FMA-Brotherhood, but didn't get around to do it.

As mentioned, this anime follows the manga storyline (it's very different from the first anime's storyline) that in my opinion is so much better then the original anime.
Also, it is almost just the mainstory so there's hardly any filler episodes or filler stories (other then the first episode).

What is great about it is that it's posted on youtube, and apparently not by some random person but rather by the studio itself (however, not sureif it can be viewed in the US for some reason.
http://www.youtube.com/user/FMABrotherhood
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 07 Aug 2009, 00:55

I'm getting international copyright issues when I open that link.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

Postby Smeghead » 07 Aug 2009, 02:13

yeah, seems like some countries can't view them
Malcolm.Paise

Postby Malcolm.Paise » 07 Aug 2009, 05:49

I must admit without the screamo I wouldn't find the music to bad, but the video dear god! That is the most hilarious way of head banging I have ever seen.
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 07 Aug 2009, 06:35

i'm a big fan of hobocore

that is all
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Tapeti

Postby Tapeti » 07 Aug 2009, 06:46

There's a site called anilinkz. I was actually watching Brotherhood on it not too long ago, so I think it works.
goat

Postby goat » 07 Aug 2009, 07:15

For your viewing pleasure: my reactions to the "crabcore video":

0:05- wow, you guys weren't kidding about "white goth". she looks like if galadriel had too much eyeliner, a lip ring and a slight drug problem

0:10- ok, I kinda get the guitars and the screaming. not really my thing, but I get it

0:11- wait, is this band all the same guy? I mean, I think he's changing between t shirts and v-necks, but I'm pretty sure that's all the same guy

0:14- that keyboardist is X-TREME

0:16- ok, the band is actually two people. the basist has slightly different hair (i think)

0:30- there's the girl again, maybe there is some plot/theme here after all

0:39- is that? oh dear god... that is auto-tune

0:50- is he screaming... at himself? it's so hard to tell if they have two "singers"...

0:59- ok, that settles it. guitar choreography has just occured. this one is a wipe

1:18- is it called crabcore because they're so heavy they have to crouch like crabs to convey their heavy-ness?

1:37- .... the crouch I can kinda understand. your music is loud and angry so you feel the need to get low so you can headbang. OK. if you're trying to sound/look intimidating (and you are (i think) you DO NOT FUCKING PRANCE.

2:27- sorry, i fell asleep through what I think was supposed to be the chorus... it sounded so much like white noise I just kind of drifted off there

2:30- oh right, there's the girl in this video... what exactly does she have to do with this again?

2:45- annnd here comes the inexplicable techno, all this needs is some of that fancy-looking light scatter effect from the rap videos...

2:49- and there we go. I'm pretty sure to give off that much glare the keyboard has to be made of solid bling

2:50- well, we've just found something more awkward than old white people dancing: horrendous white cliches trying to look angry while dancing to synthpop

2:58- wait... did he just... *googles lyrics* wait a second, this is christian "music"? I can't say I'm really all that surprised, but I think this may mark a new low

3:09- cue auto-tuned solo

3:14- white goth girl officially just face-palmed his solo.

3:30- and walk away from girl for no particular reason....

end- what the hell did i just watch?

TLDR: christian music promoters have sunk so low as to try and cram as many things that they think are popular into a music video to increase their audience and end up alienating everyone... just like catholicism. Nice work!
Tapeti

Postby Tapeti » 07 Aug 2009, 07:24

I can assure you, the people in Attack Attack! are, in fact, different people. There are six of them.
A Model Worker

Postby A Model Worker » 07 Aug 2009, 08:09

All I know is a band featuring Matt and Graham would be legally obligated to cover Kasabian's "Shoot the Runner(s)"
Processing the hell out of your natural language since 2008
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 07 Aug 2009, 10:43

RE: Matt's Music Tastes:

Lady Gaga is so annoying. I'm sad that I am able to listen to Pokerface and tolerate it. Granted, I really want to rewrite it to describe her.

"You see my, you see my, but you don't like-a my Butterface (ew you look like Gary Glitter)..."

Seriously though, Matt's pretty dead on with the fact that she looks like a Sci Fi Transgendered Hooker. I'm pretty sure though that with every 1000 copies sold of her singles, that's another shot of estrogen and another roll of duct take to tuck her penis with.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 07 Aug 2009, 12:36

I never said transgendered. She has a large nose, she doesn't look like a man.

As for her music, it's just silly, catchy pop. She's obviously not taking her lyrics seriously (Have you ever really listened to 'Just Dance'? That song is hilarious!) so just chill and have some fun with it.

-m

I am not angry at you.
lcakg631
First Video: commodoreHUSTLE 04

Postby lcakg631 » 07 Aug 2009, 12:46

I just got done watching the "Crab-Core" video: pretty ridiculous, reminds me why I don't really watch music vids anymore...

I actually hear this song almost daily. My roommate has this album in his Halo-playing-mix on his Xbox 360. (Along with Sisco's "Unleash the Dragon" and Yakety Sax").

Attack Attack are considered a local(-ish) band here, and I've seen more than a few small bands doing that "crab" stance on stage.

They do have one song that I think's pretty good, and not at all like this song. They did a cover of Kate Perry's "I Kissed a Girl" that's quite a bit better than the original.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 07 Aug 2009, 15:39

Matt wrote:I never said transgendered. She has a large nose, she doesn't look like a man.

As for her music, it's just silly, catchy pop. She's obviously not taking her lyrics seriously (Have you ever really listened to 'Just Dance'? That song is hilarious!) so just chill and have some fun with it.

-m

Did I not say I get "Poker Face" stuck in my head? That song is strangely interesting, and the fact that VH1 thinks that her use of 'muffin' in that song constitutes a need for censorship, is hilarious. And maybe I added transgendered, but think about it: it's not too unlikely.

Also, if Lady Gaga is pop, we have come a REALLY long way from "Oops I did it again".
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 07 Aug 2009, 15:54

Matt and Graham's band name: Anti-Matter Golden Grahams.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 07 Aug 2009, 17:48

Graham's and Matt's synthpop band: Fucking Space Jump
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 07 Aug 2009, 17:56

As far as that music video goes, please tell me I wasn't the only one who got 40 minutes into the podcast before realizing they weren't saying "crap-core". Because I could understand why people wouldn't like that.

For the video in question, it was never "good" good in my mind, but I couldn't understand a single lyric until the techno started, and I assume the lyrics would have been awful, so that prevents it from being terrible for me. All said, it was just silly.

Regarding the podcast, I'm with Kathleen about Atlus RPGs.

And finally, Matt and Graham's band is clearly a screamo/techno band called "Who Ate My Waffles?". I should think the division between the screamo and techno portions would obvious.
Jaebird
First Video: The LHC

Postby Jaebird » 07 Aug 2009, 18:04

Lord Chrusher wrote:Graham's and Matt's synthpop band: Fucking Space Jump

Though I would think of it being Morgan and Matt's band, the fact that it is a f*cking great band name overrules my first thought :D
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Open for commissions.)
Tapeti

Postby Tapeti » 07 Aug 2009, 18:13

Yaxley wrote:As far as that music video goes, please tell me I wasn't the only one who got 40 minutes into the podcast before realizing they weren't saying "crap-core". Because I could understand why people wouldn't like that.

I thought that's what they said too. I was thinking to myself "What on earth would possess them to listen to something called 'crap-core' in the first place?"
Dave-O_Boy

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 07 Aug 2009, 19:21

Yaxley wrote:Regarding the podcast, I'm with Kathleen about Atlus RPGs.

Same here.

Why play a Square-enix game when there are Altus games?...
because Atlus doesn't print enough, the bastards. heh.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 07 Aug 2009, 19:24

...I feel like a horrible person...but Atlus?
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Dave-O_Boy

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 07 Aug 2009, 19:48

theDreamer wrote:...I feel like a horrible person...but Atlus?

Exactly.. *tear*

[link]
[Link]

Return to “LRRcast”