It's All In Your Head

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
qwagor

Re: It's All In Your Head

Postby qwagor » 17 Aug 2009, 14:20

This little skit was, I'm afraid, all over the place. Great beginning but then it sort of deflated... Bombs in heads is an idea that should escalate wildly (and indeed it started that way) but it ended on with a punchline (two people worldwide... laser planes... give generously...) that is more suited to a much more subdued sketch i.e. two guys with unique but benign and absurd affliction (for example: unable to see the letter 's', can't tell the difference between man and woman, have to bounce when they see no U-turn sign). Sorry to say, but this was sub-par LRR video...
I used to feed coins to Space Invaders cabinet as a kid because I was rubbish at Table Football - that's how old I am...
CygnusX1

Postby CygnusX1 » 17 Aug 2009, 14:22

like many others have said, it wasn't particularly funny but still enjoyable none the less

i was really hoping for an actual head explosion, just because im curious how graham would pull it off in editting
we sometimes catch a window, a glimpse of what's beyond
http://www.underaglassmoon.wordpress.com
Frozengale

Postby Frozengale » 17 Aug 2009, 14:37

I just realized the background music was "Those Games that We Played" but instrumental. I like it.
If I ever come up with something witty or interesting I'm not going to display it in plain sight for you buffoons to steal away.
Spatial Coffee

Postby Spatial Coffee » 17 Aug 2009, 14:40

Well, this is your regular "It didn't really make me laugh, but it was entertaining"-comment. I think it would be fun to see Wrath become somekind of rival of the Evil Inc.

Oh, and if the bomb is controlled by a high frequency radiosignal, an ordinary tinfoil hat might work as a kill signal stopper... atleast in theory.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 17 Aug 2009, 14:43

Actually, depending on the shape of the hat, tin foil hats can actually amplify certain frequencies. And I don't know how you could find out what frequency the device works on without detonating it, so that poses a problem. A few inches of lead would work, but I have a feeling would strain the neck a bit.

In seriousness, you could just weave a copper mesh into the hat, which would turn it into a Faraday cage that would be quite effective at stopping electrical/radio signals. Unfortunately, because his neck would prevent you from making a complete seal, some of the signal could still leak in under there and detonate the bomb.

A full-body suit (such as the kind worn by those that work on remote high-power transmission lines) would likely be the best way of protecting oneself in public. Then you could turn your entire house into a Faraday cage so you could get out of the suit on occasion to "take care of business".
Last edited by Master Gunner on 17 Aug 2009, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 17 Aug 2009, 15:01

The video seemed wierdly structured to me. The beginning was very strong with the Wii sports training bit, and the concept itself was good, but I think it had some pacing issues and needed some more lol funny and less general amusement with the concept.
Angelic_Incubi

Postby Angelic_Incubi » 17 Aug 2009, 15:16

Okay... I'm going to come out and say this...

There are some LRR videos that I have to warm up to. Either I miss something important or I just don't get it... This time I was a little bit mislead and was in WTF mode for the entire time waiting for more stuff about being a Wii Trainer, that threw me off guard entirely. I thought that was kinda funny and I figured the entire skit would follow that... then I thought maybe the Hyena was something related to the Wii and it was making fun of that. In the end I just put it down as 'inside joke, needs research'

I'm pretty sure now that the Wii Trainer section of this just threw me down the wrong course. So I rewatched it, this time starting right after the Wii Trainner bit and I ACTUALLY LAUGHED. The idea of a terrorist organisation that holds your brain hostage in order to make you kick over elderly ladies and I believe installing Vista on your computer (That was the BEST because yes that is torture) is absolutely brilliant!

So yeah... I was about to make a negitive post but I looked at it for what it was in terms of at least humour and not what I wanted it to be (Making fun of the Wii) and it became alot funnier.
Unclever title

Postby Unclever title » 17 Aug 2009, 15:22

Master Gunner wrote:A full-body suit (such as the kind worn by those that work on remote high-power transmission lines) would likely be the best way of protecting oneself in public. Then you could turn your entire house into a Faraday cage so you could get out of the suit on occasion to "take care of business".

Master Gunner, defending us from the Hyena. :mrgreen:

I too felt the funny lost a bit of momentum, it might have been partially due to the music in fact, but I still liked the jokes interspersed throughout, the "I'm sorry!" sword fight was pretty good, but overall I'd call this sad funny instead of Laugh out loud funny.

Sometimes a change in funny pace is alright.

I've had a very punful day so 1-800-HED-BOOM got a chuckle out of me. :)

Though personally I think 1-800-ASPLODE or maybe HED ASPLODE would have worked out better. The delivery would have been doable if you spoke the numbers first (433-277-5633) then said "or HED ASPLODE."

That would also get a double meaning, as in: If you don't call then theys HED ASPLODE!

That's my take on it
My train of thought is more like a roller coaster that has loop de loops and no safety bars.
I don't know if I'm tall enough to ride.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 17 Aug 2009, 15:46

Definitely another in a line of odd and/or awkward videos. I rank this along with All the Little People and Killer Instinct I think, and it's a little odd that we've had two neurology-related videos in as many weeks.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 17 Aug 2009, 15:52

I think Angelic_Incubi has nailed it best so far.

This video is all about surprise left-turns. Starts as what looks like an athlete profile, turns into a documentary about bombs in the brain as some unfortunate affliction, then it's revealed that it was actually put there by some evil mastermind, which he is using to force his subjugates into doing silly things, and then it becomes a plea for donations, donations which go to spy planes and silly hats.

I mean, I like it, but that's not surprising.
MestHoop

Postby MestHoop » 17 Aug 2009, 16:11

the problem for me is that I didn't get the whole hyena was a organization or part of one came waaay too late :(

Was funny the second time though :D
meur1234

Postby meur1234 » 17 Aug 2009, 16:30

I'm pretty sure that would be the only way to get any sane person to wear a twilight poster around town.
NOTE: For all of those who are wondering I AM NOT FRENCH. So dont ask me if i am. any curse words my username may or may not mean is a coincidence!
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 17 Aug 2009, 16:40

Luckily no one was around, in case you hadn't noticed.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 17 Aug 2009, 16:46

Graham wrote:This video is all about surprise left-turns. ... I mean, I like it, but that's not surprising.

So this video is like a crazy mouse roller coaster, in that you get to the top of the hill, then you make a sharp turn down one path, then another, then another, until you are just jerked around non-stop and get to the end thinking, "What the fuck just happened?"

Also, isn't that like the first rule of making web comedy: if you yourself don't like it, not many others will?
TheTempestKing
Location: North Carolina. It does indeed suck as much as it is rumoured to.

Postby TheTempestKing » 17 Aug 2009, 17:03

Graham wrote:I think Angelic_Incubi has nailed it best so far.

This video is all about surprise left-turns. Starts as what looks like an athlete profile, turns into a documentary about bombs in the brain as some unfortunate affliction, then it's revealed that it was actually put there by some evil mastermind, which he is using to force his subjugates into doing silly things, and then it becomes a plea for donations, donations which go to spy planes and silly hats.

I mean, I like it, but that's not surprising.
I'm in agreement with Graham and Angelic_Incubi here. It's a little puzzling the first time through but, once you get the concept, it's pretty hilarious. I'd love to see these characters return. I'm not sure who it was that said this but Wrath would indeed make a good rival for Evil Inc. (though the issue of Paul already having been in this video would have to be worked around).
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 17 Aug 2009, 17:08

Paul and evil Paul are in videos together, ALL THE TIME. So No issue.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Postby TomBrend » 17 Aug 2009, 17:11

qwagor wrote:This little skit was, I'm afraid, all over the place. Great beginning but then it sort of deflated... Bombs in heads is an idea that should escalate wildly (and indeed it started that way) but it ended on with a punchline (two people worldwide... laser planes... give generously...) that is more suited to a much more subdued sketch i.e. two guys with unique but benign and absurd affliction (for example: unable to see the letter 's', can't tell the difference between man and woman, have to bounce when they see no U-turn sign). Sorry to say, but this was sub-par LRR video...

WAY TO EXPLAIN THE JOKE, and also WAY TO NOT GET IT. It's too bad you don't like the way LRR took the joke, but it was ORIGINAL.
The LRR-Metroid Fan

Postby The LRR-Metroid Fan » 17 Aug 2009, 17:45

Again, one of LRR's darker videos, though it still retained some comedy. I must say, very, very well done.
"On and off stage, you must always perform your best, though the spotlight may sway elsewhere."

-Tim Matthews
Zivlok

Postby Zivlok » 17 Aug 2009, 18:56

It got better as it went on. Like, at first, it was just one joke, and not that funny of a joke, but everything from the bit with Paul and James fighting and after was great.

Also, I think to me the funniest bit was the fact that they were testing whether or not the hat would block the kill signal - which was funny to me, because what if the hat didn't work? ;)
wilson_x1999

Postby wilson_x1999 » 17 Aug 2009, 19:09

The Hyena is a son of a bitch, I couldn't thinkg anything more evil than walking with that Twilight board.
robothero
First Video: Ways to drink a Coke?

Postby robothero » 17 Aug 2009, 19:11

This was hilarious. Anyone who claims otherwise is wrong.
baggins_of_41

Postby baggins_of_41 » 17 Aug 2009, 19:41

Master Gunner wrote:Actually, depending on the shape of the hat, tin foil hats can actually attenuate certain frequencies. And I don't know how you could find out what frequency the device works on without detonating it, so that poses a problem.

I'm no explosives expert, but it seems doable to me. Any tuned radio receiver is going to result in a potentially measurable power drain on any signals emitted in that frequency. Assuming (A) that the receiver is relatively simple and radio based (e.g. no random channel hopping or exotic gravity-wave communications technology) and (B) that a specific analog waveform or digital signal is required to activate it (you don't want your victim blowing up the first time they get too close to an improperly shielded microwave that just happens to be emitting RFI at the designated frequency, after all), it should theoretically be possible to use a low-power transmitter to scan for frequencies that the receiver circuitry resonates with.

So, yeah- if an evil alien organization implants a bomb in your brain, you might be able to construct a fuzzy purple hat to effectively block the signal. :)
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!

Postby Master Gunner » 17 Aug 2009, 19:56

Ah, well I didn't know about the power drain. Electronics and I....rarely get along well. I'm more of a mechanical guy (and yet I'm going into computer science...)
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
TomBrend

Postby TomBrend » 17 Aug 2009, 20:00

baggins_of_41 wrote:
Master Gunner wrote:Actually, depending on the shape of the hat, tin foil hats can actually attenuate certain frequencies. And I don't know how you could find out what frequency the device works on without detonating it, so that poses a problem.

I'm no explosives expert, but it seems doable to me. Any tuned radio receiver is going to result in a potentially measurable power drain on any signals emitted in that frequency. Assuming (A) that the receiver is relatively simple and radio based (e.g. no random channel hopping or exotic gravity-wave communications technology) and (B) that a specific analog waveform or digital signal is required to activate it (you don't want your victim blowing up the first time they get too close to an improperly shielded microwave that just happens to be emitting RFI at the designated frequency, after all), it should theoretically be possible to use a low-power transmitter to scan for frequencies that the receiver circuitry resonates with.

So, yeah- if an evil alien organization implants a bomb in your brain, you might be able to construct a fuzzy purple hat to effectively block the signal. :)

There is no way to measure the "drain". Measuring field strength as it is affected by changes in frequency will show that there is metal, but that's about it. A QRP transmitter will not help, unless you are able to monitor the state of the electronics inside the skull- certainly a nontrivial task. The bes solution would presumably be to take a series of brain scans, find the charge, and surgically remove it. Also, a fuzzy purple hat lined with metal mesh and grounded will act as a faraday cage, blocking RF.
TomBrend

Postby TomBrend » 17 Aug 2009, 20:00

Master Gunner wrote:Ah, well I didn't know about the power drain. Electronics and I....rarely get along well. I'm more of a mechanical guy (and yet I'm going into computer science...)

No, you were right. Tinfoil acts as a faraday cage, though it is not as good as a fine mesh of a better conductor.

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”