It's All In Your Head

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Re: It's All In Your Head

Postby Master Gunner » 17 Aug 2009, 20:06

So I stick by my original post then. According to this a tin foil hat can actually amplify certain radio frequencies, and thus not a good idea. Also, a hat will not completely block the signal, which could leak in through the neck/lower head. Hence my final suggestion of using a full-body suit and turning your house into a Faraday cage.
Last edited by Master Gunner on 17 Aug 2009, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
baggins_of_41

Postby baggins_of_41 » 17 Aug 2009, 20:28

TomBrend wrote:There is no way to measure the "drain".

You may very well be right- my knowledge of radio frequency effects is limited to what I learned as a ham radio operator back in high school.

Still, it seems like a receiver in close proximity to the person's brain that is kept tuned in sync with a low power transmitter emitting a simple sine wave should be able to detect either a drop in signal strength from the energy absorbed (and converted to heat) by the detonator's circuitry, or possibly even a slight distortion of the sine wave due to the resonance of the circuit.

Am I wrong?
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 17 Aug 2009, 20:45

huh. i thought this was really funny and had great pacing.
baggins_of_41

Postby baggins_of_41 » 17 Aug 2009, 20:50

Master Gunner wrote:According to this a tin foil hat can actually attenuate certain radio frequencies, and thus not a good idea.

Dude- can't you tell? They're with *them*! They just want to trick us into taking off our hats so they can finally get to us!

;)
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 17 Aug 2009, 23:38

Hmmm, for me it was interesting and clever but not hilarious. Enjoyable yes. I liked the selection of 'horrible things' they were made to do but I thought it could have been a little, i dunno, bigger. Or more sensational, like showing James and Paul crying while Jer is asking for donations. Or a computer simulation of the head explosion.

Still, I liked the concept and I definitely smirked the whole way though.
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
HiroProtagonist

Postby HiroProtagonist » 18 Aug 2009, 00:04

Not "funny", but very, very good. Highly entertaining infact. The jewelry theft was very cleverly done, brava indeed.

Best acting I've seen from James in many moons I think. Nice work dude!
68 mustang convertible parts + stingray body = the StingStang: Travesty on wheels.

Matt wrote:Kittens are bullshit.
LonelyAngel
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby LonelyAngel » 18 Aug 2009, 01:35

Very entertaining, I certainly laughed at bits, although I cannot remember which ones now as it has been a few hours since I first watched it.

The concept of the bomb in the brain reminded me of the old Shadowrun game on the SNES, where I am fairly certain the main character has a ticking time bomb implanted in his head for a quest or two.
Check out my new gaming website at: http://www.finalbossfight.co.uk
Alina

Postby Alina » 18 Aug 2009, 02:05

I think part of the funny actually comes from the whole bomb-in-the-brain thing being something of a cliché in a certain type of films and games.
No one had had the slightest desire to learn the language of the boghogs for the simple reason that these creatures communicated by biting each other very hard on the thigh. -Douglas Adams
Jackrabbit

Postby Jackrabbit » 18 Aug 2009, 04:01

Y'know, most times you guys write stuff that is actually good, and actually funny and actually entertaining. And then other times, you write stuff like this...

Pure gold that forces me to rewatch the video again and again and again.
Is a fool
Machalllewis
First Video: Ways to Stay Awake

Postby Machalllewis » 18 Aug 2009, 05:44

I myself would like to see these guys turn up in a rapidfire video.

Say, the guy who does the weird chat-up lines suddenly gets jumped by one of them who just yells "Sorry, I didn't want to!" and then runs off.

I dunno, I'm just spitballing here.

But yeah! I liked the video, not one of the greatest like but still funny.
Nothing to see here.
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 18 Aug 2009, 05:52

Genghis Ares wrote:The video seemed wierdly structured to me. The beginning was very strong with the Wii sports training bit, and the concept itself was good, but I think it had some pacing issues and needed some more lol funny and less general amusement with the concept.

+1. Also, I couldn't tell that James was saying 'bomb' the first few times. Odd.
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 18 Aug 2009, 06:53

Huh. I was wondering why some people just didn't like videos that I thought were hilarious, and now I know why: if you spend the entire video waiting to see if there's going to be a major punchline, you don't appreciate the comedy along the way.

I loved all the send-ups of adverts/documentaries about terminal illnesses, and James' line about "It's not like I can say no, I've got a bomb in my head!" There was one thing that broke up the pace, though: the shots of Jer reacting to what Chet was saying. They should have been cut to while Chet was talking, rather than talking - pause - reaction.

You must have had fun filming Paul stealing all that jewellery in such a busy street. :)
Mr. Silent18

Postby Mr. Silent18 » 18 Aug 2009, 06:54

Awsome as always.

I thought the twilight poster bit would have something to do with Matt.
If loving Canada's finest sketch comedy group is wrong, I don't want to be right!
Matt: Glittery Douchebags(lol)
RainbowToeSocks

Postby RainbowToeSocks » 18 Aug 2009, 07:59

I do say, quite a good video.
It wasn't laugh out loud funny, but it was a nice smile funny video.

Good work.
Polycyclohexylene Dimethylene Terephthalate
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Postby GreigKM » 18 Aug 2009, 08:38

NOOO! Not Windows Vista! 7 is in RTM!!
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
Maeglin
First Video: Celestial Sea Episode 1

Postby Maeglin » 18 Aug 2009, 10:17

I really enjoyed the video. It seemed to be a little dark/sarcastic/tongue & cheek humor. It was very well executed too with a bunch of smaller more light-hearted jokes in it.

What I mean by this is that there is the larger, darker joke of these guys having 'bombs on the brain' (well, in, but yeah) and they have to do whatever this hyena guy says. Okay, that isn't really much of a 'joke' but it spawns several from it. You've got the Wii joke with the sound effects (the sound effects were REALLY good by the way). Then you have the little awkward things like "Yeah, I was conscious when he put the bomb in me. That's how he works." You also have little funny gags like the little old lady (who was that... Hm...) and the nerf gun (or very similar) up the nose. Oh, and him falling over at the end. You also have little jokes poking fun of things: Windows Vista, Twilight, etc.

I think this video was very funny (although not really an "LOL" funny. More of a, "Heh... clever." funny. These funnies are in very different categories and both are equally enjoyable).

It was also clever from all the editing/camera shot tricks that were extremely well done. You have the wii sound effects. You have the breaking into the jewelry store (cause you couldn't actually break the glass of the store). You've got the falling over sideways at the end. Even the pre-video ad with the zooming in/out for the screaming. Good job as always, LRR.
Pants are optional.
Hakaryu

Postby Hakaryu » 18 Aug 2009, 11:29

I thought it was a well done video and quite entertaining.

The real question though, Will we ever see Paul's elusive brother in video?
Tonberry's poked the dutch again.
micahman212

Postby micahman212 » 18 Aug 2009, 12:13

I AM THE HYENA! OBEY!
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 18 Aug 2009, 12:14

how long until someone registers with that username?
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
The Hyena

Postby The Hyena » 18 Aug 2009, 13:15

BOW BEFORE ME!

My legions know no tolerance and my interrogation methods are itchy!
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 18 Aug 2009, 14:37

*sigh*
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Chemistring

Postby Chemistring » 18 Aug 2009, 14:56

Am I the first one to say this? Hooray for the return of Story Guy's shirt!

I really liked the subtle humour in the video, along with the whiplash theme changes (docu-psa-pledge drive-ish), but then I like this kind of humour in general. It really is the kind of video that rewards multiple viewings. Less laugh out loud moments, but more of a slow release funny, if you will.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 18 Aug 2009, 15:19

Chemistring wrote:Am I the first one to say this? Hooray for the return of Story Guy's shirt!

Well spotted!
Though I assume you've had to inspect his outfit carefully for knitten representations thereof.
Chemistring

Postby Chemistring » 18 Aug 2009, 15:28

Graham wrote:
Chemistring wrote:Am I the first one to say this? Hooray for the return of Story Guy's shirt!

Well spotted!
Though I assume you've had to inspect his outfit carefully for knitten representations thereof.

That is true. Attempting to replicate the shirt in doll form results in a clown costume, however. :(

Also, I totally just walked past you and Paul on the street half an hour ago. You were having a conversation so I didn't want to interrupt. LRR spotting in the wild...what fun!
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 18 Aug 2009, 15:33

Chemistring wrote:
Graham wrote:

Well spotted!

That is true. Attempting to replicate the shirt in doll form results in a clown costume, however. :(

Well, it would result as such at the size you are making them. You could make them larger replications, but then it would be more work.

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”