Lobster vs Scorpion

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Linulo

Re: Lobster vs Scorpion

Postby Linulo » 31 Aug 2009, 22:08

A really funny one...

...I guess. Because sadly, I could just barely understand what's being said in the video. Why? Because the volume is so incredibly low. Why I did not turn up the volume? I did, in the volume widget and in the YouTube player, but I still couldn't understand a thing. Why didn I turn up the amp, you ask? Because I had a boiling hot plate of pasta on my lap. Dammit, I always have when watching LRR videos!

So, please, make the sound a little louder. Millions of people on YouTube can manage it and so can you. I don't care if one in a million samples get near the 32-bit-limit or have some clipping or if using a compressor is considered a sacrilege in the video community.

Please, either edit the sound or talk in CAPSLOCK when recording. Thank you.
Flewellyn

Postby Flewellyn » 31 Aug 2009, 22:09

Sadly, while Graham did a great job of remembering the Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species hierarchy, he did forget about a new one.

Domain. Yes, domain. It comes ABOVE Kingdom. There are three domains, the bacteria (who are not even their own kingdom now!), the archaea (uberweird not-bacteria!), and eukaryota (everything else). So, now it's Domain, King, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species. Mnemonics will have to change! Damn you taxonomists!

Oh, also, funny video. :-)
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 31 Aug 2009, 22:42

Very well written and executed. I liked the camera between the two heads shots, even it if seemed a little crowded at first.

Also, this video makes me glad I never took Biology 11.
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
unknowngamer

Postby unknowngamer » 31 Aug 2009, 22:50

metcarfre wrote:
theDreamer wrote:Also, we eat lobster. We don't eat scorpion. My chain thus shows scorpion as clearly superior.

Scorpion is eaten in some areas of the world.

Hell, you can get scorpion lollipops in parts of the States.

Also: daddy longlegs technically aren't spiders. The kingdom, genus and all that other stuff is correct, but while being arachnids, they aren't spiders. That factoid has absolutely no relevance in the video itself, but I felt like sharing.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 31 Aug 2009, 22:51

Linulo wrote:A really funny one...

...I guess. Because sadly, I could just barely understand what's being said in the video. Why? Because the volume is so incredibly low. Why I did not turn up the volume? I did, in the volume widget and in the YouTube player, but I still couldn't understand a thing. Why didn I turn up the amp, you ask? Because I had a boiling hot plate of pasta on my lap. Dammit, I always have when watching LRR videos!

So, please, make the sound a little louder. Millions of people on YouTube can manage it and so can you. I don't care if one in a million samples get near the 32-bit-limit or have some clipping or if using a compressor is considered a sacrilege in the video community.

Please, either edit the sound or talk in CAPSLOCK when recording. Thank you.

I have my comuter volume at approximately 40% and the youtube video at around 85%. My speakers have a volume cap that is surprisingly low - and this video is perfectly audible, it's also not at all out of line with any other video on youtube volume-wise, so I'd suggest that maybe something's up with your audio levels.

-m
Last edited by Matt on 31 Aug 2009, 23:28, edited 1 time in total.

I am not angry at you.
Lorithad

Postby Lorithad » 31 Aug 2009, 23:01

Gonna have to agree with matt on this one. Audio levels are fine.
Matt wrote:Lorithad, you should be ashamed of yourself. You are bad, and you should feel bad.
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 31 Aug 2009, 23:40

i want that little TV!
as predictable as this was, it was still very funny. i love when graham talks his way out of things awkwardly.

also, audio is fine for me, too.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 01 Sep 2009, 00:28

Flewellyn wrote:Sadly, while Graham did a great job of remembering the Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species hierarchy, he did forget about a new one.

Domain. Yes, domain. It comes ABOVE Kingdom. There are three domains, the bacteria (who are not even their own kingdom now!), the archaea (uberweird not-bacteria!), and eukaryota (everything else). So, now it's Domain, King, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species. Mnemonics will have to change! Damn you taxonomists!

Oh, also, funny video. :-)

Those people who decided that Domain thing are also the ones who said Pluto wasn't a planet. As a 24 year old, who is just a tad bit younger than the Crew (Graham is just under a year older than me), we old fogeys reject your new fangled scientific reality and stick to our old ways. Now get off our respective lawns you damn kids!

***Disclaimer: tak197 does not speak for the LRR crew and is not responsible for any confusion of scientific information.***
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 01 Sep 2009, 00:29

There were a few sections I had trouble hearing properly, but the fully-audible segments were still funny enough to compensate.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Jer
LRR Crew

Postby Jer » 01 Sep 2009, 00:36

Because this is topical RE: Youtube, and because we need to get our stuff dug more often anyway, I hereby invite you to

digg this video

and help us embiggen its views :).
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 01 Sep 2009, 00:49

I have no problem with the audio.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 01 Sep 2009, 01:00

Well I had to listen to it like three times sequentially to get the KPCOFGS stinger, still can't quite hear Falstaff's mumbling after Paul tells him the "spiders ARE anmals" stuff.

Also, Falstaff? Is that a reference to that classic audio from the Dead Gentlemen? If so, I'll take a mountain dew in orange.
Jer
LRR Crew

Postby Jer » 01 Sep 2009, 01:29

Lyinginbedmon wrote:Also, Falstaff? Is that a reference to that classic audio from the Dead Gentlemen? If so, I'll take a mountain dew in orange.

No. It's a reference to prince Hal's dubious Knight friend from Shakespeare's Henry IV ... and I'm pretty sure the Dead Gentlemen character was named 'GALstaff'.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 01 Sep 2009, 01:39

Wow, I'm all kinds of off today...
Lavos
Lavos
First Video: 1337

Postby Lavos » 01 Sep 2009, 02:00

JERS FACE WIN
Also, video was really entertaining throughout, I liked this one.
i dont know what's happening anymore
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 01 Sep 2009, 02:19

SCORPION WINS
teeb

Postby teeb » 01 Sep 2009, 02:50

metcarfre wrote:Scorpion is eaten in some areas of the world.

I have eaten chocolate-covered scorpion. It tasted like KitKat.

I liked this! What happened to the lobster and the scorpion after filming? I can see the lobster being eaten (mmm), but the scorpion? Set free to terrorise the western seaboard of Canada?
bravetoaster

Postby bravetoaster » 01 Sep 2009, 03:20

Lobster wins, unless we're talking about Mortal Kombat. It has claws that could crush the scorpion and a hard shell to protect against scorpion stingers. That's the reason scorpions are on the land, now--they got sick of getting their asses kicked by lobsters.

Since I won the bet, can someone (Paul, I'm looking at you) please make BC closer to the US east coast?
CygnusX1

Postby CygnusX1 » 01 Sep 2009, 03:48

Genghis Ares wrote:Image

SCORPION WINS

after seeing this im going to have to change my vote.
scorpion for the win
we sometimes catch a window, a glimpse of what's beyond
http://www.underaglassmoon.wordpress.com
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 01 Sep 2009, 03:50

bravetoaster wrote:Lobster wins, unless we're talking about Mortal Kombat. It has claws that could crush the scorpion and a hard shell to protect against scorpion stingers.

Except the lobster was red, which only happens after it's been boiled.

Scorpion wins because he's fighting a soggy corpse.

Though if the lobster is actually a zombie...
bravetoaster

Postby bravetoaster » 01 Sep 2009, 04:02

Lyinginbedmon wrote:
bravetoaster wrote:Lobster wins, unless we're talking about Mortal Kombat. It has claws that could crush the scorpion and a hard shell to protect against scorpion stingers.

Except the lobster was red, which only happens after it's been boiled.

Scorpion wins because he's fighting a soggy corpse.

Though if the lobster is actually a zombie...

I stand corrected. Zombie lobster wins. Immune to poison and already dead--no way it could lose to a scorpion.

(What happens if humans get bitten by the zombie lobster?)
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 01 Sep 2009, 04:04

No Audio issues here. Maybe that person had forgotten to turn up the volume in the computer's Volume control.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
Unclever title

Postby Unclever title » 01 Sep 2009, 04:20

I must admit when I first read the title for the video I had assumed it was some sort of Legal battle, a courtroom scene wherein Mr./Ms./Mrs./Dr./Sir Lobster was suing Mr./Ms./Mrs./Dr./Sir Scorpion for some reason, like copyright infringement, considering the convergent evolution thing and all (granted I don't know which one actually came first, but I am assuming the lobster) so I was a little disappointed when I found out this wasn't the case.

Still excellent video and huzzah for making fun of the English language and its similar spelled similar sounding words with ridiculously different meanings!

But if we are to contemplate the fight a little more clearly perhaps we should take into account that these particular specimens of Lobster and Scorpion are plush and rubber respectively. Considering that rubber is more substantial than plush (especially soggy plush) I'm going to have to go with the scorpion on this one.

And daddy long legs are the definitely the most hobo of arachnids for not being proper respected members of Spiderciety. Get a job you tiny yet lanky freeloaders!
My train of thought is more like a roller coaster that has loop de loops and no safety bars.
I don't know if I'm tall enough to ride.
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 01 Sep 2009, 05:23

I learned a new word today, and the forum taught me about biology. How often is a site both this funny and educational?

Also, English is Fun!
Lawman
First Video: 3 PS3s

Postby Lawman » 01 Sep 2009, 05:31

I would like to think that Josh Falstaff is the same character who starred in "Epic Nunchuck Fail".

I tried to imagine what it would be like if someone came across this on YouTube who didn't know who LRR were. They'd think they were going to watch something stupid and funny, and instead you trick them into watching something intelligent and funny. Ha HAA! But this plan fails because you start the video with a LoadingReadyRun announcement and the ubiquitous dot-dot-dot circle triangle. So we can't do that. Shame.

While I'm about it, I like the shot of the iPhone. Was that done in post? Matches up very well with the phone's movement if so.

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”